Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:02 AM #1

Default 'We don't care if she's 98... she's not dead, so get her cash'

[Government inquiry: Olive Cooke, 92,
fell to her death after being bombarded
by charities begging for cash]

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3cLyXjrB7
Video On Link

[Cynical call centre used by Britain's biggest charities including
Oxfam, Cancer Research UK and the RSPCA
Call centre refused to remove phone numbers of people who complained
Recruits trained how to prey on 98-year-old pensioner and cancer sufferers
Secret filming by MoS reveals tactics used to squeeze cash from donors
Charities Minister demands inquiry after callous methods were exposed]

See JoshBB
this is a Good Paper
Exposing Corruption at Charities

I want Chuggers BANNED

Last edited by arista; 07-06-2015 at 06:09 AM.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:16 AM #2
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

..in general I don't really get involved very much with the bigger charities because I do think there is corruption on different levels and a huge amount of the funds don't get through to where it was intended to be...I don't also believe so much in giving cash either and think that there are other direct ways to do things which aren't open to corruption etc...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:27 AM #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
..in general I don't really get involved very much with the bigger charities because I do think there is corruption on different levels and a huge amount of the funds don't get through to where it was intended to be...I don't also believe so much in giving cash either and think that there are other direct ways to do things which aren't open to corruption etc...

I do not agree with you
Old 07-06-2015, 06:33 AM #4
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
I do not agree with you
..ok, Arista...
Old 07-06-2015, 07:01 AM #5
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Quote:
Olive Cooke, 92, fell to her death after being bombarded by charities begging for cash
sorry but how is her falling in anyway linked to the charities??

The scars on my mind are on replay
Smithy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:02 AM #6
-

-

Ammi just got schooled...

Anyway, on topic, I remember being taught in schools that one of the reasons it's "really bad" to make prank phone calls to random numbers is because you might phone some old person who might jump up to answer the phone and fall and break their hip... Something like that. I'm pretty sure this was just a sensationalist deterrent but it's always struck me that these days it wouldn't matter if kids were peak calling everyone - because landlines ring 20 times a day anyway with charities, salesmen and "you might be owed PPI" calls. I keep mine unplugged most of the time unless I actually need to use it because it just rings constantly...

Oh I also went for an interview at a call centre once and during the course of the interview found out that the job basically involved cold calling elderly people to try to get them to sign up for a service to prepare their last will and testament! Wtf! "Hello, Mrs Smith? Our database shows that you are old and will most likely die soon, do you have a will sorted?". Wtf is that?? Thankfully I didn't get that particular job. I think my "wut???" face in the interview probably put them off.

However... All of these things pale in comparison to my pet peeve : charity salespeople that stop you in the street. No no no no no no just go away and leave me alone!
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:40 AM #7
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Ammi just got schooled... Anyway, on topic, I remember being taught in schools that one of the reasons it's "really bad" to make prank phone calls to random numbers is because you might phone some old person who might jump up to answer the phone and fall and break their hip... Something like that. I'm pretty sure this was just a sensationalist deterrent but it's always struck me that these days it wouldn't matter if kids were peak calling everyone - because landlines ring 20 times a day anyway with charities, salesmen and "you might be owed PPI" calls. I keep mine unplugged most of the time unless I actually need to use it because it just rings constantly...

Oh I also went for an interview at a call centre once and during the course of the interview found out that the job basically involved cold calling elderly people to try to get them to sign up for a service to prepare their last will and testament! Wtf! "Hello, Mrs Smith? Our database shows that you are old and will most likely die soon, do you have a will sorted?". Wtf is that?? Thankfully I didn't get that particular job. I think my "wut???" face in the interview probably put them off.

However... All of these things pale in comparison to my pet peeve : charity salespeople that stop you in the street. No no no no no no just go away and leave me alone!

....schooled and scalped, ouch...I know someone, it was quite a few years ago, who was interviewed..(and offered..) an insurance sales job where basically he was told that the 'pitch' was to put fears' into people and of course, targeting elderly people was part of it as well...and they were a large 'reputable' company....fortunately he got offered another job so never had to do it but many people have to because otherwise they would be unemployed....people who really need a job are 'victims' as well I think in many cases...I have to say that one of my pet hates is targeting older people because quite often they're lonely as well and will commit to things because time is spent talking to them in the persuading...

Last edited by Ammi; 07-06-2015 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:49 AM #8

"targeting elderly people was part of it as well."

Yes they are Scum
Old 07-06-2015, 07:55 AM #9
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

..yeah but in many cases I think people who desperately need a job so in the media, 'scum' if they do and 'scum' if they don't so a difficult one...
Old 07-06-2015, 08:01 AM #10

No Ammi

Tricking a 90 year old
to take their money

Makes them REAL SCUM
Old 07-06-2015, 08:05 AM #11
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

..I don't disagree as such but I think that there is sometimes and maybe quite often, more than one 'victim' and more than one person who is exploited with these things....
Old 07-06-2015, 09:39 AM #12

Quite often elderly people give as good as they get. A few months ago we started getting scam calls from India I believe saying that they were a representitive of Microsoft and needed to check details on our computer. I knew it was a scam straight away and gave them a few choice words (most bleepable) and hung up. But one old gal in our town gave them the runaround. She pretended to go along with it, told them they would have to wait a few minutes as her computer was old and took time to get started. Then she went off and had a cuppa and read a book for a couple of hours before finally hanging up.
The only thing they got from her was a hefty phone bill.
jennyjuniper is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:05 AM #13
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

I think in the main that is unusual Jenny, the lady targeted in the article and thousands of others certainly are not such canny old birds.
The fact it was found she was not a victim of harassment suggests to me this is a government approved scam. Well, if the charities are getting money from 'soft targets' they won't need as much governmental support will they?
Old 07-06-2015, 10:57 AM #14

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Bloody parasites.
All cold calling should be banned.
It is getting to the point now with so many scammers etc ringing here I have even told hubby's boss to go and do one. Not my fault that I didn't recognise his voice and that the background noise sounded similar to a call centre.
smudgie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:05 AM #15
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjuniper View Post
Quite often elderly people give as good as they get. A few months ago we started getting scam calls from India I believe saying that they were a representitive of Microsoft and needed to check details on our computer. I knew it was a scam straight away and gave them a few choice words (most bleepable) and hung up. But one old gal in our town gave them the runaround. She pretended to go along with it, told them they would have to wait a few minutes as her computer was old and took time to get started. Then she went off and had a cuppa and read a book for a couple of hours before finally hanging up.
The only thing they got from her was a hefty phone bill.
Yes that fine, but there are alot of people young and not so young who are susceptible to the hard sell.

I have a few DDs set up for charities, in the past I used to donate to the bigger charities, they obviously sell details as on as I started getting cold called by other "bigger charities" once I joined, within two months of signing up I had a phone call asking me to donate a larger amount, eh if I was able or willing to donate a larger amount I would have done it at sign up two months previously, the guy at the other end of the phone was very persuasive and in the end I had to hang up to get rid of him, some people would be unable to do that as they would find it rude and might be talked into donating larger amounts, I donate to local charities now, as I don't agree with the practices of some of the bigger charities and their hard selling tactics, and yes some people will be able to handle the calls with ease but for others particularly more vulnerable people it might not be so easy.

Last edited by Cherie; 07-06-2015 at 11:05 AM.
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:05 AM #16
His blood is bad.

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Kathryn
BBUSA20: Brett

His blood is bad.

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Kathryn
BBUSA20: Brett

Cold calling is the work of the devil
Old 07-06-2015, 11:18 AM #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsay View Post
Cold calling is the work of the devil

Yes Ammi is out of touch
Old 07-06-2015, 12:21 PM #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Yes that fine, but there are alot of people young and not so young who are susceptible to the hard sell.

I have a few DDs set up for charities, in the past I used to donate to the bigger charities, they obviously sell details as on as I started getting cold called by other "bigger charities" once I joined, within two months of signing up I had a phone call asking me to donate a larger amount, eh if I was able or willing to donate a larger amount I would have done it at sign up two months previously, the guy at the other end of the phone was very persuasive and in the end I had to hang up to get rid of him, some people would be unable to do that as they would find it rude and might be talked into donating larger amounts, I donate to local charities now, as I don't agree with the practices of some of the bigger charities and their hard selling tactics, and yes some people will be able to handle the calls with ease but for others particularly more vulnerable people it might not be so easy.
It might be a good idea for councils and age concern to advise the elderly to get answer phones. That way they don't have to hurry to answer and can answer only if they want to.
jennyjuniper is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:21 PM #19
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
Yes Ammi is out of touch
.....ok then Arista have it your way, I'll pop all cold callers on the dehumanised list and not give a thought to whether any of them are doing it because it's the only job that they could possible get and are being exploited too...
Old 07-06-2015, 12:34 PM #20
-

-

Quote:
.....ok then Arista have it your way, I'll pop all cold callers on the dehumanised list and not give a thought to whether any of them are doing it because it's the only job that they could possible get and are being exploited too...
I definitely agree with you Ammi, most of the people actually making the calls are 16 - 25 year olds on minimum wage and what are they supposed to do? The Jobcentre hammers them with jumping through hoops, probably sent them to the interview in the first place, if they're offered but refuse to take the job their job seekers will be sanctioned. If you get sent to an interview and the interviewer takes you on, what option do you have but to do the job, even if it's morally questionable? It's all very well saying people should take a moral stand but it's damned if you do, damned if you don't. Take the job and you're an unscrupulous abuser of the elderly. Don't take it and you have no income at all because they cut your JSA. Deliberately underperform in the interview and stay on JSA and you're "scrounging benefits scum".

It's the people who came up with the idea in the first place and run the company, and the people encouraging the use of bullying tactics, who are scum... Not the poor buggers chained to a phone all day.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 07-06-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:39 PM #21
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

I don't think anyone is seriously blaming the telephone operators
Old 07-06-2015, 12:41 PM #22
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
I definitely agree with you Ammi, most of the people actually making the calls are 16 - 25 year olds on minimum wage and what are they supposed to do? The Jobcentre hammers them with jumping through hoops, probably sent them to the interview in the first place, if they're offered but refuse to take the job their job seekers will be sanctioned. If you get sent to an interview and the interviewer takes you on, what option do you have but to do the job, even if it's morally questionable? It's all very well saying people should take a moral stand but it's damned if you do, damned if you don't. Take the job and you're an unscrupulous abuser of the elderly. Don't take it and you have no income at all because they cut your JSA. Deliberately underperform in the interview and stay on JSA and you're "scrounging benefits scum".

It's the people who came up with the idea in the first place and run the company, and the people encouraging the use of bullying tactics, who are scum... Not the poor buggers chained to a phone all day.
..yeah, it's how they run their companies and the methods used and even it seems how some charities might be run and just another reason really why I prefer not to make cash donations to some of the larger charities/there are other ways...also obviously the call centres based in India as well, where it's basically phone 'sweatshop' work/exploitation of people who desperately need money to live and provide for their families...
Old 07-06-2015, 12:41 PM #23
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
I don't think anyone is seriously blaming the telephone operators
Arista is, he thinks they're "REAL SCUM".
Old 07-06-2015, 12:43 PM #24
0_o

0_o

I tell charity people who call or visit to piss off if they wont take no for an answer. I think its a pisstake that its even allowed. If people want to give to charity, they will give to charity, they dont need to be pressured, harassed and guilt tripped into doing so. We can't walk up our high street now without being pretty much chased by at least 2 charity workers (depending which day, Saturdays its usually 4) and a 'vanquis' credit card person. Its ridiculous.

This doesnt surprise me about calls centre 'training'...having worked in one myself when I was 16. We didn't have a 'system' to take people off as we were just handed pages from various phonebooks each shift...
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:49 PM #25
-

-

Quote:
..yeah, it's how they run their companies and the methods used and even it seems how some charities might be run and just another reason really why I prefer not to make cash donations to some of the larger charities/there are other ways...also obviously the call centres based in India as well, where it's basically phone 'sweatshop' work/exploitation of people who desperately need money to live and provide for their families...
Some of the big charities are awful for guilt tripping. I've had someone shout after me (as I avoid High Street charity salesmen like they're angry bears); "Oh so you don't care about kids with cancer then, that's nice!".

Big companies for all sorts of things are just as bad really, though. Angry official-seeming letters, completely false legal threats, debt collection threats, often for bills that have actually been paid, and all you get when you call is "Oh sorry, administrative error". I just get pissed off with these things now but a few years ago, when a demand for £100 "immediately" was an insurmountable ask, they used to make me pretty anxious. Which is crap even if you DO owe money. When you actually don't and it's "just an error" it's just not on.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
98, care, cash, dead