Notices

General Chat General discussion. Want to chat about anything not covered in another forum - This is the place!

View Poll Results: ?
I can’t deal - I value my personal space way too much when I’m cooking 2 50.00%
I can’t deal - I value my personal space way too much when I’m cooking
2 50.00%
You’ve got to be there to cook with me, not talk to me (I hate that) 1 25.00%
You’ve got to be there to cook with me, not talk to me (I hate that)
1 25.00%
I don’t mind either way 0 0%
I don’t mind either way
0 0%
More’s a crowd 0 0%
More’s a crowd
0 0%
Depends on the company/my mood/how much sleep I’ve had 1 25.00%
Depends on the company/my mood/how much sleep I’ve had
1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30-07-2022, 09:23 AM #26
You know my methods

You know my methods

You will always find me in the kitchen at parties
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-07-2022, 09:26 AM #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
I don't like people hovering and unless they are helping they can get out, I normally just like to get on and do stuff myself if I am cooking, same if someone else is cooking I just stay out
If you had to share a kitchen with people you weren’t related to (or at the least close buddies with), how long do you feel would be reasonable for them to stay camped out in the kitchen at a time (weekends aside)?

Don’t let your regret be stronger than your gratitude. And don’t hang on to negativity. That’s all.
Redway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-07-2022, 10:13 AM #28
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redway View Post
If you had to share a kitchen with people you weren’t related to (or at the least close buddies with), how long do you feel would be reasonable for them to stay camped out in the kitchen at a time (weekends aside)?
I would only expect them to be in the kitchen when cooking and if there is no where else to eat when eating, otherwise they should take themselves off to their rooms, unless the kitchen is the only communal area but then again its not fair to expect someone to cook in a crowded space when you just want to get on and not feel you are being watched or hurried

is there another space they can congregate in other than their rooms?

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-07-2022, 10:43 AM #29

Quote:
I would only expect them to be in the kitchen when cooking and if there is no where else to eat when eating, otherwise they should take themselves off to their rooms, unless the kitchen is the only communal area but then again its not fair to expect someone to cook in a crowded space when you just want to get on and not feel you are being watched or hurried

There wasn’t but it got to a stage where laptops and notepads from all-night study sessions (two or three of them were doing Masters degrees) were being taken there and left overnight (mostly because they’d sometimes only leave between 2 and half 5 the next morning) and there’s definitely another place to take stuff like that (aka a library). I really wouldn’t have minded it if it just happened every other Saturday or so (that’s how it was in the beginning and I was perfectly-chill with it) but after a certain point that was the daily kitchen setup and they’d hardly budge no matter what you said to them.

Don’t let your regret be stronger than your gratitude. And don’t hang on to negativity. That’s all.
Old 30-07-2022, 11:05 AM #30

Quote:

There wasn’t but it got to a stage where laptops and notepads from all-night study sessions (two or three of them were doing Masters degrees) were being taken there and left overnight (mostly because they’d sometimes only leave between 2 and half 5 the next morning) and there’s definitely another place to take stuff like that (aka a library). I really wouldn’t have minded it if it just happened every other Saturday or so (that’s how it was in the beginning and I was perfectly-chill with it) but after a certain point that was the daily kitchen setup and they’d hardly budge no matter what you said to them.

Old 30-07-2022, 11:24 AM #31
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
oh students, enough said, you need to try and find accommodation with professionals or just one other person for your peace of mind

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 30-07-2022, 11:26 AM #32

Quote:
oh students, enough said, you need to try and find accommodation with professionals or just one other person for your peace of mind
The thing is the people in question are in their late 20s/30-ish, not naive 22-year-olds. After a certain age you expect people to just know better no matter what stage of vocation/higher education they’re at.

Old 30-07-2022, 11:27 AM #33

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

When the kids were young I let them in the kitchen to help, taught them both to cook basics by the time they left home.
Now I sit watching telly in front room why hubby cooks, if he gets stuck he will come in and ask what to do.
smudgie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-07-2022, 12:13 PM #34
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
The thing is the people in question are in their late 20s/30-ish, not naive 22-year-olds. After a certain age you expect people to just know better no matter what stage of vocation/higher education they’re at.
yeah but they are eternal students probably on the 2nd masters, unfortunately highly educated doesn't always equate to consideration for others

Old 30-07-2022, 01:08 PM #35

Quote:
yeah but they are eternal students probably on the 2nd masters, unfortunately highly educated doesn't always equate to consideration for others
I suppose. I think going forward studio flats are the way if and when you don’t know or like the other people well enough to tolerate their noise and mess. They might cost and arm and a leg but I’d rather struggle to find the extra money and have peace of mind than feel suffocated every day and having to ‘politely’ tell obnoxious strangers to move and shut up.

Last edited by Redway; 06-08-2022 at 11:48 PM.
Old 01-08-2022, 05:22 PM #36

Quote:

I think any other year I lived with noisy kitchen-hogs I had a mutual enough connection with them to overlook it and just let it be without getting too frustrated and even be somewhat invested in it (even if we had other issues) but when the people you live with are really from completely different worlds to you (in as much as you might be cordial around each other) the kitchen-hogging becomes a hostage situation and the loudness becomes useless white noise so it’s just really annoying being in those situations. Especially when the people are supposed to be relatively mature in age.

Last edited by Redway; 01-08-2022 at 05:27 PM.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
cooking, deal, kitchen, people, you’re