Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Music This forum is for discussing artists, singles, albums, the charts and anything music-related.

Old 20-06-2010, 08:38 AM #201
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

Well that's really swayed my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 01:27 PM #202
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

M.I.A. - /\/\ /\ Y /\

With two previous albums that earned more critical attention than public, Maya Arulpragasam finds herself inbetween a rock and a hard place. There's going to be the inevitable expectations to continue making the artistic and pointful music she's earned such praise for (Arular and Kala both performed highly in end-of-the-decade critics' lists). But a surge in public attention due to the genius single "Paper Planes", showcased in more films and promotional pieces than you can shake a stick at, has made her music a whole lot more mainstream.

Indeed, her media presence thus far this year has not been ignored. She's inescapable - one week she's ranting about the state of Lady GaGa, the next she's producing Christina Aguilera songs. The video for her single "Born Free" has drawn millions of complaints and controversy with its depiction of ginger-haired people enduring the same kind of genocide and army persecution that other races have.

So what of the music?

The album opens with 'The Message' and its computer keyboard-tapping and lyrics "head bone connects to the neck bone. Neck bone connects to the arm bone. Arm bone connects to the hand bone. Hand bone connects to the internet bone. Internet bone connects to the Government bone." set over loud synths and heavy drumming. A brief glimpse of the album's experimental (with instruments) sound, and a rather critical stab at Google for (as she's mentioned in interviews) its neglect to provide much in the way of coverage of Sri Lanka (her home country)'s violence.

"Steppin' Up" has been confirmed as the second single and it's not hard to see why. With catchy hooks and lyrics (rub-a-dub-dub) and a distinctive pneumatic drilling sound, M.I.A. is full of confidence in her assertions that "you know who I am", in what is further evidence of this being her most energetic and 'loud' album yet.

Next up is her first single, "XXXO", a satirical piece taking the style of almost every popstar's single - using fashionable memes (xxxo) and parodying other artists' singles such as Lady GaGa's Pokerface and Love Game. "You want me to be somebody who I'm really not" perhaps a hint of her uncomfortability with mainstream attention. It's one of the year's catchiest singles thus far, and demonstrates anything they can do, M.I.A. can do better.

'Teqkilla' follows with further dubstep influences and a tribal-sounding drum beat. Electronic beeps and whizzes are thrown in almost at random giving the track a crazed feel, helped by M.I.A.'s almost menacing vocals, but at over 6 minutes long it's easy to lose track. 'Lovalot' follows and concentrates further on her more satirical and political sides, namedropping the Taliban, Hu Jintao and Mecca. Delivering these so casually along with the line "I fight the ones that fight me" give it an intense feel.

'Story to be Told' offers a more traditional sound that is a lot easier on the ear, still catching attention with sounds of aeroplanes taking off and sirens, as Maya retails "all I ever wanted was my story to be told". With her preceding albums named Kala and Arular after her parents, /\/\ /\ Y /\ is all about establishing M.I.A.'s own identity and you can sense her urgency in doing so here. 'It Takes a Muscle' follows, with bizarre distorted vocals set over an exquisite and almost reggae electronic tune, helping to cement her universal appeal.

'It Iz What It Iz' is a more conventional modern tune in its use of a synth-laden beat and in that sense it's a disappointment. However, 'Born Free' follows and its sample of Suicide's "Ghost Rider" is put to fantastic use. Full of energy, Born Free is a demonstration of M.I.A.'s (i hate to use the word but it fits here) swagger and the power she can, and wants to, assert. "I don't want to live for tomorrow, I push my life today, I'll throw this **** in your face when I see you, 'cos I've got something to say" particularly stands out.

'Meds and Feds' follows and with a return to the more industrial sound, with heavy electric guitars and electronic jumps that gives it an equally energetic (as Born Free) feel. Its hook makes it one of the album's stand-out tracks. 'Tell Me Why' follows and with a much more laidback feel, with M.I.A. reverting to singing rather than her typical rap delivery. However, all of its simple appeal is unfortunately overshadowed by confused and rather directionless lyrics.

The album finishes on 'Space' and continues with the singing and infectious electronic sound. The lyrics "my lines are you down, you can't call me" hint at a detached M.I.A. - or at least from modern technology, which is something she hesitantly attacks. Of course, the problems often outweigh the benefits, but when said benefits are helping her career, it's a difficult pill to swallow.

--------------------------------------------------

In conclusion, /\/\ /\ Y /\ is an extremely strong follow-up. In some respects it even outweighs its predecessors, particularly in energy and popular appeal. However, I get the sense it's going to lose many of her older fans in doing so. But eh, there're some who only want to cling on to the trendy and unknown. Some of the songwriting here is the best of the year by miles, and M.I.A. is nowhere near past her prime just yet.
Highlights: XXXO, Steppin' Up, Meds and Feds, Lovalot, Story to be Told
Avoid: Tell Me Why

Rating: 8/10

Quote:

Old 22-06-2010, 01:57 PM #203
User banned

Favourites (more):
BB15: Danielle
BBUSA16: Cody

User banned

Favourites (more):
BB15: Danielle
BBUSA16: Cody

can someone review Daisy dares you album thats coming out in july i think you would like it shaun you should listen to "rosie"

and JLS new album out in july and Shayne Wards album out in july pls
MeMyselfAndI is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 02:00 PM #204
the kids we used to be

Favourites (more):
BB11: Ben
X Factor 2010: Aiden Grimshaw
the kids we used to be

Favourites (more):
BB11: Ben
X Factor 2010: Aiden Grimshaw

XXXO is a tune. <3

twitter-- twitter.com/carackobama

CaraRawr is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 05:21 PM #205
BURLESQUE

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Olly Murs

BURLESQUE

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Olly Murs

Miley Cyrus - Can't Be Tamed

Hannah Montana star Miley Cyrus approaches her 18th birthday this year. Having already released two very successful pop albums to her obedient tween audience and achieved worldwide success with the chilled, cool Party In The USA as well as keeping up a striving movie career, one poses the question, how does the Queen of Tween make her transition to bonafide pop princess. With this record, Miley snarls back, 'watch and learn...'

The album kicks off with the fiesty and ferocious declaration of freedom Liberty Walk. Miley snaps about those who have 'tied her up' across zooming synths and makes it clear this is a new Miley Cyrus - the rebellion has begun and if you don't like it you're out of luck. Who Owns My Heart follows, a eurotrance club tune with whispered vocals asking who owns our teen sensation's heart - love or art? One would judging by this record so far - cash, truly posses Miley's heart.

Things flow nicely on to the album's lead single Can't Be Tamed, a Piece of Me-esque electropop stomper with similar themes of being uncontrollable and free. The little girl who skipped around a stage singing the Best of Both Worlds is now fully sexed up and rebelling against society's expectations. Not exactly an original concept for an album given those who came before her's almost identical defiance. Miley begs those around her in the album's bridge 'don't change me', yet on the contrary, it seems to be Miley herself who is making the changes here.

Miley takes the autotune down a notch on the record's first ballad. Every Rose Has It's Thorn is a clichéd, unoriginal dribbled shmaltz-fest. Luckily, things don't get stuck in the mud as she swiftly picks things back up again with the peppy, guitar ridden Two More Lonely People. Miley once again shows that she can bash out a typical bouncy pop affair with the best of them. Having already lived through three public relationships, Miley sings with more emotion and sincerity than ever before.

Forgiveness and Love confirms what was becoming more apparent. While Miley has never been so experience and genuine in her entire career, she seems to have totally lost her knack for belting out a decent ballad like we saw on The Climb and Simple Song. From what was definite low point, the record swiftly moves on to one of Miley's best ever pop songs. Permanent December is a Ke$ha like, autotuned flirtatious electro romp complete with a chanting sing along chorus and childish lyrics that make you want to forget your troubles and dance.

Stay is probably the strongest ballad of the record. She manages to wail with an ounce more conviction than before over a generic dramatic instrumental. Following this, Scars is cute little song but ultimately, filler material, with no apparent purpose other than to make up numbers. The pianos kick in once again on Take Me Along an optimistic, mid tempo power anthem that's totally pleasant and enjoyable, if a little forgettable.

The album closes how it began with it's final couplet comprising of Robot and My Heart Beats For Love. The former is an edgy, loud demonstration of liberation demanding those around her to stop treating her as a machine, claiming she's just 'me'. The latter, she claims to have penned for the gay community - if the girl can do nothing else, she can hedge her bets. It works well as a closing farewell and what could be Miley's last ever pop song as the singer recently revealed her plans to retire from pop music altogether.

Miley accomplishes quite a bit with this record. By the third track alone she's shed her Hannah Montana image and you forget that this seductive, brazen pop vixen was once a tween sensation. Whilst you won't find a single morsel of originality here, what Miley does provide is a thoroughly enjoyable, consistently well produced fluffy pop record. She sings with more vocal prowess and conviction than ever before and really makes you hope that her plans to bow out from music for the foreseeable future fall through. However should her plans remain intact, Can't Be Tamed serves it's purpose as a very worthy farewell to pop.

Strongest Tracks: Can't Be Tamed, Permanent December, My Heart Beats for Love, Liberty Walk.
Weakest Tracks: To be quite honest none of the ballads did much for me, but I'll definitely be skipping Forgiveness and Love further more.

DO SOMETHING SHOW STOPPING

Last edited by MrGaryy; 23-06-2010 at 03:25 PM.
MrGaryy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 10:32 AM #206
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

Have heard Can't be Tamed, Take Me Along and Permanent December...and they were all naff. She's turned into a parody of every other popstar out there - and it's a shame. She had some potential with decent songs like Party in the USA/7 Things, but now...oh dear.

Quote:

Old 28-07-2010, 09:38 PM #207
ELECTRA HEART

Favourites (more):
BB13: Lauren
The Voice 2012: Vince Kidd
ELECTRA HEART

Favourites (more):
BB13: Lauren
The Voice 2012: Vince Kidd

M.I.A's new album is the secong best of the year i reckon.its so awesome!I think Tell me why is one of the best though!

Damaris is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 09:43 AM #208
lolwut.

lolwut.

Nightmare by Avenged Sevenfold

This album takes you on a dark journey. A7X continue to make unique, and simply outstanding masterpieces. Since Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan died, they changed the majority of the lyrics so they were about him. Everything is performed well on this album, Mike Portnoy did the drumming well, which The Rev had wrote before he died. Synyster Gates and Zacky Vengeance continue to do their brilliant duo's, Matt Shadows as always, has the great rock n roll voice. Johnny Christ is as good as ever with his bass.

This album was made to sound like their earlier stuff from Waking The Fallen and City of Evil. It has a mixture of moods like the most of their songs, but this is probably the darkest album yet. It was a hard year for them, making this album, especially since the death of The Rev, their drummer/backing vocals/pianist/songwriter.

Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan died 3 days after finishing all the notes and lyrics, including doing the demo of the drumming with his electronic drum kit. He wrote the majority of songs, including the piano, and some orchestra bits. He is one of the most creative musicians of modern times, and has made a lot of masterpieces for A7X, such as "A Little Piece of Heaven" from their self-titled album.

"Fiction" is a spooky themed masterpiece, "So Far Away" is a song Syn wrote dedicated to the Rev, a sad themed song just like the song "Save Me" which is 11 minutes long, their longest song yet, and it's simply amazing, can bring a tear to your eye. "Nightmare" is a kind of crazy song, like "Bat Country" from City of Evil, but it's crazy in a spooky way. They have lots of other great songs with good riffs, such as "God Hates Us" and "Buried Alive". "God Hates Us" is quite a heavy song unlike the rest of the other songs on Nightmare. It is heavily influenced by Pantera. "Victim" is also a great masterpiece, with vocals from other singers, a song that's speaks a lot about the Rev, since Matt changed the lyrics. The rest of the songs are great aswell, they are catchy and you can easily tell each song apart.

Overall, they continue to surprise us with their talent and musical knowledge in this album, and I'm sure Jimmy would be proud.

Last edited by lol; 29-07-2010 at 09:47 AM.
lol is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:37 PM #209
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

ew.

I post mine on my blog

Quote:

Old 07-12-2010, 06:53 PM #210
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke. View Post

Lady GaGa - The Fame

1. Just Dance - 10/10
2. LoveGame - 10/10. She can take a ride on my disco stick whenever she wants.
3. Paparazzi - 10/10
4. Poker Face - 10/10
5. I Like It Rough - 10/10
6. Eh Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say) - 8/10
7. Starstruck - 10/10
8. Beautiful Dirty Rich - 10/10
9. The Fame - 4/10
10. Money Honey - 9/10
11. Boys Boys Boys - 7/10
12. Paper Gangsta - 9/10
13. Brown Eyes - 6/10
14. Summerboy - 10/10
15. Disco Heaven - 7/10
16. Again Again - 8/10

I don't usually like this kind of music, but Lady Gaga is great, and this album is one of the best that I have heard in a long time. She is probably my favourite new artist of 2008/2009, and I expect her to have a lot of hit singles from this album.

Best song on the Album: Starstruck and Just Dance.

Overall - 9.3/10

The scars on my mind are on replay
Smithy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:56 PM #211

Favourites (more):
CBB20: Chad Johnson
BB14: Dexter

Favourites (more):
CBB20: Chad Johnson
BB14: Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke. View Post

Lady GaGa - The Fame

1. Just Dance - 10/10
2. LoveGame - 10/10. She can take a ride on my disco stick whenever she wants.
3. Paparazzi - 10/10
4. Poker Face - 10/10
5. I Like It Rough - 10/10
6. Eh Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say) - 8/10
7. Starstruck - 10/10
8. Beautiful Dirty Rich - 10/10
9. The Fame - 4/10
10. Money Honey - 9/10
11. Boys Boys Boys - 7/10
12. Paper Gangsta - 9/10
13. Brown Eyes - 6/10
14. Summerboy - 10/10
15. Disco Heaven - 7/10
16. Again Again - 8/10

I don't usually like this kind of music, but Lady Gaga is great, and this album is one of the best that I have heard in a long time. She is probably my favourite new artist of 2008/2009, and I expect her to have a lot of hit singles from this album.

Best song on the Album: Starstruck and Just Dance.

Overall - 9.3/10

Were you drunk or something?

"She was left for dead on the sands of Tatooine, as was I. But fate sometimes steps in to rescue the wretched."
Novo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:56 PM #212
Locke.

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
CBB20: Paul Danan

Locke.

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
CBB20: Paul Danan

**** sake I forgot about that
Locke. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote