Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 27-12-2008, 04:42 AM #26
Classic

Classic

Yes the strawberry flavoured milk is nice... Well i should say it was nice due to the fact that its in ma belly.

Just being random
andyman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-12-2008, 04:48 AM #27
Classic

Classic

You should be the new temp mod, i know you would be fair... Then again its if you have the time to do so.
Myself i can't become a mod, my spelling is weak and i already have a warning, i doubt any mod has a warning against their name.
I am sure admin will pick a good member to fill the post.
Old 27-12-2008, 05:33 AM #28

Favourites:
BB11: John James

Favourites:

is that an avatar of you trying to get to sleep .... or is it you after taking your daily "strawberry" prescription?
Seriously though about the time machine. We can have a whip round and build you one ... the " good old days" are waiting.
Look!!! Potsie from the 80's says hi

Think of it andy ...the 80's!... none of that political correctness you hate so much .. a truly golden "happy days" age.

One thing that happy days and your idea of the "good old days" has in common is that they are both fantasies.
ange7 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-12-2008, 06:54 AM #29
Classic

Classic

Woohoo!
Old 27-12-2008, 07:05 AM #30
Classic

Classic

Yes ange lets get rid of "PC" .... Common sence anyone or will that offend people?
Big brother... Oh no that might offend people that are big and that are brothers, maybe best family would be better, ahhhh.

My pride intact knowing that people will not be offended of somthing that they wont even find offensive, "PC" must stamp out all common sence at all costs and make the world a better place... Should i say world or earth, dont want to offend.
Old 27-12-2008, 07:25 AM #31

Quote:
Originally posted by letmein
Why is it illegal for anyone in the UK to defend themselves?

What are women supposed to do if they're attacked by a rapist? Just lie there and take it?

The UK is a joke now. You can't do anything with something being deemed illegal.

I agree about the rape comment, I mean if somebody did try to protect themselves and actually knock them out, the rapist would probably press charges!
Also going slightly off topic but I think its ridculous how if a burgular breaks into your home you can't protect yourself as your the one that would be arrested for attacking them...
But seriously why do people need a knife as protection, people are only carrying knifes to "protect" themselves with other people carrying knifes, if nobody carried them in the first place other people wouldn't be as well.
Xander is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 04:16 AM #32

Favourites:
BB17: Jayne

Favourites:

I like how people equate defending one's self as the same action as the criminal attacking. Unbelievable, but not really.
letmein is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 06:02 AM #33

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
I like how people equate defending one's self as the same action as the criminal attacking. Unbelievable, but not really.
yeah but if we did it your way it would turn into the wild west with everyone carrying knives. If everyone carries knives to defend themselves then criminals will start carrying guns ... using your previous logic we would then all be within out rights to start carrying guns to protect ourselves. Nah better we make the streets safe by increasing police presents and increasing sense a of community in out neighbourhoods rather than than increasing the number of weapons and then justifying it by saying it's for protection.
Old 29-12-2008, 12:04 PM #34
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):
UBB: Brian
BB11: Josie
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):

But 15 years in prison?? cmon join the real world!
NettoSuperstar! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 05:26 PM #35
Classic

Classic

Quote:
Originally posted by ange7
Quote:
yeah but if we did it your way it would turn into the wild west with everyone carrying knives. If everyone carries knives to defend themselves then criminals will start carrying guns ... using your previous logic we would then all be within out rights to start carrying guns to protect ourselves. Nah better we make the streets safe by increasing police presents and increasing sense a of community in out neighbourhoods rather than than increasing the number of weapons and then justifying it by saying it's for protection.
Yes more police on the streets is the start

Old 30-12-2008, 03:25 AM #36

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Quote:
I don't believe they were using knives in the Wild West.

Sorry, but no number of police are going to save people from being attacked. People should have the right to defend themselves against street thugs. Enough is enough. You're going to see an increase in violence with the economic collapse, and wait until the Tories get in power. All hell is going to break loose. You better get a bat of some kind... but wait, can you get locked up for 15 years carrying a bat? How about a shovel? Women better stop wearing heels, they could kill someone!

Britain has become a totalitarian country. People who defend themselves or fight back, will get jail time. There's no justice in the country, and if you think police are going to protect you, you're seriously naive. If someone breaks into your house, can you stab them with a household knife? What jail time do you get for that?
Old 30-12-2008, 11:09 AM #37

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry, but no number of police are going to save people from being attacked. People should have the right to defend themselves against street thugs. Enough is enough. You're going to see an increase in violence with the economic collapse, and wait until the Tories get in power. All hell is going to break loose. You better get a bat of some kind... but wait, can you get locked up for 15 years carrying a bat? How about a shovel? Women better stop wearing heels, they could kill someone!

Britain has become a totalitarian country. People who defend themselves or fight back, will get jail time. There's no justice in the country, and if you think police are going to protect you, you're seriously naive. If someone breaks into your house, can you stab them with a household knife? What jail time do you get for that?
you didn't just say they didn't have knives in the wild west did you?...lol sorry but that cheesy emoticon didn't win the argument either.
..anyway you missed the point. Wild west was analogous to lawlessness and people defending themselves as per your pretty wierd utopia of guns and knives for all.

I guess your point is if people are planning to walk through a dark and scary part of town then they'd be nuts not to take something for protection...pepper spray, a knife whatever. Fine but that isn't the final solution ( no pun intended German dude). We don't want people to have to carry knives all the time because that will just escalate the problem. Criminals will then need to carry guns if we all have knives. If they carry guns then we will need to carry guns too..... hence the wild west analogy. I didn't think it was so subtle that you'd miss it all together, but there it is repeated again just for you.

You also ignored my main point that the solution ought to be a community based one ... neighbours looking out for each other, being pro active and not standing idly by. Criminals aren't going to attack in a neighbourhood where at the first call for help 5 or 6 big guys come out with cricket bats ( I've seen this happen hehe). Unfortunately people usually live in neighbourhoods where people look out for number one and "don't want to get involved" shame. A sense of community and connectedness will help with crime as much as extra police but more police are still needed. Your solution of longer sentences has been proven over and over again not to work but what exactly that has to do with Britain being a "totalitarian country" is something I'm kind of afraid to ask.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:37 AM #38
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):

I'd just like to add Im not for carrying knives I just think there are people out there who do stupidly because they are scared, and they dont neccesarily deserve to go to prison. Infact it would be crazy to think that is a solution for everyone. I agree with more police on beat in rough areas and community groups and so on like Ange said, and some kind of guidance for some, like Billy said.
NettoSuperstar! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:16 PM #39

Favourites (more):
BB12: Anton
CBB7: Stephanie

Favourites (more):

There are more reasons for carrying knives than just to hurt someone. Some people use them for self defence because of everything in the media atm about attacks on the street. Should people be put in jail just for wanting to feel safe?
Tom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 03:21 PM #40

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom
There are more reasons for carrying knives than just to hurt someone. Some people use them for self defence because of everything in the media atm about attacks on the street. Should people be put in jail just for wanting to feel safe?
who you arguing with ... and who said there was only one use for knives? ... so random
Old 01-01-2009, 04:04 PM #41

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom
who you arguing with ... and who said there was only one use for knives? ... so random
Noone, I was just giving my opinion on the situation as a whole. Is it a crime to do that and I have to just argue with thats already been said? Its not random at all
Tom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 07:18 PM #42

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

you didn't just say they didn't have knives in the wild west did you?...lol sorry but that cheesy emoticon didn't win the argument either.
..anyway you missed the point. Wild west was analogous to lawlessness and people defending themselves as per your pretty wierd utopia of guns and knives for all.

I guess your point is if people are planning to walk through a dark and scary part of town then they'd be nuts not to take something for protection...pepper spray, a knife whatever. Fine but that isn't the final solution ( no pun intended German dude). We don't want people to have to carry knives all the time because that will just escalate the problem. Criminals will then need to carry guns if we all have knives. If they carry guns then we will need to carry guns too..... hence the wild west analogy. I didn't think it was so subtle that you'd miss it all together, but there it is repeated again just for you.

You also ignored my main point that the solution ought to be a community based one ... neighbours looking out for each other, being pro active and not standing idly by. Criminals aren't going to attack in a neighbourhood where at the first call for help 5 or 6 big guys come out with cricket bats ( I've seen this happen hehe). Unfortunately people usually live in neighbourhoods where people look out for number one and "don't want to get involved" shame. A sense of community and connectedness will help with crime as much as extra police but more police are still needed. Your solution of longer sentences has been proven over and over again not to work but what exactly that has to do with Britain being a "totalitarian country" is something I'm kind of afraid to ask.
When people use the term "Wild West", the first thing that comes to mind is pistols, not knives.

Counting on neighbors to look out for one another, is exceptionally naive. People want to be left alone. People move in and out of flats. Many don't even know there neighbors, or even have enough time to. Psychologically, people don't get involved in disputes. They stay out of it. This is basic sociology, with statistics to back it up.

Totalitarian government is basically a police state where you lean to government to handle everything. People deserve to have the freedom to defend themselves, and not have police looking into people's windows and getting all involved in everyone's lives, just in an effort to keep people safe. It's totally 1984. Police and the government can then take away everyone's liberties in an effort to "keep citizens safe." That's dangerous. Fascists regimes start this way.

I agree with having more police around, but jailing people for having protection on their being is just taking it way too far. The prisons are already filled beyond belief. Nothing good will come out of locking someone up for the smallest of crime, putting them in a cell with a million other seriously dangerous criminals.

You are using a ton of supposition. Carrying knives, does not lead to carrying guns. You need to draw the line. Everything can be deemed a weapon. It's too much power for government to have over everyone's lives. We don't need mommy and daddy government baby proofing everything for us.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
'don't, jail, knife, teens'