Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

View Poll Results: Was the Big Man right or wrong to throw the boy off the train?
Right 23 56.10%
Right
23 56.10%
Wrong 18 43.90%
Wrong
18 43.90%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14-12-2011, 06:29 PM #376
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
If the guy wasnt hell bent on fare dodging and pretending he had the correct ticket - and stopped arguing and cursing away: then the situation would never have arisen.
Difference is, the lad doesnt have to be professional and follow procedure to travel on a train. Someone at work, and trained to deal with situations like this, should know better

Im pretty damn sure this guy wasnt the first to dodge the fair and refuse to leave the train. But I would think he is probably the first where the conductor gave free reign to other passengers to assault him. At least I would hope the second scenario wasnt common.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.

Last edited by Vicky.; 14-12-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 06:29 PM #377

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
Well I dont particularly want to be stabbed either. Nor do I assume that just because someone is young and rude, that they are carrying a knife and going to use it on me

No Your a Good Lady
I am sure you are fine.

But that Ticket Old Boy may have had weapons pointed at him
more than younger you

Last edited by arista; 14-12-2011 at 06:29 PM.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 06:31 PM #378
Banned

Banned

Quote:
If the guy wasnt hell bent on fare dodging and pretending he had the correct ticket - and stopped arguing and cursing away: then the situation would never have arisen.

You may think it's amusing for people to be verbally abused in their place of work - I don't - and I don't care if that is a train conductor, a nurse in A&E - people have a right to carry out their employ and not be verbally abused for it.
At the end of the day the conductor handled the situation poorly, that's a fact. Instead of opting to do any of the procedures he opened the floor to violence. I don't care what kind of verbal abuse was flying around swearing doesn't condone violence and I'm surprised and flabbergasted that you think that Pyramid.

Does that mean if I hear someone say **** while i'm out and about I can throw them in front of a car or beat them down?
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 06:31 PM #379
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
No Your a Good Lady
I am sure you are fine.

But that Ticket Old Boy may have had weapons pointed at him
more than younger you
Still, this does not mean that every youngster is carrying a knife. And it would be ridiculous of the conductor to assume that. if he is seriously that paranoid, he shouldnt be at work anyway, he must be a nervous wreck if he thinks every teen is going to stab him.
Quote:
Quote:
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Old 14-12-2011, 06:32 PM #380
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
Difference is, the lad doesnt have to be professional and follow procedure to travel on a train. Someone at work, and trained to deal with situations like this, should know better

Actually, you will find that he (the passenger) does have to follow rules. The terms and conditions of using public tranport - and are often posted around in respect of fare dodging: makes procedures very clear as to what is required when you use such mode of transport, what is expected when ticket inspector come on board, and of the consequences.

If he uses a mode of transport - he should be aware of the T&Cs of carriager prior to embarking.

Last edited by Pyramid*; 14-12-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Pyramid* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 06:33 PM #381
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Actually, you will find that he does. The terms and conditions of using public tranport - and are often posted around in respect of fare dodging: makes procedures very clear as to what is required when you use such mode of transport, what is expected when ticket inspector come on board, and of the consequences.

If he uses a mode of transport - he should be aware of the T&Cs of carriager prior to embarking.
Oh ffs...you knew what I meant.

One would assume that someone in a position of power/a work, would follow procedure and do things the right way...no?
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Vicky.; 14-12-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 14-12-2011, 06:35 PM #382
0_o

0_o

Basically what we have learned from this thread...is that contrary to popular belief... two (or three) wrongs DO make a right. And that swearing or dodging train fares means you should be assaulted/the person who assaults you is the one in the right.

Blimey
Quote:
Quote:
Old 14-12-2011, 06:35 PM #383

Quote:
Still, this does not mean that every youngster is carrying a knife. And it would be ridiculous of the conductor to assume that. if he is seriously that paranoid, he shouldnt be at work anyway, he must be a nervous wreck if he thinks every teen is going to stab him.

No it does not
but the Punk Scammer was Swearing a great deal
in front of children
so thats on the way to a attack - From Rail Staff

Last edited by arista; 14-12-2011 at 06:36 PM.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 06:37 PM #384
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
At the end of the day the conductor handled the situation poorly, that's a fact. Instead of opting to do any of the procedures he opened the floor to violence. I don't care what kind of verbal abuse was flying around swearing doesn't condone violence and I'm surprised and flabbergasted that you think that Pyramid.

Does that mean if I hear someone say **** while i'm out and about I can throw them in front of a car or beat them down?
At the end of the day: there would have been no situation for the conductor to handle at all - if the boyo would have simply bought his ticket -or - accepted that he didn't and got off when he was told.

He created the situation.

I'm not perturbed in the slightest if you are surprised or flabbergasted at my views - or not - they are my views regardless. If that has some impact on your thoughts on my views - it has no bearing on me whatsover.
Old 14-12-2011, 06:41 PM #385
Banned

Banned

Quote:
At the end of the day: there would have been no situation for the conductor to handle at all - if the boyo would have simply bought his ticket -or - accepted that he didn't and got off when he was told.

He created the situation.

I'm not perturbed in the slightest if you are surprised or flabbergasted at my views - or not - they are my views regardless. If that has some impact on your thoughts on my views - it has no bearing on me whatsover.
The conductor should have been professional enough to end the situation without having the passengers attack each other. He gave his consent to violence which is hardly professional.

It hardly matters who creates the situation what's more important is how it's resolved and for a fully trained professional he did a piss poor job.

Oh I said piss, does that mean a fat tub of lard should come to my house and beat my head in now?
Old 14-12-2011, 06:43 PM #386
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
Oh ffs...you knew what I meant.

One would assume that someone in a position of power/a work, would follow procedure and do things the right way...no?
Oh I knew what you meant, it's important though that people do realise that they don't travel on public transport without accepting the T&Cs of carriage.

I've stated several times over that the conductor could have handled the matter differently: I also gave reasons for considation as to why he did not do so.

Quote:
Basically what we have learned from this thread...is that contrary to popular belief... two (or three) wrongs DO make a right. And that swearing or dodging train fares means you should be assaulted/the person who assaults you is the one in the right.

Blimey
Only if you hold that view: which I and others on here...don't.

Old 14-12-2011, 06:45 PM #387
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
The conductor should have been professional enough to end the situation without having the passengers attack each other. He gave his consent to violence which is hardly professional.

It hardly matters who creates the situation what's more important is how it's resolved and for a fully trained professional he did a piss poor job.

Oh I said piss, does that mean a fat tub of lard should come to my house and beat my head in now?
He gave his consent to violence. Really..... That's not what I saw or heard, at all. In fact, nothing remotely close to it.

It mattered - ie the situation - when in your earlier post you were keen to assign blame to only the conductor.

Quote:
At the end of the day the conductor handled the situation poorly,
Now you are changing stance? It's only important when it's how it was handled, but not WHO created it in the first instance?

Last edited by Pyramid*; 14-12-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 14-12-2011, 06:50 PM #388
0_o

0_o

Quote:

Oh I think the very vast majority(pretty much everyone except one or two) would agree that it IS assault. Some of those may think it was deserved...thats their choice...and a different argument really. But theres really no denying that by law, the lad was assaulted.

Therefor those saying the big guy was in the right, think its fine to assault someone who is swearing and being rude
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Vicky.; 14-12-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 14-12-2011, 06:51 PM #389
oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

Quote:

Blimey

Quote:
Is that some sort of joke? Because everything you've posted on this subject for the last 24 hours has hinted heavily that that's you believe.

Quote:
He gave his consent to violence. Really..... That's not what I saw or heard, at all. In fact, nothing remotely close to it.
The 'big man' says 'do you want me to remove him?' or something along those lines, the conductor quite clearly says 'yes', and thus he is giving permission to another passenger to commit an assault, permission of which he doesn't have the power to give and had he be doing his job properly, he wouldn't have given any.
Jack_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 06:53 PM #390
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
Oh I think the vast majority would agree that it IS assault. Some may think it was deserved...thats their choice. But theres really no denying that by law, the lad was assaulted.

Therefor those saying the big guy was in the right, think its fine to assault someone who is swearing and being rude
What people 'think' is assault and what actually 'is' assault will no doubt be clarified - seeing that a complaint has been made to the Police.

If they feel assault has taken place, I'd expect them to charge Mr Pollock with said crime, and see what the outcome is thereafter. Until then, I'm maintaining my stance. *digs heels in*

Verbal abuse is not the same as verbal assault.

Last edited by Pyramid*; 14-12-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 14-12-2011, 06:54 PM #391
Banned

Banned

Quote:

It mattered - ie the situation - when in your earlier post you were keen to assign blame to only the conductor.

Now you are changing stance? It's only important when it's how it was handled, but not WHO created it in the first instance?
He did consent, you said it yourself Pyramid.

Quote:
The Big Man asked the conductor if he wanted the yob removed. The conductor replied Yes. How is that undermining the conductor exactly?

I think any chance of it being resolved respectfully flew out the door when the yob began cursing at the Conductor.
In your own words you said that he consented to the fat yob assaulting the teenager.

As for me 'changing stance' I've been blaming the conductor for ages, do keep up Pyramid. Maybe if you read people's posts in full instead of ignoring points you can't win against you wouldn't slip up so much.

Last edited by Tom4784; 14-12-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 14-12-2011, 06:58 PM #392
0_o

0_o

Quote:
What people 'think' is assault and what actually 'is' assault will no doubt be clarified - seeing that a complaint has been made to the Police.

If they feel assault has taken place, I'd expect them to charge Mr Pollock with said crime, and see what the outcome is thereafter. Until then, I'm maintaining my stance. *digs heels in*

Verbal abuse is not the same as verbal assault.

As for the rest...if the complaint is not withdrawn...and the guy IS charged with assault...will you accept then that it was assault? Or will you be saying the police are wrong so that you can continue with this argument?
Quote:
Quote:
Old 14-12-2011, 06:59 PM #393
filthy mudblood

Favourites (more):
BB16: Amy & Sally
X Factor 2014: Only The Young

filthy mudblood

Favourites (more):
BB16: Amy & Sally
X Factor 2014: Only The Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingle Bellend View Post
Big Man
Old 14-12-2011, 07:00 PM #394
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_ View Post
Is that some sort of joke? Because everything you've posted on this subject for the last 24 hours has hinted heavily that that's you believe.

The 'big man' says 'do you want me to remove him?' or something along those lines, the conductor quite clearly says 'yes', and thus he is giving permission to another passenger to commit an assault, permission of which he doesn't have the power to give and had he be doing his job properly, he wouldn't have given any.
What have I hinted heavily at as being a joke in my posts?

Is what a joke: what precisely Jack? That I hold a different view from you - no, that's no joke.

The Big Man says, " Do you want me to get him off for you". The conductor replies Yes. He didn't ask or invite or request or incite any violent act. The T&Cs of rail travel are clear: he was abusive, and he was removed. Not perhaps by the best means - but that is what happened.
Old 14-12-2011, 07:03 PM #395
0_o

0_o

Quote:
The T&Cs of rail travel are clear: he was abusive, and he was removed. Not perhaps by the best means - but that is what happened.
Pretty sure the T&Cs dont mention 'if you fail to provide a ticket a random other passenger will be allowed to intervene and throw you off the train with much more force than necessary'. I would imagine they might say something about the police being called/transport police though
Quote:
Quote:
Old 14-12-2011, 07:05 PM #396
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

'Why I filmed train ticket row'14 December 2011 Last updated at 10:00 Help ScotRail have said they are investigating after an alleged fare-dodger was removed from a train by a member of the public. Click to see interview of guy who filmed..... the yobs abuse had been going on for some time

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16173835

Vicky:what you have asked was coverd by Shasown some time back, the wording states 'Generally'.

Last edited by Pyramid*; 14-12-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 14-12-2011, 07:15 PM #397
R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Patsy Kensit
Apprentice 2014: Roisin

R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Patsy Kensit
Apprentice 2014: Roisin

My god. 16 pages of you lot rewording your same points over and over again
Old 14-12-2011, 07:16 PM #398
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

I saw the "lad" on the news being all reasonable. A very different attitude to the one he had on the train. He didn't try to explain, he effed and blinded at the conductor who was there doing a job. Nice. Whatever they're paying the ticket chap it isn't enough to have some twat-in-a-hat talk to him like he's a piece of crap. Maybe if his attitude had been like the attitude he suddenly seems to have adopted for the TV cameras, the matter would have been cleared up in seconds.

It amazes me that people think his attitude demanded some kind of special treatment and respect from a person doing a job when it was clear there was not one iota of respect coming from the "lad". Next time he might consider a) buying a ticket or b) explaining himself without being abusive and obnoxious.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 07:28 PM #399
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrooge View Post
My god. 16 pages of you lot rewording your same points over and over again
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 07:28 PM #400
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I saw the "lad" on the news being all reasonable. A very different attitude to the one he had on the train. He didn't try to explain, he effed and blinded at the conductor who was there doing a job. Nice. Whatever they're paying the ticket chap it isn't enough to have some twat-in-a-hat talk to him like he's a piece of crap. Maybe if his attitude had been like the attitude he suddenly seems to have adopted for the TV cameras, the matter would have been cleared up in seconds.

It amazes me that people think his attitude demanded some kind of special treatment and respect from a person doing a job when it was clear there was not one iota of respect coming from the "lad". Next time he might consider a) buying a ticket or b) explaining himself without being abusive and obnoxious.
Pretty sure I have read every post in this thread and I dont think I have seen even one saying he should get special treatment
Quote:
Quote:

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
19, dodger, fare, leave, passenger, refusing, thrown, train, year