Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

View Poll Results: ???????
Yes 16 40.00%
Yes
16 40.00%
No 24 60.00%
No
24 60.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21-05-2018, 07:11 AM #126
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
Therefore a child with a cracking personality could attract the pans person..if its only personality that they become attracted to..man woman horse or child...just as long as they have the type of personality that attracts them.
Or maybe the "pan" person would just want basic friendship with the child, especially if they had similar interests in regards to videogames or whatever. Again, not something which needs a new label.

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 07:12 AM #127
-

-

I just think it's a huge oversimplification of heterosexual sexuality to say that it's about "liking specific genitals".

I can aesthetically appreciate the female form. I can aesthetically appreciate the male form. I (thus far I suppose??) have never been interested in a romantic or sexual relationship with a male. And my attraction to females isn't 100% reliant on stereotypical "attractive norms". Is anyone's? If someone is attracted to one brunette with a certain body type, does that mean they will DEFINITELY be attracted to a different brunette with that body type, if she has a different personality and carries herself differently?

For example, there's a reason that that old phrase "Oh you'll like him / her, they're JUST your type!" rarely works. The person who is supposed to like this other person who is their "type" nine times out of ten will be like "Meh... Nah."... Because attraction is subtle and nuanced.

Also the reason that you can be highly attracted to, say, a TV or movie character... But be left completely cold when you see the actor in an interview, if the actor is nothing like the role they're playing.

This is normal sexuality. I get the feeling that those arguing for "pansexuality" don't get that attraction to personality is a HUGE (the biggest) component in all sexualities?
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 07:51 AM #128
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

....hmmmm I just think that, that’s expanding it out a little too far TS...for the moment anyway because there is always going to be many factors which are individual to people in terms of ‘attraction’ that extend beyond ‘physical’...

...i’m a little bit Dezzy and a little bit Withano on this...(..Dezzano....?...)...I do feel that before ‘similarities’ are looked at in terms of umbrellas etc...differences first have to be recognised and acknowledged....(...my understanding has always been ...and thank you Jack for helping with that in some chats many tides ago that we had, you and I.....)...that for instance when we look at a visual, physical instinct attraction for instance...like say, looking at a pic of a celebrity and thinking...yeah that person is ‘hot’/attractive etc...it’s something that many can relate to, whatever their sexuality...a physical thing about someone that would instinctively attract the eye attention as it were..?....but not so for a pansexual person as ‘physical’ is not a factor at all in that initial thing...so basically there could never be an ‘initial thing’ I guess...it would be personality/character etc...(...and attributes of character would differ in each individual pansexual also, I would say...)...but the fundamental difference to be acknowledged is that a person’s character to whatever degree would have to be displayed/to be seen first...

...I do feel that ‘labelling’ can be so counter productive and many labels can create so much confusion as to ‘alienate and switch off’ as well for so many people...(..but as we seem to very much be in a labelling society’..)....it’s inevitable that people don’t want to be labelled incorrectly...and that for me is where it’s important to acknowledge differences in sexualities...before we can reach similarities that may bring it all to a less confusing place in terms of umbrellas branching out etc....

Last edited by Ammi; 21-05-2018 at 08:02 AM.
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 07:52 AM #129
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...in my head this all makes sense...but it is quite a complex thing...but of complete importance to so many people that their sexuality is understood.../...for its differences as well as its similarities....
Old 21-05-2018, 07:55 AM #130

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):

Do pansexuals have sex?

Cause the last time i checked you cant shag a personality!
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 07:57 AM #131
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

..yeah I do think pansexuality is a thing, did I say that...it may be a thing that can ...(...at some point...)...be snuggled under the umbrella of another thing...but surely the thing of its differences have to be understood and acknowledged first...that’s the thing...the thing I’m thinking atm...

....oh what a thing...etc...
Old 21-05-2018, 07:59 AM #132
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
Do pansexuals have sex?

Cause the last time i checked you cant shag a personality!
...yeah when their sexuality has become attracted to that other person’s whole being...which obviously would include their personality as well.....
Old 21-05-2018, 08:14 AM #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I just think it's a huge oversimplification of heterosexual sexuality to say that it's about "liking specific genitals".

I can aesthetically appreciate the female form. I can aesthetically appreciate the male form. I (thus far I suppose??) have never been interested in a romantic or sexual relationship with a male. And my attraction to females isn't 100% reliant on stereotypical "attractive norms". Is anyone's? If someone is attracted to one brunette with a certain body type, does that mean they will DEFINITELY be attracted to a different brunette with that body type, if she has a different personality and carries herself differently?

For example, there's a reason that that old phrase "Oh you'll like him / her, they're JUST your type!" rarely works. The person who is supposed to like this other person who is their "type" nine times out of ten will be like "Meh... Nah."... Because attraction is subtle and nuanced.

Also the reason that you can be highly attracted to, say, a TV or movie character... But be left completely cold when you see the actor in an interview, if the actor is nothing like the role they're playing.

This is normal sexuality. I get the feeling that those arguing for "pansexuality" don't get that attraction to personality is a HUGE (the biggest) component in all sexualities?
A great post T.S. I agree entirely.

kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 08:29 AM #134
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

I'm keeping an open mind on the whole thing
doesn't bother me how people want to id themselves
Twosugars is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 08:30 AM #135
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
....hmmmm I just think that, that’s expanding it out a little too far TS...for the moment anyway because there is always going to be many factors which are individual to people in terms of ‘attraction’ that extend beyond ‘physical’...

...i’m a little bit Dezzy and a little bit Withano on this...(..Dezzano....?...)...I do feel that before ‘similarities’ are looked at in terms of umbrellas etc...differences first have to be recognised and acknowledged....(...my understanding has always been ...and thank you Jack for helping with that in some chats many tides ago that we had, you and I.....)...that for instance when we look at a visual, physical instinct attraction for instance...like say, looking at a pic of a celebrity and thinking...yeah that person is ‘hot’/attractive etc...it’s something that many can relate to, whatever their sexuality...a physical thing about someone that would instinctively attract the eye attention as it were..?....but not so for a pansexual person as ‘physical’ is not a factor at all in that initial thing...so basically there could never be an ‘initial thing’ I guess...it would be personality/character etc...(...and attributes of character would differ in each individual pansexual also, I would say...)...but the fundamental difference to be acknowledged is that a person’s character to whatever degree would have to be displayed/to be seen first...

...I do feel that ‘labelling’ can be so counter productive and many labels can create so much confusion as to ‘alienate and switch off’ as well for so many people...(..but as we seem to very much be in a labelling society’..)....it’s inevitable that people don’t want to be labelled incorrectly...and that for me is where it’s important to acknowledge differences in sexualities...before we can reach similarities that may bring it all to a less confusing place in terms of umbrellas branching out etc....
I agree with the labelling, and that's sort of what I'm trying to say, I guess. Sexuality is such a nuanced and complicated psychological thing for EVERY individual that it just doesn't really lend itself to categorisation as solidly as many people seem to think (or seem to wish?) it does. For example, speaking of physical attraction being a factor, this isn't a "yes/no" question... it matters entirely to some (very shallow) people, a lot to some people, somewhat to others, not much to others, hardly at all to some... not at all to some. It's an entire sliding scale, surely... at what point on that scale does a bisexual individual "suddenly" become pansexual?

Where has the idea that heterosexuality is "simple" come from, I suppose is my question? It isn't, it's infinitely complex, and entirely individual... literally no two people of any sexual persuasion have "identical" sexualities, and therefore, the labelling is of absolutely no utility in terms of personal identity. One's sexuality is what it is, and doesn't need to be labelled. So... with that being the case... the only point in labelling at all is as an indicator to potential partners. For that purpose, straight/gay/bi is all that's really needed. The idea that we have to add "pan" to indicate "open to trans" is sort of offensive, surely? All that really needs to be said on that is that it's a personal preference / philosophical issue... it doesn't need its own term... that's like saying we need terms for people who are/aren't open to relationships with fat people, or open to relationships with bald men.
Old 21-05-2018, 08:34 AM #136
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twosugars View Post
I'm keeping an open mind on the whole thing
doesn't bother me how people want to id themselves
It doesn't bother me HOW people ID themselves but I do think the underlying reasons for WHY people are so desperate to categorise, label and group above and beyond a simple acceptance of individual differences are important. It's (arguably, and in my belief) far healthier to be able to say "I am what I am, get to know me as an individual", than "I am what I am... AND WHAT I AM IS A/B/C/D/E/F/G/H... oh and I/J/K and thinking about K".

Humans are predisposed to grouping and categorising for cognitive and linguistic purposes, that much is true. But when it comes to interpersonal relationships (be that with family, friends, potential partners or total strangers) I don't think it's ever particularly helpful or accurate.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 21-05-2018 at 08:34 AM.
Old 21-05-2018, 08:34 AM #137
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

no, i don't even know what it is

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.

No.1 Fan of Queen Anastasia ''Nastia'' Stan!!!!!!
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 08:41 AM #138
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
The idea that we have to add "pan" to indicate "open to trans" is sort of offensive, surely? All that really needs to be said on that is that it's a personal preference / philosophical issue... it doesn't need its own term... that's like saying we need terms for people who are/aren't open to relationships with fat people, or open to relationships with bald men.
that's sort of thing already exists, e.g in gay community you have chubby chasers, bear lovers etc
must say I haven't thought of that much but my gut instinct is not to see bi as transphobic anymore than homo is heterophobic
I may be wrong, but I see bi as liking people with well-defined genders i.e they may be happy with a fully trasitioned trans but not with a trans half-way through a transition, whereas a pansexual doesn't give a hoot about such details
so bi: male + female, pan: male, intersex, female
correct me if I'm simplifying
Old 21-05-2018, 08:43 AM #139

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
...yeah when their sexuality has become attracted to that other person’s whole being...which obviously would include their personality as well.....
So one night stands are rare in the pans world?
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 08:45 AM #140
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
It doesn't bother me HOW people ID themselves but I do think the underlying reasons for WHY people are so desperate to categorise, label and group above and beyond a simple acceptance of individual differences are important. It's (arguably, and in my belief) far healthier to be able to say "I am what I am, get to know me as an individual", than "I am what I am... AND WHAT I AM IS A/B/C/D/E/F/G/H... oh and I/J/K and thinking about K".

Humans are predisposed to grouping and categorising for cognitive and linguistic purposes, that much is true. But when it comes to interpersonal relationships (be that with family, friends, potential partners or total strangers) I don't think it's ever particularly helpful or accurate.
of course, but I suppose it's so convenient, a shortcut: I'm A/B/C/D/E/F/G/H... rather than: well, it's complicated, let's sit down and I will tell you how it is...
Old 21-05-2018, 08:47 AM #141
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
I agree with the labelling, and that's sort of what I'm trying to say, I guess. Sexuality is such a nuanced and complicated psychological thing for EVERY individual that it just doesn't really lend itself to categorisation as solidly as many people seem to think (or seem to wish?) it does. For example, speaking of physical attraction being a factor, this isn't a "yes/no" question... it matters entirely to some (very shallow) people, a lot to some people, somewhat to others, not much to others, hardly at all to some... not at all to some. It's an entire sliding scale, surely... at what point on that scale does a bisexual individual "suddenly" become pansexual?

Where has the idea that heterosexuality is "simple" come from, I suppose is my question? It isn't, it's infinitely complex, and entirely individual... literally no two people of any sexual persuasion have "identical" sexualities, and therefore, the labelling is of absolutely no utility in terms of personal identity. One's sexuality is what it is, and doesn't need to be labelled. So... with that being the case... the only point in labelling at all is as an indicator to potential partners. For that purpose, straight/gay/bi is all that's really needed. The idea that we have to add "pan" to indicate "open to trans" is sort of offensive, surely? All that really needs to be said on that is that it's a personal preference / philosophical issue... it doesn't need its own term... that's like saying we need terms for people who are/aren't open to relationships with fat people, or open to relationships with bald men.
...yeah I completely understand everything you’re saying TS...(..you and I are never really far away on the thoughts and mindset page with many things, I feel..)...I think for me actually with some of my thoughts, there are similarities when you and I were discussing feminism...(..ish....)...in that ‘equality of recognition and understanding etc’ has to be reached first...to question if pansexual is a thing for instance...(..when it most definately is a thing for those who identify as pansexual..)...really doesn’t give it an equal status, does it...I mean even just the questioning of it...so that recognition has to be reached first...as with other and all sexualities who (..atm..)...don’t feel they are being defined correctly or accurately by specific umbrellas, as it were...so it’s looking at and acknowledging the differences first ...which would then for me, lead to looking at and acknowledging the similarities...and then leading again onto being able to start to ‘simplify’ what could be pulled under certain umbrellas for a better understanding and progression...

...and I do agree with ‘labels’ also, which I think I said...but I think that’s probably also a little bit of a ‘necessary phase in time’...because there is so much scope for openness about sexuality now, more so than any other time...so I think in time as well and with that understanding and acknowledgement of all of our differences, as it were...there will be less labelling as time goes by...as our ‘human understanding’ grows....
Old 21-05-2018, 08:57 AM #142
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I may be wrong, but I see bi as liking people with well-defined genders i.e they may be happy with a fully trasitioned trans but not with a trans half-way through a transition, whereas a pansexual doesn't give a hoot about such details
Nah, I don't think willingness to date traps really comes into it either. The Youtube Blaire White has said that all of her boyfriends had only been with biological women before her, and that they were able to get over the fact she has a dick. They don't need a special label, they're just straight guys who have an unusual girlfriend.

Old 21-05-2018, 09:17 AM #143
-

-

Quote:
that's sort of thing already exists, e.g in gay community you have chubby chasers, bear lovers etc
must say I haven't thought of that much but my gut instinct is not to see bi as transphobic anymore than homo is heterophobic
so bi: male + female, pan: male, intersex, female
correct me if I'm simplifying
Sure but "chubby chasers" don't label themselves crassusexual, or "bear lovers" ... Ursasexual I guess? That's sort of the point. A personal preference does not necessarily have to have "its own sexuality"...
Old 21-05-2018, 09:21 AM #144
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
Nah, I don't think willingness to date traps really comes into it either. The Youtube Blaire White has said that all of her boyfriends had only been with biological women before her, and that they were able to get over the fact she has a dick. They don't need a special label, they're just straight guys who have an unusual girlfriend.
I'd disagree. Mind you the fact that there are so many varieties makes the whole issue very complex.
In my book, pans would be happy with any shape or form of intersex. Your guy may be ok with a regular-looking chick with a dick, but what about an androgynous person who doesn't look like a conventional male or female?
Also in your example, is he "overlooking" her dick or is he celebrating it? I.e does he make her tuck it or does he suck it? It may seem like an unnecessarily graphic detail at first, but to the guy it may mean a lot in terms of how he sees her. He may be dating her becuse the chick/dick combination is just perfect for him or he may be dating her despite the dick (attracted to the rest of her, dick seen as a unfortunate blemish on his perfect woman).
Old 21-05-2018, 09:24 AM #145
-

-

I feel like the trans / intersex aspect is separate to base sexuality, is the thing. For example, some straight men are open to relationships with male to female transsexuals, others are not. The ones who are are no less straight?
Old 21-05-2018, 09:25 AM #146
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
Sure but "chubby chasers" don't label themselves crassusexual, or "bear lovers" ... Ursasexual I guess? That's sort of the point. A personal preference does not necessarily have to have "its own sexuality"...
ignore that first bit, I got it wrong; I'm sort of thinking about it as I write, don't have preset opinions, just trying to find out how I feel about it all
I'd be interested in your reply to the rest of my post
Old 21-05-2018, 09:28 AM #147
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Also in your example, is he "overlooking" her dick or is he celebrating it? I.e does he make her tuck it or does he suck it? It may seem like an unnecessarily graphic detail at first, but to the guy it may mean a lot in terms of how he sees her. He may be dating her becuse the chick/dick combination is just perfect for him or he may be dating her despite the dick (attracted to the rest of her, dick seen as a unfortunate blemish on his perfect woman).
Well I'm not friends with her or her bf, she's just a youtuber I watch occasionally, and the most detail she's gone into is that sex with her bfs now is the same as it was when she was "still a guy", so I'm guessing that if her bfs don't actively "celebrate" it, they're willing to interact with it haha.

Old 21-05-2018, 09:36 AM #148
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

Quote:

Yeah totally agree with that

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 09:43 AM #149
The voice of reason

The voice of reason

I think a lot of people who go on about it are not getting any sex at all never mind panfecking sex
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 02:12 PM #150
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
I think a lot of people who go on about it are not getting any sex at all never mind panfecking sex
I think tbh ingeneral there's plenty of intercourse going on but, it does sometimes occur to me that ANY label on sexuality is only relevant to single life... and also, that the importance of it all is amplified whilst single. When you're partnered up does any of it really matter all that much? But then I do think there's a general problem in some circles with people overemphasising the importance of sexual preference in their general concept of self. I'm not saying it isn't important, just that it should really be a relatively small component of a human being as a complete entity... and that very often people who DO make it the centrepiece of their existence can end up feeling a little bit empty later on.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 21-05-2018 at 02:13 PM.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
pansexuality, thing