Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

TV Chat Chat about anything else on TV not covered by the other forums in this category.

Old 06-01-2020, 10:36 PM #26
Marc

Favourites (more):
BB10: Marcus
BB6: Science

Marc

Favourites (more):

watched ep1 and ****ing hell

Truly terrifying but so, so well made.
Babayaro. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:36 PM #27
Marc

Favourites (more):

Marc

Favourites (more):

On to episode 2!

Last edited by Babayaro.; 06-01-2020 at 10:36 PM.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:44 AM #28
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

the ending having a go at people for watching. You can't make a massive Netflix programme about something and then absolve yourself of your perceived immorality about the whole project, love.

I knew nothing about the case prior to watching and it's pretty shocking in all honesty. Sad, frightening, creepy and completely unusual.

I appreciate the message of the documentary (and the ending) in some respect: social media allowing a platform for the most depraved content to be broadcast to an audience, the idea of someone like Magnotta being 'fed' attention and it fueling his desires... but I think it was a little glib to frame it so "and YOU'RE TO BLAME, TOO" at the end since... I mean... look at the platform you're using, dears. I don't see a correlation between one serial killer obsessed with films, modeling and his own fan club and "social media caused it", because there've been many other cults in the past that allowed for a killer to feel like they got attention (the Manson cult, the Zodiac killer, etc - the latter in particular was always going to toy with the police and anyone investigating, because it was a game to that perpetrator(s). This "are we to blame?" rhetoric at the end seems a little... self-aggrandizing, like... we want to make a documentary about a famous criminal, but also want to make it seem like we have a point to make.

I feel they could've gone at it from the angle of criticising the presence of sites like that "gore" website where the videos of his crimes were hosted, or Liveleak, or other such sites, since... it's a far more obvious link between criminal behaviour and sharing violent, disgusting images and content with the world. But this was pretty much glossed over... perhaps because those involved in hunting Magnotta down were involved with such sites?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:57 AM #29
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

Completely gloss over the fact that their group also drove someone to kill themselves, as well

Quote:

Old 07-01-2020, 04:59 AM #30
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...there was quite a bit that was glossed over, I thought...like the police involvement...it was only fleetingly mentioned that the police had been informed...so it felt a little like a ‘game’...but they had informed the police, jurisdiction was obviously an issue...I felt a little that when the vid of Jun Lin was posted...yes, there was shock and terror etc...but also a little element of...’I told them, I TOLD THEM and LOOK...’...which was taking a more centre stage to a human being brutally killed ...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:00 AM #31
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Completely gloss over the fact that their group also drove someone to kill themselves, as well
...yeah, that was difficult...the guy who killed himself...
Old 07-01-2020, 05:02 AM #32
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...but I guess with something like this, the focus will always be on the macabre of the killer Luka Magnotta and uniqueness of the story...it’s up to us as viewers to take time out to reflect on all of the aspects...and it does stay in your head for quite some time...
Old 07-01-2020, 05:07 AM #33
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
...there was quite a bit that was glossed over, I thought...like the police involvement...it was only fleetingly mentioned that the police had been informed...so it felt a little like a ‘game’...but they had informed the police, jurisdiction was obviously an issue...I felt a little that when the vid of Jun Lin was posted...yes, there was shock and terror etc...but also a little element of...’I told them, I TOLD THEM and LOOK...’...which was taking a more centre stage to a human being brutally killed ...
Apparently their contact with the police was "an email" (to some detective who was on vacation at the time). I would like to think that if I had tracked someone down who was killing animals and uploading it to the internet, I, or one of the people in that group, would've been a little more persistent than "one email".

The more I think about it I feel the documentary's been made to absolve the group of their feelings of guilt. Because let's face it: Magnotta's arrest was done with pretty much no involvement from them. He wasn't even found guilty of the cat/dog crimes. He left behind a ridiculous crime scene and every piece of incriminating evidence he could've done (perhaps because he wanted, or a part of his mind wanted, to be caught), was using his own name abroad in booking hotels... he would've been caught without this group's work. And the more I consider this, the more I find myself appalled by the documentary's tone; that it was some supposed vigilante Facebook group that "knew what he was going to do" but... did next to nothing in actually stopping him. Because it's easier to blame the police and say they weren't taken seriously.

And the persistent sense of gratification they get from making connections to his online presence and what certain aspects of the crime involved (the names of his aliases, the films he was inspired by, the tracking down of specific streetlights) just smacks of the popcorn-investigation the documentary so dismissively criticises.

Quote:

Last edited by Shaun; 07-01-2020 at 05:10 AM.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:11 AM #34
Lisa Scott-Lee Expert

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 6: Siannise

Lisa Scott-Lee Expert

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 6: Siannise

This was so twisted and shocking.

There’s a Baudi Moovin Fanclub group on Facebook and Deanna has been answering a load of questions on there.

For example there were two men in the video, it’s not Jun Lin tied up in the beginning but some other guy then it splices to Jun Lin already dead and Luka stabbing him.
Wizard. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:16 AM #35
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Apparently their contact with the police was "an email" (to some detective who was on vacation at the time). I would like to think that if I had tracked someone down who was killing animals and uploading it to the internet, I, or one of the people in that group, would've been a little more persistent than "one email".

The more I think about it I feel the documentary's been made to absolve the group of their feelings of guilt. Because let's face it: Magnotta's arrest was done with pretty much no involvement from them. He wasn't even found guilty of the cat/dog crimes. He left behind a ridiculous crime scene and every piece of incriminating evidence he could've done (perhaps because he wanted, or a part of his mind wanted, to be caught), was using his own name abroad in booking hotels... he would've been caught without this group's work. And the more I consider this, the more I find myself appalled by the documentary's tone; that it was some supposed vigilante Facebook group that "knew what he was going to do" but... did next to nothing in actually stopping him. Because it's easier to blame the police and say they weren't taken seriously.
...I have to say that the lack of police involvement, didn’t sit right with me from the off either...that it all felt more like it was becoming an Internet game to some in the group...for others, they were just piling their hate on top of his...we’re going to do this to you/we’re going to do that to you etc...when that older guy got the a alert in the middle of the nigh5 or early hours of the morning..?...it almost felt like he was feeling excitement...this was the moment he had been waiting for...

...but then the whole ‘cat and mouse game’ thing was what Luka had skilfully and sickeningly created...build it and they will come, is so true, sadly...
Old 07-01-2020, 05:34 AM #36
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...when she said that there would be more vids to come, like with the cat vids...that she knew that wouldn’t be the end...it felt more than just an acceptance, it almost felt like the thrill of an anticipation...obviously no more came because he was stopped...but the reactions being evoked with this group..(..even the level headed ones..)...was very disturbing...
Old 07-01-2020, 05:37 AM #37
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

i switched this off after 5 mins and put it firmly in the "not for me" category
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:44 PM #38
Marc

Favourites (more):

Marc

Favourites (more):

This was a really good, gripping watch. But I have to agree with Ammi and Shaun's views on it.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:13 AM #39
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:

And the persistent sense of gratification they get from making connections to his online presence and what certain aspects of the crime involved (the names of his aliases, the films he was inspired by, the tracking down of specific streetlights) just smacks of the popcorn-investigation the documentary so dismissively criticises.
No they properly contacted the canadian Police after the cat killings when they figured out where he lived, the Cop looked into it and said that Luka had moved to Russia

I did find the group digging that deep a bit off as well tbh, I think people way over step the line online but also think that the Internet need proper policing as well so if videos like animal torture killing pop up they have a dedicated team who will look into it

I had never heard of this case either which I found odd considering how unusual and warped it was, I would have thought it would have been all over the news

I did also get kind of a fright at the end when Baudi turns and says you're guilty too

Oh also I spent all 3 episodes wondering if it was a mockumentary or real but I didn't want to google in case it was real and I got spoilers

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.

Last edited by Niamh.; 09-01-2020 at 09:16 AM.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:54 AM #40

Favourites (more):
Love Island 6: Shaughna
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle

Favourites (more):

Watched this last night. What a completely warped individual. I was in shock when they showed him imitating Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct during his police interrogation. And his mum is a weirdo as well. He killed a human being and like 6 animals graphically on camera and she calls them all stalkers and excessive? The two who caught him should be given medals
Cal. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:57 AM #41

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

I thought they said the police didn’t wanna know about their Facebook group until he killed Jun Lin? By which point most of the group’s work was done?
Old 09-01-2020, 09:58 AM #42

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

I feel stupid now for thinking John and Baudi were the good guys Cos I feel like something’s gone right over my head.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:58 AM #43
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal. View Post
Watched this last night. What a completely warped individual. I was in shock when they showed him imitating Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct during his police interrogation. And his mum is a weirdo as well. He killed a human being and like 6 animals graphically on camera and she calls them all stalkers and excessive? The two who caught him should be given medals
Also, she obviously knew about the cat videos as well

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Old 09-01-2020, 10:03 AM #44
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I feel stupid now for thinking John and Baudi were the good guys Cos I feel like something’s gone right over my head.
No I don't think it went over your head, I'm in two minds about it. I think their intentions were good, I think the problem is that because the internet is so badly policed and crimes like animal torture don't seem to be taken seriously and there is major jurisdiction problems because the internet isn't a country that creeps like Luka can get away with it (as long as he doesn't move on to humans I guess) which is wrong and infuriating so i see why they pursued him. the problem is mob mentality can take over when more people join in and it's so easy to get it wrong online as well and a casualty of that may have been Jamsey

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 09-01-2020, 01:57 PM #45
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
...(..I don’t know if it’s true..)...but I read that his mum was an obsessive about some stuff ...and as a child, she put a pet rabbit of his outside and the rabbit froze to death......his dad was diagnosed with schizophrenia ...
Old 10-01-2020, 01:41 AM #46
Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Ive watched up to the bit where he talks about Manny. Love a twist, probs won’t watch the rest - I think I can guess the rest
Old 10-01-2020, 06:06 AM #47

Watch it!!
Old 11-01-2020, 07:21 AM #48

I watched the first two eps last night....will watch the final one tonight.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:25 AM #49
27/01/2020

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Clara Amfo
BBUSA22: Da'Vonne

27/01/2020

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Clara Amfo
BBUSA22: Da'Vonne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Also, she obviously knew about the cat videos as well
Yep, when she was recalling the police arriving, the first thing she said to them was ‘is this about the cat videos?’
Morgan. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 07:35 AM #50
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts on it, Annie...

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
cats, fk, hunting, internet, killer, netflix