Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Closed Thread

Old 19-05-2020, 08:56 AM #101
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I love that they have this plan of trying to get 5 year olds to stay two metres apart. I wonder if any of these politicians have actually encountered a 5 year old, or if Nanny did most of the early child raising?

Spoiler: Herding cats.

You cannot REALISTICALLY get most children under at least 9 or 10 to socially distance reliably. Even then there are going to be some that either flout the rules or just plain forget.
I don't disagree, just finding it hard to swallow the hypocrisy of head teachers who have rotated their staff daily for the past 8 weeks to look after key worker children so rather than limiting contact with adults, they have opened up a whole pool of adults and children who can get infected but don't appear to have? apart from the odd case here and there

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'

Last edited by Cherie; 19-05-2020 at 09:42 AM.
Old 19-05-2020, 09:07 AM #102

USA Covid 19 Death rate now at 90,369
Old 19-05-2020, 10:05 AM #103

Quote:
I love that they have this plan of trying to get 5 year olds to stay two metres apart. I wonder if any of these politicians have actually encountered a 5 year old, or if Nanny did most of the early child raising?

Spoiler: Herding cats.

You cannot REALISTICALLY get most children under at least 9 or 10 to socially distance reliably. Even then there are going to be some that either flout the rules or just plain forget.
It's even funnier given that this isn't just about kids. From what I've witnessed most people seem to think 2 metres is about 2 feet.
Old 19-05-2020, 10:20 AM #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
It's even funnier given that this isn't just about kids. From what I've witnessed most people seem to think 2 metres is about 2 feet.

That’s so true .. many over the age of about 50 are still unsure about metric measurements

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 19-05-2020, 10:23 AM #105

Default Coronavirus Outbreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
I don't disagree, just finding it hard to swallow the hypocrisy of head teachers who have rotated their staff daily for the past 8 weeks to look after key worker children so rather than limiting contact with adults, they have opened up a whole pool of adults and children who can get infected but don't appear to have? apart from the odd case here and there

Yeah and just the odd 65 deaths here and there during a five week period in the eight weeks you refer to ..

It is rather odd that nobody seems to care about those losses ... and it rarely makes the mainstream news ..

:::
There were 65 deaths attributed to the Covid -19 virus in education between 9th March and 20th April including 26 teachers , 10 teaching assistants , 2 secretaries and various other educational staff.

Last edited by Zizu; 19-05-2020 at 10:25 AM.
Old 19-05-2020, 10:25 AM #106

[Coronavirus: Isle of Wight contact-tracing app
trial - a mixed verdict so far]

[It is 10 days since all Isle of Wight residents were
invited to test the NHS app at the heart
of the government's test,
track and trace strategy. So how's it going?

Mixed would probably be a fair verdict.

The big concern was how many people
would download it. Epidemiologists suggest that
for the UK as a whole, about 60% of the
population needs to install and use the software
for it to live up to its full potential.]

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52709568
Old 19-05-2020, 10:40 AM #107
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizu View Post
Yeah and just the odd 65 deaths here and there during a five week period in the eight weeks you refer to ..

It is rather odd that nobody seems to care about those losses ... and it rarely makes the mainstream news ..

:::
There were 65 deaths attributed to the Covid -19 virus in education between 9th March and 20th April including 26 teachers , 10 teaching assistants , 2 secretaries and various other educational staff.

The weeks I am referring to are from 23rd March - todate ...there were no admin staff, school inspectors or further education staff working since lockdown, so 37 deaths of staff who may have had underlying conditions and would have been going about their business like the rest of us up to 23rd March...and would not be covering rotas as they are not being asked to if they have a health condition

You are fixated on 27 people who died out of a workforce of 500,000 ...

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'

Last edited by Cherie; 19-05-2020 at 10:55 AM.
Old 19-05-2020, 10:41 AM #108
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2020/0...-until-june-1/

Netherlands: ministers ''cafe terraces will remain closed until 1st of June''

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.
Old 19-05-2020, 10:54 AM #109

Aw, have just heard the husband of one of my worl colleagues has just been admitted into intensive care woth Covid19. He has Huntingtons disease and so is very vulnerable anyway.
Old 19-05-2020, 11:16 AM #110
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

There are so many sad stories Annie

I think it's easy to fall into a mindset that we are over the worst, but we aren't. We need to social distance until/if a vaccine comes through
Old 19-05-2020, 11:19 AM #111
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

the pollen what causes hayfever right now, that slows down covid-19 apparently this was on the news here today

that is why many think the second wave might hit us after summer when the last of the pollen (grass pollen) are gone by august/september

Old 19-05-2020, 11:20 AM #112
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieK View Post
Aw, have just heard the husband of one of my worl colleagues has just been admitted into intensive care woth Covid19. He has Huntingtons disease and so is very vulnerable anyway.
Aw sorry Annie, I hope he pulls through

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Old 19-05-2020, 11:46 AM #113

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Quote:
Aw Annie,hope he pulls through, we must be quite lucky where we live I don't know anyone who has it or has had it although I am thinking my eldest daughter may have had this in February as she was so ill with what we thought was flu,but it really knocked her about,but so far here very few cases I know of, I think I would feel more anxious in a city tbh.

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Old 19-05-2020, 11:58 AM #114

Quote:
The weeks I am referring to are from 23rd March - todate ...there were no admin staff, school inspectors or further education staff working since lockdown, so 37 deaths of staff who may have had underlying conditions and would have been going about their business like the rest of us up to 23rd March...and would not be covering rotas as they are not being asked to if they have a health condition

You are fixated on 27 people who died out of a workforce of 500,000 ...

Is that you Matt ??

Old 19-05-2020, 12:01 PM #115

Mmmm

I'm not sure if the BBC's example of a vulnerable family who struggle to work remotely will have much sympathy. A family with 6 kids who can't afford a a tablet or laptop and then down the road another family with 5 kids who also can't afford a tablet /laptop.

I’m wondering... "if you have no money why would you have 6 kids?"

I think lots of people were asking the same question. :smiley:

Old 19-05-2020, 12:10 PM #116
-

-

Quote:
Mmmm

I'm not sure if the BBC's example of a vulnerable family who struggle to work remotely will have much sympathy. A family with 6 kids who can't afford a a tablet or laptop and then down the road another family with 5 kids who also can't afford a tablet /laptop.

I’m wondering... "if you have no money why would you have 6 kids?"

I think lots of people were asking the same question. :smiley:

To be fair I don't think it's just about money, homeschooling multiple kids must be an actual hellscape.

We have a somewhat ridiculous amount of tech. I have a gaming PC, we have 2 windows laptops and a Macbook, kids both have tablets etc. but we've still run into hurdles. Google classroom basically works MUCH better on a decent desktop PC than it does on a laptop and it's just generally easier to work with that space, but it's also hard for me to work from home on laptop, so me and my daughter were bickering over PC use for weeks (yes I bicker with a 10 year old). So much so that last week I caved and bought a 2nd hand graphics card and cobbled together a second desktop for her... So she now has a full "school station" at the dining table.

It's still hard going some days.

That's ONE KID! My other daughter only has simple things to do on her tablet and her "attendance" isn't mandatory so easier there.

But trying to orchestrate home schooling for 3 or 4 kids? I can't even imagine. I can only assume it's near-impossible and some kids are simply falling way behind.

A colleague of mine (we're all working from home) has just taken 6 weeks long term sick off with stress because she's not coping with homeschooling 4 kids + work from home.

It really is a mess.
Old 19-05-2020, 12:11 PM #117

Sky News reporting on the Swedish care home scandal !!

A whistleblower ( nurse) was happy to reveal that dreadfully poorly care home patients ( many as young as 65 ) were NOT sent to hospital just dealt with in-home ... looks like the government are trying to shift the blame for those decisions onto the care homes mmmmmmm..

Also in Sweden there is no indication that the rate of new infections coming down ..

Oh and why is it that Sweden, as one of the few countries only publishes the number of patients in ICU but not general hospital admissions related to Covid?

I wonder....

Old 19-05-2020, 12:13 PM #118

Quote:
To be fair I don't think it's just about money, homeschooling multiple kids must be an actual hellscape.

We have a somewhat ridiculous amount of tech. I have a gaming PC, we have 2 windows laptops and a Macbook, kids both have tablets etc. but we've still run into hurdles. Google classroom basically works MUCH better on a decent desktop PC than it does on a laptop and it's just generally easier to work with that space, but it's also hard for me to work from home on laptop, so me and my daughter were bickering over PC use for weeks (yes I bicker with a 10 year old). So much so that last week I caved and bought a 2nd hand graphics card and cobbled together a second desktop for her... So she now has a full "school station" at the dining table.

It's still hard going some days.

That's ONE KID! My other daughter only has simple things to do on her tablet and her "attendance" isn't mandatory so easier there.

But trying to orchestrate home schooling for 3 or 4 kids? I can't even imagine. I can only assume it's near-impossible and some kids are simply falling way behind.

A colleague of mine (we're all working from home) has just taken 6 weeks long term sick off with stress because she's not coping with homeschooling 4 kids + work from home.

It really is a mess.

The two families illustrated in the interview claimed there was only one mobile between each family .. and when the dad went out to work he took the phone with him .. mmmmm

Old 19-05-2020, 12:21 PM #119
-

-

Quote:
The two families illustrated in the interview claimed there was only one mobile between each family .. and when the dad went out to work he took the phone with him .. mmmmm

That sounds like shock-news rubbish though, like when The Sun did a story about a woman who stockpiled loads of food "only to have to throw it away a month later" but showed a picture of things like crisps and biscuits with a use by of 2022 and beyond, and a jar of bloody PICKLES that will be good for several years.

Nonsense. Turn off the tabloid news channels and bin the papers, would be my advice.

To be fair though, the work they get does take up (almost) a full school day. I'd say about 3 of 4 hours worth of work, so if you factor in a break for lunch etc... Even if a family with 5 kids has 3 computers it wouldn't be enough. Taking turns wouldn't work. A family of 7 with both parents working from home and 5 school age kids would need to be running 7 computers . And that's not even factoring in kids needing help/guidance with their work which, again, is bad enough with two kids. It's just not really feasible long term for large families. I dunno what the answer is.
Old 19-05-2020, 12:25 PM #120
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

NL update

21 new dead (death total now at 5,715

34 new hospitalisations

and our press conference today by PM Rutte and minister of health Hugo De Jonge is at 19:00 CET, mostly to announce the easing down measures planned for 1st of June to go through

and what current status of our country is now

Last edited by Nicky91; 19-05-2020 at 12:26 PM.
Old 19-05-2020, 12:35 PM #121
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
there are going to have been 100's of mistakes made by any front line worker/government representative/agency ... we are human. This is something none of us has had to deal with before. It's easy for us to sit in our armchairs and criticize, it's much more difficult when having to make decisions in the moment.
Sage are not a government agency... they are the leading experts in the associated field! To have the information that Covid 19 could explode exponentially in hospitals classified is a sign not only that they knew about it, but that they actively kept it from the public. Not because they didn't know or think it was important, but because it was.

But instead of inquiry and explanations we get the goto response to any criticism, blame the NHS!
Old 19-05-2020, 12:38 PM #122

SkyNewsHD reports Care homes in the North East
are going Collapse in 5 days time
due to lacking of funding.

North Tyneside Council.

This should be on Tomorrows PMQ
Johnson PM
one public visit

Last edited by arista; 19-05-2020 at 12:39 PM.
Old 19-05-2020, 12:45 PM #123
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
I think if mistakes have been made, they will need to be investigated and any wrong doing should be highlighted and the people responsible should be held accountable BUT I don't think now is the time to do that. If we run around blaming x,y and z for errors, more errors will be made. Let's get through it and then dissect it, if only to be more prepared for any future spikes of the disease.
After the fact it will be the old ' ah well that was ages ago, let the past go' , while it is still fresh in the minds of everyone affected and the concern still showing in those that haven't lost anyone there needs to be scrutiny now.
It shouldn't lead to more errors, not sure why it would. It won't be the same people reacting to new challenges who focus on the old.
Old 19-05-2020, 12:49 PM #124
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
So what would your solution be to the staffing issue, ask for volunteers to sacrifice themselves for the duration?
Old 19-05-2020, 12:54 PM #125
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
So what would your solution be to the staffing issue, ask for volunteers to sacrifice themselves for the duration?
My solution would be rather simpler than that, rather than trying to be fair to staff by bringing everyone in for one day every two weeks or so, put the children's safety first and have the same staff in for at least a week at a time so the children are not mixing with a different set of staff members every day...simples

I refer you to this post from another thread which you might have missed

I have friends who work in the local special needs school, 4 kids in, 2 per class, every day they have 3 different support staff looking after them as they are on two weekly rotas so over a two week period the kids come into contact with 30 different people and the staff are not even put in with the same two children when they go back in after two weeks, plus one of my friends works in Tesco part time, but the management say that is not an issue So far no Covid oh and no teachers it's just the support staff in, so that is how 'hero's' kids are treated, now it's all about safety?

Teachers possibly furloughed as they are more expensive and it is an Academy?

Last edited by Cherie; 19-05-2020 at 12:57 PM.
Closed Thread

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
5pm, coronavirus, downing, minister, outbreak, prime, st, statement, today