Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Reality TV Reality TV Show Discussion. Including Survivor, America's Next Top Model, RuPaul's Drag Race and The Only Way is Essex.

Old 20-03-2024, 09:05 AM #1
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Favourites (more):

Default Should the Music Industry start to take singing Shows more seriously?

I look at the current Music charts, and the talent pool I believe is really low in the Music scene at the moment.

I'm not saying that all of the songs within recent years are bad (because that would be stupid,) but the Music Industry is still relying on the talent of singers from a decade or two ago to deliver good vocals.

I mean the current number one in the UK Charts is Beyonce, don't get me wrong she has a great voice, but she's been around since the 90's, It's not exactly a new vocal powerhouse is it?

And I know that previous efforts such as The X Factor and American Idol only churned out the odd successful act, I do believe that to be the case only because the Music industry were being snotty, and didn't want to give their best song material to what they viewed as "Reality TV riff raff," even though a lot of these contestants were actually talented, and could've brought something very much needed to the Music Industry (i.e good singing.)

As I've said on another thread, I've been watching a bunch of different American Idol Seasons recently, and yeah obviously there are some acts that aren't very good imo, but there were definitely some that could sing some of the current big singers off the park, yet unfortunately most of them that I've seen (bar Adam Lambert,) never were really given a proper chance by the Music Industry.

Am I the only one that thinks that a new singing show needs to come out, to actually find good singing talent for the charts?

And just to add, even if the winner isn't easily marketable, if they're talented then the Industry should at least try to push them imo.

KRO!
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-03-2024, 12:42 PM #2
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
I look at the current Music charts, and the talent pool I believe is really low in the Music scene at the moment.

I'm not saying that all of the songs within recent years are bad (because that would be stupid,) but the Music Industry is still relying on the talent of singers from a decade or two ago to deliver good vocals.

I mean the current number one in the UK Charts is Beyonce, don't get me wrong she has a great voice, but she's been around since the 90's, It's not exactly a new vocal powerhouse is it?

And I know that previous efforts such as The X Factor and American Idol only churned out the odd successful act, I do believe that to be the case only because the Music industry were being snotty, and didn't want to give their best song material to what they viewed as "Reality TV riff raff," even though a lot of these contestants were actually talented, and could've brought something very much needed to the Music Industry (i.e good singing.)

As I've said on another thread, I've been watching a bunch of different American Idol Seasons recently, and yeah obviously there are some acts that aren't very good imo, but there were definitely some that could sing some of the current big singers off the park, yet unfortunately most of them that I've seen (bar Adam Lambert,) never were really given a proper chance by the Music Industry.

Am I the only one that thinks that a new singing show needs to come out, to actually find good singing talent for the charts?

And just to add, even if the winner isn't easily marketable, if they're talented then the Industry should at least try to push them imo.
Eurovision started delivering quite some acts to the billboard charts, like Netherlands's Duncan Laurence, Italy's Maneskin, Armenia's Rosa Linn

regarding germany

DSDS has delivered some decent successes tbh

Alexander Klaws (series 1 winner) as of today still relevant, although now more a big name musical theatre star, was the lead star as Jesus last year in their first live easter show of The Passion

Ramon Roselly, landslided to victory in 2020 no audiences due to covid year, with 86% of the vote, afterwards his debut album because an album no.1 chart hit

Prince Damien, following his victory he became more and more popular, also having been crowned King of the Jungle on Ich Bin Ein Star (i'm a celeb) as well as being very popular musician

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-03-2024, 02:00 AM #3

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky91 View Post
Eurovision started delivering quite some acts to the billboard charts, like Netherlands's Duncan Laurence, Italy's Maneskin, Armenia's Rosa Linn

regarding germany

DSDS has delivered some decent successes tbh

Alexander Klaws (series 1 winner) as of today still relevant, although now more a big name musical theatre star, was the lead star as Jesus last year in their first live easter show of The Passion

Ramon Roselly, landslided to victory in 2020 no audiences due to covid year, with 86% of the vote, afterwards his debut album because an album no.1 chart hit

Prince Damien, following his victory he became more and more popular, also having been crowned King of the Jungle on Ich Bin Ein Star (i'm a celeb) as well as being very popular musician
You've named only a handful of names from the recent years of Eurovision, which considering there are normally 26 performers that perform in the final, that's not a very good stat tbh.

Fair play to those few that did do it (in particular Maneskin and Duncan Laurence I do remember being really good in their respective years,) so I'm not too surprised that they've managed to defy the odds of most Eurovision acts these days.

KRO!
Old 21-03-2024, 07:46 AM #4
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Quote:
You've named only a handful of names from the recent years of Eurovision, which considering there are normally 26 performers that perform in the final, that's not a very good stat tbh.

Fair play to those few that did do it (in particular Maneskin and Duncan Laurence I do remember being really good in their respective years,) so I'm not too surprised that they've managed to defy the odds of most Eurovision acts these days.
most countries who compete in eurovision don't care about global commercial successes though

like Serbia, whom more care about domestic chart successes, their artists like Konstrakta, Zeljko Joksimovic, the former Hurricane OG's all have pretty decent solo careers now either although Sanja was already famous before that group, Ksenija well she already was famous as backing vocalist for her father but now she has her own record label

and most balkan countries share each other's artists in record labels, chart successes, also helps them big time that they have many good music festivals, Montenegro will get its own music festival as of next year (maybe it will also be used for eurovision, but they haven't confirmed that yet) good for new montenegrin musical talent

here in my nation Netherlands, most only care about domestic successes either who release in dutch language, newer generations like Meau, Flemming, Goldband, Maan, Froukje

and we have successful festivals like Pinkpop, and also the revival of our Regio Songfestival which also helps in newer talent gain more live performing experience, performing in own dialects/accents/languages

unlike Sweden where they've gone way too plastic these days at SVT also choosing foreigners over own swedish music talent for eurovision now this year

Old 21-03-2024, 07:55 AM #5
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

i myself do not care about the charts

i just listen to whatever i like, and my taste for music is really very diverse, i like almost everything, i also pretend i make my own ''music festivals'' with imagination results based on what i think as fan favourites or jurybait music

Old 21-03-2024, 09:27 AM #6

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
i myself do not care about the charts

i just listen to whatever i like, and my taste for music is really very diverse, i like almost everything, i also pretend i make my own ''music festivals'' with imagination results based on what i think as fan favourites or jurybait music
I've done made up Music competitions myself in the past too.

And with your other points, I get where you're coming from, especially with just liking who you like, because I am similar in that sense, including liking some artists that aren't great vocalists.

I just personally would like the profession of "singer" to actually mean something again, rather than someone just autotuning their voice to sound really mechanical, because they don't really have the talent that they claim to have.

KRO!

Last edited by Mystic Mock; 21-03-2024 at 09:28 AM.
Old 21-03-2024, 09:48 AM #7

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek

We don’t need singing shows, there’s been 1 singular successful person from the voice and someone from the X factor hasn’t been successful for well over a decade, they were entertainment shows, not genuine talent searches
Old 21-03-2024, 09:55 AM #8
You know my methods

You know my methods

"singing shows" seem to be amazed that normal people can sing

every town in the UK has many people who can sing as well as ANY popular star

save say a unique talent like Karen Carpenter

I mean Paul McCartney can't sing - his skills lay elsewhere

the X factor had the right idea but in the end was a show about "finding someone with the x factor" but was never actually about finding someone

the value was in the search

all of this type of show has had its day
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-03-2024, 05:27 AM #9

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam- View Post
We don’t need singing shows, there’s been 1 singular successful person from the voice and someone from the X factor hasn’t been successful for well over a decade, they were entertainment shows, not genuine talent searches
I agree with you that those Shows unfortunately wasted their talent, due to seeing themselves as more of an entertainment Show rather than nurturing the talent that these Shows were actually getting.

My point is that I would like to see a new Show of that type come out, that genuinely was looking for talent to succeed in the charts.

KRO!
Old 22-03-2024, 05:50 AM #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post

the X factor had the right idea but in the end was a show about "finding someone with the x factor" but was never actually about finding someone

Perfect summary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zizu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-03-2024, 05:52 AM #11

Default Should the Music Industry start to take singing Shows more seriously?

Probably the only shows I was truly invested in were the two Fame Academy series and that series where INXS were trying to find a new lead singer !!!

https://youtu.be/TSQj8S6AEC8?si=xQETcx5B0LRgS0Zl

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...BD4JCfb7S-Z3-_

Last edited by Zizu; 22-03-2024 at 05:58 AM.
Old 22-03-2024, 07:49 AM #12
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post

Paul can't also play cards that joke still remains so funny tbh

Old 22-03-2024, 08:55 AM #13

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizu View Post
Probably the only shows I was truly invested in were the two Fame Academy series and that series where INXS were trying to find a new lead singer !!!

https://youtu.be/TSQj8S6AEC8?si=xQETcx5B0LRgS0Zl

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...BD4JCfb7S-Z3-_

That's an interesting idea.

KRO!
Old 22-03-2024, 10:30 AM #14

Quote:
That's an interesting idea.

The INXS series was fab simply due to the prize for replacing Michael Hutchence ..

Imagine your first job was singing all those great songs backed by a great band in stadiums across the world

Old 22-03-2024, 11:00 AM #15

Favourites:
BB2023: Henry

Favourites:
BB2023: Henry

Quote:

I mean there’s still a couple talent shows going on, as you said, but i do think people are over them.
As for contestants, i think how the charts changed over the last 8/9 years really affected their success. Winnings acts that would have come out and had multiple number one singles and albums.. just weren’t, in the last few years of the x factor anyway.. i honestly don’t know anyone from The Voice who’s had continued success bar Becky Hill

As for singers voices, i really don’t understand it. There are great singers out there, independant artists who don’t get mainstream attention but there’s definitely no Mariah Careys or Whitney Houstons in the music scene these days which does suck.

Every guy singer thay comes out be sounding like Ed Sheeran and every girl singer sounds like Dua Lipa.. variety ain’t there
jones89 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-03-2024, 11:01 PM #16

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizu View Post
The INXS series was fab simply due to the prize for replacing Michael Hutchence ..

Imagine your first job was singing all those great songs backed by a great band in stadiums across the world

Unfortunately it definitely isn't a path that I could take in real life, as my singing voice is terrible.

INXS would be on something if they had me as their lead singer, it would be good singing some of their songs though.

KRO!
Old 22-03-2024, 11:07 PM #17

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones89 View Post
I mean there’s still a couple talent shows going on, as you said, but i do think people are over them.
As for contestants, i think how the charts changed over the last 8/9 years really affected their success. Winnings acts that would have come out and had multiple number one singles and albums.. just weren’t, in the last few years of the x factor anyway.. i honestly don’t know anyone from The Voice who’s had continued success bar Becky Hill

As for singers voices, i really don’t understand it. There are great singers out there, independant artists who don’t get mainstream attention but there’s definitely no Mariah Careys or Whitney Houstons in the music scene these days which does suck.

Every guy singer thay comes out be sounding like Ed Sheeran and every girl singer sounds like Dua Lipa.. variety ain’t there
I think that Becky Hill is the most successful contestant from The Voice fullstop, even including international versions, she's definitely done well for herself which is good to see.

And I agree that there are still great singers out there, but like you've said, unfortunately the Media does ignore them because they either don't have the right look, or they have come from a Talent Show, which to me definitely has impacted the Music scene in a negative way, as we're losing out on a lot of good singers due to the attitude of the money people in the Music Industry.

And I agree with you about a lot of the younger men and women trying to sound like Ed or Dua Lipa, it's just not what I personally want to keep listening to.

KRO!
Old 22-03-2024, 11:12 PM #18

Singing competition shows don't really create "stars" these days because the audience figures just aren't there anymore. Back in the days of the peak of The X Factor and Idol, contestants could become household names just from being on the show before they had even released any music of their own and had already started to build a fanbase. That meant that acts like One Direction, Kelly Clarkson, Leona Lewis, Olly Murs, James Arthur, Carrie Underwood, Adam Lambert etc already had the platform for success before they really started their careers, and already had the clout to have record labels give them major funding and backing. These shows just don't have that kind of pull anymore, and basically exist just for the channels to make money from advertising from the people still watching. Most of the public couldn't name a single person that has participated or even won The Voice at all. Going on these shows still might be a great way to network in the industry, but you have a better chance of becoming a genuine star from uploading your music on TikTok these days.
Abra is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-03-2024, 11:19 PM #19

Quote:
I think that Becky Hill is the most successful contestant from The Voice fullstop, even including international versions, she's definitely done well for herself which is good to see.

And I agree that there are still great singers out there, but like you've said, unfortunately the Media does ignore them because they either don't have the right look, or they have come from a Talent Show, which to me definitely has impacted the Music scene in a negative way, as we're losing out on a lot of good singers due to the attitude of the money people in the Music Industry.

And I agree with you about a lot of the younger men and women trying to sound like Ed or Dua Lipa, it's just not what I personally want to keep listening to.
Becky Hill is definitely the most successful contestant from The Voice in the UK, but I'm not sure about internationally. Morgan Wallen was discovered on The Voice US, and his last album spent 18 weeks at #1 in the US and a single that spent 16 weeks at #1 and is selling out stadiums. Melanie Martinez also came from The Voice and her last album was #1 in the US. Becky's not having success quite on that level but she's definitely doing well for herself as one of the biggest dance artists around today.

Interestingly though, for all the success they have had I'm not sure that most people are even aware those artists were ever on The Voice.
Old 23-03-2024, 02:03 AM #20

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abra View Post
Singing competition shows don't really create "stars" these days because the audience figures just aren't there anymore. Back in the days of the peak of The X Factor and Idol, contestants could become household names just from being on the show before they had even released any music of their own and had already started to build a fanbase. That meant that acts like One Direction, Kelly Clarkson, Leona Lewis, Olly Murs, James Arthur, Carrie Underwood, Adam Lambert etc already had the platform for success before they really started their careers, and already had the clout to have record labels give them major funding and backing. These shows just don't have that kind of pull anymore, and basically exist just for the channels to make money from advertising from the people still watching. Most of the public couldn't name a single person that has participated or even won The Voice at all. Going on these shows still might be a great way to network in the industry, but you have a better chance of becoming a genuine star from uploading your music on TikTok these days.
I think that for a Talent Show contestant to succeed, they need to have good songs that the public will like as well.

Something that unfortunately rarely happens.

KRO!
Old 23-03-2024, 02:08 AM #21

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abra View Post
Becky Hill is definitely the most successful contestant from The Voice in the UK, but I'm not sure about internationally. Morgan Wallen was discovered on The Voice US, and his last album spent 18 weeks at #1 in the US and a single that spent 16 weeks at #1 and is selling out stadiums. Melanie Martinez also came from The Voice and her last album was #1 in the US. Becky's not having success quite on that level but she's definitely doing well for herself as one of the biggest dance artists around today.

Interestingly though, for all the success they have had I'm not sure that most people are even aware those artists were ever on The Voice.
Oh yeah I remember Melanie Martinez from her year, It's good to know that she's doing well.

I'm not familiar with Morgan Wallen, but fair play to him, if he is successful.

I think I'm just thinking of the missed opportunities that the Singing Shows have had over the years, especially the top 5 on Season 13 of American Idol, they all vocally sing Dua Lipa, Billie Eilish, Olivia Rodrigo, and even Ed Sheeran under the table, it's not even close imo.

KRO!
Old 23-03-2024, 03:59 AM #22
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

The music industry is no longer the same. Singing shows are a cheap method of exploitive companies to get new acts. The way forward is independent artists in charge of their own destiny
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-03-2024, 05:00 AM #23

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
The music industry is no longer the same. Singing shows are a cheap method of exploitive companies to get new acts. The way forward is independent artists in charge of their own destiny
Fair points.

I do wish that the Singing Shows were operated differently to that though.

KRO!
Old 23-03-2024, 07:43 AM #24
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
who cares about those lazy spoiled rich kid independent artists

Old 24-03-2024, 12:48 AM #25

Quote:
who cares about those lazy spoiled rich kid independent artists
That's not accurate at all Most spoiled rich kids that make it into the music industry are signed to major labels and got their deals through their family connections. Independent artists are much more commonly from poorer backgrounds and aren't born with a foot in the door to the business. The problem is though, the industry is now in a situation where music doesn't sell anymore and streaming services pay so little that it makes it very difficult to be an independent artist and make a living and be able to compete commercially with major label acts, even though there are more opportunities and avenues for independent artists to succeed than ever before.

Last edited by Abra; 24-03-2024 at 12:49 AM.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
industry, music, shows, singing, start