Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 22-12-2015, 08:03 PM #1

Default The risk of HIV and Hepatitis

I'm putting this in serious debate because it is serious, in fact its deadly serious.

Yesterday I did something stupid. Someone had dumped a load of rubbish in our backyard at work. I was out having a quick vape when some guys turned up to move it. I helped grab a couple of sacks to throw onto their truck but then noticed my hand was bleeding and on closer inspection, they looked like they could be needle puncture wounds.

We opened the packaging I'd handled and there were six dirty hypodermics in there. I ran inside and put my hand under running water, squeezing at the wound to make it bleed more. Under the advice of my work colleagues, I then got my coat and went straight to A&E.

So we have a situation where we don't know the blood status of the person using the needles. We know the recipient of those needles were likely a drug addicts and that the needle could of been passed around between various people. We have to assume that whoever it was is HIV positive and has Hepatitis C and B.

The chances of me contracting HIV is around 3 percent which is pretty low. The punctures weren't deep and the viral load was low and it had been some hours in between use and penetrating my skin. Even so, I was faced with, do I want to start post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) treatment or not. Its important to know that if you think you could of contracted HIV, providing you start PEP treatment within 12 hours (the sooner the better) you drastically reduce the already small risk of getting HIV.

The treatment is cruel (I decided to take it). Its 30 days of feeling like siht and puking my guts up...though they do give you anti sickness meds too. I was sick for the first time tonight.

They will also take your bloods and shelve them. This is because when you are tested at a later date for HIV and Hep C, if you have a positive result, they will look at your bloods collected on the day it happened to make sure you weren't positive before the incident.

I had my first shot for Hep B yesterday and have another in 12 weeks and a final one in 24 weeks. They can't inoculate you against Hep C and so that one is now a waiting game.

I have protected myself against HIV and Hep B and I am going to have an utterly miserable Xmas and NY because of the anti-viral treatment but I consider its worth it. I have a husband so this isn't only about me. I'm scared and I keep bursting into tears and being unreasonable with Steve but that's not surprising. Like he says, I deserve to feel a little sorry for myself!

My message to you all is, when something like this happens its very frightening. It doesn't have to be a needle like it was with me, it could be random sex with a stranger when you've had too much to drink, it could be a drunken brawl where blood crosses from one person to another. What I'm saying is, don't take the risk, don't be embarrassed to go to A&E, they are honestly used to this sort of thing and they will want to help you.

IF you ever find yourself in my position, don't leave it, don't risk it, don't tell yourself that its nothing because there is a whole team out there who can stop you going on to get HIV and Hep B. DONT WAIT

Last edited by DemolitionRed; 22-12-2015 at 08:05 PM.
DemolitionRed is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 08:10 PM #2

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
I'm putting this in serious debate because it is serious, in fact its deadly serious.

Yesterday I did something stupid. Someone had dumped a load of rubbish in our backyard at work. I was out having a quick vape when some guys turned up to move it. I helped grab a couple of sacks to throw onto their truck but then noticed my hand was bleeding and on closer inspection, they looked like they could be needle puncture wounds.

We opened the packaging I'd handled and there were six dirty hypodermics in there. I ran inside and put my hand under running water, squeezing at the wound to make it bleed more. Under the advice of my work colleagues, I then got my coat and went straight to A&E.

So we have a situation where we don't know the blood status of the person using the needles. We know the recipient of those needles were likely a drug addicts and that the needle could of been passed around between various people. We have to assume that whoever it was is HIV positive and has Hepatitis C and B.

The chances of me contracting HIV is around 3 percent which is pretty low. The punctures weren't deep and the viral load was low and it had been some hours in between use and penetrating my skin. Even so, I was faced with, do I want to start post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) treatment or not. Its important to know that if you think you could of contracted HIV, providing you start PEP treatment within 12 hours (the sooner the better) you drastically reduce the already small risk of getting HIV.

The treatment is cruel (I decided to take it). Its 30 days of feeling like siht and puking my guts up...though they do give you anti sickness meds too. I was sick for the first time tonight.

They will also take your bloods and shelve them. This is because when you are tested at a later date for HIV and Hep C, if you have a positive result, they will look at your bloods collected on the day it happened to make sure you weren't positive before the incident.

I had my first shot for Hep B yesterday and have another in 12 weeks and a final one in 24 weeks. They can't inoculate you against Hep C and so that one is now a waiting game.

I have protected myself against HIV and Hep B and I am going to have an utterly miserable Xmas and NY because of the anti-viral treatment but I consider its worth it. I have a husband so this isn't only about me. I'm scared and I keep bursting into tears and being unreasonable with Steve but that's not surprising. Like he says, I deserve to feel a little sorry for myself!

My message to you all is, when something like this happens its very frightening. It doesn't have to be a needle like it was with me, it could be random sex with a stranger when you've had too much to drink, it could be a drunken brawl where blood crosses from one person to another. What I'm saying is, don't take the risk, don't be embarrassed to go to A&E, they are honestly used to this sort of thing and they will want to help you.

IF you ever find yourself in my position, don't leave it, don't risk it, don't tell yourself that its nothing because there is a whole team out there who can stop you going on to get HIV and Hep B. DONT WAIT
It goes without saying that we all hope you are okay DR.
Couldn't have happened at a worse time..not that there is ever a good time.
Hoping you can get some joy and peace over Christmas.
I am sure Steve understands what you will be going through and will be there very step of the way with you.
smudgie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 08:11 PM #3
His blood is bad.

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Kathryn
BBUSA20: Brett

His blood is bad.

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Kathryn
BBUSA20: Brett

Thanks for sharing this DR. HIV and Hepatitis are no joke. Hope everything is okay in the end

Last edited by Ramsay; 22-12-2015 at 08:11 PM.
Ramsay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 08:13 PM #4
iconic

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
BB19: Lewis F
iconic

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun

Hope you are okay. I agree with the sentiment here, you were wise to go to A&E straight away, because slightly less-than-preferable treatment is nowhere near as awful to deal with as HIV/AIDS would be if you let it amount to that. Stay safe ya'll.

Favourite housemates
if a series is excluded, then I haven't watched it or don't currently have a favourite.
Spoiler:

Favourite housemates (BBUK)
BB18: Chanelle
BB17: Jayne
BB16: Joel
BB15: Ashleigh
BB14: Gina
BB8: Charley
BB7: Nikki
BB6: Makosi

JoshBB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 08:22 PM #5
Banned

Banned

I hope everything goes well for you Red
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 08:26 PM #6
Namaste

Namaste

Oh I'm sorry to hear that. I hope everything turns out well and that you can still have a nice Christmas.
Lostie! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 08:53 PM #7
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

Oh scary, better to be safe with that treatment though, I'm sure you'll be fine

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 08:58 PM #8

Thank you all. The silly thing is, it could happen to any one of us. I'm more annoyed with myself for being careless.

One thing I've learnt from this is, there is good reason why bin men use wheelie bins and won't allow them to overflow!! The doctor told me yesterday that before wheelie bins, bin men regularly got needle stick injuries.

Although your words are much appreciated, I wanted to post this because I think a lot of people aren't aware of 'PEP' treatment and how it can stop the HIV virus dead in its tracks. Its something we should all know.
Old 22-12-2015, 09:03 PM #9

Hope everything works out Red....it's frightening how easy it is to be at risk. I hope the treatment isn't too hard on you
Old 23-12-2015, 04:04 AM #10

Yes I hope the tests
get you free DR

Poxy Needle Dumpers
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 08:26 AM #11

Favourites (more):
BB15: Chris
The Voice: Jermain Jackman

Favourites (more):
BB15: Chris
The Voice: Jermain Jackman

I'm sad that this happened to you DR and can try to imagine the horror and fear you must be going through.

I used to be a dental nurse and got stuck with a needle a few times, and the immediate worry i experienced was horrendous, what i was told then that i was at minimal risk because the needle hadn't gone into my vein/artery and that my stick injury wasn't deep (like a gaping wound), i was told to just encourage the stick injury to bleed (which is what you've done) and to then put on an anti-bacterial lotion, i've heard the PEP treatment is horrendous and that many nurses who get stuck either don't have the treatment (because it's so bad) or give up with the treatment (because it's so bad).

I'm sending you love and hugs
rubymoo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 09:01 AM #12

I'm very sorry to hear this DR and hope that all is well with you.
In Denmark and some other European countries there are metal containers in public restrooms and other places where addicts can deposit their used needles. Of course there will always be those arseholes who couldn't give a toss about anyone else anyway and will just ditch them wherever.
Hope you are feeling better soon and get the all clear.
jennyjuniper is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 09:01 AM #13
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

I hope that everything is okay DR.

It puts things into perspective about what I'm going to have to do when you're going through something that's much worse.

Out with extreme Politics on both sides of the divide.
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 10:50 AM #14
-

-

We (horribly) get needles found in the toilets fairly regularly, usually behind toilets or dumped in the cistern, I've advised other staff not to even think about trying to dispose of them but I know at least two that have picked them out themselves. Madness. I was once asked by out maintenance people on the phone when I phoned to report needles found, "can you not just put on rubber gloves and fish them out?". I politely told them where to go. Useless lazy ****ers. They specifically have a team for dealing with hazardous waste.

I think things have slightly. Improved in terms of risk in recent years because of needle exchanges, usually when we find needles we also find empty plastic packs that say "bloodsafe" or something on them, so the needles WERE clean before that one use - however, of course, you still have no idea what that one person might have.

HIV is thankfully not a very infectious virus (believe it or not) and the risk of infection from (non-anal) sex and even needle jabs (so long as the plunger isn't pushed) are relatively low. It's much higher obviously with needle sharing as they are actively injecting whatever fluid is in the needle into their bloodstream - and there may well be traces of infected blood inside the syringe. When it's just the metal needle itself piercing the skin, you have a much lower chance of any infected fluid actually leaving the syringe.

Still, it must be a terrifying experience DR. I also know if I was you, I would be incredibly angry that people - even drugged off their face - are willing to be so careless. I hope all is well and that the time passes quickly for you, as the waiting game must be a nightmare.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 11:44 AM #15

Omg DR that must have been so scary, I can't imagine I hope you're ok and it doesn't put too much of a dampener on your Christmas. Just think, as awful as it is for it to happen to you, it's a reminder I suppose that it's an everyday thing that some people live with, and how lucky we are even during bad times. I wish you all the best (and thanks for sharing, it really could happen to anyone and your advice to seek treatment immediately is spot on)

BBCAN: Erica | Will | Veronica | Johnny | Alejandra | Ryan | Paras
Jamie89 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 12:39 PM #16

Once again thank you all for showing such genuine concern.
ToySanta, you reiterated what the hospital told me. They were reassuring about HIV, not so much about Hep C but obviously I'll be having the appropriate tests when the times right. You area obviously quite savvy about this stuff.

I'm going to stay away from all forums for a couple of weeks because I'm emotionally irrational atm and I'm feeling pretty rough.

Thanks again all and see you soon xxx

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
hepatitis, hiv, the risk