Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 17-02-2022, 04:31 PM #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Suggesting that kids will be unprepared for the world if they aren't physically assaulted by their teachers as children.
Since when is telling someone to eat a flipping cheese sandwich ‘physical assault’???
glib is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 04:38 PM #52

Favourites (more):
BB17: Andy
BB14: Dan

Favourites (more):
BB17: Andy
BB14: Dan

Quote:
Suggesting that kids will be unprepared for the world if they aren't physically assaulted by their teachers as children.
I love how, when it comes to me, your mind goes all twisted to find a negative angle. Should I be flattered?
jet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 04:40 PM #53
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
The idea that it's "bratty" to not eat something that you find repulsive is so outdated I don't even know where to start.

Like I said... If the kid seems unwell or under-nourished then it's time to call in parents and figure out what's going on, take it further if needs be.

If she's NOT under-nourished then frankly it's no one else's ****ing business what she does or doesn't eat, just as with every other human being on the planet.

I'd also add here that even if she does have a problem (which from this story doesn't sound like the case at all) - the absolute worst thing you can do when someone has an eating disorder is FORCE them to eat. Actually no there is something worse. Forcing them to eat food that's been in a bin. How it's not obvious that this risks making an eating disorder 10x worse is beyond me. Engage your higher brain functions folks, step away from that indoctrinated "clear your plate!!" authoritarianism.
Sorry but it is bratty, she could have just left it on her plate and said she wasnt hungry, chucking in the bin while complaining it was tasteless although it appears she didnt taste it, as it went into the bin wrapped is something you would call bratty in an adult so no different in a child

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 04:41 PM #54
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
That wasn't what was inferred at all

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 04:44 PM #55

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by glib View Post
So if you made your wife a meal, and she threw it in the bin, calling it tasteless, you’d still think she was the best wife in the world. You’re a sponge.
The question should be..

Would you make your wife take it out the bin and make her eat it.
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 04:47 PM #56
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
The question should be..

If you are serious about climate change i think you must
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 04:49 PM #57

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
If you are serious about climate change i think you must
I'm more concerned in keeping my bollox where they should be thank you very much
Old 17-02-2022, 04:51 PM #58
-

-

Quote:
Since when is telling someone to eat a flipping cheese sandwich ‘physical assault’???
He was talking about kids getting caned. Reading comprehension C-
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 04:52 PM #59

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
He was talking about kids getting caned. Reading comprehension C-

Old 17-02-2022, 04:53 PM #60
Adios

Adios

Quote:
The question should be..

“Stay away from people who act like a victim in a problem they created”
Glenn. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 04:56 PM #61
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Let's not pander to picky eaters. Eight years old, you eat what you're given, within reason.
It's only pandering if you cave and provide something else. You eat what you're given *or nothing*, fine, but not "you eat it no matter what".

Forcing kids to eat food they don't like literally causes eating disorders. There's abundant evidence of this. Not that anyone cares I imagine, I know everyone's "opinion" trumps evidence these days.
Old 17-02-2022, 04:57 PM #62

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

I do remember sobbing into my dinner as a kid as I was forced to eat my veg.

Last edited by parmnion; 17-02-2022 at 04:57 PM.
Old 17-02-2022, 05:10 PM #63
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
It's only pandering if you cave and provide something else. You eat what you're given *or nothing*, fine, but not "you eat it no matter what".

Forcing kids to eat food they don't like literally causes eating disorders. There's abundant evidence of this. Not that anyone cares I imagine, I know everyone's "opinion" trumps evidence these days.
My dad would say to me (when i baulked at eating say a tomato) "I was the same when I was wee but your palate changes as you get older and one day you will love tomatoes" and he was right. His message was ok, try it, if you dont like it today you will soon. He always ended it by saying - you need to eat vegetables though, that isnt an option. I love all veg now save the cucumber
Old 17-02-2022, 05:12 PM #64
You know my methods

You know my methods

mind you he told me id develop a taste for lager and whisky as i got older if i just percivered

thanks Dad

Old 17-02-2022, 05:58 PM #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
My dad would say to me (when i baulked at eating say a tomato) "I was the same when I was wee but your palate changes as you get older and one day you will love tomatoes" and he was right. His message was ok, try it, if you dont like it today you will soon. He always ended it by saying - you need to eat vegetables though, that isnt an option. I love all veg now save the cucumber
Well said Leather, Cianna-Rae could do with reading this
Old 17-02-2022, 06:01 PM #66
Adios

Adios

So force food down your kids necks even if they don’t like it, because one day they’ll love it!

Love that logic

“Stay away from people who act like a victim in a problem they created”
Glenn. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 06:02 PM #67

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Well said Leather, Cianna-Rae could do with reading this
He never said it.
Old 17-02-2022, 06:17 PM #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn. View Post
So force food down your kids necks even if they don’t like it, because one day they’ll love it!

Love that logic
Or allow kids to go hungry, then go through life being picky, whilst kids in countries Harry has visited starve to death, longing for a cheese sandwich, with butter or not

First world problem.
Old 17-02-2022, 06:51 PM #69
-

-

Quote:
Or allow kids to go hungry, then go through life being picky, whilst kids in countries Harry has visited starve to death, longing for a cheese sandwich, with butter or not

First world problem.
The opposite happens, kids who are forced to eat foods they properly dislike (I'm not talking just "don't fancy it that day" - I mean things they genuinely can't stomach) end up being much "easier on themselves" as adults when they can eat what they want. Kids who are ENCOURAGED - not forced - to be adventurous and try new things will continue to be adventurous and have a varied diet. Missing the occasional school lunch because there was nothing palatable on the menu will do far less damage than being forced to eat a dried out cheese sandwich from the bin.

Again this is all well researched and evidenced ... we actually KNOW these things without spaffing "in muh opinyonn" all over the place. You could look it up. You won't, but you could.

For some real world examples; I was never forced to eat veg as a kid, neither have my kids been. I eat loads of veg, so does my daughter (12). My wife on the other hand really struggles with veg, because her parents would literally heat up the veg from dinner the day before if she hadn't eaten it, and make her eat it for lunch the next day.

For a more extreme example - my dad (who is in his mid 60's, and grew up poor in Glasgow) similarly had the "clear your plate!" mantra forced on him through his childhood, and in adulthood NEVER ate veg. And I mean... I literally never remember him having veg with his dinner. This culminated last year in him being investigated for heart problems, had all sorts of scans and tests, they couldn't figure out what the hell was wrong with him. It turned out to be that he was so deficient in various vitamins/minerals that it was severely affecting his health. He started eating more fruit and veg and that was it. His well-meaning, penny-pinching parents set him up with an aversion to eating his veg that almost ended up killing him .

I know that's en extreme example, and anecdotal, but again it's well researched. Kids who are encouraged to TRY things and given the choice are more likely to grow up with varied diets than kids who grow up with a "you must" mandate on their plates ... who often rebel and stop eating those things as soon as they're in their own kitchen. It's not even hard to understand why. Common sense. As with all things parenting. The same reason kids who are given no freedom in their teens by parents worried about their safety actually end up at far MORE risk in early adulthood when they're thrown into the real world with no life experience.
Old 17-02-2022, 06:53 PM #70

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
In the not so distant past, kids were sent to the head to have their hands painfully caned for sucking a sweetie in class. They managed not to be 'traumatised'. I shudder to think how today’s kids are going to manage as adults if they are taught that they should be protected from every negative thing that happens to them and a drama made out of it.
Less bitter and resentful I'd imagine
Jordan. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 07:06 PM #71

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
The opposite happens, kids who are forced to eat foods they properly dislike (I'm not talking just "don't fancy it that day" - I mean things they genuinely can't stomach) end up being much "easier on themselves" as adults when they can eat what they want. Kids who are ENCOURAGED - not forced - to be adventurous and try new things will continue to be adventurous and have a varied diet. Missing the occasional school lunch because there was nothing palatable on the menu will do far less damage than being forced to eat a dried out cheese sandwich from the bin.

Again this is all well researched and evidenced ... we actually KNOW these things without spaffing "in muh opinyonn" all over the place. You could look it up. You won't, but you could.

For some real world examples; I was never forced to eat veg as a kid, neither have my kids been. I eat loads of veg, so does my daughter (12). My wife on the other hand really struggles with veg, because her parents would literally heat up the veg from dinner the day before if she hadn't eaten it, and make her eat it for lunch the next day.

For a more extreme example - my dad (who is in his mid 60's, and grew up poor in Glasgow) similarly had the "clear your plate!" mantra forced on him through his childhood, and in adulthood NEVER ate veg. And I mean... I literally never remember him having veg with his dinner. This culminated last year in him being investigated for heart problems, had all sorts of scans and tests, they couldn't figure out what the hell was wrong with him. It turned out to be that he was so deficient in various vitamins/minerals that it was severely affecting his health. He started eating more fruit and veg and that was it. His well-meaning, penny-pinching parents set him up with an aversion to eating his veg that almost ended up killing him .

I know that's en extreme example, and anecdotal, but again it's well researched. Kids who are encouraged to TRY things and given the choice are more likely to grow up with varied diets than kids who grow up with a "you must" mandate on their plates ... who often rebel and stop eating those things as soon as they're in their own kitchen. It's not even hard to understand why. Common sense. As with all things parenting. The same reason kids who are given no freedom in their teens by parents worried about their safety actually end up at far MORE risk in early adulthood when they're thrown into the real world with no life experience.

I love veg these days, almost as much as I love this post.
Old 17-02-2022, 07:09 PM #72

Quote:

So you tell me it’s ‘all well researched’, then evidence this by telling me your wife doesn’t like eating veg.

I was forced as a child to eat everything on my plate. Now, I always clear my plate, whether I like it or not. If I don’t, which is extremely rare, I offer any leftovers to whoever I’m sat with.

I do NOT throw it in the bin and shout that it’s ‘tasteless’. There’s a difference between ‘not liking cheese sandwiches’ and being plain rude.
Old 17-02-2022, 07:34 PM #73

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
So you tell me it’s ‘all well researched’, then evidence this by telling me your wife doesn’t like eating veg.

I was forced as a child to eat everything on my plate. Now, I always clear my plate, whether I like it or not. If I don’t, which is extremely rare, I offer any leftovers to whoever I’m sat with.

I do NOT throw it in the bin and shout that it’s ‘tasteless’. There’s a difference between ‘not liking cheese sandwiches’ and being plain rude.

This girl was also forced to eat food as a child, unfortunately she was embarrassed in front of her peers..

Like dreaming about being on stage naked in a way..

You were lucky, like I was. That your abuse happened at home.

I'm surprised at your vitriol towards this child tbh, especially after your claim to have been forced to eat food as a kid.

Last edited by parmnion; 17-02-2022 at 07:35 PM.
Old 17-02-2022, 08:06 PM #74
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
That wasn't what was inferred at all
Maybe not for you, but inferences are in the eye of the beholder. However, it might not have been what was implied

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 08:10 PM #75

Quote:
This girl was also forced to eat food as a child, unfortunately she was embarrassed in front of her peers..

Like dreaming about being on stage naked in a way..

You were lucky, like I was. That your abuse happened at home.

I'm surprised at your vitriol towards this child tbh, especially after your claim to have been forced to eat food as a kid.
If you read the article provided, her fellow friends also threw sandwiches in the bin and were forced to eat them. On thé same occasion. It is not like ‘being on stage naked’.

It is not ‘abuse’ either. I’m sure you put your kid’s dummy in a few times after they spat it out. Ordered your kid to do something they don’t want to do. Should I report you to social services for child abuse then,?

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
bin, contaminated’, dinnerlady, eat, food, kid, made, wasn’t, ‘it