Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

The X Factor 2004-'08 [S1-5] Discussion of previous series (2004-2008) and the contestants. Winners were Steve Brookstein, Shayne Ward, Leona Lewis, Leon Jackson and Alexandra Burke.

Old 19-12-2008, 10:50 PM #26
Gatorade me, Bitch!

Gatorade me, Bitch!

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom
Quote:
Originally posted by Linda
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom
1) The only alternative to knocking X Factor off the top spot is err ... the same song? What happened to getting a Christmas song there instead?
2) Jeff Buckley was signed to Sony- just as Alexandra is. Simon Cowell will be profiting from this in some way
3) Its not the original, yet this was the reason why it was to be downloaded which says it all about people who pretend to be a big music fan and taking the moral high ground
4) Its more publicity for Alexandra- people being anti-Alexandra will make other people be sure to buy her single
5) It isn't a moral triumph for music or anything else like that which people are claiming

1. There is no alternative to XF getting off the top spot. It's already miles ahead of all the other tracks.

2. Simon Cowell's profits were not the reason the anti-XF campaigners started the campaign.

3. This was only the reason stated by some people. A lot of people are well aware that Leonard Cohen is the original artist, and there is a demand for his version also.

4. Again, it's more anti-XF than anti-Alexandra. She's a product of a TV show which has a lot of critics.

5. Who are these people you speak of?
There is an alternative. If a song is made and the media gets behind it properly then there will definitely be a rival. Its just that noone has attempted anything on that scale before.

Partly that is the reason why some have started it. Some have said they want to buy the song to spite Simon Cowell, because he is responsible for a good song being ruined and it will damage his ego if Alexandra isn't number one blah blah blah.

A lot do know the original artist, you're right. But some people also claim that its the original, do a facebook search and you'll see that.

It may be anti-XF, but the more people want someone else to be Christmas number one, more people could buy Alexandra's single just to spite those people for spiting XF/Alexandra in the first place.

You'll see a lot of the people in the XF boards on DS. A lot of them think they're real music fans, and to be a real music fan you have to prefer originals over covers etc. Musical snobbery comes into play over acts coming from the talent show background as well.
1 - I mean there is no alternative at this moment, for this week, for this year's Christmas #1. It's too late to try to challenge the XF release no matter how much support the facebook groups have.

2 - Simon's profits and Simon's ego are two separate things.

3 - I'll take your word for it. It's certainly highly likely. There are a lot of stupid people in the world, and most of them have a high speed connection.

4 - Yes, I agree, fans of XF will buy the single to spite the XF haters. Whether they are haters/fans of XF or of Alexandra makes no difference to the point you make.

5 - I refer you to point 3 with the idiots. There are a lot of people who jump on the nearest bandwagon. There are also a lot of people who claim to know things which they clearly know ****-all about.

lily. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-12-2008, 10:53 PM #27
Banned

Banned

I'm supporting the Jeff Buckley version because I think it's superior. Although I've grown to like the first minute or so of Alex's version (Where she's just singing with a guitar and not a flippin' gospel choir and orchestra then it gets stupid).

Hallejulah is a very understated song and it doesn't work well when it's overproduced like the X Factor version. X Factor songs in general are DIRE as they're just a quick and easy recording of a song that's bound to get to number 1, you can almost hear the sound of cash registers in the ice cold arrangements in them. They're swiftly forgotten and nobody really likes them much after the initial week (How many times have you played Leona's or Leon's XF singles recently?).

All the X Factor singles have the same formula, listen to them one after the other and you'll pattern emerging. I'm angry that the XF has used such a mechnical way to murder a brilliant song. I just wish they didn't bring in an orchestra or choir, Alex's Hallejulah might have been decent then.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-12-2008, 10:59 PM #28
Gatorade me, Bitch!

Gatorade me, Bitch!

I think it's a damn shame for Alexandra.

All this furore (some of it justified) and none of it was her decision. Someone else took the decision to have her record that song. Someone else took the deicsion to have that arrangement. And, someone else took the decision to have it released in time for Christmas.

All this stuff aside, Alexandra is a bloody good singer in my view, and hopefully she'll be given decent material to work with and have a good career after this.

The XF winner single is always diabolical though, in my view.
Old 19-12-2008, 11:20 PM #29
Banned

Banned

My thoughts exactly, I'm not against Alex just the XF single.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-12-2008, 11:32 PM #30

I think what isn't very clever is people thinking that buying a single record will make any realistic difference to its chart position. One sale is a drop in the ocean when it takes 100s of thousands of sales to make number one.
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-12-2008, 10:39 AM #31

Favourites (more):
BB12: Anton
CBB7: Stephanie

Favourites (more):
BB12: Anton
CBB7: Stephanie

I agree with the last few posts about the winners single. And if they're going to use the same formula then they might as well just write a new song, I mean Peter Kay did it alright and got the sound of the winning single spot on.
Tom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-12-2008, 06:36 PM #32

why do people care so much about anything as stupid as what this thread is about

people buy whatever music they like and as i have said before the singles chart is in essence democratic and people buy what they like and the song with the most sales win

but why should it bother anyone if their favorite song doesn't make it to no.1 , you know you like it who cares about what a "No.1" sticker says . . . . .
decdec456 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 11:04 AM #33

The 'buy Buckley's version' was no doubt a protest rather than a serious threat to ANY X Factor winner's song, that people see as a nailed-on Xmas number one. In fact Buckley's version sold around 80,000, which is 20,000 + less than Leona's Run when that first got to number one.
I don't see a way past the XF winner's song, unless something incredible occurs (like Cowell scrapping the show!).
robb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 11:07 AM #34
Gatorade me, Bitch!

Gatorade me, Bitch!

Even if they don't scrap the show, all he has to do is release the winner's single in a diff week. It's guaranteed the top spot anyway, no matter what time of year it gets released.
Old 22-12-2008, 11:09 AM #35
can't nobody hold us down

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Joe McElderry

can't nobody hold us down

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Joe McElderry

Jeff's version will drop down pretty fast I think. Leona seems to be gaining more momentum each week, and she wasn't far behind him anyway. The whole XF effect would have worn off people by now. Alex still has to drop down from 500,000 into the 100,000s for someone else to overtake her.
MarkWaldorf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 11:10 AM #36
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Quote:
Originally posted by Dezzy
I'm supporting the Jeff Buckley version because I think it's superior. Although I've grown to like the first minute or so of Alex's version (Where she's just singing with a guitar and not a flippin' gospel choir and orchestra then it gets stupid).

Hallejulah is a very understated song and it doesn't work well when it's overproduced like the X Factor version. X Factor songs in general are DIRE as they're just a quick and easy recording of a song that's bound to get to number 1, you can almost hear the sound of cash registers in the ice cold arrangements in them. They're swiftly forgotten and nobody really likes them much after the initial week (How many times have you played Leona's or Leon's XF singles recently?).

All the X Factor singles have the same formula, listen to them one after the other and you'll pattern emerging. I'm angry that the XF has used such a mechnical way to murder a brilliant song. I just wish they didn't bring in an orchestra or choir, Alex's Hallejulah might have been decent then.
I agree with every single word.
GiRTh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 11:12 AM #37
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):
UBB: Brian
BB11: Josie
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):
UBB: Brian
BB11: Josie

I like Jeffs better and am fed up I cant guess Xmas number 1 any more as it will be the X factor song everytime even if they released humpty dumpty!
NettoSuperstar! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 12:46 PM #38

Favourites:
BB11: John James

Favourites:
BB11: John James

Quote:
Originally posted by GiRTh
Quote:
Originally posted by Dezzy

I agree with every single word.
x3
ange7 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 12:51 PM #39
Jen

Jen

Its not out of spite...
I love Simon Cowel and all that he does and Alexandra is a huge talent.. I just know that Simon is cashing in with the song.. I just want to see what Alex does next, a song that is hers and not Simon Cowels.
ps... Jeff Buckley deserves a No.1 more than a woman who has been in the offical music business for 9 days.
Jen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 12:52 PM #40

Quote:
Originally posted by JDIZZEL
Its not out of spite...
I love Simon Cowel and all that he does and Alexandra is a huge talent.. I just know that Simon is cashing in with the song.. I just want to see what Alex does next, a song that is hers and not Simon Cowels.
ps... Jeff Buckley deserves a No.1 more than a woman who has been in the offical music business for 9 days.

<3
Hugo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
buying, cowell, jeff's, people, spite, stupid, version