Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

View Poll Results: Do black (etc.) people have the right to have passively-antagonistic views on this?
Not-really - she did rub-hands with Mandela and in any case is a legend to be revered 2 25.00%
Not-really - she did rub-hands with Mandela and in any case is a legend to be revered
2 25.00%
She did enable lots-of colonial disruption - I understand the mixed feelings 2 25.00%
She did enable lots-of colonial disruption - I understand the mixed feelings
2 25.00%
^ but in appropriate moderation (someone’s death is nothing to celebrate) 2 25.00%
^ but in appropriate moderation (someone’s death is nothing to celebrate)
2 25.00%
Not sure/other 2 25.00%
Not sure/other
2 25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-09-2022, 02:58 PM #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper View Post
I'm not defending it because the last line is not something to make public if that's what she feels. She is, however, clearly talking about the institution, which is valid. We're not really taught the true history of this country and it's empire. What we did to India and Africa in particular will never be fully understood by most; even though most think they do understand it. To this day, everyone still makes jokes about the Irish and potatoes (not calling anyone out, I do it myself), which shows how cleansed and unserious our history has become. We lost around 1-1.3 million troops in both world wars, but killed over a million Irish people in 6 years because why not?

That doesn't mean that we should all be saying hail Marys every night for our sins to be forgiven; because they were the sins of our fathers, not us, but what happened then was barbarism and cruelty, and the crown still represents that in many parts of the world. As a nation, we still hold a grudge against Germany, and now imagine what they did in Europe for 5-10 years they did to only us, and not for a decade, but for a couple of hundred years. Imagine the resentment and anger that would exist within our national psyche. That's how people have a right to feel about us.
Can’t really disagree. I think it all boils down to the fact that there are some things to make public (as far as personal prerogative goes) and some things to keep to oneself. The last sentence falls under the latter.

Don’t let your regret be stronger than your gratitude, don’t go hanging on to negativity and don’t go underselling yourself. That is all.
Redway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
feel, ofcolour, passing’, queen’s, ‘people