Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Tech, Movies & Video Games Discuss technology, movies and video games here.

View Poll Results: Star Wars Viewing Order
Alternating order 0 0%
Alternating order
0 0%
Story order 8 40.00%
Story order
8 40.00%
Release order 12 60.00%
Release order
12 60.00%
Flashback order 0 0%
Flashback order
0 0%
What Culture order 0 0%
What Culture order
0 0%
Machete order 0 0%
Machete order
0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-12-2015, 10:58 PM #1

Default What order should you watch the Star Wars films?

I took this from the What Culture website, if you want to see the article:

http://whatculture.com/film/5-crazy-...ave-to-try.php

Alternating order
The Order: I – IV – II – V – III – VI

Spoiler:

Immortalised in RedLetterMedia’s Prequel Reviews, one of George Lucas’ major goals with the newer trilogy was to mirror the events of the classics (“it’s like poetry, they rhyme”). Things like the hero blowing up the spaceship at the end of the first part are all pretty obvious, but the only way to really see it is to watch them side by side (or more accurately, one after each other).
Any overt focus on either Anakin or Luke is negated here and both heroes get pretty equal screen time throughout the series; a problem that rarely get’s raised is that Star Wars flippantly changes who it’s about. What’s most interesting is that even though we’re showing the prequels at the same time, the Vader twist is still done in Empire.
Compared to other orders this one is certainly one for existing fans wanting to get the most from their Star Wars. It’s not the best telling of the story, but expands on some of the subtler elements of the saga.
There’s obviously another way to alternate the films, going original then prequel, but that ends up with the incredibly downbeat Episode III, which works much better as a lead in to redemption.

Story order
The Order: I – II – III – IV – V – IV

Spoiler:

Ask Lucasfilm what order the films should be watched in and this is what they’ll say. Seeing the saga unfold chronologically is traditional and allows you to see Vader’s rise and fall in all its glory and avoids the confusion of Obi-Wan’s lies in Episode IV; this is the only order on this list that makes it clear he’s making it all up, rather than going senile. It’s serviceable and fine for people just wanting some action, but there’s some pretty obvious weaknesses here that stop it being the optimum Star Wars experience.
Some of the original trilogy’s most revered moments – the reveal of Darth Vader as Anakin Skywalker and the mysticism of the Jedi Knights – are completely ruined. Tonal differences are going to be felt worse here too. A New Hope (my personal favourite), coming straight after the bombastic Episode III, will look incredibly disappointing; a slower and less whizbang version of the universe.
Not to mention we’re starting off with the weaker entries in the saga, first time viewers would probably have lost interest when the classics roll around.This is the favoured way of watching the films, but in my opinion isn’t really a good one.

Release order
The Order: IV – V – VI – I – II – III

Spoiler:

While Story Order may be the official way to watch the films, traditionalist fans are always going to plump for this option; it’s how the films were released and how audiences originally saw that galaxy far, far away.
This way you get to experience the Original Trilogy in all its glory before heading back and seeing where it all began. As with Story Order, the stylistic differences between the two trilogies are highlighted, but at least here all the wonderment of the originals is maintained through their run time.
While this is my go to order (it’s what I use when showing people the films) and therefore accept it has some problems that make it feel incomplete. Aside from having the stronger episodes first, we end on Revenge Of The Sith, which has to double whammy of being incredibly depressing and leaving you hungry for more. Aside from watching the originals again, all the advantages of this method are nullified by an unsatisfying end.
Now there’s another trilogy fleshing out the Star Wars saga, this order has an added benefit; it’ll still work in ten years time. The prequels will become a flashback and we get a final three movies that no matter how you watch them the series will end with an unpredictable finale.

Flashback order
The Order: IV – V – I – II – III – VI

Spoiler:

Speaking of flashbacks, here is a legitimate viewing order that manages to deal with the problems of the two conventional orders. We don’t have to start or end with the lesser films and the big reveal of Luke’s parentage is kept in its original form.
You start of watching the Original Trilogy as normal, but after the depressingly shocking ending of Empire, instead of continuing forwards you go back and watch the prequels. The immediate advantage of this is obvious; we get the Vader reveal as originally intended. But unlike kids in 1980, we can immediately go back and see just how this happened.
There’s some unexpected benefits too. The cliffhanger of what happened to Han is left for a tension building six hours and the ending gets a bit more depth; the appearance of Naboo and Hayden in the Special Editions feels a bit more relevant as were there just a short while before. The only really downside is a flipside to one of the positives; we are dragged away from the characters we really like suddenly and maybe don’t see them again for a little too long.
There’s an interesting variation on this called Machete Order. From the blog Absolutely No Machete Jumping, it removes Episode I completely. While that’s good for Jar-Jar haters, there are a couple of key plot threads (particularly through the prequels) that feel confusingly absent. Cutting out an episode is, let’s not forget, cheating, so it joins this list only as a footnote.

What Culture order
The Order: IV – I – II – III – V – VI

Spoiler:

To my knowledge this viewing order hasn’t been properly put forward before, so I thought we’d name it after this very site.
A variation of the Flashback Order, this way has you watching the prequels much earlier and in fact ruins the twist I was so quick to champion as a key thing to preserve earlier, but for a seasoned viewer this is the way to try.
You kick off with A New Hope, which tells its own enclosed story and gets you involved in the world. Once you’re already hooked, instead of continuing Luke’s story we go back and expand upon Obi-Wan’s words with the prequels. As we’re invested in the world, but not the ins and outs of the story, the prequels’ quality is less of an issue here and, only one film in, the tonal differences are less of an issue. Once that’s over and we’re up to speed, we return to Luke’s story and enjoy all the dramatic irony that comes with it. Knowing the twist is less of an issue here as we’ve had the shock of it naturally through the narrative.
There’s no real downsides here, beyond it not being too conventional. You start and end where the Original Trilogy did and get the prequels out of the way quickly. If you try only one order from this list, I’d suggest this one.

Machete order
The Order: IV – V – II – III –VI

Spoiler:

They didn't list this one but it's one of the most popular. It's basically the same as the Flashback order but without Episode 1

BBCAN: Erica | Will | Veronica | Johnny | Alejandra | Ryan | Paras

Last edited by Jamie89; 12-12-2015 at 11:00 PM.
Jamie89 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 11:01 PM #2
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis G

Story order, bollocks to the prequel haters

Im intrigued by the flashback order though
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 11:02 PM #3
REVIVAL

REVIVAL

Release order. Is it Wednesday night yet???
Old 12-12-2015, 11:04 PM #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
Story order, bollocks to the prequel haters

Im intrigued by the flashback order though
I'd never heard of it either but I think it sounds really good. I'm rewatching them all over tomorrow and next week and I think I'm gonna do it the flashback way.

Old 12-12-2015, 11:06 PM #5
Namaste

Namaste

I've still to properly get into Star Wars and I've been thinking about watching them sometime soon so this is a good topic to keep my eyes on.

I assumed I'd watch them in the order of release but doing it in chronological story order sounds like a cool idea actually.
Lostie! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 11:16 PM #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Release order. Is it Wednesday night yet???
Nearly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostie! View Post
I've still to properly get into Star Wars and I've been thinking about watching them sometime soon so this is a good topic to keep my eyes on.

I assumed I'd watch them in the order of release but doing it in chronological story order sounds like a cool idea actually.
I watched them in chronological order because I saw the prequels when I was a kid before watching the original films and I'm glad I did. The only drawback is the noticeable difference in film quality, with the originals being so much older, if you go straight from episode 3 to episode 4 it's a bit jarring, but you get used to it. I think the flashback order sounds the most interesting, but I don't know if it would be weird for someone who's never seen them before.

Old 12-12-2015, 11:22 PM #7
Locke.

Favourites (more):
CBB20: Paul Danan

Locke.

Favourites (more):

If you're familiar with the franchise, Story order. If you are watching for the first time then start with the original trilogy... I know I probably wouldn't make it past a back to back pairing of Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones if I didn't already know how good the other 4 are.
Locke. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 12:26 AM #8
Mode: Broken

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Sheldon
BBCanada 7: Anthony

Mode: Broken

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Sheldon
BBCanada 7: Anthony

Story order, like it was meant to.

Locke is right though, Episodes 1 and 2 are absolute garbage and 3-6 are fine movies.

Last edited by Calderyon; 13-12-2015 at 12:56 AM.
Calderyon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 12:33 AM #9

Favourites:
BBUSA22: Janelle

Favourites:
BBUSA22: Janelle

4-6, 1-3, 7 (when it's released)
Firewire is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 12:33 AM #10

Favourites:

Favourites:

Release order. I think it's more exciting seeing the outcome and then learning the backstory to it.
Jordan. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 12:46 AM #11
Hakuna Matata

Favourites (more):
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle
Love Island 5: Maura

Hakuna Matata

Favourites (more):
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle
Love Island 5: Maura

Story order to get the first one over with
Ross. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 01:26 AM #12

This is a really interesting blog on why it should be watched in the machete order. It's pretty convincing, I might do it this way:

http://www.nomachetejuggling.com/201...viewing-order/

Old 13-12-2015, 06:28 AM #13

The First Order. jks.

Release order (if watching it first) because the original episode 4 is pretty much a standalone film, and they changed different story things in the later films.

If you've seen it before watch it in any order you like.

Last edited by James; 13-12-2015 at 06:29 AM.
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 09:06 AM #14
-

-

It's always going to be difficult really. The original trilogy are better films in most ways, but there are obvious improvements in the prequels too let's be honest. The "space" special effects of the originals actually hold up OK considering their age, however... The Jedi effects. Oh the Jedi effects. Hollywood moved on a lot between the two eras it seems and the Jedi fight scenes in the original, well, they just don't make the cut. I said on another thread, Episode 1 is both my most and least favourite, because as a film it's not good but the Darth Maul fight scenes are the best in the series. Eps 2 and 3 have some brilliantly choreographed scenes, too. Climactic battle between Anakin and Obi Wan is a little CGI heavy but that's the only real negative.

The original trilogy Jedi... Urr. Vader is supposed to be the most powerful sith, Obi Wan is old but still supposed to be an immensely experienced Jedi (who went toe to toe with young Vader and won), but their scenes are like two old men threatening each other with glowing walking sticks. Luke, the only force user capable of taking on Vader, but it's like a schoolboy waving a stick in comparison to the abilities seen in the prequel.

Basically the prequels could deliver on the vision of how fast, agile and powerful a force-user was always supposed to be... In ways that the original trilogy couldn't capture. That's the only reason anything other than release order stings. It's like they all suddenly forgot how to Jedi.

Taking that out of the equation, flashback order makes most sense. Episodes I to III are clearly narratively set up with the viewer knowing that Anakin becomes Vader. You're supposed to be watching his story with the knowledge of its conclusion, looking for "clues" about why he turns Sith, analysing his character and motivations. Ep III doesn't work well as the reveal. The "twist" starts to become obvious through his actions - but this is of course because the "twist" is SUPPOSED to already be known.

Final thought is, you can't skip Ep 1! The final Maul fight is both brilliant viewing and also a defining Obi Wan moment. Jar Jar is annoying, Baby Vader is IMO even worse, but you just have to grin and bear it. The prequel trilogy is as much Obi Wan's story as Anakin's, and Obi Wan doesn't make as much sense without Liam NeeGon (this is his actual Jedi name).

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 13-12-2015 at 09:09 AM.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 10:58 AM #15
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa's Sakho View Post
If you're familiar with the franchise, Story order. If you are watching for the first time then start with the original trilogy... I know I probably wouldn't make it past a back to back pairing of Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones if I didn't already know how good the other 4 are.
I did it this way but thankfully Revenge Of The Sith won me over into checking out the original trilogy.

KRO!
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 11:20 AM #16

I've never seen the prequel trilogy but I've watched the originals, so the flashback order intrigues me. Are the prequels really as bad as they're made out to be by some people?
AProducer'sWetDream is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 12:04 PM #17
Locke.

Favourites (more):

Locke.

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by AProducer'sWetDream View Post
I've never seen the prequel trilogy but I've watched the originals, so the flashback order intrigues me. Are the prequels really as bad as they're made out to be by some people?
The third film is pretty good. The other 2 have their good points like Toy Soldier pointed out (the action sequences, Darth Maul, Liam Neeson, etc), but they're quite bad on the whole. Worth watching though if you liked the original trilogy.
Locke. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 04:42 PM #18
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AProducer'sWetDream View Post
They're enjoyable enough popcorn flicks really, perfectly watchable, the action is decent but the characters... Well... A lot of them are just straight up annoying. A major issue for me is that Anakin in the first two is just a brat. A bratty kid in the first one and a bratty teenager in the second one. He's somewhat better in the third one when he's actually going dark-side. The third film in general is much higher quality. My only serious gripes with it are, as a I said in the other post, an over-reliance on CGI more than true stunts in the final Obi Wan / Anakin showdown, and also, inexplicably, just as Anakin gets less annoying... Queen Amidala out of nowhere becomes unbearably whiney. What's that all about? She'd have turned me Sith too. That's what actually happened I think. She moaned at him so much that he was like "**** this I can't take it any more! I'm off to murder everyone."
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 01:15 AM #19

Favourites (more):
Survivor 37: Jessica
BBUSA20: Haleigh

Favourites (more):
Survivor 37: Jessica

Here's the order you should watch it in. 4,5,6,7 and that's it.
AarynGriesfan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:34 AM #20

I'm going to watch them all again soon so it got me thinking about this again (and also where Rogue One and TFA could fit in the different orders )

I'm thinking of starting with Rogue One, then the flashback order, and ending with TFA.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:36 PM #21
baddie

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Michele
CBB22: Natalie Nunn

baddie

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Michele
CBB22: Natalie Nunn

Cut out the prequels then enjoy whats left.

armand.kay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 07:29 AM #22
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

I honestly love the prequels, but the OT are all better movies (apart from Jedi, which is on PT league)

But yah I'd say release order - the OT is the story, PT is what happened before, ST is "what happened" after.

Last edited by Oliver_W; 13-10-2017 at 07:29 AM.
Oliver_W is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 04:07 PM #23
His blood is bad.

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Kathryn
BBUSA20: Brett

His blood is bad.

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Kathryn
BBUSA20: Brett

Release order for sure
Old 13-10-2017, 05:20 PM #24
swapped for scrabble

Favourites (more):
BB19: Brooke
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

swapped for scrabble

Favourites (more):
BB19: Brooke
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

I have never watched SW and I'm not fully into sci-fi, so I'm not sure if I'm going to like it. I guess one day I'll give it a go and probably watch it in release order, because I'm quite clueless (/spoilerless) about the rest of the options.

Spoiler:

Shifra, Tzabar, Ranin. BBIL 2008.
y.winter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 05:29 PM #25

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Niall

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Niall

release order 100% that's the order ive seen it in
ethanjames is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote