Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Soaps Discuss Eastenders, Coronation Street and the rest of the soaps in this sub-forum.

Old 19-11-2010, 12:51 AM #26
R.I.P. Kerry

R.I.P. Kerry

I've always had a little thought that Corrie could end up coming back to Wednesdays. (or was that just wishful thinking?)

I vaguely remember that part of Corrie's move to Thursday was due to the new 'Bill' format. Like they were trying to get the viewers to stay with ITV after Corrie on a Thursday.

I didn't realise that the channels control how many episodes
Old 19-11-2010, 12:51 AM #27
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Well it had been in that exact slot for 49 years I think ITV will move it eventually

Which reminds me, apparently the soaps themselves don't control the amount of episodes but ITV/BBC do
dont the channels control how many episodes every show airs in a season (or in a soaps case) year?

KRO!
Mystic Mock is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 12:53 AM #28
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visage View Post
I've always had a little thought that Corrie could end up coming back to Wednesdays. (or was that just wishful thinking?)

I vaguely remember that part of Corrie's move to Thursday was due to the new 'Bill' format. Like they were trying to get the viewers to stay with ITV after Corrie on a Thursday.

I didn't realise that the channels control how many episodes
Aye, I think it was due to a football contract too lol

Aye, the channels are the ones who control it, they order the certain amount of episodes, many of the Corrie crew hate the Thursday scheduling
Old 19-11-2010, 05:53 AM #29

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Martin Kemp
BB13: Adam

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Martin Kemp
BB13: Adam

I sometimes wonder whether the same scriptwriters write for Corrie, Eastenders and Emmerdale, since the same old story lines appear in all three soaps.

The argument that soaps are like real life doesn't fly, what with murders, kidnapping, fraud, explosions, serious accidents etc etc since such events are TOTALLY implausible and do NOT happen in one small area in such high percentages as they do in the soaps. If soaps were really like real life, nobody would bother watching!

5 Kings: 1 throne
Angus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 07:52 AM #30
R.I.P. Kerry

R.I.P. Kerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus58 View Post
If soaps were really like real life, nobody would bother watching!
Which is why they are filled with drama all the time.

Someone once said to Phil Redmond that the close (Brookie) was the most dangerous place to live.

He answered saying that he wanted to tell the best stories with the best scenarios and if he were to keep it real, he would have to tell the stories all across the streets of England, and nobody wants to watch a drama that has new characters in it every week and very little continuity.
Old 19-11-2010, 09:06 AM #31
Nothing in excess

Nothing in excess

Quote:
I agree, I would get rid of two Corrie episodes and have it

Monday-Wednesday-Friday

Emmerdale is definately overkill with six episodes a week, so I would axe three of those and place it with Corrie, with EE, I'd just get rid of one episode
Yeah this... my folks still watch Emmerdale religiously too. Up until recently with the whole incest and murder storyline, it was actually one of the more down-to-earth soaps. But the downside to that is that it is just too tame and, as a result, boring as sin. It's like the soap equivalent of Seven Days.
No matter that they act like senile 12-year-olds on the Today programme website - smoking illegal fags to look tough and cool. No matter that Amis coins truly abominable terms like 'the age of horrorism' and when criticised tells people to 'fuck off'. Surely we all chuckle at the strenuous ennui of his salon drawl. Didn't he once accidentally sneer his face off?
- Chris Morris - The Absurd World of Martin Amis

BB_Eye is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 01:19 PM #32

Favourites (more):
BB12: Anton
CBB7: Stephanie

Favourites (more):

I dip in and out of Corrie for about a month or so at a time then stop watching it for about 3. Its just 'there' and something to watch if theres a decent storyline coming up. Corrie has just always been on and unlike some of the other soaps, most of the characters have been in there for years so in a way its like an extension of people you know (and in a lot of cases the characters are even comparable to people you know)

I can't really connect with Emmerdale/Eastenders in the same way though, maybe its just because I'm from Manchester

Quote:
Well it had been in that exact slot for 49 years I think ITV will move it eventually

Which reminds me, apparently the soaps themselves don't control the amount of episodes but ITV/BBC do
I hate that Corrie isn't on on a Wednesday anymore (and a Sunday as well), they should move Emmerdale somewhere else and put it on at 7pm before the football. I hate watching it on a Thursday too, I always forget
Tom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 05:31 PM #33
Get it? Got it? Good!

Get it? Got it? Good!

Soaps are pure escapism for me, plus the things people have go wrong in their lives it makes your own life better by comparison!

With very long running soaps such as Coronation Street there are a lot of cast members that have been there for longer than I have been alive, so I have grown up watching them & almost feel as if I know them!

EastEnders I watch, but it can be a bit depressing & is a grittier, harsher soap with less humour & comedy than Corrie has...

Emmerdale I will watch, but not religiously. It always seems a bit much as it's on every day...

Hollyoaks I gave up on ages ago. One word sums it up... Crap. They seem to pay more attention to what its cast look like rather than if they can act...

Neighbours & Home & Away I LOVE They are cheaper & trashier, with shoddy sets & ridiculous storylines, but that's what endears them to me even more! They have small budgets & they have the same appeal that those trashy American soaps of the 80's had (& Sunset Beach)...
Old 19-11-2010, 06:38 PM #34
V.I.P

Favourites (more):
BBCanada: Talla
CBB 11: Speidi

V.I.P

Favourites (more):

Agree and Disagree.

Eastenders set is very well made, and the actors are really good.
The storylines in most soaps are predictable after a while yes, but Eastenders manages to stay new and fresh.

Now,

I 100000% agree with you on Corrie.
I do laugh at how ITV have paid these losers to come on the channel in between EVERY AD BREAK and pour their hearts out about how Corrie has changed their lives

I mean give me a break.

The funny thing is though,
Eastenders 25th Anniversary was pretty big, Corrie's celebrating their 50th and most people don't care except for a few on here and of course ITV1 who are building it up to be the return of Jesus.
Old 19-11-2010, 06:40 PM #35
V.I.P

Favourites (more):

V.I.P

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post

EastEnders I watch, but it can be a bit depressing & is a grittier, harsher soap with less humour & comedy than Corrie has...

Emmerdale I will watch, but not religiously. It always seems a bit much as it's on every day...

Hollyoaks I gave up on ages ago. One word sums it up... Crap. They seem to pay more attention to what its cast look like rather than if they can act...

See, anyone that has watched EE this year every day, knows that it's changed a great deal.

There's alot more humour to it now, and I don't know why so many people bang on about it being depressing.. no it's not?
I find Emmerdale more depressing just the general feel it gives off.

Hollyoaks was a train wreck yeah, but I love it's revamp in some ways although I do agree that they care more about how their cast looks.
Old 19-11-2010, 08:02 PM #36
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Agree and Disagree.

The storylines in most soaps are predictable after a while yes, but Eastenders manages to stay new and fresh.

Now,

I do laugh at how ITV have paid these losers to come on the channel in between EVERY AD BREAK and pour their hearts out about how Corrie has changed their lives

I mean give me a break.

Eastenders 25th Anniversary was pretty big, Corrie's celebrating their 50th and most people don't care except for a few on here and of course ITV1 who are building it up to be the return of Jesus.

The Eastenders set it shocking, which is why they're having to rebuild the whole thing so that it can be broadcast in HD

The storylines aren't new and fresh they've either been done before (i.e. the new Ronnie one (Sonia)) or they've been taken from other soaps

And ROFL at your ignorance, how you can call Julie Walters a loser is beyond me. And again what are you talking about?! just because people you don't know aren't talking about it doesn't mean people don't care, it just means your an ignorant arse who can't see what's infront of them

The scars on my mind are on replay
Smithy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 08:03 PM #37
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Quote:
There's alot more humour to it now, and I don't know why so many people bang on about it being depressing.. no it's not?
trufax Phil mitchell recovering from a crack addiction in two weeks was hilarious

The scars on my mind are on replay
Smithy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 09:40 PM #38
Get it? Got it? Good!

Get it? Got it? Good!

Quote:
Agree and Disagree.

Now,

I mean give me a break.

The EastEnders set is shocking! It was built out of wood & fibreglass 25 years ago! The Vic looks ok now it has been rebuilt, but the rest of the square is a right state... Take a look at the brickwork on the houses in close up shots, it looks like it's been painted on lol At least the Corrie set is actually built out of real bricks...

Some of the EastEnders actors are good & some are awful, just like in every soap, so I don't see what that has to do with anything...

And "new & fresh" ?? LOL It's probably because you are so young Patrick & you haven't seen the many recycled storylines in the past...

If you honestly think Julie Walters is a loser then sorry Patrick your opinion isn't worth jack to be honest...

You don't like Corrie, I get it... But being 50 years old IS a big deal!! And not just on here! Have you not been reading any magazines/newspapers or watching any other TV shows that have been featuring Corrie cast members for the last few weeks?!? See people DO care, just you don't...

Quote:
See, anyone that has watched EE this year every day, knows that it's changed a great deal.

Hollyoaks was a train wreck yeah, but I love it's revamp in some ways although I do agree that they care more about how their cast looks.
How exactly has EastEnders changed?? It has had a new producer, but nothing much has actually changed & yes I do watch every episode...

Where is the humour? Fat Heather? I find her excrutiating & not in the least bit amusing... Who else? Jean? I don't find laughing at someone with a mental illness to be amusing either to be honest... Darren? Nope... Who else is supposed to be funny??

It is very depressing compared to other soaps, maybe your own life is actually so depressing that you find it uplifting?...

Emmerdale is a bit "mumsy", I wouldn't call it depressing as it has its fair share of light hearted storylines, I think they have the balance about right...

Last edited by flamingGalah!; 19-11-2010 at 09:44 PM.
flamingGalah! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 09:52 PM #39

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Agree and Disagree.

Now,

I mean give me a break.

I too think Eastenders painted cardboard set is far superior to that of Corrie which uses real bricks

More people watch Corrie than Eastenders and theres more hype about Corrie live episode and the tram crash than there was for Eastenders.

Last edited by Tom; 19-11-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 11:20 PM #40
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Quote:

I mean give me a break.
Oh you mean like those talking heads adverts EastEnders did for their 25th?

Last edited by Scarlett.; 19-11-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Scarlett. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
acting, bad, cheap, good, lines, predictable, ratings, sets, soaps, story