Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

View Poll Results: Discriminated
Race 9 20.00%
Race
9 20.00%
Nationality 7 15.56%
Nationality
7 15.56%
Sex 11 24.44%
Sex
11 24.44%
Gender 11 24.44%
Sexuality 14 31.11%
Sexuality
14 31.11%
Religion 4 8.89%
Religion
4 8.89%
Disability 7 15.56%
Disability
7 15.56%
Physical appearance 10 22.22%
Physical appearance
10 22.22%
Class 6 13.33%
Class
6 13.33%
Occupation 5 11.11%
Occupation
5 11.11%
Other 4 8.89%
Other
4 8.89%
None 9 20.00%
None
9 20.00%
Age 6 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22-07-2018, 02:10 AM #76

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Kathryn
BBCanada 7: Dane

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Kathryn
BBCanada 7: Dane

Race because some ignorant people in Singapore still think Filipinos are slaves in a way...

Sexuality because being a part of the LGBTQ community is frowned upon here by the government (I’m bisexual.)

Physical appearance as I used to be a fat kid in school and was ridiculed for my size and my ability not to do well in Physical Education classes...
Eddie. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 06:22 AM #77
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maru View Post
Not, not obviously. Ancient Rome. Jews. Africans have also enslaved whites. Native Americans were enslaved when Europeans involved. The Aztecs, Mayans, etc were enslaved and murdered by the Spanish. Marriage up until recent times was a form of enslavement. Domestic violence was often a part of that deal as well and in some cases, so was rape. Some hispanic cultures have domestic violence historically as a way to enforce spousal loyalty. I'm sure there are other historical contexts that are comparable. Sex-trafficking is a form of slavery and still goes on today (all races), in quite a traumatic form actually. My point is, pigment has nothing to do with how or whether hardship occurs... it all relates back to the environment and when the cultural conditions support it...

Thankfully, many cultures have moved away from a mentality that supports it, but it doesn't stop individuals from being abused, whatever color, or even women (or even just people) to be enslaved in one form or another. I had a friend who family raised her to in a cult... she was confused as a child when her mother and her aunt would sleep in the same bed with her father, and would have to lie to friends about cousins who were actually siblings. She was given a role and told to fulfill it. She'd been in and out of one inappropriate and abusive relationship one after another all through her childhood and is just now getting help... I'm guessing some would want to know her race to see how low on the totem pole she exists, but what if I told you it doesn't even matter?... enslavement comes in all kinds of forms.

I also wouldn't say men always have a cakewalk either. Trauma can happen to anyone for any variety of reasons.
Completely agree Maru. Some very good points there. Enslavement has taken many forms and affected many people and is certainly not just a case of black v white. Blacks also enslave other blacks and that still goes on today. Men, white and black, sell women into sex slavery again which still goes on today. And yes marriage is still a form of slavery in some cultures today. Slavery, of one kind or another, is far more extensive than most acknowledge, or even think about - and today in our so-called modern world.

Last edited by Brillopad; 22-07-2018 at 06:39 AM.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 06:37 AM #78
User banned

User banned

Sorry Withano, not trying to be picky, but as your poll only allows us to pick one thing on which we have been discriminated against it doesn’t really give an accurate picture of discrimination as many/most can be discriminated against for more than one reason.
Old 22-07-2018, 06:46 AM #79
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withano View Post
Can’t really add a severity scale to the poll, but which forms of discrimination do you believe you’ve dealt with on any level?
...just really to add Withano’s OP again in him saying he can’t add a severity to the scale...I do completely get what Redway is saying, I think the point of what he wa saying wasn’t put in the best way though with slavery etc...people being discriminated against, feeling prejudices and intolerance for a skin colour..is something that many people still experience many times through their lives in different ways...some ways may be able to be ‘brushed off’ and other ways, not so much...they penetrate a little deeper or they have a huge impact on lives in terms of acts of violence toward...obviously its down to an individual character as well, an ability to be able to brush off the smaller things../..forms of discrimination and prejudices...and it is always hopefully progressing and has definately progressed hugely from back in the day stuff through history...but it is very real and very much felt so it cannot be distracted from or detracted from because it’s not the only discrimination and prejudice in existence...I think that’s what Redway is trying to address in ‘you have to have felt it to truly understand’ it’s prevalence still in today’s society...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 06:47 AM #80
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
Sorry Withano, not trying to be picky, but as your poll only allows us to pick one thing on which we have been discriminated against it doesn’t really give an accurate picture of discrimination as many/most can be discriminated against for more than one reason.
...well Withano is just useless at making polls I reckon, Brillo...because there are multi choice options I believe...what does he know though...
Old 22-07-2018, 06:53 AM #81
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...no I don’t think I’ve ever felt discriminated against as such...a bit of patronising on occasions and mansplained to by TS obviously...but I don’t feel special because he mansplains to all females in equal measure..(..and also to all males in equal measure..)..allegedly and apparently...tongue in cheek smiley inserted...

...but no, not actual discrimination or prejudice or intolerance...but then through my working life in the past, I’ve mainly worked in a female world is the thing..and us females don’t tend to discriminate each other, or the ones I’ve known anyway...I’ll femalesplain that to TS so he can see where he’s going wrong etc and why he’s felt his discrimination ....
Old 22-07-2018, 06:59 AM #82
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
...well Withano is just useless at making polls I reckon, Brillo...because there are multi choice options I believe...what does he know though...
Are there. I wanted to pick another but could not see a way of doing that.
Old 22-07-2018, 06:59 AM #83
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
...no I don’t think I’ve ever felt discriminated against as such...a bit of patronising on occasions and mansplained to by TS obviously...but I don’t feel special because he mansplains to all females in equal measure..(..and also to all males in equal measure..)..allegedly and apparently...tongue in cheek smiley inserted...

...but no, not actual discrimination or prejudice or intolerance...but then through my working life in the past, I’ve mainly worked in a female world is the thing. and us females don’t tend to discriminate each other, or the ones I’ve known anyway...I’ll femalesplain that to TS so he can see where he’s going wrong etc and why he’s felt his discrimination ....
Such a tolerant sex you are. Do you have any flaws?
Alf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 07:01 AM #84
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Are there. I wanted to pick another but could not see a way of doing that.
...I have to admit I very rarely take part in polls, Brillo...but I do believe there are multi vote options so long as they’re set at the time of making a poll..(..if I recall correctly..)...just by ticking more than one box at the rime of voting as well but I don’t think it can be changed once a ‘one vote’ has been entered...
Old 22-07-2018, 07:03 AM #85
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
Such a tolerant sex you are. Do you have any flaws?
...hmmm, I don’t think so, Alf...but if you give me a wee while...a day or so..?..I might be able to think of some...I promise I’ll try for you...but only because it is you, you know..
Old 22-07-2018, 07:49 AM #86
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...actually Alf, I just had a little think in the shower...I personally haven’t felt any discrimination in my life...but females often do discriminate against each other, no less than a male can discriminate against a female for a lifestyle or a body shape or whatever..?...things we see on this very forum like for instance....doesn’t she look amazing and stunning in that bikini with her shapely body and her asthetically pretty face etc...as oppose to ughhh, she’s too old for that, not a body shape for that and ughhh, do we really need to see that...discriminating in sexism in ageism in body shape ism and etc...

...also with the lifestyle choices of females in terms of sexual lifestyle choices...ugggh, all of those children, all of those partners...all of that sexual misconduct stuff....that slaaaaaaaaaaaaaag....etc...

...these are discriminations and prejudices against females and by both males and females ....I’ll think of more I’m sure...just the first ones to come to mind...
Old 22-07-2018, 08:38 AM #87
Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
That isnt true

Last edited by Withano; 22-07-2018 at 08:43 AM.
Withano is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 08:40 AM #88
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
It is multichoice you two are just useless at answering polls
Old 22-07-2018, 10:50 AM #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
in the 90s after an IRA bomb went off in London, walked into work and one of my colleagues intimated that I should feel ashamed, I told him I had suspended my membership of the IRA so he had nothing to worry about

I think everyone suffers discrimination at some point in their lives, same with bullying it happens to everyone its how you deal with it or let it affect your life that counts
I would have unloaded the greatest number of swear words at the ignorant bastard that I could have mustered, Cherie.

kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 11:09 AM #90
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklancaster View Post
I would have unloaded the greatest number of swear words at the ignorant bastard that I could have mustered, Cherie.
I think he got the gist

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 11:17 AM #91
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...I guess what I find hard about these discussions..(specifically on the forum because it’s not something I encounter in real life with any similar discussions with family/friends etc...)...discussions about discrimination for things like race, sex, gender, sexuality etc in particular...are often very much ‘what about us’, so they kind of don’t really progress that much or stretch very much because the threads get stuck in those things quite a bit...it’s something I don’t really understand at all because all who have felt discrimination in any way in their lives for any of those things would surely feel empathy and understanding in sharing a common feeling...because the ‘us’ of what about us is all of us...some to a lesser degree and some to a greater with different impacts etc but it’s still a common feeling of discrimination shared by all...

...and yeah if straight, white men have felt discrimination because they’re straight or white or men...then they’re an ‘us’ as well...
Old 22-07-2018, 12:29 PM #92

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
I think he got the gist
The world needs strong people like you cherie.
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 01:05 PM #93

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Im scottish...my forefathers were raped and pillaged, starved and buggered by the english....your forefathers were raped, enslaved etc by the english/british...yet here we both are...

Living in england...moaning.

Last edited by Niamh.; 23-07-2018 at 01:11 PM. Reason: removed insulting post quoted
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 01:36 PM #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
Im scottish...my forefathers were raped and pillaged, starved and buggered by the english....your forefathers were raped, enslaved etc by the english/british...yet here we both are...

Living in england...moaning.
I’m not discounting individual experiences but racism to black people runs a lot deeper. Like someone else said it’s not about comparing or point-scoring but I don’t remember Scots ever being considered a savage race worldwide. I wouldnt think institutional racism and daily discrimination applies as much either. Or police brutality. Or public segregation. Or racist murders. I don’t think there’s a racist word used against Scots in the same way the n word is to people of colour either.

I don’t know why it pains some privileged people on here to admit that some deep-rooted types of discrimination can’t be understood fully without the experience and cultural upbringing. All I see you doing is belittling people of colour’s experiences because white men can be victims too. LMAO. No problem.
Redway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 01:44 PM #95
Banned

Banned

Of course.

I think bisexual people are in an interesting position because we can see things from both sides. I have never been discriminated against when I've had a girlfriend or I've walked down the street with one. I've never had any issues with people thinking I'm straight. On the occasions I've had a boyfriend however, it's a different story. I think to say that straight people can be seriously discriminated against just isn't really true. The way the world is, straight is the default. There's never been a reason for people to believe that they aren't entitled to the same rights as gay people because they are straight, straight people have never lived in fear because they are straight. They are the natural majority and always will be.

I've never felt like I've been discriminated against because I'm a man unless it ties into my sexuality. I've never thought 'Okay, I'm a man and this situation is dangerous for me because of that.' I'm not saying that sexism against men isn't possible, but in comparison to what women have to deal with, can we really complain? Our quality of life is good.

I think people can be racist against white people but I do think that most white people that believe they are being discriminated against because they are white are kind of deluding themselves. There are instances of actual discrimination of course but most of the time white people just want to be seen as victims.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 06:20 PM #96
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Of course.

I think bisexual people are in an interesting position because we can see things from both sides. I have never been discriminated against when I've had a girlfriend or I've walked down the street with one. I've never had any issues with people thinking I'm straight. On the occasions I've had a boyfriend however, it's a different story. I think to say that straight people can be seriously discriminated against just isn't really true. The way the world is, straight is the default. There's never been a reason for people to believe that they aren't entitled to the same rights as gay people because they are straight, straight people have never lived in fear because they are straight. They are the natural majority and always will be.

I've never felt like I've been discriminated against because I'm a man unless it ties into my sexuality. I've never thought 'Okay, I'm a man and this situation is dangerous for me because of that.' I'm not saying that sexism against men isn't possible, but in comparison to what women have to deal with, can we really complain? Our quality of life is good.

I think people can be racist against white people but I do think that most white people that believe they are being discriminated against because they are white are kind of deluding themselves. There are instances of actual discrimination of course but most of the time white people just want to be seen as victims.
so straight white people can't be discriminated against on grounds of age, religion, gender, disability, nationality etc ?????? your focus is purely on sexuality which really isn't the be all and end all of discrimination

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'

Last edited by Cherie; 22-07-2018 at 06:22 PM.
Old 22-07-2018, 06:32 PM #97

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Quote:
Originally Posted by montblanc View Post
what does this have to do with anything?
Well if you read the words you would see that Redway said that the Scots had never been treated/thought of as a Savage people. I was pointing out that in fact they have.

Is there anything else you need clarification on while we are here?

Many peoples have dark and troubled histories and the experiences of one people do not trump or take away the suffering of another people.

For instance English landowners practically starved the Irish most cruelly during the potato famine. (Sorry Cherie, Naimh!)

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins

Last edited by jaxie; 22-07-2018 at 06:44 PM.
jaxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 06:43 PM #98
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

http://www.thisisbigbrother.com/foru...ight=traveller

This is the worst thread I have ever seen on TiBB in terms of discrimination, every stereotype in the book was pulled out and applied to all

Last edited by Cherie; 22-07-2018 at 06:45 PM.
Old 22-07-2018, 06:45 PM #99
haunted

Favourites (more):
Love Island 5: Amber
Love Island 3: Marino

haunted

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxie View Post
Well if you read the words you would see that Redway said that the Scots had never been treated/thought of as a Savage people. I was pointing out that in fact they have.

Is there anything else you need clarification on while we are here?

Many peoples have dark and troubled histories and the experiences of one people do not trump or take away the suffering of another people.

For instance English landowners practically starved the Irish most cruelly during the potato famine.
well yes but black people are STILL affected by the aftermath of slavery today

Spoiler:

montblanc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 06:46 PM #100
haunted

Favourites (more):

haunted

Favourites (more):

which is why the multiple ‘it’s just history’ comments regarding african slavery are extremely ignorant

Spoiler:

montblanc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
discriminated