Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 13-11-2010, 04:17 PM #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramid* View Post
There is no need for you to be so bloody patronising.

Tunisia may be a very liberal country, however the fact remains that 98% of the 10million population of Tunisia follow the Islamic faith(Sunni) and to that end, Westerners will afford a high level of respect, for which you appear to be ridiculing somewhat in your post (as well as trying belitte another fm). You post here suggests that it would be more than acceptable to wander around Tunisian souks wearing a bikini top - when this is not the case.

I visited Tunisa about 15 years ago, and let me tell you right now, outside of the 'more Cosmopolitan areas', I can assure you, I felt as restricted there as I did when I lived in Saudi Arabia So please.... your own opinoin doesn't speak for the experience others may have had.

OK, I guess that was a little rude. But my point is, Tunisia, is a very liberal country. But to compare it to Saudi Arabia, is really not informed is it? I go to Tunisia often, maybe every year, with a few exceptions. MY brother lives there. Its restricted, in the form of sensure, and things like that, but culturally, its completely relaxed. And I am talking from experience, not just hearsay.

But again, if that was rude, I apologize. I ust know, its not a country you go into, and think, oh I better cover up!

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat!

Wildcat! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 04:21 PM #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasown View Post

Doesnt that depend on the School of Islam you follow?

Fair enough, I can see your other points!

But as for, is it a matter of school? No its not! When it comes to how we see Christians, or Jewish people, its all in the Quran. And faction of muslims, would obey by that! Christianity, and Judaism, are still ancestors, of Islam. ANd most of their teachings, are similar. The quran acknowledges that these other teachings, come from the same source. And for that, when it mentions non believers, it doesnt include Jewish and Christians.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat!

Wildcat! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 04:33 PM #103
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat! View Post
OK, I guess that was a little rude. But my point is, Tunisia, is a very liberal country. But to compare it to Saudi Arabia, is really not informed is it? I go to Tunisia often, maybe every year, with a few exceptions. MY brother lives there. Its restricted, in the form of sensure, and things like that, but culturally, its completely relaxed. And I am talking from experience, not just hearsay.

But again, if that was rude, I apologize. I ust know, its not a country you go into, and think, oh I better cover up!
First off, I didn't say you were not speaking from experience.

Secondly, I'd say I was far more informed that you. How many M.E. countries have you lived (not just visited - LIVED) to allow you to make sweeping generalisation? I am interested to know as it makes a very big difference to having an 'informed' opinion.

One minute you are giving it big licks saying Tunisia is very liberal, no need for women to cover up, and now since I pointed out that Tunisia is not quite as liberal all over - you now are saying "it's restricted, in the form of censure and things like that'. What pray tell, do you think the word 'censure' means and in what context precisely in respect to Tunisia?

It's very difficult to have a reasonable meaningful discussion with a person who changes their opinion or view every other post.

Last edited by Pyramid*; 13-11-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Pyramid* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 04:35 PM #104
Account Vacant

Account Vacant

Quote:
Fair enough, I can see your other points!

But as for, is it a matter of school? No its not! When it comes to how we see Christians, or Jewish people, its all in the Quran. And faction of muslims, would obey by that! Christianity, and Judaism, are still ancestors, of Islam. ANd most of their teachings, are similar. The quran acknowledges that these other teachings, come from the same source. And for that, when it mentions non believers, it doesnt include Jewish and Christians.
Oh right I stand corrected, and here was me thinking some Islamic schools look upon Christians and Jews as infidel.

Wouldnt it be fairer to say they believe in the same god as being worshipped by all three branches of Abraham but their's is the only true correct belief. Why do they not allow churches and synagogues in Mecca/Medina etc, well in Saudi in general? Why are christians and jews also prohibited from entering Mecca and Medina? After all if Islam views them as the same they would be allowed access to the harams wouldnt they?

Last edited by Shasown; 13-11-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Shasown is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 04:41 PM #105
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Which Tunisia is this? From a parallel universe? Tunsia, is not a prudish country, or a fundamental muslim country. You will stick out more if you did dress conservatively! Women there dress the exact same way, as people do in the UK, probably wear even less, because its not cold over there. A few wear Hijab and stuff, but they are the exceptions. MOst of them dont.
Another big misconception, there are only a few opredominantly muslim countries, where you see all women covered up from head to toe. Obviously, those are the ones people like to identify muslims with. This fable, proves it even more.
I was in hammamet, which was obviously a tourist area. I was advised by the holiday reps that if venturing OUT of hammamet to dress appropriately. So I did.

I never said it was a muslim country either...and no, the women did not dress the same way as we do, infact, I didnt see many women outside of the actual tourist area :/
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 10:00 PM #106
Nothing in excess

Nothing in excess

Muslims Against Crusades are planning to interrupt the ceremony at 11 tomorrow morning with an online protest. Still don't know what they plan to do.

4chan are trying to hack muslimsagainstcrusades.com right now and get the site shut down. They still haven't gotten there yet, but I hope it works. 12 hours to go.
No matter that they act like senile 12-year-olds on the Today programme website - smoking illegal fags to look tough and cool. No matter that Amis coins truly abominable terms like 'the age of horrorism' and when criticised tells people to 'fuck off'. Surely we all chuckle at the strenuous ennui of his salon drawl. Didn't he once accidentally sneer his face off?
- Chris Morris - The Absurd World of Martin Amis

Last edited by BB_Eye; 13-11-2010 at 10:01 PM.
BB_Eye is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 10:02 PM #107
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

someone should throw a bacon bun at them

The scars on my mind are on replay
Smithy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 10:21 PM #108
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_Eye View Post
Muslims Against Crusades are planning to interrupt the ceremony at 11 tomorrow morning with an online protest. Still don't know what they plan to do.
Dont have a clue how they intend to do that
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 10:28 PM #109
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

From their website:

"In light of this, a special and unique online campaign has been organised to coincide with Remembrance Sunday 2010. At precisely 11am (GMT), muslimsagainstcrusades.com will fill the (second) annual two minutes silence, with an unrelenting condemnation of the British Armed Forces. Simply log on to www.muslimsagainstcrusades.com at 11am (GMT) and hear what we have to say about your government and in particular, your army."

I guess it will just be a video of them up on their homepage or something :/
Old 13-11-2010, 10:35 PM #110
R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Patsy Kensit
Apprentice 2014: Roisin

R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):

Let a few idiots try ruin tomorrow. But the heroes will shine through.
Old 13-11-2010, 11:24 PM #111
Nothing in excess

Nothing in excess

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
From their website:

"In light of this, a special and unique online campaign has been organised to coincide with Remembrance Sunday 2010. At precisely 11am (GMT), muslimsagainstcrusades.com will fill the (second) annual two minutes silence, with an unrelenting condemnation of the British Armed Forces. Simply log on to www.muslimsagainstcrusades.com at 11am (GMT) and hear what we have to say about your government and in particular, your army."

I guess it will just be a video of them up on their homepage or something :/
This is the latest thread on /b/. Do NOT enter this site if you are easily offended.

http://boards.4chan.org/b/res/286961025

Sadly, the instructions for hacking MAC from previous threads are gone now. Worth keeping an eye on though.
No matter that they act like senile 12-year-olds on the Today programme website - smoking illegal fags to look tough and cool. No matter that Amis coins truly abominable terms like 'the age of horrorism' and when criticised tells people to 'fuck off'. Surely we all chuckle at the strenuous ennui of his salon drawl. Didn't he once accidentally sneer his face off?

Last edited by BB_Eye; 13-11-2010 at 11:24 PM.
Old 14-11-2010, 12:05 AM #112
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
This is the latest thread on /b/. Do NOT enter this site if you are easily offended.

http://boards.4chan.org/b/res/286961025

Sadly, the instructions for hacking MAC from previous threads are gone now. Worth keeping an eye on though.
The MAC site is down now actually so it could be working

Are those boards safe btw, my computer seems to think they're not?
Old 14-11-2010, 01:20 AM #113
Nothing in excess

Nothing in excess

Quote:
The MAC site is down now actually so it could be working

Are those boards safe btw, my computer seems to think they're not?
I've never had any problems on it. I also use Norton on my browser and it's listed as a safe site.

Old 14-11-2010, 12:00 PM #114
75% Trish

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB14: Charlie
75% Trish

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB14: Charlie

maybe they could go and live in Afganistan????

Oh yeah I forgot.. they prefer living here!! duh!!
fruit_cake is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 12:03 PM #115
Nothing in excess

Nothing in excess

So what did MAC end up doing this morning? Anyone know?

Old 14-11-2010, 12:09 PM #116
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
So what did MAC end up doing this morning? Anyone know?
I looked on their site just after the minutes silence and they had a pic of a small kid saying "British soldiers kill one Muslim child every 6 hours" then just loads of pictures of injured/dying children, a vid showing soldiers beating up someone and a load of ranting about the Army

I'm not sure if anything else was actually happening during the minutes silence. It's all still on their site now if you want a look
Old 14-11-2010, 01:00 PM #117
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

I hate the poppy-burning gob****es. How dare they try to ruin an act of remembrance? Some of my family - some who are still living - were liberated, barely alive, from a concentration camp by the British at the end of the war... a war where millions of people died fighting the tyrany of the nazi regime. I heard on the TV yesterday that there is only one year since the end of World War 2 where a British soldier has not died as a result of a conflict. So I'd just like to say...

They grow not old as we who are left grow old
Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun, and in the morning,
We Will Remember Them.

Last edited by Livia; 14-11-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 02:41 PM #118
Nothing in excess

Nothing in excess

Quote:
I looked on their site just after the minutes silence and they had a pic of a small kid saying "British soldiers kill one Muslim child every 6 hours" then just loads of pictures of injured/dying children, a vid showing soldiers beating up someone and a load of ranting about the Army

I'm not sure if anything else was actually happening during the minutes silence. It's all still on their site now if you want a look
Wow, they really set the world alight there. Rememberance Sunday is ruined for me now.

Old 14-11-2010, 03:06 PM #119

Favourites:
BB11: John James

Favourites:
BB11: John James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I hate the poppy-burning gob****es. How dare they try to ruin an act of remembrance? Some of my family - some who are still living - were liberated, barely alive, from a concentration camp by the British at the end of the war... a war where millions of people died fighting the tyrany of the nazi regime. I heard on the TV yesterday that there is only one year since the end of World War 2 where a British soldier has not died as a result of a conflict. So I'd just like to say...

They grow not old as we who are left grow old
Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun, and in the morning,
We Will Remember Them.
Ummm Hitler was a facist who wanted to control and censure political thought. He was an enemy of democracy. Those who died in WW2 died fighting against totalitarianism and political oppression.
The irony that you now want to shut up political protesters who are against the war with the memories of those who passed away in WW2 is frighting. As is the idea that you and the rest of you would like to censor and even deport people with political views that don't follow the government line... sound familiar? It would if you knew your German history.

Because the UK isn't a fascist dictatorship people are allowed protest against a whole bunch of things.... funnily enough that includes wars... lol. This was what people in WW2 fought for.
Other parties in ( German) history have had the idea you guys have of expelling those with political beliefs that don't sit well with the current government.
The irony of this thread was only "funny" at first. Then it became monumental when the above poster used the memory of those who were persecuted in WW2. Please join the ******ing dots people.
Old 14-11-2010, 03:24 PM #120
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ange7 View Post
Ummm Hitler was a facist who wanted to control and censure political thought. He was an enemy of democracy. Those who died in WW2 died fighting against totalitarianism and political oppression.
The irony that you now want to shut up political protesters who are against the war with the memories of those who passed away in WW2 is frighting. As is the idea that you and the rest of you would like to censor and even deport people with political views that don't follow the government line... sound familiar? It would if you knew your German history.

Because the UK isn't a fascist dictatorship people are allowed protest against a whole bunch of things.... funnily enough that includes wars... lol. This was what people in WW2 fought for.
Other parties in ( German) history have had the idea you guys have of expelling those with political beliefs that don't sit well with the current government.
The irony of this thread was only "funny" at first. Then it became monumental when the above poster used the memory of those who were persecuted in WW2. Please join the ******ing dots people.
Livia didnt actually say anything about shutting them up or deporting them, you could have used a lot more posts in this thread to highlight your point.

Did you even read what they were protesting about? It wasnt the war, if they wanted to protest against merely the war then I'm sure noone would have a problem with that, after all they've been doing that on Parliamentary square for 9 years until they were removed in June.

Chanting "British soldiers burn in hell", and burning poppys is not "not following the government line" or being "against the war", it is spitting on the grave of every single man and woman who has ever died in warfare, be that WWI, WWII or in Korea, the Falklands, Northern Ireland, and then Iraq and Afghanistan. That is what remembrance day is about after all. It isnt about whether a war is right or wrong, it's about respecting the fact that people sacrficied themselves and laid down there lives for us.

I'm not big into patriotism, I disagree with the concept, nor do I lambast anyone for not wearing a poppy, I only wear mine one day a year, but to express disgust at this protest is to be human, and to actually have a shred of respect and decency in your body.

I actually agree with everyone having a right to protest, providing it doesnt cross the fine line between free speech and hate speech but large parts of your post were just ridiculous, and you are obviously ignorant both of what they were "protesting" against if you think it was the war, and what remembrance sunday is about

Last edited by MTVN; 14-11-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old 14-11-2010, 04:02 PM #121

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Martin Kemp
BB13: Adam

Favourites (more):

Quote:

What a dick! and what a crass comments about a Jewish poster who has more rights than most to condemn fascism and intolerance. Since when do lawbreakers and hatefilled inciters of violence merit the same rights as the rest of us? Oh wait, your an Aussie, a land built on immigrant misfits and convicts - guess that explains it

5 Kings: 1 throne
Angus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 04:06 PM #122
banned

banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus58 View Post
What a dick! and what a crass comments about a Jewish poster who has more rights than most to condemn fascism and intolerance. Since when do lawbreakers and hatefilled inciters of violence merit the same rights as the rest of us? Oh wait, your an Aussie, a land built on immigrant misfits and convicts - guess that explains it
You are a complete ****ing idiot.
Big Sexy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 04:13 PM #123

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sexy View Post
You are a complete ****ing idiot.

I take that as a massive compliment from someone who is clearly an uneducated, illiterate, mentally challenged and ill-informed moron. I can only be offended by people on the same intellectual level as myself which you, my sad little tosser, obviously are not

5 Kings: 1 throne

Last edited by Angus; 14-11-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Angus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 05:45 PM #124
R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):

R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):

Nobody ruined today so it was all good. Anyone can protest, let's just laugh at the sad twats who burn poppies and not give them anymore attention.

Last edited by InOne; 14-11-2010 at 05:45 PM.
InOne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 07:13 PM #125
Nothing in excess

Nothing in excess

Quote:
Leaving aside the fact that Livia didn't say anything about censoring the protestors (viva blanket statements ), I don't remember you loudly celebrating freedom of speech during the Quran burnings a couple of months ago. You were too busy being so butthurt over it. You said nothing explicit about prosecuting him, but that doesn't appear to matter to you either way.

Quote:
The irony of this thread was only "funny" at first. Then it became monumental when the above poster used the memory of those who were persecuted in WW2.
What a twisted thing to say.

So nobody has a right to feel angry at the grotesque self-pity and ingratitude on display in this story and those who do have a malicious agenda to manipulate history?

Quote:
Please join the ******ing dots people.
What and ironic and condescending way to end a post so clearly out of touch with logic and reality.

Last edited by BB_Eye; 14-11-2010 at 07:15 PM.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
burn, demonstration, emergency, muslim, poppy, protesters