Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 11-09-2020, 03:25 PM #101

Favourites:
CBB2024: Marisha Wallace

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob! View Post
Genuinely absolutely disgusted at those numbers.
It's a minuscule percentage of the people actually watching, i know it's not really point, but it's important to remember that that small number doesn't represent the general feeling of the GBP.
Old 11-09-2020, 03:26 PM #102
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Hmm. I don't disagree with that to be honest; I don't think anyone "has to" watch anything the don't like the content of but unless it's actually horrendously inappropriate *cough*Cuties*cough* then the answer is to stop watching the show you don't like... not to report it to Ofcom. It is pathetic. If enough BGT fans start disliking the content, then it'll tank like the other Cowell shows, it doesn't need external regulation.

..........the unironic use of the "Karen" slur, though. You can do better than that, surely. Come on. We've entered 2020(b) now, we don't need sad misogynistic 2020(a) memes tagging along with us. It's been a long year, we're having a half-time.
Karen goes beyond gender tbh, anyone can be a Karen. I've encountered far more men in my life that are pure Karens then I have women.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 03:26 PM #103
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
..the Netflix movie, ‘Cuties’ has no place in this thread, none whatsoever...
It's a thread about Ofcom complaints... although I suppose you're right as Netflix isn't covered by Ofcom. I was using it as a counter-example of something that is outright inappropriate and thus valid to complain about, as opposed to this which is not a valid target for "official complaints".
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 03:27 PM #104
You know my methods

You know my methods

This scandal could put the Christmas BGT in doubt
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 03:30 PM #105
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Karen goes beyond gender tbh, anyone can be a Karen. I've encountered far more men in my life that are pure Karens then I have women.
As have I and I agree in sentiment, but at this point the term is used too frequently by misogynistic people to make misogynistic statements aimed at women for it to get "a pass". Not really trying to start a debate on it, I just think it's a term that could do with being left behind.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 03:32 PM #106
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
It's a minuscule percentage of the people actually watching, i know it's not really point, but it's important to remember that that small number doesn't represent the general feeling of the GBP.
It represents the people so enraged that they want to make their voices heard but I think a lot of people who aren't so angered to action would agree with the complaints. I know of a lot of people who find BLM tiresome and don't care about it which is a very privileged position to take.
Old 11-09-2020, 03:37 PM #107
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
It represents the people so enraged that they want to make their voices heard but I think a lot of people who aren't so angered to action would agree with the complaints. I know of a lot of people who find BLM tiresome and don't care about it which is a very privileged position to take.
There's nothing privileged about disliking riots and destruction. If BLM's protests looked more like ones by Extinction Rebellion, people would have a lot more sympathy for them.

Escalating protests into riots is basically pissing on the graves of the dead they were protesting for.

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 03:42 PM #108
You know my methods

You know my methods

as is promoting closing all UK prisons (with no plan what to next) defunding our police and getting rid of the NHS and all business in the UK

People are complaining about this terrifying secret organisation and its advert by a misguided dance troup looking for likes
Old 11-09-2020, 03:46 PM #109
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
There's nothing privileged about disliking riots and destruction. If BLM's protests looked more like ones by Extinction Rebellion, people would have a lot more sympathy for them.

Escalating protests into riots is basically pissing on the graves of the dead they were protesting for.
Look to the NFL example I mentioned earlier, racists will oppose any and all forms of protests as long as they are made to witness it. They want black people to be neither seen nor heard.

If you honestly think people oppose the protests because of the destruction wrought by Right Wing infiltrators then you're not paying attention. They'll find a reason to oppose any kind of action that could lead to the problems being sorted.
Old 11-09-2020, 03:47 PM #110

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Well you can think that, doesn't mean it's true. Im just saying that over 99% of people didn't complain thus not representing the general GBP. Im just trying to look at the bigger picture.
Old 11-09-2020, 03:53 PM #111
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Look to the NFL example I mentioned earlier, racists will oppose any and all forms of protests as long as they are made to witness it. They want black people to be neither seen nor heard.

If you honestly think people oppose the protests because of the destruction wrought by Right Wing infiltrators then you're not paying attention. They'll find a reason to oppose any kind of action that could lead to the problems being sorted.
Firstly there's no proof that all the riots were triggered by the right wing.

Second, any form of protest which associates itself with the BLM movement taints itself by their more extreme actions,

Old 11-09-2020, 03:53 PM #112
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
Well you can think that, doesn't mean it's true. Im just saying that over 99% of people didn't complain thus not representing the general GBP. Im just trying to look at the bigger picture.
But just because people didn't lodge an official complaint doesn't mean that they disagree or agree with the complaints. You can't make a judgement either way.

I can only say from personal experience that I think a lot of people would have agreed with complaints but they probably wouldn't have officially complained beyond posting about it on Facebook.
Old 11-09-2020, 03:56 PM #113
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Firstly there's no proof that all the riots were triggered by the right wing.

Second, any form of protest which associates itself with the BLM movement taints itself by their more extreme actions,
Cast your mind back to a while ago in that thread when I literally provided you with about 5 or 6 articles in which the police of entirely separate states and jurisdictions all announced that riots in their respective areas were started by Right Wingers and white supremacists. You saw that post and you responded to it so all this post is is wilful ignorance for the sake of presenting BLM in a way that benefits your own agenda.
Old 11-09-2020, 03:58 PM #114
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Cast your mind back to a while ago in that thread when I literally provided you with about 5 or 6 articles in which the police of entirely separate states and jurisdictions all announced that riots in their respective areas were started by Right Wingers and white supremacists. You saw that post and you responded to it so all this post is is wilful ignorance for the sake of presenting BLM in a way that benefits your own agenda.
That doesn't mean every single riot was sparked by them.

Do you still have the links? I can't remember what thread they were in.

Old 11-09-2020, 04:00 PM #115
Banned

Banned

Quote:
That doesn't mean every single riot was sparked by them.

Do you still have the links? I can't remember what thread they were in.
But it's enough to see a pattern, and no, you'll have to do your own research. I'm not bending over backwards again to have you just dismiss stuff you don't want to acknowledge.
Old 11-09-2020, 04:25 PM #116

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
But just because people didn't lodge an official complaint doesn't mean that they disagree or agree with the complaints. You can't make a judgement either way.

I can only say from personal experience that I think a lot of people would have agreed with complaints but they probably wouldn't have officially complained beyond posting about it on Facebook.
I guess it depends where you live/the people you know (the royal you). Where i live and the people i know, it's not been an issue. For example, i asked my mum if she watched, she said 'yes', i said 'have you heard about some people complaining', she said 'no, why did they complain' - which imo was the correct response.

I feel the same way, i don't see why anyone would complain, everyone should be allowed to express themselves (which i guess on the other side of the 'argument' you could say 'well people should also be allowed to voice their concerns', but that's a can of worms i do not wish to open).

Last edited by Swan; 11-09-2020 at 05:04 PM.
Swan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 04:35 PM #117
You know my methods

You know my methods

Cool

...With Ofcom still deciding whether to investigate the complaints, the furore looks set to rage on. As it does, it will be up to ITV to consider whether “BGT Does BLM” was a risk worth taking. It isn’t unthinkable that the broadcaster will conclude the opposite – that the performance has ultimately done more harm than good.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/0/itv...shed-britains/
Old 11-09-2020, 04:43 PM #118

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
Love Island 5: Amber

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
Love Island 5: Amber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post

..........the unironic use of the "Karen" slur, though. You can do better than that, surely. Come on. We've entered 2020(b) now, we don't need sad misogynistic 2020(a) memes tagging along with us. It's been a long year, we're having a half-time.
I don’t think it’s fair to rebrand Karen as a slur.. the way I understand the phase is it’s used to call out and ascribe a certain type of entitled ‘I wish to speak to the manager’ mindset. The Karen subreddit is devoted to more extreme versions of this that mostly extend to anti vaxxers, anti maskers, racists, people who are extremely abusive to customer service and staff, and most of the most upvoted posts are men exhibiting this sort of behaviour..

For example I think this is a great example of ‘Karens’ going out of their way to complain about people speaking out against racism.

Last edited by Elliot; 11-09-2020 at 04:44 PM.
Elliot is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 04:51 PM #119
You know my methods

You know my methods

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot View Post
I don’t think it’s fair to rebrand Karen as a slur.. the way I understand the phase is it’s used to call out and ascribe a certain type of entitled ‘I wish to speak to the manager’ mindset. The Karen subreddit is devoted to more extreme versions of this that mostly extend to anti vaxxers, anti maskers, racists, people who are extremely abusive to customer service and staff, and most of the most upvoted posts are men exhibiting this sort of behaviour..

For example I think this is a great example of ‘Karens’ going out of their way to complain about people speaking out against racism.
The individual complaints and what they are as they have not been published - i dont think they ever are

All we know is that a number of people have contacted offcom

id imagine they cover a wide range of subjects about the ill-judged performance
Old 11-09-2020, 05:02 PM #120
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
...With Ofcom still deciding whether to investigate the complaints, the furore looks set to rage on. As it does, it will be up to ITV to consider whether “BGT Does BLM” was a risk worth taking. It isn’t unthinkable that the broadcaster will conclude the opposite – that the performance has ultimately done more harm than good.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/0/itv...shed-britains/
itv will only care if their viewer figures go down as a result or advertisers jump ship and I would think both are highly unlikely, Ofcom won't do anything ... that's a given

Last edited by bitontheslide; 11-09-2020 at 05:04 PM.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 05:12 PM #121
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
itv will only care if their viewer figures go down as a result or advertisers jump ship and I would think both are highly unlikely, Ofcom won't do anything ... that's a given
Agreed but i cant see this dance act getting many bookings going forward
Old 11-09-2020, 06:52 PM #122
Banned

Banned

A dance performance on BGT can do no 'harm'. If a bunch of snowflakey racists get upset over black people dancing for equality then they should probably find a way to travel back in time a few decades and move to Southern America, I'm sure they'd love living under Jim Crow rules.
Old 11-09-2020, 11:48 PM #123

[Alesha Dixon tells critics of Diversity's divisive
Black Lives Matter routine to 'kiss my black ass']

[The hit ITV show's Ofcom complaints have soared
again to 15,500 following the dance troupe's
divisive routine

On Monday the figure stood at 1,121 with
grievances rising throughout the week]

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...s-critics.html
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 05:28 AM #124
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

It's a shame there's not a similar body that you can contact to show support for shows that have been referred to ofcom for balance.
Old 12-09-2020, 06:38 AM #125
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
Viewing tonight will be massive as everyone will tune in to see how the issue is addressed, I can’t imagine it will be ignored

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
bgt, blm, complains, ofcom, performance, receives, thousands