Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 18-12-2012, 02:41 AM #126
My keyboard is bullocks

Favourites (more):
BBUSA20: Samantha
CBBUSA: Mark McGrath

My keyboard is bullocks

Favourites (more):
BBUSA20: Samantha
CBBUSA: Mark McGrath

I've seen two great tributes over the last few days.

On The Voice US Final. The show opened with Hallelujah, there was no warning they would tribute the fallen. The four coaches (Blake Shelton, A Country star, Adam Levine, Lead Singer of Maroon 5, Christina Aguleria and Ceelo Green) were leads while some of the Season 3 artists and media presenter Christina Millian sang on the chorus with everyone on stage including host Carson Daly holding up the names of the victims. After the song was over, there was complete silence for a second and they went to the recap.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO64u...kXG6qZ&index=6

Also On Saturday Night Live (A Skit Show), The New York City Children's Choir sang "Silent Night" and ended with the refrain "Sleep in Heavenly Peace" during the famous cold opening that starts every episode. After they were done they said the famous words "Live From New York, It's Saturday Night!" signaling the start of the title sequence. Like the Voice there was no warning there would be a tribute. But it would be assumed that they would.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTbhVlHuONo
Nintendo ID (Wii U): BRLNerd
BBfanUSA is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 12:15 PM #127

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Julian Clary
BB13: Luke A

Favourites (more):

I've followed all the News stories on this dreadful incident, I've read most of the reports and articles and Blogs surrounding this case. And through all of the sadness and anger and denial and hate and presidential resolve to change things I still have one over riding thought running through my head... Why oh why would young man not long out of his teens himself think it acceptable to murder his mother and then go out and cold bloodily murder 20 young children that he had never met.

Anyone who is capable of such a depraved evil act must have showed some major signs beforehand. There simply must have been some personality indicators to suggest this young lad was not the full shilling. When you think of all the Teachers,Social Workers, healthcare professionals, friends, family etc.. surely someone spotted something untoward about this man that may have alerted others to his devastating murderous potential.

Because if a sane rational normal young man can just decide to carry out an act of this sort in cold blood then as a race we are doomed...!!!

Banning guns may be a short term solution but I think there are serious major issues here that are begging to be asked, what has gone wrong with our Youth of today that we end up (again) with this type of incident. I don't have the answers but I dam well know the questions HAVE TO BE ASKED...!!!!
Nedusa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 02:35 PM #128
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedusa View Post
I've followed all the News stories on this dreadful incident, I've read most of the reports and articles and Blogs surrounding this case. And through all of the sadness and anger and denial and hate and presidential resolve to change things I still have one over riding thought running through my head... Why oh why would young man not long out of his teens himself think it acceptable to murder his mother and then go out and cold bloodily murder 20 young children that he had never met.

Anyone who is capable of such a depraved evil act must have showed some major signs beforehand. There simply must have been some personality indicators to suggest this young lad was not the full shilling. When you think of all the Teachers,Social Workers, healthcare professionals, friends, family etc.. surely someone spotted something untoward about this man that may have alerted others to his devastating murderous potential.

Because if a sane rational normal young man can just decide to carry out an act of this sort in cold blood then as a race we are doomed...!!!

Banning guns may be a short term solution but I think there are serious major issues here that are begging to be asked, what has gone wrong with our Youth of today that we end up (again) with this type of incident. I don't have the answers but I dam well know the questions HAVE TO BE ASKED...!!!!
banning guns is the short AND long term solution
in a nation of 330 million youre bound to get a few 100,000 maniacs. so you attack it in a few ways
1) BAN GUNS. THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO CAN HAVE ACCESS TO GUNS ARE SOME COPS AND THE ARMY. IF FARMERS OR OTHERS WANT THEM THEY NEED TO PROVIDE MASSIVELY CONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE THAT THEY MUST HAVE A GUN TO WARD OFF WILD ANIMALS....THEN APPLY THROUGH A MASSIVELY RIGOROUS PROCESS THAT TAKES A YEAR. CRIMINAL RECORDS CHECKS, PSYCHOLOGICAL BACKGROUND CHECKS EVERYTHING. EVEN THEN LIMIT IT TO 1 GUN PER FARMING HOUSEHOLD.

THIS WILL REQUIRE A MASSIVE RESPECTABLE IN DEPTH DEBATE ACROSS THE US. EXPOSING THE SHEER STUPIDITY OF HAVING MORE GUNS THAN PEOPLE AND THE INEVITABLE RESULT OF MORE CRAZY PEOPLE GETTING THEIR HANDS ON MORE GUNS AND THEREFORE MORE MASS EXECUTIONS

2) The war on drugs must come back tenfold. we are to blame here. we ignore ho wmind altering drugs are and how they effect behaviour radically. dealing with a violent unstable unpredictable possibly violent person is hard enough. throw in mind altering drugs and you have a bigger problem, throw in asault weapons and you have mass murder. drugs must be fought by the police who have failed in this as have politicians for decades. drug pushers are destroying society.

3) Invest way more in mental health issues. easier said than done. Im no social worker. But it seems that social workers have not been smart enough in targetting serious issues compared to nonsense issues like which political party you vote for. In the US clearly not enough is invested in mental health issues. surely obamas healthcare bill can encompass mental health issues far more comprehensively. in the past i was buried or ignored or unaffordable. now people can be treated, but trying diagnosing it first. schools will be at the forefront of this, with social services and local government.

4) cultural changes. 24 war channels, mindless violence in movies, in computer games, on tv screens. does it affect you? um yes. especially when youre young , a loner, impressionable and cut off from advice and peer pressure. movies used to be about story telling, now they show close ups of bullets entering the brain. is that entertainment or voyeurism? for me its mindless and boring.

5) war. the us since pearl harboud has invaded approx 60 countries, its built 1000 army bases worldwide and has more money spent on war than the rest of the world combined. what is a young american meant to learn from this carnage? as ted turner put it recently. we need to disband with war, lay it down on the ground and forget it. ultimately it always fails and creates bloodshed and more hate that lasts a lifetime and beyond. the fact humans created enough bombs to destroy the earth 1000 times tells you how stupid its become. nuclear missiles failed, they did not lead to any peace at all. in fact the production of them alone has lead to even more war. disarm them on a worldwide scale, just as we need to disarm at home.

6) political lies. the iraq invasion should imo have seen some politicians arrested. there were vast numbers of untruths told. a nation against the war, a million peaceful marchers ignored in london. is that democracy? whats to stop this from happenning again and again?

7) fathers. every family needs a good father. especially young men who otherwise learn their life lessons from men they see on tv or in movies. there are no male teachers in primary schools either. way more needs to be done to recognise this need and to rectify it.

8) inequality. the rich are richer than ever, the gap between rich and poor is bigger than ever. however we also live in a society where too many young people dont work. they become disheartened, alienated and detached from reality and humanity. this is especially true in young men, where suicide levels worldwide are higher than any time in human history. its a ticking time bomb , that will keep going off.

Last edited by the truth; 18-12-2012 at 02:38 PM.
the truth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 04:36 PM #129

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by the truth View Post
banning guns is the short AND long term solution
in a nation of 330 million youre bound to get a few 100,000 maniacs. so you attack it in a few ways
1) BAN GUNS. THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO CAN HAVE ACCESS TO GUNS ARE SOME COPS AND THE ARMY. IF FARMERS OR OTHERS WANT THEM THEY NEED TO PROVIDE MASSIVELY CONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE THAT THEY MUST HAVE A GUN TO WARD OFF WILD ANIMALS....THEN APPLY THROUGH A MASSIVELY RIGOROUS PROCESS THAT TAKES A YEAR. CRIMINAL RECORDS CHECKS, PSYCHOLOGICAL BACKGROUND CHECKS EVERYTHING. EVEN THEN LIMIT IT TO 1 GUN PER FARMING HOUSEHOLD.

THIS WILL REQUIRE A MASSIVE RESPECTABLE IN DEPTH DEBATE ACROSS THE US. EXPOSING THE SHEER STUPIDITY OF HAVING MORE GUNS THAN PEOPLE AND THE INEVITABLE RESULT OF MORE CRAZY PEOPLE GETTING THEIR HANDS ON MORE GUNS AND THEREFORE MORE MASS EXECUTIONS

2) The war on drugs must come back tenfold. we are to blame here. we ignore ho wmind altering drugs are and how they effect behaviour radically. dealing with a violent unstable unpredictable possibly violent person is hard enough. throw in mind altering drugs and you have a bigger problem, throw in asault weapons and you have mass murder. drugs must be fought by the police who have failed in this as have politicians for decades. drug pushers are destroying society.

3) Invest way more in mental health issues. easier said than done. Im no social worker. But it seems that social workers have not been smart enough in targetting serious issues compared to nonsense issues like which political party you vote for. In the US clearly not enough is invested in mental health issues. surely obamas healthcare bill can encompass mental health issues far more comprehensively. in the past i was buried or ignored or unaffordable. now people can be treated, but trying diagnosing it first. schools will be at the forefront of this, with social services and local government.

4) cultural changes. 24 war channels, mindless violence in movies, in computer games, on tv screens. does it affect you? um yes. especially when youre young , a loner, impressionable and cut off from advice and peer pressure. movies used to be about story telling, now they show close ups of bullets entering the brain. is that entertainment or voyeurism? for me its mindless and boring.

5) war. the us since pearl harboud has invaded approx 60 countries, its built 1000 army bases worldwide and has more money spent on war than the rest of the world combined. what is a young american meant to learn from this carnage? as ted turner put it recently. we need to disband with war, lay it down on the ground and forget it. ultimately it always fails and creates bloodshed and more hate that lasts a lifetime and beyond. the fact humans created enough bombs to destroy the earth 1000 times tells you how stupid its become. nuclear missiles failed, they did not lead to any peace at all. in fact the production of them alone has lead to even more war. disarm them on a worldwide scale, just as we need to disarm at home.

6) political lies. the iraq invasion should imo have seen some politicians arrested. there were vast numbers of untruths told. a nation against the war, a million peaceful marchers ignored in london. is that democracy? whats to stop this from happenning again and again?

7) fathers. every family needs a good father. especially young men who otherwise learn their life lessons from men they see on tv or in movies. there are no male teachers in primary schools either. way more needs to be done to recognise this need and to rectify it.

8) inequality. the rich are richer than ever, the gap between rich and poor is bigger than ever. however we also live in a society where too many young people dont work. they become disheartened, alienated and detached from reality and humanity. this is especially true in young men, where suicide levels worldwide are higher than any time in human history. its a ticking time bomb , that will keep going off.
Excellent Post.... putting forward some of the questions that need to be asked and highlighting various issues/areas where the US has fallen down badly...!!!
Nedusa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 04:57 PM #130
Jesus.

Jesus.

Quote:

This is next to impossible. It is ingrained in their constitution. They will never be able to ban guns. It just will never happen. I do agree with the sentiment though

Quote:

Nonsense. All the war on drugs does is fill up the prison system, which in the US, is run as a money making scheme for private companies. Fighting drugs has been the biggest government failure, in any country they've gone down this path.

Quote:

I completely agree. Unfortunately, the republicans in the US are currently trying to dismantle any services like this, under the guise of deficit reduction.

Quote:

I think that's way too simplistic. Movies and video games have have been blamed a lot for issues like this, but it just doesn't really add up. I don't watch many "action" movies as they're not really my thing, but I don't think limiting peoples access to different kinds of art is the way forward.

Quote:

[/QUOTE]

Not much to disagree with there, but too many people make mone from war in the US, for it to be taken off the table.

I would like a rule, that anyone who votes to take the country in the war, automatically has their children (if they are the correct age) drafted up to the army. I know it's a bit unfair, but if you believe war to me the just and right course of action, then you should be prepared to sacrifice, too.

Quote:

If you can prevent politicians from lying, you're a better man than me.

Quote:

Too simplistic. I agree about male primary teachers, but how do you force men into that profession, and how do you people to stay together as perfect nuclear families.

Quote:

8) inequality. the rich are richer than ever, the gap between rich and poor is bigger than ever. however we also live in a society where too many young people dont work. they become disheartened, alienated and detached from reality and humanity. this is especially true in young men, where suicide levels worldwide are higher than any time in human history. its a ticking time bomb , that will keep going off

Inequality is a huge problem, but you can't even begin to redress this when all of the major political parties are either right wing or centre?
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 05:32 PM #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedusa View Post

The Secret to that was in his 2 Hard drives
which he Destroyed

He did not have normal feelings
due to his Autism

and Sadly his Mothers only way to bond with him
was to take him to the Shooting range.
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 05:58 PM #132
Cyber Warrior

Cyber Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
The Secret to that was in his 2 Hard drives
which he Destroyed

He did not have normal feelings
due to his Autism

and Sadly his Mothers only way to bond with him
was to take him to the Shooting range.

arista
are you accusing everyone on the autistic spectrum of being sociopahs and psychopaths

That is how what you type comes across to me

Fame, Riches, Adventure, Glory - A Cyber Warrior craves not these things

In Memorium
Wendy (AKA Romantic Old Bird) 1951 - 2008
Sticks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 07:05 PM #133

Yes, your use of the word "normal" is quite offensive.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 07:17 PM #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticks View Post

arista
are you accusing everyone on the autistic spectrum of being sociopahs and psychopaths

That is how what you type comes across to me

No I am Not

Everyone is not the same
Add him the Loner with his Mother and Guns
you end up with a tragic End.

Last edited by arista; 18-12-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 18-12-2012, 08:07 PM #135
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

With the greatest of respect arista, those who find it
hard to communicate are not all predestined to kill children.
Old 18-12-2012, 08:10 PM #136

Well Done this Teacher saved Kids
on that sad day.
Old 18-12-2012, 08:53 PM #137
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus.H.Christ View Post
This is next to impossible. It is ingrained in their constitution. They will never be able to ban guns. It just will never happen. I do agree with the sentiment though

Nonsense. All the war on drugs does is fill up the prison system, which in the US, is run as a money making scheme for private companies. Fighting drugs has been the biggest government failure, in any country they've gone down this path.

I completely agree. Unfortunately, the republicans in the US are currently trying to dismantle any services like this, under the guise of deficit reduction.

I think that's way too simplistic. Movies and video games have have been blamed a lot for issues like this, but it just doesn't really add up. I don't watch many "action" movies as they're not really my thing, but I don't think limiting peoples access to different kinds of art is the way forward.

Not much to disagree with there, but too many people make mone from war in the US, for it to be taken off the table.

I would like a rule, that anyone who votes to take the country in the war, automatically has their children (if they are the correct age) drafted up to the army. I know it's a bit unfair, but if you believe war to me the just and right course of action, then you should be prepared to sacrifice, too.

Too simplistic. I agree about male primary teachers, but how do you force men into that profession, and how do you people to stay together as perfect nuclear families.

Inequality is a huge problem, but you can't even begin to redress this when all of the major political parties are either right wing or centre?[/QUOTE]

drugs affect everyone differently. however the law abiding public should not have to be around hard core drug takers and pushers, whose behaviour becomes ever more erratic. you can attempt to rehabilitate people. but drug pushers need to be locked away for a very very long time.
the truth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 09:16 PM #138
Jesus.

Jesus.

Quote:

Inequality is a huge problem, but you can't even begin to redress this when all of the major political parties are either right wing or centre?

drugs affect everyone differently. however the law abiding public should not have to be around hard core drug takers and pushers, whose behaviour becomes ever more erratic. you can attempt to rehabilitate people. but drug pushers need to be locked away for a very very long time.[/QUOTE]

The drug laws in the US are so strict, that just from being caught in possession of a relatively small amount of weed can mean a really long imprisonment, and when you combine it with some states that have a "3 strikes and you're out" law (meaning automatic life sentence for 3 crimes), then the problems of the war on drugs really hits home.
Old 18-12-2012, 09:19 PM #139
Jesus.

Jesus.

I tell you what that community, and especially those children really need right about now. Every ****ing news channel from across the world to **** off and leave them alone to grieve and come to terms with what has happened.
Old 18-12-2012, 09:33 PM #140
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus.H.Christ View Post
I tell you what that community, and especially those children really need right about now. Every ****ing news channel from across the world to **** off and leave them alone to grieve and come to terms with what has happened.
Yes... that's very true.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 10:42 PM #141
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

No, they want to feel safe and know that won't be happening again.
Gun obsessives....wot they like?...

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
27, connecticut, elementry, killed, shooting