Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Chat and Games Looking for forum games, and completely off topic banter - this is your place! (includes Virtual Big Brother type forum games)

Old 24-10-2007, 09:18 AM #26

Mainly self-taught. I first started using the computer at a young age only really to play games (which my dad put on for me, so technically I wasn't learning much). Then I started using email, websites etc. but wasn't aware what was good and what wasn't - again just going along with what I was told. Although ICT isn't taught much at my school, in the early years I did learn the basics, i.e. important things such as using the Microsoft package.

To be honest I don't use all of the stuff I learnt, which is why I have forgotten a lot. But since then, I have become more computer-literate through using forums, other sites and programs such as making graphics, picking up useful tips on the way. I probably don't type like everyone else, but through practise I've become really fast! I attempt to solve any problems but am still not 100% sure... it's things like that other members of my family are better at. But I do think that through self-teaching I've managed to learn a lot of things which will be useful both now and in the future.
Bells is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 09:29 AM #27
GetReadyToFly

Favourites (more):
BB12 USA: Rachel
Dancing on Ice 2010: Danniella
GetReadyToFly

Favourites (more):
BB12 USA: Rachel
Dancing on Ice 2010: Danniella

Self taught, i learnt myself and i know quite a lot about PCs/laptops now, when i was 8 i started using the old Microsoft 98 models at school (Our school was behind the time computer wise) i started playing math games and i developed a interest when i was 9, so i would stay in at breaks and lunches and play on the computers, i followed that routine (Well i tried too) for 2 years and in that time i became quite a dab hand at computers, sadly at the time i didn't have one at home.
When i went to Secondary school, i needed a computer for school work and things so my parents went ahead and purchased one, (After i moved house since the at this house there's endless room for a pc) so at 11/12 i knew quite a lot, then round about my 12th birthday i got Internet and started joining forums, once my mate got me into wrestling in started joining forums and Role playing as a wrestler on them, and that helped develop my typing skills so at 13 i knew what to do on a pc if it crashed, so I've been involved with computers since i was 8 and I'm 15 now so 7 years i have been on PCs for, and when i turned 14 i got a laptop of my own with the Internet so I'm quite pleased with my knowledge of computers.
Ruth*Star is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 09:37 AM #28

Favourites (more):
CBB18: Ricky Norwood
Strictly 2016: Greg Rutherford

Favourites (more):
CBB18: Ricky Norwood
Strictly 2016: Greg Rutherford

self taught i got a computer when i was 13-14 and got the internet a year after that i only used it for chatrooms then i joined tibb and started stopping off chatrooms and going on forums. I dont reallly do graphcs but i do have my own website i only really use the internet for forums and using msn really
BigSister is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 11:03 AM #29

I was lucky, I lived in a student house with 5 blokes who were all doing some kind of computer course attached to their Masters Degree so there was always a pc around and being nosey I just asked questions. One taught me flash, the other taught me to design and others to manipulate photoshop etc.

I then worked in the online stockbroking department of a financial firm and gained more knowledge of how to solve problems with various different operating systems.

And now I live with Red Moon.... and the amount of computers around our home is unbelievable. I keep asking to maybe slimline them but it never happens
~Kizwiz~ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 11:32 AM #30
ylvis♥

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: John & Edward

ylvis♥

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: John & Edward

Self taught =] I used to go to places where people would help eachother out with HTML and what not so I thought I would try it for myself. =] That was when I was 13, now I'm 15 and I want to be a graphics designer. I started with PSP 2 years ago, now I use Photoshop CS3 and I looove it.
I also taught myself how to use HTML, CSS and all of that web language;]
Sarah. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 11:44 AM #31
Loving Lucien!

Favourites (more):
BB12: Jay
CBB8: Lucien

Loving Lucien!

Favourites (more):
BB12: Jay
CBB8: Lucien

I got my first computer for Christmas when I was 7 (an Amstrad, 80's make for those of you that don't know) and also enjoyed using the BBC computers (showing my age here lol!) with my friend in primary school - I was "the computer expert" in Years 4 and 5 and always helped people with computers when they were struggling.

I first started using PC's when I got one at home whilst still living with my parents, I was mostly playing games on it until I did a course at college and some bits with Learndirect for a while, when I got broadband I started visiting sites and forums. I taught myself HTML and design my own sites, I'm learning CSS too and have used that for my Shayne site - I'm always jealous of the well-designed sites some of my friends do so I picked up techniques and I'm always showing them stuff I've done so they can encourage me. Everyone says my sites are really good even if I don't believe it myself!
Nicola is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic