Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:21 PM #1
Gatorade me, Bitch!

Gatorade me, Bitch!

Default The Death Penalty

Discuss...
Old 01-02-2012, 03:24 PM #2

Completely against it in every shape and form. Gives someone an easy way out, you ask the majority of people on life sentances for murder and other serious offences and they would probably commit suicide if they could

Don't get the huge rush for ''omg kill the bastards!!''..I don't get the whole ''eye for an eye'' thing...don't stoop to their level in anyway
King Gizzard is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:28 PM #3

Favourites:
BBUSA17: John

Favourites:

Good points Nathan, but you've probably not had it happen to you and you'd think differently had anything if like.. your sibling/cousin/parent was murdered in cold blood.

My outside view on it would be the same as Nathan's however if it affected me like above, then I'd want the person to die.
Marc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:31 PM #4

I think if I was in the position I would still have the same view point. I would want that person to feel they've suffered not just that they're going to die and not have to deal with the guilt for the rest of their lives
Old 01-02-2012, 03:33 PM #5
Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

my cousin was murdered and I'm against the death penalty, so the whole "omg if it happened to you x" angle is bollocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:35 PM #6

Favourites:
BBUSA16: Derrick

Favourites:

Agree with everything that Nathan said. The whole 'eye for an eye' mentality is worrying. Rather have them rot in prison than just kill them and give them the easy way out.

Last edited by Roy Mars III; 01-02-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Roy Mars III is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:36 PM #7

If anything prison conditions should be alot worse and most sentances increased to maximum

If you take away someones life yours should be taken away (not literally, but in the sense of having a life whatsoever)

Last edited by King Gizzard; 01-02-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:38 PM #8
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Good points Nathan, but you've probably not had it happen to you and you'd think differently had anything if like.. your sibling/cousin/parent was murdered in cold blood.

My outside view on it would be the same as Nathan's however if it affected me like above, then I'd want the person to die.
But that's the thing, I don't think you should judge a suitable punishment based on "that could have been my son/brother/etc." it just means you're being guided by an emotional response and I'd honestly like to think I wouldn't support it still, but obviously it's impossible to know..

Like I said in the other thread, I'm definitely against it, it just reduces you down to the same level of the criminal, I don't see how you can kill someone to try and show that killing is wrong, surely that's a fallacy. The only distinction between the two would be a (in my view) misguided sense of justice, and "right". I think it also doesn't leave any room to try and understand why people carry out their crimes, and doesn't leave any room for rehabilitation, which I know a lot on here won't believe or don't think is possible but I really believe it is. A life sentence is enough punishment in my opinion.
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:38 PM #9

Favourites:

Favourites:

I guess my view isn't universal but it's not as if it's obscure so I'm sure some others would think the same.

Last edited by Marc; 01-02-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Marc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:42 PM #10
Jesus.

Jesus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
But that's the thing, I don't think you should judge a suitable punishment based on "that could have been my son/brother/etc." it just means you're being guided by an emotional response and I'd honestly like to think I wouldn't support it still, but obviously it's impossible to know..

Like I said in the other thread, I'm definitely against it, it just reduces you down to the same level of the criminal, I don't see how you can kill someone to try and show that killing is wrong, surely that's a fallacy. The only distinction between the two would be a (in my view) misguided sense of justice, and "right". I think it also doesn't leave any room to try and understand why people carry out their crimes, and doesn't leave any room for rehabilitation, which I know a lot on here won't believe or don't think is possible but I really believe it is. A life sentence is enough punishment in my opinion.
Excellent post.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:45 PM #11
CharlieO

Favourites (more):
UBB: Nikki
BB11: Josie
CharlieO

Favourites (more):
UBB: Nikki
BB11: Josie

I am kind of against it. But it does work. Singapore - 2nd lowest crime rate in the world because they have the death penalty.

ME AND GOD WE DON'T GET ALONG, SO NOW I SING
CharlieO is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:48 PM #12
Jesus.

Jesus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieO View Post
I am kind of against it. But it does work. Singapore - 2nd lowest crime rate in the world because they have the death penalty.
America - the states with the death penalties have some of the highest crime rates. It's a bit of a myth that it acts as a deterrent.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:02 PM #13

If we knew for sure that murderers and child molesters were guilty, i have no problem with the death penalty.

If all of them are guilty of what they are accussed of i have no problem with the death penalty.

But many cases, you cannot be sure they are guilty, so i am against it.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:04 PM #14
The voice of reason

The voice of reason

Its a good thing and saves money. Life is cheap and easily created as is death. Dont let years of religious lies make us think that life is this precious gift bollocks.
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:07 PM #15
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostalex View Post
If we knew for sure that murderers and child molesters were guilty, i have no problem with the death penalty.

If all of them are guilty of what they are accussed of i have no problem with the death penalty.

But many cases, you cannot be sure they are guilty, so i am against it.
Yeah, I agree with this.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:07 PM #16
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
Its a good thing and saves money. Life is cheap and easily created as is death. Dont let years of religious lies make us think that life is this precious gift bollocks.
You don't need to be religious to think life is a precious gift.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:07 PM #17

Favourites (more):
BB14: Daley
BB12: Aaron

Favourites (more):
BB14: Daley
BB12: Aaron

I'm against it, but not because I'd rather see a criminal rot in prison, or because it's an easy way out for them. But because I don't think it's acceptable to be killing anyone for any reason, unless...

Probably alone in thinking this, but I think someone who receives a life sentence in prison, should have the choice of death instead. Having them sit in a prison cell for 20 odd years isn't useful to anyone, unless in the unlikely scenario that they come out of it the other side as a changed person who'll be a benefit to society. Just let them die if they want to.

Though I also agree with rehabilitation. And I guess if someone's committed a crime that warrants a life sentence, they're not going to be 100% stable mentally, thus shouldn't be making a life or death decision. So basically, my idea is flawed
Samuel. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:09 PM #18
Jesus.

Jesus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
I'm an anti-theist, but I don't believe in the death penalty.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:10 PM #19

I don't necessarily disagree with it. I believe it is useful in some cases, but not all.

I just looked up if my state does the death penalty, and they do.

Quote:
Lethal injection is the sole method. (On October 5, 2001, the Georgia Supreme Court held that the electric chair was cruel and unusual punishment and struck down the state's use of the method)
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/methods-execution

nicole_burks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:10 PM #20
Z

Z

Tough question. My main opposition to it is that for every time they get it right (and by that I mean condemn someone who is guilty) there are countless cases of them getting it wrong... and that is truly horrible, to think that someone who didn't even commit the crime has been killed in response to said crime. I don't know. I think with some crimes, rehab is possible, but those are crimes that don't involve the plotting and execution of someone's death. When it comes to people who have done that, I think they're beyond redemption.

To actually kill another human being on purpose is the worst kind of crime. Among other things, it suggests that the murderer doesn't value life, they think whoever they killed is beneath them in some way, and they don't therefore value life like the rest of society does. I don't want to say I'm for capital punishment, because of my hesistance when it comes to whether or not somebody committed a crime... but I agree with the concept.
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:10 PM #21
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
If anything prison conditions should be alot worse and most sentances increased to maximum
This^

Prison as it is now, is a pretty easy ride. I know when people say they get 5 course meals and playstation 3s etc its a load of bollocks...but many in prison have a better life than they had on the outside...how is that punishment?

I know this because a guy I used to go to school with WANTS to be in prison. Everytime he gets released he does stupid things to get back in again...like fake robbing the post office in his hometown and stuff. He doesnt WANT to get away with it, he wants to be caught, and its pathetic. That said, he has been homeless the majority of his life since his mother ****ed off abroad and left him when he was 17...when he originally turned to crime. I used to think he was just an idiot (he probably is tbh) but a few years back during one of his short stints out of jail I was talking to him properly and now I feel sorry for him. He has made mates in there, while he has no mates outside, he gets fed, he gets to socialize etc etc.

This is NOT what we want for criminals. Yeah this lad I know is a petty criminal, not a murderer or whatever (for the minute anyway )and I would like to think the prisons murderers/pedos etc get sent to are worse conditions...but it should be pretty much living hell being in jail. Living on slops and that kinda thing.

Our jails are a holiday camp compared to how it is being in prison in other countries. And dont give me the human rights crap...or 'we are advanced enough to not act like barbarians' because thats the sort of attitude thats got us into this mess in the first place

(But I do not agree wit the death penalty. Mistakes can be, and are made. And theres no going back.)
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.

Last edited by Vicky.; 01-02-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:15 PM #22
oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

I oppose it completely. It's a disgusting, hypocritical, inhumane attempt at 'justice' which has so many flaws that I see no positive reasoning as to its implementation.

First and foremost, it's a complete cop-out of a punishment for the criminal. Why on earth would anyone want someone's suffering to be stopped after a few minutes, when there's the option of having them suffer their entire lives? And as Nathan said most criminals on life sentences would choose suicide over actually fulfilling their sentence anyway, I know I would.

Not only that but the message it sends out is not only full of hypocrisy, but it's essentially saying that it's perfectly acceptable to murder, which it isn't. The whole concept of it just panders to the blood thirsty morons who scream and wail 'kill the evil twat!!!' every time a case is reported. And of course, there's occasions where people have been innocently executed, which is unforgivable if you ask me.

If it were down to me I'd have prisons made tougher and sentences extended, they're not perfect at the moment but they're a much better place to send criminals for real justice than executing them on the spot. I find the whole idea and the fact that some people are so desperate for others to be killed extremely disturbing.
Jack_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:15 PM #23
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

I dunno about the whole prisons are too soft thing, from a personal perspective I think that even if I had loads of luxuries I would still find it absolute hell to spend years of my life in a cell, I don't think that a few comforts would make up for me having to sacrifice my freedom and just be so.. restricted and live in a tiny confined space or area, I think it'd be a miserable existence :/
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:16 PM #24

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole_burks View Post
I don't necessarily disagree with it. I believe it is useful in some cases, but not all.

I just looked up if my state does the death penalty, and they do.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/methods-execution
Most states only use lethal ejection. And the states who do still have the electric chair, let the prisoner chose between lethal enjection and the chair. And in Utah you can still be killed by a firing squad if you want.

Last edited by Roy Mars III; 01-02-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Roy Mars III is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:24 PM #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Mars III View Post
Most states only use lethal ejection. And the states who do still have the electric chair, let the prisoner chose between lethal enjection and the chair. And in Utah you can still be killed by a firing squad if you want.
New Hampshire allows hanging
Quote:
New Hampshire- Authorizes hanging only if lethal injection cannot be given.

nicole_burks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
death, penalty