Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

BB10 Big Brother 10 from 2009 was won by Sophie Reade.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:25 PM #26

Quote:
Originally posted by tenez.le.droit
We are representative of our own country and culture; we are its product – and it is especially true when we are the sole representative that another group encounters… Shouldn’t you feel like that when you are visiting a foreign country? Isn’t the expectation that we are all, effectively, ambassadors – don’t we all shy away from the British examples who misbehave abroad or embarrass us as a nation?

Big Brother has been in existence for a decade; I presume that every candidate is vetted, psychologically profiled, etc. extremely thoroughly. With this level of appreciation, Big Brother must have had an excellent notion as to how Sree would behave and his character traits. As such, what was Big Brother trying to achieve with its representation of Indians? I would have expected them to implant an especially worthwhile role-model when they were looking for a native Indian – especially after the purported world-wide furore with the Jade Goody Celebrity series – what was the motive for placing such an egregious person as Sree for everybody to disparage?
But whatt's that got to do with being anachronistic?

GeorgeOrwell is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:28 PM #27

Mecca?
Did you mean the dance-hall?
Mecca is in Saudi Arabia and the centre for moslems.
RCW1945 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:32 PM #28

Quote:
Originally posted by jay303
we should bitch slap his ass back to mecca.
numb nut mecca would have been more apt had sree been a muslim,looks like i should virtualy bitch slap you back to pre school
tintedshadow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:34 PM #29

Is he Hindu?
xerophytes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:36 PM #30

Quote:
Originally posted by vesavius
Quote:
We are representative of our own country and culture; we are its product – and it is especially true when we are the sole representative that another group encounters… Shouldn’t you feel like that when you are visiting a foreign country? Isn’t the expectation that we are all, effectively, ambassadors – don’t we all shy away from the British examples who misbehave abroad or embarrass us as a nation?

Big Brother has been in existence for a decade; I presume that every candidate is vetted, psychologically profiled, etc. extremely thoroughly. With this level of appreciation, Big Brother must have had an excellent notion as to how Sree would behave and his character traits. As such, what was Big Brother trying to achieve with its representation of Indians? I would have expected them to implant an especially worthwhile role-model when they were looking for a native Indian – especially after the purported world-wide furore with the Jade Goody Celebrity series – what was the motive for placing such an egregious person as Sree for everybody to disparage?
Waffle and white noise. Your agenda is nonetheless clear.

You didnt even answer my direct and clear questions.

Should every British person acting like a nasty or rude t*** on TV apologise to the Nation everytime they do so? Should I as an individual be judged on someone elses behavior, just because they are British?
I think the point of the threadstarter is that... if you are a different national and go to a diff country with a very public show or event, you actually seems like a representative.

So if a British national go to BB USA, then it will look like an Indian in BB UK.

Get my point?
Old 02-07-2009, 06:06 PM #31

^^ that point i can sort of understand..and to be fair if someone from the uk went to bb usa and did well,we would be claiming them as ours and if they failed hard i think we'd probably distance ourselves.. such is life i suppose
Old 02-07-2009, 06:36 PM #32

Yes, but he titled it "anachronism". Perhaps he thinks Sree is a throwback to The Raj.
RCW1945 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:48 PM #33

Favourites (more):
BBUSA20: Samantha
BB18: Ellie

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally posted by xerophytes
Quote:
Quote:

Should every British person acting like a nasty or rude t*** on TV apologise to the Nation everytime they do so? Should I as an individual be judged on someone elses behavior, just because they are British?
I think the point of the threadstarter is that... if you are a different national and go to a diff country with a very public show or event, you actually seems like a representative.

So if a British national go to BB USA, then it will look like an Indian in BB UK.

Get my point?
I understand his point, sure, but I don't agree.

For example, I don't see anyone demanding an apology to any of the Brits that go to the US to be professional assholes to the British public.
vesavius is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:55 AM #34

Quote:
Quote:

Firstly, please know I have never taken any of your remarks personally - although I note you appear to have taken mine. Secondly, I apologise for not answering - I understood your questions were rhetorical.

As I have said, the British members of the House are a group, further they are being perceived by a British audience - the dyanamics are different in Sree's case.

As I have said, and continue to say, Sree is a sole representative - I have rtionlised this in my previous posts.

I strongly suspect Sree was placed in the house as a sop subsequent to the Jade Goody farago.

Watching last night's hour-long condensation of the day, I wonder even more about Channel 4's agenda - the fact that Sress was effectively non-existent on the programme, Halfwit being by far and away the major protagonist, suggests that they are atempting to redress the situation discussed in this post. There was a complete lack of equanimity bearing in mind both candidates are up for eviction today... Peculiar, when it appeare that Sree was able to offer so much 'entetainment' during every other programme...
tenez.le.droit is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:05 AM #35

Why Mecca? He is not Muslim!
scary is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:06 AM #36

Quote:

Firstly, please know I have never taken any of your remarks personally - although I note you appear to have taken mine. Secondly, I apologise for not answering - I understood your questions were rhetorical.

As I have said, the British members of the House are a group, further they are being perceived by a British audience - the dyanamics are different in Sree's case.

As I have said, and continue to say, Sree is a sole representative - I have rtionlised this in my previous posts.

I strongly suspect Sree was placed in the house as a sop subsequent to the Jade Goody farago.

Watching last night's hour-long condensation of the day, I wonder even more about Channel 4's agenda - the fact that Sress was effectively non-existent on the programme, Halfwit being by far and away the major protagonist, suggests that they are atempting to redress the situation discussed in this post. There was a complete lack of equanimity bearing in mind both candidates are up for eviction today... Peculiar, when it appeare that Sree was able to offer so much 'entetainment' during every other programme...
I have rarely seen a contributer to this forum use so many words to say so little.
Prole is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:13 AM #37

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just because I say you waffle and that I understand your true point, it dosent mean I have taken anything you said 'personally'. I understand how you are approaching this debate though.

Tbh, the bottom line is that your view on this is simply garbage. I will now withdraw from this thread as I don't want to bump someone with your thinly veiled, though obvious, agenda any more.
vesavius is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:25 PM #38

Quote:
Originally posted by jay303
we should bitch slap his ass back to mecca.

Umm Mecca is an Arab Muslim city, what does that have to do with Sree who is an Indian Hindu? Please brush up on your geography.
HalfwitFTW is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:19 PM #39

Quote:

Yes but what's this got to do with anachronisms?

GeorgeOrwell is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:32 PM #40

Quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeOrwell
Quote:

Yes but what's this got to do with anachronisms?

Apologies for creating the enigma - I a rying to make a very uneucated reference to the questionable point in timeat which Sree was placed in the house subsequent to jade Goody's hoo-ha
Old 03-07-2009, 07:40 PM #41

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Such nonsense.

No man is a representitive of any country, only of himself.

I happen to hate Kris more then Sree, and think he is fundementally a more vile person. Should every t*** on TV be forced to apologise to their home country?

Idiocy.

If you were watching the Indian version of Big Brother, and you were watching the only native English person – the sole representative of your culture on the programme, acting in the same manner as Sree – how would you feel?

.... an equitable, politically correct view... /snip
On the first question I would judge that person on his own behaviour. I wouldnt be so ignorant to judge an entire culture on him, or indeed think he owes that culture an apology. Thats just idiocy.

British people act like sh!ts on TV day in day out, do you really demand an apology from all of them to the British people? Ridicolous.

On your second question... I am aware that you offer up being 'political correct' as an snide insult, but thats ok, I don't mind that.

Sree is a t*** because Sree is a t***, nothing more nothing less.

Stop trying to subersively trying to turn this into a race issue. Your cover is paper thin.
As said in the abovementioned - I took nothing personally - however, your reference to a 'snide comment' does appear to suggest that you did feel this. Nor have I called you an idiot - hence, with respect, it is you who has introduced a personal aspect to this exchange.

You accuse me, I feel, of being a racist - I think this is extremely unlikely as a first generation British Indian myself.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:43 AM #42

Quote:
Originally posted by Cody™
He is representative of himself, not his country. You're the one being stereotypical.
So, you do not feel embarassed about English Football hooligans when they have rampaged in other countries? And, you would safely and confidently holiday in Baghdad believing you would not be viewed as a representative of the West - you would be just responsible for yourself? And the British embassies in Eastern Europe adopting a policy of doing the bare minimum to assist members of stag parties has nothing to do with a feeling that Britain is tarnished by their behaviour...

It was mentioned by another writer that Britons do not apologise for being badly behaved - Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand appear to have been forced by media authorities to do just that - hence, there does appear to be a precedent.

Lastly, I am intrigued as a person who did not go to university, how a person with Sree's languange limitations can be undertaking a Masters Degree at an English University. I am further interested to know how somebody with such dire inter-personal skills, devoid of emotional intelligence was elected to be the Chairman of the Students' Union at that establishment?
Old 04-07-2009, 05:40 AM #43

wow,ok well first off ross and brand had to apologise for disrespecting a fellow thesbian's grand daughter (or maybe his daughter) live on radio,which has nothing to do with sree..sree has nothing to apologise for..

and why you feel his language limitations should have any bearing on him doing a masters degree i dont know,perhaps you dont know this he has the same rights as any other student if he qualifies with the right grades..

you clearly lack the understanding for even the most basic rights of a individual and yet want to some how propose sree must apologise?a first generation indian you may be,but open minded to a fellow indian you are clearly not..
Old 04-07-2009, 07:01 AM #44

Just a note for the English language thing. prior to enrolling to a university, you are required to take up an international English proficiency test. And you need to get a required mark to be able to get into the program.

So, if Sree managed to make it to a Masters degree, he should have got a rather satisfying mark.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:06 AM #45

is that a sweeping generalisation or is that how all universities work?cause i know for a fact it is not the case in nottingham uni and i shall indeed ask my girl at herts uni what she reckons..
Old 04-07-2009, 07:11 AM #46

Quote:
Originally posted by tintedshadow
is that a sweeping generalisation or is that how all universities work?cause i know for a fact it is not the case in nottingham uni and i shall indeed ask my girl at herts uni what she reckons..
I am an international student. And yes, prior to entry, you need to successfully achieved a certain mark.

BUT, an exception to the rule here are English speaking countries, such as USA, Australia, etc. Because, obviously, you came from a country which speaks the language, brought up there and studied in an English speaking school; thus your first language is English.

From what I remember, there are cases on which international students are not directly able to enter a bachelors program, they need to take a one year thing, which I forgot what you call it. As far as I know, that "thing" is meant to help you improve your English proficiency.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:22 AM #47

loll no wait i take it back i wasnt paying attention,international students was indeed the issue and your right..so i stand corrected

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
anachronism, sree