Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 30-07-2007, 01:06 AM #26
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack
No offence nodisharmony but your knowledge of cosmology is too basic to stand in this thread.
This is a debate Jack and knowledge is quite easy to discover, when you go on websites which concentrate on the subject of Astronomy.

Someone brings up a debate and then suddenly, you copy & paste something from an Astronomers site.

I am not interested in doing that, so instead, I pick the brains of the person within this thread, who claims to know so much.

If he can prove himself, I may be inclined to agree?

But as yet, I am a sceptic.

We are listening to Astronomers who claim to know so much about, what is so far away and then make names about Sun's etc....

Your post is noticed, but sadly ignored by myself, as I debate and chat in any thread I choose, regardless of a critic or whatever.......

nodisharmony
nodisharmony is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-07-2007, 01:13 AM #27

Quote:
Originally posted by nodisharmony
Quote:
No offence nodisharmony but your knowledge of cosmology is too basic to stand in this thread.
This is a debate Jack and knowledge is quite easy to discover, when you go on websites which concentrate on the subject of Astronomy.

Someone brings up a debate and then suddenly, you copy & paste something from an Astronomers site.

I am not interested in doing that, so instead, I pick the brains of the person within this thread, who claims to know so much.

If he can prove himself, I may be inclined to agree?

But as yet, I am a sceptic.

We are listening to Astronomers who claim to know so much about, what is so far away and then make names about Sun's etc....

Your post is noticed, but sadly ignored by myself, as I debate and chat in any thread I choose, regardless of a critic or whatever.......

nodisharmony
It's all well just copy and pasting things off websites but you need a basic understanding of the subject which I don't think you have.
Jack is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-07-2007, 01:23 AM #28
Banned

Banned

Quote:

It's all well just copy and pasting things off websites but you need a basic understanding of the subject which I don't think you have.
You'll be surprised at what you don't know for sure Jack

I think we better leave this and let the debate happen, yeah Your opinions are noted, but sadly ignored, sorry

nodisharmony
Old 30-07-2007, 01:27 AM #29

Quote:
Quote:

You'll be surprised at what you don't know for sure Jack

I think we better leave this and let the debate happen, yeah Your opinions are noted, but sadly ignored, sorry

nodisharmony
What's that supposed to mean?
Old 30-07-2007, 08:46 AM #30

"Your opinions are noted, but sadly ignored"

As they say, ignorance is bliss.

Nodis, going on to a web site or reading a book about the subject in hand is called learning in some parts of the world. Just not yours obviously.
Dr43%er is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-07-2007, 08:49 AM #31
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

Quote:
Quote:
knowledge is quite easy to discover
Sometimes I wonder.

Quote:
There's a theory that if intelligent life had ever developed in the universe before life on Earth it should have had time by now to travel to, explore and settle on every planetary system in the universe (or was it galaxy, can't remember).
I heard that theory. Could never quiet grasp the logic behind it though. The theory stops at ''if intelligent life '' if you ask me. because if indeed , then we have no idea and have no concept of this intelligent life .

And 2001 is indeed awesome.
Stu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-07-2007, 09:49 AM #32

Quote:
Originally posted by James
There's a theory that if intelligent life had ever developed in the universe before life on Earth it should have had time by now to travel to, explore and settle on every planetary system in the universe (or was it galaxy, can't remember).

Therefore no other intelligent life has existed away from the Earth because we don't have any evidence of aliens exploring or colonising this planet in its past. QED.

But it's just a theory...

I watched 2001 on TV the other day again. Great film.

Problem with that theory is how do we know that we and the rest of life on this planet is not the result of some sort of alien landing from the past. The state of intelligent life on this planet could be as a result of a previous alien intelligence that lost it's knowledge and capabilities once its landing craft and original occupants had died. Leaving behind their offspring with no knowledge or technology to speak of.....Hence to-day mankind (The original aliens) is slowly regaining technical capabilities it used to have.......
bananarama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-07-2007, 10:02 AM #33
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr43%er

Nodis, going on to a web site or reading a book about the subject in hand is called learning in some parts of the world. Just not yours obviously.
Do you think I have the time or care to start reading Astronomy right now?

The answer to that type of question is obvious

I have given some specific questions which you haven't given your opinions on yet, but instead, pick holes in, Well, you know what

Do you fancy discussing the distance between the orbiting planets to all these other Suns that are too far away for us to ever reach or really see up close???

The Astronomers amaze us with their findings, don't they

Or..............................................

nodisharmony
Old 30-07-2007, 10:07 AM #34
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

Quote:
Quote:

You had the sufficent time and the utmost care to come in to this topic and hit up a few monologues. Ignorance is indeed bliss.
Old 30-07-2007, 10:26 AM #35
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Stu

You had the sufficent time and the utmost care to come in to this topic and hit up a few monologues. Ignorance is indeed bliss.
More nastiness from Stu, am I surprised, well, NO

I was on about the Sun, as in our Solar System, it is very essential to life-as-we-know-it.

I do like your replies:-

Im sure interspace broadband speeds will have shot through the roof in a few years time so no worries their.

The future is bright , and faster than light , with orange broadband [they paid me to say that].

That isn't ignorance, it is banter and pointlessness

But I am not so critical on this occasion, but yet you have the bare-faced cheek to criticise my inclusion within this thread

There are "three-letter-occupants" who wish to say something, Well, you know what and then there are members who wish to give their opinions on whether life does exist on other planets from other Solar Systems.

In my belief, there is NO evidence and there NEVER will be.

Many say it is a possibility and this thread is where members can state their opinions and I do that.

But your three comments are, Well, you know

nodisharmony
Old 30-07-2007, 10:29 AM #36

Quote:
Fair enough, you don't have time and you don't care to learn about the subject you are debating. That does not put you on the strongest footing to convince people your argument is valid. I don't claim to be an expert on this subject but how do i know that their are other suns out there? I can see them in the night sky. Lots of them. That's in a built up light polluted area with the naked eye. Now if I was to put a telescope in space without interference from light and the atmosphere and put not only a very powerful Cassegrain reflector telescope on board but infer red "heat" sensors and "wavelength" sensors then I guess you could get a pretty good view what is out there. Luckily for us some people could be bothered to learn how to do this and have put the Hubble telescope up there. Or are they just making it up for a laugh.
Old 30-07-2007, 10:34 AM #37
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Fair enough, you don't have time and you don't care to learn about the subject you are debating. That does not put you on the strongest footing to convince people your argument is valid. I don't claim to be an expert on this subject but how do i know that their are other suns out there? I can see them in the night sky. Lots of them. That's in a built up light polluted area with the naked eye. Now if I was to put a telescope in space without interference from light and the atmosphere and put not only a very powerful Cassegrain reflector telescope on board but infer red "heat" sensors and "wavelength" sensors then I guess you could get a pretty good view what is out there. Luckily for us some people could be bothered to learn how to do this and have put the Hubble telescope up there. Or are they just making it up for a laugh.
and the size of the Suns?

and the distance between the Sun's which shine so brightly and the orbiting planets which we can't see?

We can't get there to find out?

Should I go on & on & on.....

I do know about Stars in the sky, they twinkle, twinkle little stars and I am aware of such things, even basic Astronomy was taught to us at School.

But, we can only go so far, can't we?

I think we are discussing Life on other planets?

nodisharmony
Old 30-07-2007, 10:41 AM #38
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Stu

I do like your replies:-

Im sure interspace broadband speeds will have shot through the roof in a few years time so no worries their.

The future is bright , and faster than light , with orange broadband [they paid me to say that].

That isn't ignorance, it is banter and pointlessness
Your right. It is banter. Im not the only one. Some of us like to have a laugh. In fact , both those comments were replys to 'banter' someone else posted before me.
Old 30-07-2007, 10:49 AM #39

Just because we can't get there it is not a valid argument as to whether there is life on other planets.

The radiation/light/magnetic wavelengths given off by the stars will give them a good indication of the size and power of any given sun they can focus on.

Are you saying that of all the billions of suns out there ours is the only one to have large rocks orbiting it? And of the trillions of large rocks orbiting the billions of suns that it is not possible that just one (apart from ours) is capable of supporting some form of life?
Old 30-07-2007, 10:49 AM #40

Quote:
I was on about the Sun, as in our Solar System, it is very essential to life-as-we-know-it.

Inodisharmony
No

Initially you attempted to pick apart a post of mine where I quoted Dr Carl Sagan

Quote:
Originally posted by spacebandit

Do I believe in life out there ?

I've agreed with Dr Carl Sagans comment about that - "if we are the only intelligent life in the universe, its a hell of a waste of space"

So yes I do, statistically it is a certainty.
the quote specifically mentions "universe"

You were not "on about" our solar system.

You stated that other stars and planets are too far away from our sun to support life as they are too distant from our sun

Quote:

You first need to look at where the Sun is.

Then, you need to measure the distance between the Sun & Earth.

After that, go see if there are any planets or stars with life on them.

After the scientists and astronomers come up blank, then start to go away from the Sun and keep going & going & going, until the planets and stars are much further away from the Sun.
These planets will be less likely to be inhabitable, since the temperature level of the planet will be so-much below freezing, that the chances of life would be impossible.

Then you go even further away and then you get to understand the word "Impossible" and that is the answer to your question.

nodisharmony
I have emboldened the relevant section where you include "stars" in your theory as to why it is impossibe for life to exist elsewhere.

You ignore, I must assume because you do not know that other stars are actually suns, and some of those suns have planets orbitting them.

and yes, we do know that other stars are orbitted by objects of smaller mass- i.e. planets,

Quote:

and the distance between the Sun's which shine so brightly and the orbiting planets which we can't see?

nodisharmony
As for planets orbitting those nearby suns, actually we can "see" some of them and know they exist

Maybe you should browse some astronomical websites and learn a little about direct imaging, astrometric (position) wobble, radial velocity wobble, high-precision photometry (transits) and gravitational microlensing.
spacebandit is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-07-2007, 01:19 PM #41

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I do know about Stars in the sky, they twinkle, twinkle little stars and I am aware of such things, even basic Astronomy was taught to us at School.

But, we can only go so far, can't we?

I think we are discussing Life on other planets?

nodisharmony
The size of the "Suns" can be measured quite acurately by looking at their absolute magnitudes and measuring the radiation they admit then placing them on a Hertzsprung Russell Diagram. We don't need to compare the distance between our Sun and Earth with other stars and planets because some stars are much hotter making a planet the distance of 1 AU (the distance between the Earth and the Sun) from it too hot to contain life and some stars are much cooler therefore the planet needs to be much closer.
Old 30-07-2007, 01:49 PM #42
Banned

Banned

Quote:

The size of the "Suns" can be measured quite acurately by looking at their absolute magnitudes and measuring the radiation they admit then placing them on a Hertzsprung Russell Diagram. We don't need to compare the distance between our Sun and Earth with other stars and planets because some stars are much hotter making a planet the distance of 1 AU (the distance between the Earth and the Sun) from it too hot to contain life and some stars are much cooler therefore the planet needs to be much closer.
Thanks for your information Jack.

Astronomy is a subject I don't really cover much and I know I am not alone on that score, but it is always nice to share opinions of what people know.

It is amazing what astronomers/scientists can find out, regarding Suns so far away. It is a pity that we can never get there to find out.

I did say before to you:- If he can prove himself, I may be inclined to agree? Your contibution above is very convincing

I sometimes reply to threads like this, just to create a debate and if members tactfully explain what they know, I shall pick at bits & pieces, etc.. (just to create a debate), regardless of what I know or don't know? But sadly Jack, some are not so tactful and that progresses into a War of words with agressive tones....

Suddenly, your post came in and I apologise if I went over the top with you.

I personally think that there is no life on other worlds, but that is just something I believe personally and it has nothing to do with proof, as we can't get proof anyway, as there is no way for us to reach other solar-systems where those closest two Suns are.

But, with technology improving year by year, who knows what could happen in the future.

I shaln't bother replying to the other two members who have commented in this thread, as it is just a case of going around in circles, etc...

nodisharmony
Old 30-07-2007, 02:18 PM #43

can we debate the topic at hand and steer clear of making personal comments about each other. Each and every person has brought their thoughts to this thread and it is not for anyone else to be-little them.
Sunny_01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-07-2007, 03:35 PM #44

Not only do we have the ability to detect planets orbitting nearby stars, we can now detect the water vapour in an atmosphere of a planet orbitting a nearby star

http://www.spitzer.caltech.edu/Media.../release.shtml
Old 30-07-2007, 03:42 PM #45

Quote:
Not only do we have the ability to detect planets orbitting nearby stars, we can now detect the water vapour in an atmosphere of a planet orbitting a nearby star

Wow. That's quite amazing. I think it's quite probable that there is life existing on planets orbiting nearby stars, closer than we think, let alone the whole universe.
Old 30-07-2007, 04:30 PM #46

Quote:
Quote:

Wow. That's quite amazing. I think it's quite probable that there is life existing on planets orbiting nearby stars, closer than we think, let alone the whole universe.
I'm in total awe of the people who created a system where we can detect water on a planet trillions of miles away.

Mathematics - the bane of schooldchildren, I hated it as well, is what the teachers always said it was - the key to everything - astonishing stuff
Old 30-07-2007, 04:48 PM #47

Hey Spacebandit. Thanks for the link. Fascinating stuff. On the images bit, they are just tiny sections of what is out there. Just simply WOW. How anyone could believe out of all that stuff out there we are the only ones. For the record I believe that there is life out there but not in aliens visiting us.
Old 30-07-2007, 08:40 PM #48

Quote:
Hey Spacebandit. Thanks for the link. Fascinating stuff. On the images bit, they are just tiny sections of what is out there. Just simply WOW. How anyone could believe out of all that stuff out there we are the only ones. For the record I believe that there is life out there but not in aliens visiting us.
Same here, we're not alone but we won't meet the neighbours in our lifetimes.

And you know - I feel a Python moment coming on :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JSR_6qfXTg

Old 31-07-2007, 08:54 AM #49

Sorry mate, did that back on page one. Always good to see it though.
Old 31-07-2007, 11:37 AM #50

Quote:
Sorry mate, did that back on page one. Always good to see it though.
Indeed you did. apologies for the repetition

But as they say - you can't get enough of a good thing

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
eruption, mars, mud