Notices

CBB12 Celebrity Big Brother 12 started 22nd August 2013 and was won by Charlotte Crosby.

Discuss here.

Old 28-08-2013, 11:54 AM #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08marsh View Post
I never claimed to know anything about his medical condition or diagnosis. I'm merely commenting on those who seem to believe they do.
Then we're clearly in the same boat, so I'm not sure what the to-ing and fro-ing is here between your posts and mine?
Blue Cadillac is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 11:58 AM #127

[QUOTE=Jarvio;6340056]
Quote:
Originally Posted by courses View Post

Well it can probably be interlinked I suspect? I was told that many people with ASD are very obsessional.
Do you mean obsessions with certain things? i.e. my cousin knows everything there is to know about planes and it's all he talks about. But that doesn't account for the compulsion side of it like checking the door 20 times. Hmm. I'd always thought OCD was very separate to AS because of that.
courses is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 11:59 AM #128

[QUOTE=qwerty8883;6339925]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Cadillac View Post

Indeed they do but the anxiety with most people on the spectrum is quite different and very misplaced in comparison to someone who is considered normal. I presume that most people suffer from anxiety as a trait in most new social situations (due to the fact that the unknown must scare us all to some extent) However the anxiety i feel from walking out side my front door is probably (but not in all cases) ten fold as bad to that of a "normal" person.

As an example when i go into a social situation with any one person i will very carefully watch body language to gauge reactions from the person i am interacting with (quite normal i presume?). If i get even the slightest undertone that they are losing interest i will instantly change the subject matter. When this change takes places and i make my presumption based on observation, my anxiety goes from say 7/10 to 10/10 and will have a huge detrimental effect on my perceptions of how the conversation went and also weather or not i like this person due to my perception of their reaction to my conversation. I would also say that i will take my perceived knock back (which may or may not have actually been perceived by others in the same manner) in a hugely detrimental way and this will determine how i perceive them in the future. To stop this from happening over years i have learned to instead of being myself create specific persona's for specific personalities that i will come across (of course the issues arise when i start to behave as myself rather than as the persona designed to manage the anxiety in these situations)

articulating my feelings is very difficult but what i am getting at is that every social interaction for me is like say, A job interview. It doesnt matter if its with someone in a shop, the postman or an associate. Only the closest family members do not cause this problem and the Internet is another gem of a place where i do not suffer from this issue.

Now my case is probably very different from 99% of all other people who are on the autistic spectrum.

i also waffle on............
I understand all of this possibly more than you realise, since my son experiences virtually all that you mention. I was just pointing out that it's possible for all of us to experience severe anxiety and stress, and for many of us to try and 'become' someone we're not by creating different personalities within ourselves - not entirely limited to Asperger's people.
Old 28-08-2013, 12:00 PM #129

[QUOTE=courses;6340071]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvio View Post

Do you mean obsessions with certain things? i.e. my cousin knows everything there is to know about planes and it's all he talks about. But that doesn't account for the compulsion side of it like checking the door 20 times. Hmm. I'd always thought OCD was very separate to AS because of that.
I am certain the two can be interlinked, and often are.
Old 28-08-2013, 12:02 PM #130

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):

I'm getting on in years and live with someone who's son has aspergers. She thinks I may have it because i say some innapropriate things..i told her to **** off.
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 12:11 PM #131

[QUOTE=Blue Cadillac;6340073]
Quote:

Oh really I didn't know that. Explains a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
I'm getting on in years and live with someone who's son has aspergers. She thinks I may have it because i say some innapropriate things..i told her to **** off.
Haha!
courses is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 12:12 PM #132

[QUOTE=Blue Cadillac;6340073]
Quote:

Yep, that's what the doctor who diagnosed me said too.

Many conditions are often interlinked.
This is kind of what I'm saying - ASDs are very broad, and the symptoms are not the same for everyone.

Another characteristic of myself that I forgot to mention is that I need everything to be set/in a routine, and if there's any change it will freak me out. Short-notice plans stress me no end, and things cannot be left unresolved in my mind or I can't function until they are.

Last edited by Jarvio; 28-08-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Jarvio is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 12:15 PM #133

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

[QUOTE=Jarvio;6340088]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Cadillac View Post

Yep, that's what the doctor who diagnosed me said too.

Many conditions are often interlinked.

Another characteristic of myself that I forgot to mention is that I need everything to be set/on a routine, and if there's any change it will freak me out. Short-notice plans stress me no end, and things cannot be left unresolved in my mind or I can't function until they are.
sarcasm can be a bugger as well..you'll get round it pal, you come across so well on here..hats of to you for being so open with us..you're a good lad.
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 12:19 PM #134

[QUOTE=parmnion;6340094]
Quote:

sarcasm can be a bugger as well..you'll get round it pal, you come across so well on here..hats of to you for being so open with us..you're a good lad.
Thanks that means a lot

Sarcasm depends with me really - sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't. I guess it depends how obvious it is
Old 28-08-2013, 07:46 PM #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaudleHalbard View Post
I expect most of us can find a bit of mild Asperger's in ourselves, if we look hard enough! Lol!
Exactly my point. Being emo and having slight phases of depression does not mean your aspergic and nor does being shy or reclusive mean you have aspergers.

It's more to do with having a TALENT. people with aspergers are often GIFTED people.. its got f-all to do with it only being about social behaviours !!!!!!!!

christ almighty, if your feeling anti-social take some xanax and stay OUT of the aspergic spectrum you try hard to be in, because those who really have it stand less of a chance of recieving help!
sway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 07:48 PM #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08marsh View Post
Why's that? Because you declared that to be true?
No, its logical. Being in a boy band like 5ive doesn't exactly tick the 'I would rather read a quantum physics book than go to a party" check box on the Autism test.
sway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 09:39 PM #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by sway View Post
No, its logical. Being in a boy band like 5ive doesn't exactly tick the 'I would rather read a quantum physics book than go to a party" check box on the Autism test.
I think, out of the 2, I'd rather go to a party. Sure, there'd be social difficulties, but that's what I'd rather do. On top of this I'm a musician who has performed live (although it IS nerve-racking as hell for me).

So by your logic this means I don't have aspergers then? (even though I have a diagnosis in writing, confirmed by a professional).

Not everyone who has it are the same. Not everyone will tick the same boxes.

Last edited by Jarvio; 28-08-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 28-08-2013, 10:16 PM #138
Banned

Favourites (more):
BB15: Ashleigh
CBB 13: Ollie Locke
Banned

Favourites (more):

[QUOTE=Jarvio;6340046]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post

Yeah it really is. I'm hoping that things will improve in the workplace now that I have a diagnosis. But at the same time I don't want to 'count my chickens'.

It's so hard to find a job these days, let alone the right job.
Hi jarvio, I'm certain you will learn to deal with yourself as time goes on, my Father has Aspergers and is a very very successful man in life and especially in his career, I have some aspects of the condition which I have learned to love about myself so don't worry too much , just try and accept who you are , know who you are and why and if you can try and adapt to suit social situations, for example I eat the same thing every day, it doesn't change , however I worked out a meal I am happy eating if I go to a restaurant , so if I'm invited out I call the restaurant and ask if they can help me with that and they always can. You will work out strategies so you can deal with life I promise.
kistar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 10:18 PM #139
Banned

Favourites (more):
Banned

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I think, out of the 2, I'd rather go to a party. Sure, there'd be social difficulties, but that's what I'd rather do. On top of this I'm a musician who has performed live (although it IS nerve-racking as hell for me).

So by your logic this means I don't have aspergers then? (even though I have a diagnosis in writing, confirmed by a professional).

Not everyone who has it are the same. Not everyone will tick the same boxes.
Read my post it might help.
Old 28-08-2013, 10:26 PM #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by kistar View Post
Read my post it might help.
Thanks, it's appreciated
Old 28-08-2013, 10:41 PM #141

Favourites (more):
BB14: Callum
BB13: Deana

Favourites (more):
BB14: Callum
BB13: Deana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redway View Post
Yeah, and their understanding can be quite literal as well. I remember a while back our teacher told us to not rush through our work and he took it very literally, barely doing anything within the 45 minutes. :/
aman201 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 11:09 PM #142
Banned

Favourites (more):
Banned

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Thanks, it's appreciated
You have to learn to know your mind watch how it works and what you think you will learn that it is a machine you are at the helm of , so it should not rule you because without you it doesn't exist.
Old 28-08-2013, 11:47 PM #143
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kistar View Post
You have to learn to know your mind watch how it works and what you think you will learn that it is a machine you are at the helm of , so it should not rule you because without you it doesn't exist.
Hang on you lost me, if you separate your mind from you and you are guiding your mind who is guiding you?
Old 29-08-2013, 02:23 AM #144
Banned

Favourites (more):
Banned

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Hang on you lost me, if you separate your mind from you and you are guiding your mind who is guiding you?
Well we are more than just what our mind tells us we are , because it limits us through beliefs and past experiences, what you think can make you feel a way , thoughts create emotions, however if you are able to see how your mind works and the way thoughts make you feel you realise that you need to be in control of it rather than letting it run away with itself .I dont like wearing odd socks it used to make me anxious but I challenged the thought one day and wore odd socks I didn't like it much however nothing bad happened and I could deal with it , proving to myself my mind sometimes needs expanding and that what it makes you feel isn't always right.
Old 29-08-2013, 02:36 AM #145
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

That's all well and good to challenge an irrational anxiety relating to personal idiosyncrasies. I don't however see how they can be held up against an Autistic spectrum disorder.
As in your case you could recognise the irrationality of your thought process, someone with Aspergers wouldn't necessarily identify a social faux pas if they encountered it.

Last edited by Kizzy; 29-08-2013 at 02:43 AM.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 03:32 AM #146
Banned

Favourites (more):
Banned

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
That's all well and good to challenge an irrational anxiety relating to personal idiosyncrasies. I don't however see how they can be held up against an Autistic spectrum disorder.
As in your case you could recognise the irrationality of your thought process, someone with Aspergers wouldn't necessarily identify a social faux pas if they encountered it.
Well it's how I help myself and it works for me, my father is a sufferer and is one of the most confident people you could ever meet, mainly because he has no care or thought for anyone but himself , Aspergers has made him successful because his lack of empathy has made him ruthless in business and in his career , so it's not always social awkwardness.
Old 29-08-2013, 06:19 AM #147
thesheriff443

thesheriff443

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
I am waiting on Boomoo to come back and explain her post. It is the type of thing the Daily Mail churns out, with no basis in fact.
I will answer a bit of what he/she said,
people can get disability living allowance, for having as, or being on the autism spectrum and in some severe cases they will get a car.

but its not a simple process to get put on the spectrum!.

a couple won the lottery but refused to give up their free mobility car!, so its swings and roundabout's.
thesheriff443 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 06:23 AM #148
Something inoffensive

Favourites (more):
BB15: Chris
CBB 13: Lionel Blair
Something inoffensive

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesheriff443 View Post
I will answer a bit of what he/she said,
people can get disability living allowance, for having as, or being on the autism spectrum and in some severe cases they will get a car.

but its not a simple process to get put on the spectrum!.

a couple won the lottery but refused to give up their free mobility car!, so its swings and roundabout's.
In order to qualify for a mobility car through the now defunct DLA, you had to have been receiving the high rate of the mobility component. I'm far from an expert on Autism, but I would imagine very few people with the condition would meet this criteria.

Add me on Goodreads here
Verbal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 06:27 AM #149
thesheriff443

thesheriff443

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalHermit View Post
In order to qualify for a mobility car through the now defunct DLA, you had to have been receiving the high rate of the mobility component. I'm far from an expert on Autism, but I would imagine very few people with the condition would meet this criteria.
that's true, but also mobility cars are not income based so you can have lottery winners still entitled to a free car.
thesheriff443 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 06:28 AM #150
Something inoffensive

Favourites (more):
Something inoffensive

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesheriff443 View Post
that's true, but also mobility cars are not income based so you can have lottery winners still entitled to a free car.
No you cant. If you have over a certain amount in your bank. You are breaking the law if you are claiming DLA.

Add me on Goodreads here
Verbal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
abz, aspergers, ive got aspergers