Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 21-07-2010, 12:26 PM #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_Eye View Post
I think part of the reason the UK is more politically correct and multicultural than the rest of Europe is because our indigenous culture and history is so dull. Britain was always better known for its innovations in the natural sciences than the arts, where the French, Germans, Dutch and Italians outclass us to the point of being embarrassing.

Part of the problem is that nationalism and patriotism as we understand it today originated in the 19th century... a time when folk art and nationalist music of Wagner, Chopin and Tchaikovsky was celebrated. Obviously Germans are not so proud of their country (despite their rich heritage) because of the Third Reich, but it is easy to understand why they had so much to be proud of before all of that.

All that Britain represented in the 19th century was the chest-beating pomp of Lord Nelson, Queen Victoria and the British Empire. We even had to make up our own folk stories like the legend of King Arthur, because our medieval literary heritage was so barren. Britain suffered a similar predicament to many other anglophone countries. Its traditions lie in the valuing enterprise over creativity and pragmatism over idealism. As a result, Britain is culturally impoverished and doomed to forever suffer an inferiority complex towards its neighbours.
Maybe our indigenous culture would of come to the fore if these islands weren't invaded by the culturally superiour and artistically minded Italians, Germans and Franks????
StGeorge is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 12:31 PM #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamhxo View Post
Touche! I'm obviously not as well up on my history as ye are And I do enjoy reading you're posts. Same can not be said for some other blatantly rude and ignorant posters (one in particular) who shall remain nameless!!!
Im proud to call myself English....and even British if pushed....but that doesnt mean i agree with all our colonial past.
The fact is though, i wasnt around to influence those times.
Old 21-07-2010, 12:38 PM #103
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGeorge View Post
Im proud to call myself English....and even British if pushed....but that doesnt mean i agree with all our colonial past.
The fact is though, i wasnt around to influence those times.
Of course you weren't, it's the more extreme and dis respectful posters that annoy me, I'm actually quite interested in learning more about the histories of different countries and enjoy your posts alot, you seem very knowledgeable on the subject.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 01:07 PM #104
Nothing in excess

Nothing in excess

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus58 View Post
I've seldom read such tosh - Britain has a rich and magnificent history and has contributed greatly to the world in terms of literature, art, engineering, technology, exploration, science, medicine, invention etc etc.
Britain's achievements in engineering, technology, science and medicine are redundant for this argument as I already mentioned, Britain being traditionally empiricist, has excelled in the natural sciences (including business and economics), had you read my post properly instead of leaping for the nearest available platitude.

I am not downplaying Britain's cultural output when we speak about authors and playwrights such as Shakespeare, Marlowe, Chaucher, Milton, Blake, et al. It's just that Britain has been relatively bereft of contributions to painting, sculpture, architecture and music compared to its continental neighbours and it's not as if lack of wealth was ever an excuse. Britain has historically preferred to focus its resources on the military, empire and enterprise than on patronising the arts.

It really says something that the reputedly 'patriotic' political right, the very people who appoint themselves as Britain's cultural guardians regard British writers and intellectuals as an elitist literati and have historically been philistines and champions of censorship.

But then it is only part of a bigger picture. Our fragmented identity is deep rooted. The British Isles' medieval history consists of one occupation after another.

Quote:
We are such a fractured society that there is no national cohesion or common purpose any more, and I doubt we will ever again see the kind of unity and love of country that helped us stand alone for two years during WW2.

As a Brit, far from suffering from an inferiority complex, I am extremely proud of our heritage and contribution to the world, and grateful to the servicemen who died in order to keep this country safe from invasion and occupation.
Way to simplify/misrepresent my argument. Once again, I am not saying Britain was in short supply of scientists, engineers and military personell. Only that many of our more quaint traditions such as morris dancing, Last Night of the Proms and British food invite sneering and ridicule from other countries.
No matter that they act like senile 12-year-olds on the Today programme website - smoking illegal fags to look tough and cool. No matter that Amis coins truly abominable terms like 'the age of horrorism' and when criticised tells people to 'fuck off'. Surely we all chuckle at the strenuous ennui of his salon drawl. Didn't he once accidentally sneer his face off?
- Chris Morris - The Absurd World of Martin Amis

BB_Eye is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 01:09 PM #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamhxo View Post
Of course you weren't, it's the more extreme and dis respectful posters that annoy me, I'm actually quite interested in learning more about the histories of different countries and enjoy your posts alot, you seem very knowledgeable on the subject.
Thanks Niam. I think i've mentioned before, that it was the realisation of my own ignorance over the Falklands, that made me start to find out as much of the truth as possible before spouting off.

In your own country for example, its so easy for people from all sides to condemn each other, but i just think its a damn shame that the mistakes of partition and bigotted views have allowed the situation to go on for decades. And we call ourselves civilised. It's taken so long to just talk and even now there are still some that are trying to undermine peace..its so crazy.
I just hope your future family and beyond have better times without conflict.

I may agree with our present wars overseas to a certain degree, but i would just love to make all of our armed forces redundant due to no wars.
There are never any winners in War.
Old 21-07-2010, 02:05 PM #106

Quote:

Way to simplify/misrepresent my argument. Once again, I am not saying Britain was in short supply of scientists, engineers and military personell. Only that many of our more quaint traditions such as morris dancing, Last Night of the Proms and British food invite sneering and ridicule from other countries.
Maybe not everyone is ridiculing us as you say:
quote: In the context of classical music festivals, Jiří Bělohlávek has described The Proms as "the world's largest and most democratic musical festival"

The playing of predominantly British music on the Last Night is a celebration of Britain and ***** any Jonny Foreigner who wants to ridicule it.
Quote: This sequence traditionally begins with Edward Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance March No. 1 (Land of Hope and Glory), and continues with Sir Henry Wood's Fantasia on British Sea Songs, which culminates in Thomas Arne’s Rule, Britannia!. The concert concludes with Hubert Parry's Jerusalem (a setting of a poem by William Blake), and the British national anthem.

I repeat..if people want to take the piss out of that then *****'em.

Quote: Morris Dancing is commonly thought of as a uniquely English activity, although there are around 150 morris sides (or teams) in the United States. British expatriates form a larger part of the morris tradition in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and Hong Kong. There are isolated groups in other countries, for example those in Utrecht, Netherlands, the Arctic Morris Group of Helsinki[1] and Stockholm[2], as well as in Cyprus and Alsace, France.
To be honest....i think MD sucks.

And lets take a close look at British food....the most popular food in Britain by all accounts is an Indian.
But i would rather that or Bangers & Mash, to Sauerkraut(?) or Frogs Legs.

Last edited by StGeorge; 21-07-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 21-07-2010, 02:15 PM #107
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddballmisfitsFTW View Post
if I had the money I would leave this sh**hole the very next morning

i'll give you few reasons

1. Pathetic justice system (eg a gang of youths beat someone to death and they get 12 years in a cushy prison)

2. Too much uncontrolled immigration. So, really this isn't a country anymore anyway, it's just a region of Europe.

3. Drinking culture. Every Friday, Saturday night streets of Britain get filled with drunken yobs and slappers.

4. High on target list for Islamic terrorism.

5. Economic crisis has left the country *******ed up. Banks have stolen the public's money and the people are too thick to realise and just accept what politicians tell them.
Sorry to tell you, but this list describes most of the western world countries
Old 21-07-2010, 02:16 PM #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpertinator View Post
Modern British culture pisses me off I'll say. There are many countries more beautiful in many ways that I would prefer to live in. I mean European countries like Italy, Spain, France and Germany have remained very respectable nations over the years and still have great culture. Italy is a magnificent country.

I don't like UK and I would love to get outta' here when I'm older.
dont let the door hit you on the way out , byeeeeeeeeee
hotleggs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 02:28 PM #109
Nothing in excess

Nothing in excess

Quote:
Maybe not everyone is ridiculing us as you say:
quote: In the context of classical music festivals, Jiří Bělohlávek has described The Proms as "the world's largest and most democratic musical festival"
It's a great festival, but the Last Night seems like such a meaningless ritual.

Quote:
The playing of predominantly British music on the Last Night is a celebration of Britain and ***** any Jonny Foreigner who wants to ridicule it.
Quote: This sequence traditionally begins with Edward Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance March No. 1 (Land of Hope and Glory), and continues with Sir Henry Wood's Fantasia on British Sea Songs, which culminates in Thomas Arne’s Rule, Britannia!. The concert concludes with Hubert Parry's Jerusalem (a setting of a poem by William Blake), and the British national anthem.

I repeat..if people want to take the piss out of that then *****'em.
To each their own

Quote:
Quote: Morris Dancing is commonly thought of as a uniquely English activity, although there are around 150 morris sides (or teams) in the United States. British expatriates form a larger part of the morris tradition in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and Hong Kong. There are isolated groups in other countries, for example those in Utrecht, Netherlands, the Arctic Morris Group of Helsinki[1] and Stockholm[2], as well as in Cyprus and Alsace, France.
To be honest....i think MD sucks.
That's interesting, but it also leads me to think it's a shame we get recognised as a British peculiarity if it's an international phenomenon. It makes us seem less unique. It definitely debunks a few myths though.

Quote:
And lets take a close look at British food....the most popular food in Britain by all accounts is an Indian.
But i would rather that or Bangers & Mash, to Sauerkraut(?) or Frogs Legs.
Well the Tikka Masala originated in Britain at least. Shame I can't stand the stuff... give me a Madras any day. Sneering aside, you can't go wrong with toad in the hole.
No matter that they act like senile 12-year-olds on the Today programme website - smoking illegal fags to look tough and cool. No matter that Amis coins truly abominable terms like 'the age of horrorism' and when criticised tells people to 'fuck off'. Surely we all chuckle at the strenuous ennui of his salon drawl. Didn't he once accidentally sneer his face off?
- Chris Morris - The Absurd World of Martin Amis

BB_Eye is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 02:55 PM #110

Quote:
It's a great festival, but the Last Night seems like such a meaningless ritual.

To each their own

True....Last Night doesnt float my boat much, but i'd rather sit through that than watch some poor terrified Bulls being slowly stabbed to death.

Last edited by StGeorge; 21-07-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old 21-07-2010, 04:16 PM #111

Britain is one of the more open minded parts in the world.
brian3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 01:46 PM #112

Quote:
Ah just seen this....so you are familiar with the historical event then?

So if as you say....we bombed certain Serbian military targets due to the Serbian refusal to abide by agreements made the previous year over Kosovo and to stop repression by military force of the Kosovo people, which had already caused thousands of casualties....how the hell can you say we bombed Kosovo???? And i take it millions were not killed here?
yes, we cluster bombed it, you do know what cluster bombing is dont you. Or are you under the disinformation brigade that cluster bombs can differentiate between military and civillians.

try getting your sources from independent orgs, instead of the government mouthpiece the BBC if you want to rescue your last shred of credability.
Eye_Spy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 01:50 PM #113

Quote:
Er....i think you need to get a grip.

And the Afghan invasion was perhaps due in main to a little event that happened in NY 09.11.2001.

100% behind both current wars.
OMG ignorance at its most heinious, what has afghanistan or iraq got to do with 9/11? the bombers we are led to believe were saudis werent they? it was amazing though that 12 of the 19 named hijackers turned up alive and well according to mainstream media, LOL, wonder how they managed that?
Eye_Spy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 03:34 PM #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye_Spy View Post
yes, we cluster bombed it, you do know what cluster bombing is dont you. Or are you under the disinformation brigade that cluster bombs can differentiate between military and civillians.

try getting your sources from independent orgs, instead of the government mouthpiece the BBC if you want to rescue your last shred of credability.
Oh dear....ive just realised..you really are an arsehole.
Old 25-07-2010, 03:39 PM #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye_Spy View Post
OMG ignorance at its most heinious, what has afghanistan or iraq got to do with 9/11? the bombers we are led to believe were saudis werent they? it was amazing though that 12 of the 19 named hijackers turned up alive and well according to mainstream media, LOL, wonder how they managed that?
wow you really are an uneducated twat.

BTW, i dont need to watch tv to get my info....my job involves security of utility infrastructure, and i have been educated in these matters by people who know more about international terrorism than you or i or the BBC....i'll take their views before i listen to a fool like you.
Thats my last word on this as you have absolutely no idea what your talking about.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:22 AM #116
how i'm feeling now

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB 13: Luisa Zissman

how i'm feeling now

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB 13: Luisa Zissman

IDK about Britian but I think certain states here in America are the most prejudice places in the world.

States like West Virginia, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, etc are just full of ignorant hicks.

Last edited by iRyan; 06-09-2010 at 03:25 AM.
iRyan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
britian, country, prejudice