Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:00 PM #26

I gave you that evidence already remember? I'm not denying there are countries with a higher suicide rate than the US. I told you Lithuania was highest remember?

So I fail to see your point? I don't want the Uk to be like an eastern block country anyway.

I was talking about the Netherlands, it was you who brought up northern europe. You said drug abuse was worse in the Netherlands, which is not true. It is worse in the US than the Netherlands.

Also, the uk is not that much bigger than the netherlands. I think their policies could benefit the uk but neither of us know, unless these policies were actually adopted.

I think the policies of holland would work better here than US policies would, hence why I don't think we are similar enough to be called the 51st state. I think we have more in common with neighbouring european countries and I'm glad.

On prostitution... it is easier to measure prostitution in the netherlands as many register. It is harder to track the extent of the problems of prostitution in both the uk and US. Also, more prostitutes doesn't necessarily mean more problems anyway. Prostitution levels and abuse of prostitutes are two different matters.
Matt10k is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:05 PM #27
Banned

Banned

you said you want the UK to be like the netherlands...

i said other european countries , becuase you mentioned "Belgium " AND "etc"...

you ASKED for evidence to prove that the european countries are higher in the suicide rate, I gave it to you.

right now without having the Nertherlands Drug & Prostituion policies the UK & the USA are Higher than them in the world economy.

Quote:
Also, on the 'higher rate of depression' I'd really need to see some evidence
so then i gave you the highest rate of suicide... as you said no one can know the stats of depression...

Quote:
The netherlands, belgium etc...
so i gave you the list of all the countries in the world, not even just the countries in europe

everyones entitled to an opinion matt, but an opinion can be fabricated from frustrated agendas.
usa4eva is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:13 PM #28

But the uk and netherlands aren't... Suicide rates actually don't shed much light on depression as only a very small number of people actually commit suicide as opposed to those who may be depressed + I’d already given you a perfectly reputable source for suicide rates anyway, which showed how high it was in eastern block countries so I didn’t see the point in you giving me this information again?! Especially when I was comparing the US, uk and Netherlands originally.

Also, economy isn't everything to me. I already gave you my reasons for preferring countries like the Netherlands to the US i.e. I agree with many of their liberal policies, they have significantly lower drug abuse, per % of the population, much lower homicide rates and I identify more with the culture. This is my opinion, like it or leave it.

And isn't your economy failing anyway?
Old 06-02-2008, 07:20 PM #29
Banned

Banned

first of, you werent comparing them originally, you said "belgium and etc" i was the one who picked up on the netherlands.

If depression isnt a significant cause of Suicide, then I dont know how your mind works lol? or do you want evidence of statistics showing what is the highst cause of suicide amonst europeans countries (as the economoy in europe is far different from other in the world) (note: how i take other things in consideration when making opinions (trying my best not to be ignorent))

and i dont think theres any point repeating the facts of the size and population between the two countries, as you wont pick up on it

uhhm, failing and its still higher than the UK & Holland...?

You want cannabis on the streets of the UK?
Old 06-02-2008, 07:28 PM #30

Quote:
Originally posted by usa4eva
first of, you werent comparing them originally, you said "belgium and etc" i was the one who picked up on the netherlands.

If depression isnt a significant cause of Suicide, then I dont know how your mind works lol? or do you want evidence of statistics showing what is the highst cause of suicide amonst europeans countries (as the economoy in europe is far different from other in the world) (note: how i take other things in consideration when making opinions (trying my best not to be ignorent))

and i dont think theres any point repeating the facts of the size and population between the two countries, as you wont pick up on it

uhhm, failing and its still higher than the UK & Holland...?

You want cannabis on the streets of the UK?

You fail to understand my point. Suicide rates do not prove that the average person in a particular country is more depressed than the average person in a country with lower suicide rates or that more people are depressed. Only a very small proportion of depressed people actually go on to commit suicide. Understand now? Your point is especially irrelevant considering I never said I wanted the uk to be like any of the countries you mentioned in europe with higher suicide rate.

Also, I did always mean the netherlands and countries like it such as belgium. In case you haven't got that by now, I am still only talking about the netherlands and belgium so don't get too petty over the 'ect'. I simply meant the netherlands and countries similar to it such as belgium.

Also, I have taken many things into consideration and have mentioned them several times when forming my opinion that I would prefer the uk to be like the netherlands than the US. It seems you are finding this difficult to accept. Sorry, but it is my opinion and if you check some of the evidence I have given you on how the netherlands and US vary, you will see my opinion is not ignorant at all.

And cannabis is already on the streets of the uk...
Old 06-02-2008, 07:32 PM #31

(this is what I said)

"I prefer the more laid back attitude of countries like The netherlands, belgium etc... I would like the uk to become more like these countries."

See, nothing to do with any statistics, this was just my opinion that other countries are more laid back than the US. And after that, I only mentioned the netherlands! So I think you are trying to misquote me by lumping this in with the later discussion we had on suicides etc.. in which you brought nothern europe into it even though I never said I wanted the uk to be more like an eastern block country!
Old 06-02-2008, 07:36 PM #32
Banned

Banned

its my opinion as well that the Netherlands is a small country in Population, Land and Economy and cannot prove to be an example of the Drug & Prositituin problem.

If cannabis is already on the streets of the UK, would you think legalizing it fully will increase job prospects in the UK?

if so how comes Job Prospects is higher in the UK than in Netherlands

Old 06-02-2008, 07:41 PM #33

I would like the uk to be more like the Netherlands. I’ve told you why and also given my opinions, as well as evidence showing that the US has higher drug abuse statistics (% OF THE POPULATION). The US also has a much higher homicide rate (% OF THE POPULATION). I don't like your lax gun laws either and many other aspects of your culture.

So just to be clear, I would prefer the uk be more like the netherlands than the US. I think it is a pretty well formed opinion. If you find it difficult to accept, this is your problem not mine.

And why the heck are you linking legalisation of cannabis to job prospects?!
Old 06-02-2008, 07:50 PM #34
Banned

Banned

all your saying is I want the uk to be like the netherlands, whats that supposed to mean? what just the drugs and the sex trade policies, or anything else...

your NOT linking cannabis with job prospects?

the netherlands with freeier access to all the things you say you want, has a lesser economy, which means as you said the economy doesnt matter as much to you... they have less technological advancement for medical and science than the UK and the USA. And now your telling me that Cannabis doesnt have a link to job prospects?

everyones entitled to an opinion, and everyones entitled to debating
Old 06-02-2008, 07:57 PM #35

Quote:
all your saying is I want the uk to be like the netherlands, whats that supposed to mean? what just the drugs and the sex trade policies, or anything else...

your NOT linking cannabis with job prospects?

the netherlands with freeier access to all the things you say you want, has a lesser economy, which means as you said the economy doesnt matter as much to you... they have less technological advancement for medical and science than the UK and the USA. And now your telling me that Cannabis doesnt have a link to job prospects?
Oh dear... You can't just say something is lower and then blame it on something you think could be the cause. Cannabis is more widely used/ abused in the uk and US than the netherlands anyway! and these are as a % of the population so america/ uk having a larger population is factored in. So that argument falls flat!

http://www.unodc.org/pdf/research/wd...prevalence.pdf

Also, the Netherlands and Belgium are very advanced medically. a lot of people in the uk actually go to belgium for certain operations.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:59 PM #36

everyones entitled to an opinion, and everyones entitled to debating [/quote]

Gee, thanks. Here's me thinking you were getting annoyed just because I didn't want the uk to be like the US. Nice to know I'm allowed my opinion.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:14 PM #37
Banned

Banned

uhm the UK and the USA are higher in technology and economy.even it was per % having a small population lessens the spread of drugs. When a country is Superior in Economics, Drugs USE can CATALYSE more than in a lower country, SO if the UK & USA legalise it, AS the two countries are more superiour, legalization will cause more Devastation becuase theres more potential for devastation in higher countries.What else do you like about the netherlands apart from the Canabbis and Sex Trade?
Old 06-02-2008, 08:23 PM #38

Drugs are a choice I can choose to take or not take and I choose to not take them. I've already proved abuse is lower in the netherlands than US and you are trying to talk around it. Perhaps legalising in the US would lead to more problems- likewise, even though the uk is much smaller, it could cause more problems. It could also have more benefits and even improve things- neither of us know as this policy has not been adopted here.

I do know we are trying to get more like the netherlands in this way though as cannabis laws were relaxed a few years ago. A small amount on your person is usually just confiscated and the person carrying now only recieves a warning. This has improved things. It also helps to free up our overpopulated prison situation.

Still, I don't see cannabis as a serious problem and wonder why you choose to dwell on this and not other more serious drugs (that may I add are also more widely abused in the states than the netherlands).

Lets not talk about availability either. Drugs are probably more available in the Netherlands than any other place in the world.

The US and uk are not higher in technology than the netherlands. I used to work for the nhs and a lot of our equipment was even manufactured in the netherlands and also quite often germany. My parents also work for the nhs and I know a lot of the best scanning electron microscopes are manufactured in holland.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:33 PM #39
Banned

Banned

just coz you worked for the nhs, doesnt mean that the netherlands are more superior in technology, if they were again, there economy would be higher than ours. Its even obsurd to think that the Netherlands have higher technology than in the USA, ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt10k
Perhaps legalising in the US would lead to more problems- likewise
why do you think that is? is it becuase of what i said about a higher economy having more of a downfall if canabis was legalised?

Cannabis causes depression, there are more people in the USA and the UK than in the netherlands, more people would feel the affects of cannabis and the depression and suidicdes it causes. Yet as I have already proved that the UK and the USA have a lower suicide rate, per %.

and what I further say and keep repeating is if you believe the netherlands is an example WHY IS IT THERE ECONOMY IS LESSER, hence there drug use policies?

if you dont believe that cannabis doesnt causes depression and it cannot lead to suicide then your just trying to talk your way out of this
Old 06-02-2008, 08:40 PM #40

Err... The netherlands suicide rate is lower than the US!!:

http://www.who.int/mental_health/pre...iciderates/en/

Also, me working for the nhs proves more than anything you have said. Most of what you say is pure speculation.

We have adopted laws similar to that of the netherlands and seen benefits.

Your policies don't work as well over here.

Also, I would feel safer in the uk/ netherlands as our homicide rate is MUCH lower (%). Also, of the three which country do you think has the most problems with organised crime, gang culture, gun crime etc... Shouldn't be too hard to figure out!

And yes cannabis can cause depression. It's more widely used in the US per person than the netherlands and the US suicide rate is higher. Maybe there is a link there, maybe it is another factor...
Old 06-02-2008, 08:54 PM #41
Banned

Banned

eer.... your 'evidance' doesnt show the %,

you dont even state the benefits you claim to be having by copying the netherlands.

The USA economy and the UKs econmoy are higher than the Netherlands, what benefits from what country?

you may feel safer from crime in certain states BECUASE AMERICA IS A BIGGER COUNTRY THAN A VIRTUAL ISLAND THE THE NETHERLANDS IS.

i just keep repeating my self...

America has a far more liberal minded culture (DESPITE THE DIVERSE STATES), there is far more less racism (take note), far less technological advancement, and far less suicide rate per %, far more athletical (do you want stats on the olympics)

would you think cannabis would improve the economy of the USA and the UK, so much so as like the netherlands
Old 06-02-2008, 09:04 PM #42

Quote:
eer.... your 'evidance' doesnt show the %,

you dont even state the benefits you claim to be having by copying the netherlands.

The USA economy and the UKs econmoy are higher than the Netherlands, what benefits from what country?

you may feel safer from crime in certain states BECUASE AMERICA IS A BIGGER COUNTRY THAN A VIRTUAL ISLAND THE THE NETHERLANDS IS.

i just keep repeating my self...

America has a far more liberal minded culture (DESPITE THE DIVERSE STATES), there is far more less racism (take note), far less technological advancement, and far less suicide rate per %, far more athletical (do you want stats on the olympics)

Try "READING" all of the information, where it explains these are statistics per 100,000 of the population (standard measurement). The Netherlands suicide rate is 19.3 (combined) per 100,000, US is 21.7, UK is 15.2. So the US is the HIGHEST!

I did give you benefits, you just haven't listened. Less people sent to prison for small amounts of cannabis caused by relaxing the laws on possesion frees up our over crowded prison system.

And yes, I would feel safer in the UK or netherlands as proven by our much lower homicide rates as a percentage and the fact handguns are illegal. Your 'island' comment is irrelevant.

Suicide rate is higher in the US. The link I posted is from 'WHO' (World Health Organisation) and the authority on statistics such as these. Also, your 'liberal' comment is opinion. I believe the netherlands is more liberal than the US.

Evidence shows your arguments are false so you are just wasting my time...
Old 06-02-2008, 09:09 PM #43
Banned

Banned

The netherlands, belgium and ETC (some of the region) are higher in the suicde rate in the world... some how you escaped that.

you said belgium and ETC so dont tell me im getting petty over it.

what you keep escapeing also is that results THE US HAVE COMPARED TO HOLLAND.

WHO HAS THE HIGHER ECONOMY OUT OF HOLLAND AND THE USA??

WERE ARE HOLLANDS RESULTS THERE?
Old 06-02-2008, 09:11 PM #44
Banned

Banned

if you took the regions bloc around Holland to MAKE IT UP AS MUCH AS THE USA, IN ECONOMY AND LAND AND POPULATION

THERE POLICIES OF ECONOMY AND CULTURE... ARE INFERIOR THE TO USA
Old 06-02-2008, 09:18 PM #45

Quote:
if you took the regions bloc around Holland to MAKE IT UP AS MUCH AS THE USA, IN ECONOMY AND LAND AND POPULATION

THERE POLICIES OF ECONOMY AND CULTURE... ARE INFERIOR THE TO USA
How about literacy

Lol, either take my evidence or leave it!
Old 06-02-2008, 09:19 PM #46
Banned

Banned

When you say you want it to be more like "The netherlands, Belgium etc" you didnt state what all those countries such as belgium, holland and etc have in common, apart from the fact that they all have less foriegners.

is that what you meant you want your country to be like ... like holland, belguum and etc (similar countries)

you know like those countries who have the highest suicide rate in the world?
Old 06-02-2008, 09:24 PM #47
Banned

Banned

you provided nothing but speculation, what evidance?

you dont provide anything of what holland, belgium etc can benefit the UK?
Old 06-02-2008, 09:28 PM #48

Ok, I'll make it really simple then. I prefer the Netherlands to the US. I don't want the UK to be more like the US.

Also, you were wrong about suicide rates and drug abuse and the evidence is in the links I have given.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:35 PM #49
Banned

Banned

lmao

Spell out which top countries have the high suicide rate in the world??

you can choose not to believe it all you want
Old 06-02-2008, 09:37 PM #50

Favourites (more):
BB12: Anton
CBB7: Stephanie

Favourites (more):
BB12: Anton
CBB7: Stephanie

For those who haven't been to America and have only seen what its like on TV, its good but nothing to write home about. Its not as good as its made out to be and I still prefer places like Spain and Portugal.
Tom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
51st, britain, state