Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 07-08-2019, 01:07 PM #151
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
and that's why there is no point discussing anything with you
I'm not the only one who thinks your generalised ' reasoned argument' suggestion is piss poor,unless you can explain what in your mind constitutes a reasoned argument? One that won't be shot down as any of the examples I stated earlier...
The fact is you can't, so you end the debate which is fine, except you're atempting to blame me for your short comings and I'm not willing to accept that.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:20 PM #152
Banned

Banned

You can't have reasoned debate with irrational people and a lot of Trump's base is irrational and beyond reason at this point. I think a lot of other people who ended up voting for him last time who aren't extreme in their views have probably turned their back on him by now. The only people left on his side are the extreme elements who can't really be reasoned with.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:45 PM #153
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
"condemn racism,
bigotry and
white supremacy,"
Old 07-08-2019, 01:47 PM #154
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Trump has a base of 30% and it doesn't matter what is said, they will always support him. The moment someone throws bigot or whatever generalised insult at them, the undecided then need to make a yes or no choice .... Is he a bigot or not. Throwing that term around is a cop out, there is much more chance of someone taking offence if they even slightly agree with Trump and are by association being classed as a bigot thus bringing more to the side of Trump.

Use reasoned argument, it's not so clear cut, people don't feel the need to join with and support "the bigot". It's non polarising, it avoids creating division.

At the moment, most of the dems are falling for it every time
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:56 PM #155
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Don't call rapists, rapists said the concerned citizen; they won't realise rape is wrong if you call them out for rape.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:58 PM #156
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

We are not politicians so we can afford talking straight
I agree that Dems need to address the same issues as trump does, but in a measured way
But, they also need to call out his demagoguery and hate-mongering.
Twosugars is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:59 PM #157
Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Quote:
Trump has a base of 30% and it doesn't matter what is said, they will always support him. The moment someone throws bigot or whatever generalised insult at them, the undecided then need to make a yes or no choice .... Is he a bigot or not. Throwing that term around is a cop out, there is much more chance of someone taking offence if they even slightly agree with Trump and are by association being classed as a bigot thus bringing more to the side of Trump.

Use reasoned argument, it's not so clear cut, people don't feel the need to join with and support "the bigot". It's non polarising, it avoids creating division.

The argument is actually over when a bigot defends their views with bigotry, not once they’re called a bigot.

I’d imagine the bigot would then kick up a fuss which is probably why you’ve said what you’ve said cos the discussion will turn to squabbles. But na, they lose when they bring outdated views to the present day.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:09 PM #158
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Quote:

In your first sentence you are kind of agreeing with TS that the 30% wont hear reasoned arguments. Define 'reasoned argument' please cuz I'm not sure what you mean. I hear alot of reasoned arguments answered by that 30% with outrageous bias.

Regarding anyone who aligns themselves with Donnies rhetoric. I dont deny there are immigration issues all over the world but to talk of an 'invasion' and 'infestation' I dont think reasonable people align themselves with such views.

Quote:
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you. - Don Marquis
GiRTh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:12 PM #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper View Post

Yes he loves talking before he Fly's off
to meet the Mayor in El Paso. today.
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:14 PM #160
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper View Post
Don't call rapists, rapists said the concerned citizen; they won't realise rape is wrong if you call them out for rape.
Not rapists, but people with non-consensual sex preference. We mustn't forgo a reasoned dialogue
Old 07-08-2019, 02:19 PM #161
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
In your first sentence you are kind of agreeing with TS that the 30% wont hear reasoned arguments. Define 'reasoned argument' please cuz I'm not sure what you mean. I hear alot of reasoned arguments answered by that 30% with outrageous bias.

Regarding anyone who aligns themselves with Donnies rhetoric. I dont deny there are immigration issues all over the world but to talk of an 'invasion' and 'infestation' I dont think reasonable people align themselves with such views.
Lets start with the fact that bigot is a very generalised insult. It's not a term of endearment. The moment it is used it forces people to say no he is not or yes he is ... it polarising.

If an undecided voter agrees with anything that "the bigot" says, then he is by association a bigot and becomes equally offended. That's how Trump gets voters

Trump uses terms like infestation and invasion because he knows it triggers the dems and makes them come back with ... you racist bas ... polarising .... because at the end of the day, there is an immigration problem, everyone knows it .... everyone knows something needs to be done .... but here are the dems calling Trump a racist bas for suggesting it

Everything Trump does is planned to divide and polarise ... and with the exception of one or two like Nancy, he gets them every time.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:23 PM #162
Banned

Banned

Sometimes a spade is a spade and calling it any different doesn't help anyone.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:27 PM #163
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Lets start with the fact that bigot is a very generalised insult. It's not a term of endearment. The moment it is used it forces people to say no he is not or yes he is ... it polarising.

If an undecided voter agrees with anything that "the bigot" says, then he is by association a bigot and becomes equally offended. That's how Trump gets voters

Trump uses terms like infestation and invasion because he knows it triggers the dems and makes them come back with ... you racist bas ... polarising .... because at the end of the day, there is an immigration problem, everyone knows it .... everyone knows something needs to be done .... but here are the dems calling Trump a racist bas for suggesting it

Everything Trump does is planned to divide and polarise ... and with the exception of one or two like Nancy, he gets them every time.
This makes a bunch of assumptions. Are you talking specifically about Donnies immigration views? I agree with Trump on some issues - like draining the swamp and the ineffectiveness of congress - but its his rhetoric and bear baiting that disgusts me. I dont expect to be called a bigot for that and I dont think anyone has.

His views on immigration are indeed deliberately polarizing, I agree, He knows exactly what he's doing and he's stepping it up at the moment. I think if anyone aligns themselves with this disgusting way of describing people then questions need to asked. The name calling is too much but questions definitely need to be asked.

Quote:
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you. - Don Marquis
GiRTh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:29 PM #164
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
Yes he loves talking before he Fly's off
to meet the Mayor in El Paso. today.
So going back to your point that he had changed his views, does that seem as though he's been in a mode of self reflection since the shootings?
Old 08-08-2019, 01:36 PM #165

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):

Its surely a factor of everything..

Maybe not this shooting, but certainly other mass killings can have the problems of these violent games on a young mind at the forefront of its cause..

Trump's language before this event has been somewhat misguided and unfortunate but the left has jumped on this and trumps words for thier own gain..trump says infestation...the left, on all news outlets I've been watching have used that word "infestation" and added other words like cockroaches etc to make trump look disgusting..

I don't think of cockroaches when I hear that word..I think of mice or nettles in the garden..

So in summary, I do believe that violent games and indeed the Internet can have a very negative and sometimes damaging effect on a young brain..and even more so on a young brain already struggling with other things.
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:42 PM #166
0_o

0_o

I do agree that bigot is very very overused currently. Seems to be shouted at anyone who has a different view to the 'accepted leftie one'. I say this as a leftie myself too..but yeah. Have seen many instances of bigot being used for no reason other than to shut down someones opinion. Oddly enough, some of those shouting bigot are actually bigots themselves..if we go by the 'a person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions' definition.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:50 PM #167

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
I do agree that bigot is very very overused currently. Seems to be shouted at anyone who has a different view to the 'accepted leftie one'. I say this as a leftie myself too..but yeah. Have seen many instances of bigot being used for no reason other than to shut down someones opinion. Oddly enough, some of those shouting bigot are actually bigots themselves..if we go by the 'a person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions' definition.

Surprised you're a lefty...some of the violence and intoletance you have described yourself doing on here sounds more right wing than left, if that's whats to be believed of the left and right in the various acusations that are flung from side to side that is.

Last edited by parmnion; 08-08-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:56 PM #168
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
Surprised you're a lefty...some of the violence and intoletance you have described yourself doing on here sounds more right wing than left, if that's whats to be believed of the left and right in the various acusations that are flung from side to side that is.
You equate violence with right wing? I wouldn't. Far right maybe, not right in general.

I am probably quite centre overall, but lean more left than anything else. Tbh, my views are all over the place, but tend to be more aligning with the left wing than right

Would also be interested in what violence and intolerance you are talking about?
Quote:
Quote:
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.

Last edited by Vicky.; 08-08-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:57 PM #169

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
You equate violence with right wing? I wouldn't. Far right maybe, not right in general.

I am probably quite centre overall, but lean more left than anything else. Tbh, my views are all over the place, but tend to be more aligning with the left wing than right
I don't. ..but it can't be denied that many many people do.

All those stories about you fighting and arguing with people in the past led me to believe what I posted.

Last edited by parmnion; 08-08-2019 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:00 PM #170
0_o

0_o

Ha. I can be argumentative sure. But I still tend to align mainly with the left wing. Been distancing myself purposely recently though, as I disagree with how things seem to be going..waaaaay too polarised for me and just screaming 'bigot' at someone with a diffrent opinion really doesn't work for me tbh.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-08-2019, 02:27 PM #171
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Trump is a bigot

And a racist and white supremacist

Last edited by Twosugars; 08-08-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:29 PM #172
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twosugars View Post
Trump is a bigot

I do agree with this though

Sometimes it does need to be said, and is fairly obvious
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-08-2019, 02:30 PM #173
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twosugars View Post
Trump is a bigot

And sexist

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 02:33 PM #174
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
I do agree with this though

Sometimes it does need to be said, and is fairly obvious
Quote:
And sexist

And a big orange liar and cheat, draft-dodger and rapist (according to Ivana and others)
Old 08-08-2019, 02:59 PM #175

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

He may be one of those words described but it cant be denied that his balls have straddled the entire world since his presidency.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
blames, donald, games, health, internet, media, mental, shootings, social, trump, video