Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

View Poll Results: Discriminated
Race 9 20.00%
Race
9 20.00%
Nationality 7 15.56%
Nationality
7 15.56%
Sex 11 24.44%
Sex
11 24.44%
Gender 11 24.44%
Sexuality 14 31.11%
Sexuality
14 31.11%
Religion 4 8.89%
Religion
4 8.89%
Disability 7 15.56%
Disability
7 15.56%
Physical appearance 10 22.22%
Physical appearance
10 22.22%
Class 6 13.33%
Class
6 13.33%
Occupation 5 11.11%
Occupation
5 11.11%
Other 4 8.89%
Other
4 8.89%
None 9 20.00%
None
9 20.00%
Age 6 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21-07-2018, 05:38 PM #51
Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
I guess all I can do is draw your attention to the thread's title:
"Do you believe you have ever been discriminated against"

I didn't feel discriminated against by them, so my answer is valid
Yeh, i was just confused by your answer so asked you to expand on it!
Old 21-07-2018, 05:41 PM #52
Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

I don't think in a very serious sense. I've never been denied service anywhere because of my sexuality but then I've never shown any form of PDA with a member of the same sex. The other two options I clicked were only factors at school - various minor bullying for not wearing designer brands / being overweight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 05:45 PM #53
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withano View Post
Nobody in this thread has said anything remotely similar to ‘women do not face discrimination’ brillo
Someone said that they as a white person could not be discriminated against because they aren’t a minority - he said nothing about sex. White women can and are but are hardly a minority. Geez! Even white men can be discriminated against by non-whites. It’s an incorrect sweeping statement.

Last edited by Brillopad; 21-07-2018 at 05:46 PM.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 05:45 PM #54
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
I don't think in a very serious sense. I've never been denied service anywhere because of my sexuality but then I've never shown any form of PDA with a member of the same sex. The other two options I clicked were only factors at school - various minor bullying for not wearing designer brands / being overweight.
Oh if we're counting everything... I was MASSIVELY discriminated against in primary school for being a boy and not liking (actively disliking) football. I might as well have said I had ****ing leprosy.

Thankfully in high school once people's interests started to diversify - and the other people who also aren't fussed for football stopped pretending that they loved it to fit in - it became much less of a problem.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 21-07-2018 at 05:47 PM.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 05:46 PM #55
it’s a mad, mad world

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Tera
BBUSA22: Janelle

it’s a mad, mad world

Favourites (more):

well actually now that i think about, when i was younger i got picked on for my weight a couple of times, would that count as discrimination?

Spoiler:

Matthew. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 05:47 PM #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew. View Post
well actually now that i think about, when i was younger i got picked on for my weight a couple of times, would that count as discrimination?
It would come under the "physical appearance" option due to being body shaming
Epic. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 05:47 PM #57

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
absolutely but it is so prevalent it is just accepted as a norm, rather than discrimination
Bashing(figuratively) the older generations is ‘progressive’ to some of the youf these days.

“Gammon”
“Brexit voting coffin dodgers” etc etc
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 05:49 PM #58
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

Quote:
Yeh, i was just confused by your answer so asked you to expand on it!
Have I made what and why I feel clear, even if you don't agree?

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 05:51 PM #59
it’s a mad, mad world

Favourites (more):

it’s a mad, mad world

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic. View Post
It would come under the "physical appearance" option due to being body shaming
oh ok, cant vote in the poll again though i dont think, but thanks anyway

Spoiler:

Old 21-07-2018, 05:51 PM #60
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
Have I made what and why I feel clear, even if you don't agree?
Yeah
Old 21-07-2018, 05:53 PM #61
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
Someone said that they as a white person could not be discriminated against because they aren’t a minority - he said nothing about sex. White women can and are but are hardly a minority. Geez! Even white men can be discriminated against by non-whites. It’s an incorrect sweeping statement.
No, they said that they as a white person can not say what it feels like to be a person of colour, which is incredibly accurate.
Old 21-07-2018, 06:13 PM #62
it’s a mad, mad world

Favourites (more):

it’s a mad, mad world

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I dont think thats true tbf, i think straight people, white people, and men can all face discrimination.. it just happens less often.
and is generally less talked about but this doesn’t mean that it doesn’t happen.

Spoiler:

Old 21-07-2018, 06:30 PM #63
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redway View Post
My heart bleeds for people whose ancestors weren’t enslaved for centuries or weren’t seen as a man’s property over history.

See the ignorance on this forum.
I'm not sure you've thought that second one through, as exactly 50% of every man's ancestors were female.

I'm with you on race. Well, sort of. I'm with you in that I fully agree that there are ongoing issues (serious ones) to this day... Racism is NOT a "thing of the past". However I don't believe in ancestral hurt or guilt beyond what is still having a knock-on effect.
Old 21-07-2018, 06:31 PM #64
User banned

User banned

Quote:
My heart bleeds for people whose ancestors weren’t enslaved for centuries or weren’t seen as a man’s property over history.

See the ignorance on this forum.
And how many black men consider their wives as their property! Do you even see how discriminating black men, as well as white men, can be towards women which is every bit as ignorant.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 06:32 PM #65
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

(Its not a contest)
Old 21-07-2018, 06:44 PM #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I'm not sure you've thought that second one through, as exactly 50% of every man's ancestors were female.

I'm with you on race. Well, sort of. I'm with you in that I fully agree that there are ongoing issues (serious ones) to this day... Racism is NOT a "thing of the past". However I don't believe in ancestral hurt or guilt beyond what is still having a knock-on effect.
I’m talking about the historical role of women in the sense of being seen as a man’s property. What is it exactly that I didn’t think through?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
And how many black men consider their wives as their property! Do you even see how discriminating black men, as well as white men, can be towards women which is every bit as ignorant.
You could always quote me where I said some black men don’t have that attitude instead of jumping on the defensive for no reason.
Redway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 06:47 PM #67
-

-

Quote:
I’m talking about the historical role of women in the sense of being seen as a man’s property. What is it exactly that I didn’t think through?
You were suggesting that women's ancestors are women... Or rather, that men don't have ancestors who are women.

Though maybe you weren't being literal when you said "ancestors".
Old 21-07-2018, 06:49 PM #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
You were suggesting that women's ancestors are women... Or rather, that men don't have ancestors who are women.

Though maybe you weren't being literal when you said "ancestors".
I was giving two examples of discrimination. Racism and sexism. Notice I said “or” in-between “[...] ancestors” and “man’s property.”

At least read the post properly.
Old 21-07-2018, 06:51 PM #69
-

-

Quote:
I was giving two examples of discrimination. Racism and sexism. Notice I said “or” in-between “[...] ancestors” and “man’s property.”

At least read the post properly.
You said ancestors followed by two separate "weren't" statements which suggests that you intended both statements to apply to the term "ancestors".

I can accept that that's not what you meant and that's fine, but don't criticise other people's comprehension when it's your own sentence structure that's ****ed .
Old 21-07-2018, 06:57 PM #70
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Yes, and I don't really care anymore. Here's why...

There is a condition that runs through my family that subjected my mother and other family members to rather cruel treatment growing up. For example, when were crossing the street one time, a mother and her kids.. one of the kids came behind my mother "mimicking" her walk and followed her across the crosswalk. To the amusement of the mother and her other kids... this kind of treatment is more common than most people realize, and in my view, nobody is more stigmatized than the mentally ill and the physically disabled.

Anyway, I was also bullied in school and being small in stature didn't help either. There were other things that made me very different than other kids (race not included). I learned really fast, that the main reason I was the target for this behavior is because 1) I was an easy target being that I 'stood out' from the group 2) I ceded control over my emotional and psychological well-being over to these aggressors... 3) I was rightfully a bit obnoxious in my youth ()

When I figured out I was giving up my personal power, a switch went off and I took it back. I did not need permission to feel OK in my own shoes from other people. The idea of doing of someone trying to pull the wool over my eyes, to make me feel otherwise, now that actually angers me quite a bit. Like infuriatingly so. So much so, there's no chance I think I would ever cede that power again. In relating my sense of self to how I was treated in society, I was arming them with all the "propaganda" to effectively label and define my existance... so in realizing that, a vast majority of my misery went away pretty much overnight.

The other pressure that sort of led me to that conclusion is because my family's reaction to bullying in their early childhood. They have a crippling form of the disease, so "hiding" isn't really an option for them. So what was my uncle's solution? He is in his 40's and exists for the most part in his bedroom... will not leave out of fear of ridicule. When people come over, if he doesn't know them that well or haven't seen them in a while, he will turn around and rush back to his room... he may eventually come out when the fear goes down a bit, but in general, he's incredibly sensitive to other people's treatment of him. There's absolutely no reason for him to hide, he is actually quite a lovely personality and he's pretty funny... but he doesn't have a voice due to the form of the disease he has (we can understand him a little though), so that maybe intensifies the feeling of needing to be excluded so as to not put pressure on others to "assist" him... which is my other gripe... that is the tendency for most folk who encounter the disabled is to coddle/protect them... that's actually quite humiliating (and even annoying) at times for someone who already struggles to do very much, as people are quite pushy about wanting to help those who are in a "lesser" condition.

My mother is very similar, and she has lived with a major victim complex her whole life.

So I've seen what happens when we give power to other people in how we feel, and that's not a way to live life at all... my uncle has no quality of life, but he's fully adjusted to the situation because of the crippling fear. He does not wear glasses either, so he is virtually blind... means everyone has to do everything for him just about and it's not good, because he's already so much of his personal power to others. Thankfully they have family members that look after them now full-time who they trust (but also enable them), but I don't know what they will do when those family members pass...

So yeah... have I been discriminated? Oh hell yeah. In a few number of ways. But do I care now? No. ***** no... never let other people have control over your sense of well-being and your way of life. The best revenge is not giving a sh**. I do believe when we cede our emotions to others, we are making the problem much more complicated for ourselves than it really needs to be. The worst things we do in that mindset is what we do to (or don't do for) ourselves... how we treat ourselves is more important than whether we "belong".

Anyway, I think people who "discriminate", they do it because they crave the personal power they can't summon for themselves, so they get it from others... they want you to become restricted emotionally, as restricted as they feel. It absolutely says loads about those individuals, and it has very little to do with the person they are actually discriminating. I don't even "feel sorry" for people who are stuck in the victim-cycle, because I can see all the traps now... it's rather cyclical, but it's a bit like any other fear... getting past it is pretty much the most difficult part. If you live without other people's permission, then they have no choice but to deal with it. It's their problem...

TDLR: I think a large part of overcoming adversity is our attitude... yes, there are the real obstacles, like when someone is applying for welfare or having to participate in that rigged system, there's a lot of discrimination there, and that's always a battle. However, discrimination is very common (imo) in various walks of life... I think fixating on particular character traits or even skin tone or "looks", that's probably the point of the discrimination is to get you to be hung up on it... but there are plenty of areas of life where the field is rather even, actually, but only if you can learn to be your own hero, then you won't need anyone else to come save you...

Last edited by Maru; 21-07-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 07:39 PM #71
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maru View Post
Yes, and I don't really care anymore. Here's why...

There is a condition that runs through my family that subjected my mother and other family members to rather cruel treatment growing up. For example, when were crossing the street one time, a mother and her kids.. one of the kids came behind my mother "mimicking" her walk and followed her across the crosswalk. To the amusement of the mother and her other kids... this kind of treatment is more common than most people realize, and in my view, nobody is more stigmatized than the mentally ill and the physically disabled.

Anyway, I was also bullied in school and being small in stature didn't help either. There were other things that made me very different than other kids (race not included). I learned really fast, that the main reason I was the target for this behavior is because 1) I was an easy target being that I 'stood out' from the group 2) I ceded control over my emotional and psychological well-being over to these aggressors... 3) I was rightfully a bit obnoxious in my youth ()

When I figured out I was giving up my personal power, a switch went off and I took it back. I did not need permission to feel OK in my own shoes from other people. The idea of doing of someone trying to pull the wool over my eyes, to make me feel otherwise, now that actually angers me quite a bit. Like infuriatingly so. So much so, there's no chance I think I would ever cede that power again. In relating my sense of self to how I was treated in society, I was arming them with all the "propaganda" to effectively label and define my existance... so in realizing that, a vast majority of my misery went away pretty much overnight.

The other pressure that sort of led me to that conclusion is because my family's reaction to bullying in their early childhood. They have a crippling form of the disease, so "hiding" isn't really an option for them. So what was my uncle's solution? He is in his 40's and exists for the most part in his bedroom... will not leave out of fear of ridicule. When people come over, if he doesn't know them that well or haven't seen them in a while, he will turn around and rush back to his room... he may eventually come out when the fear goes down a bit, but in general, he's incredibly sensitive to other people's treatment of him. There's absolutely no reason for him to hide, he is actually quite a lovely personality and he's pretty funny... but he doesn't have a voice due to the form of the disease he has (we can understand him a little though), so that maybe intensifies the feeling of needing to be excluded so as to not put pressure on others to "assist" him... which is my other gripe... that is the tendency for most folk who encounter the disabled is to coddle/protect them... that's actually quite humiliating (and even annoying) at times for someone who already struggles to do very much, as people are quite pushy about wanting to help those who are in a "lesser" condition.

My mother is very similar, and she has lived with a major victim complex her whole life.

So I've seen what happens when we give power to other people in how we feel, and that's not a way to live life at all... my uncle has no quality of life, but he's fully adjusted to the situation because of the crippling fear. He does not wear glasses either, so he is virtually blind... means everyone has to do everything for him just about and it's not good, because he's already so much of his personal power to others. Thankfully they have family members that look after them now full-time who they trust (but also enable them), but I don't know what they will do when those family members pass...

So yeah... have I been discriminated? Oh hell yeah. In a few number of ways. But do I care now? No. ***** no... never let other people have control over your sense of well-being and your way of life. The best revenge is not giving a sh**. I do believe when we cede our emotions to others, we are making the problem much more complicated for ourselves than it really needs to be. The worst things we do in that mindset is what we do to (or don't do for) ourselves... how we treat ourselves is more important than whether we "belong".

Anyway, I think people who "discriminate", they do it because they crave the personal power they can't summon for themselves, so they get it from others... they want you to become restricted emotionally, as restricted as they feel. It absolutely says loads about those individuals, and it has very little to do with the person they are actually discriminating. I don't even "feel sorry" for people who are stuck in the victim-cycle, because I can see all the traps now... it's rather cyclical, but it's a bit like any other fear... getting past it is pretty much the most difficult part. If you live without other people's permission, then they have no choice but to deal with it. It's their problem...

TDLR: I think a large part of overcoming adversity is our attitude... yes, there are the real obstacles, like when someone is applying for welfare or having to participate in that rigged system, there's a lot of discrimination there, and that's always a battle. However, discrimination is very common (imo) in various walks of life... I think fixating on particular character traits or even skin tone or "looks", that's probably the point of the discrimination is to get you to be hung up on it... but there are plenty of areas of life where the field is rather even, actually, but only if you can learn to be your own hero, then you won't need anyone else to come save you...
People with disabilities are far and away the most discriminated against, they are either patronised, mocked or ignored, and only treated as equals by a few

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'

Last edited by Cherie; 21-07-2018 at 08:43 PM.
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 09:04 PM #72

Jesus loads.

Being Welsh you're always the butt of jokes, having anxiety makes people judge how you deal with everyday situations (call you weird etc) and also being a self-employed artist I constantly get "WHY DON'T YOU GET A REAL JOB?".

Best one though was we had a female teacher in Primary School who didn't hide the fact she didn't care for little boys and only used to help the girls in lessons and used to ignore us boys

Last edited by LaLaLand; 21-07-2018 at 09:04 PM.
LaLaLand is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 09:15 PM #73
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Quote:
"My heart bleeds for people whose ancestors weren’t enslaved for centuries or weren’t seen as a man’s property over history."
Just about every population in the world has been enslaved at one point or another. I think that purporting blacks to be the sole minority to have been persecuted and treated in this way isn't constructive debate. Unfortunately slavery was a common practice up until recent times, until thankfully civilizations finally started to move away from it...

Last edited by Maru; 21-07-2018 at 09:17 PM.
Old 21-07-2018, 09:31 PM #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maru View Post
Just about every population in the world has been enslaved at one point or another. I think that purporting blacks to be the sole minority to have been persecuted and treated in this way isn't constructive debate. Unfortunately slavery was a common practice up until recent times, until thankfully civilizations finally started to move away from it...
Enslavement didn't happen at the same level across all groups though. Obviously.

My heart doesn't bleed for straight white men being discriminated against on those factors. That's without taking into account personal forms of discrimination but this thread's all about prejudice based on external factors.

Last edited by Redway; 21-07-2018 at 09:32 PM.
Old 21-07-2018, 10:06 PM #75
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Enslavement didn't happen at the same level across all groups though. Obviously.

My heart doesn't bleed for straight white men being discriminated against on those factors. That's without taking into account personal forms of discrimination but this thread's all about prejudice based on external factors.
Not, not obviously. Ancient Rome. Jews. Africans have also enslaved whites. Native Americans were enslaved when Europeans involved. The Aztecs, Mayans, etc were enslaved and murdered by the Spanish. Marriage up until recent times was a form of enslavement. Domestic violence was often a part of that deal as well and in some cases, so was rape. Some hispanic cultures have domestic violence historically as a way to enforce spousal loyalty. I'm sure there are other historical contexts that are comparable. Sex-trafficking is a form of slavery and still goes on today (all races), in quite a traumatic form actually. My point is, pigment has nothing to do with how or whether hardship occurs... it all relates back to the environment and when the cultural conditions support it...

Thankfully, many cultures have moved away from a mentality that supports it, but it doesn't stop individuals from being abused, whatever color, or even women (or even just people) to be enslaved in one form or another. I had a friend who family raised her to in a cult... she was confused as a child when her mother and her aunt would sleep in the same bed with her father, and would have to lie to friends about cousins who were actually siblings. She was given a role and told to fulfill it. She'd been in and out of one inappropriate and abusive relationship one after another all through her childhood and is just now getting help... I'm guessing some would want to know her race to see how low on the totem pole she exists, but what if I told you it doesn't even matter?... enslavement comes in all kinds of forms.

I also wouldn't say men always have a cakewalk either. Trauma can happen to anyone for any variety of reasons.

Last edited by Maru; 21-07-2018 at 10:12 PM.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
discriminated