Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 19-05-2017, 11:13 PM #101
Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieK View Post
Religion itself doesn't cause wars or hatred....People use their interpretation as reason to commit heinous acts. "God" or whatever deity people believe in become an excuse. Most people who believe in religion do so for the right reasons but there are exceptions in all religions who will use it to justify their own actions. Religion brings peace and comfort to many.
Excellent post
Old 20-05-2017, 01:19 AM #102

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
Two at least.
Three.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins
jaxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 01:24 AM #103

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostie! View Post

And by the same token, disproven. Not believing in it is all fine and well, actively lambasting and mocking people for believing in it (and using that to make unfair aspersions on their character) is something else entirely and nothing more than small-minded bigotry, something that people ironically like to exclusively blame religion for.

I think the same can be said for some anti-religious sentiments.
The only one who seems to be making unfair aspersions and name calling is you.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins
Old 20-05-2017, 01:27 AM #104

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Isn't what a make believe god? ... There is only one.
How can you know? No one has ever been able to produce any proof.

― Richard Dawkins
Old 20-05-2017, 09:30 AM #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxie View Post
Where did you hear there are?
I've got a lot of experience of living amongst Muslims. I used to live in Iran and so had plenty opportunity of seeing a woman's rights with my own eyes.

There are countries where majority Muslims are extremely hard on their women but there are countries where majority Muslims are not at all hard on their women. We can't or shouldn't put out blanket statements that its "all" Muslims.
Old 20-05-2017, 09:35 AM #106
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
How can you know? No one has ever been able to produce any proof.
Are you suggesting the Christian and Islamist gods are two separate entities?
Old 20-05-2017, 09:48 AM #107
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I think we're pretty quick to forget, though, that Christians / Westerners didn't treat women (or homosexuals, or ethnic minorities) all that differently less than a century ago... and really no differently at all 150 years ago (the whole thing, from rights, to how much flesh women were allowed to show). The entire world doesn't, and never has, progressed at a uniform rate. We move on, and then are outraged when the rest of the world - which has not had the same time nor opportunity to culturally develop - is not on exactly the same page at exactly the same time.

And that's without even going into the horrible reality that we currently seem to be majorly back-sliding.
I've highlighted the operative phrase. It's a backward thinking religion that treats women like second class citizens, sell off female children as brides, kill women they think offend the family etc. etc. etc...... and I don't want it spreading until they can address that.

Lumping Islam in with other religions that have evolved to be inclusive of women... even if that inclusion isn't perfect yet... is offensive. But then. religious people are allowed to be targeted because people who don't believe can't understand them.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 09:49 AM #108

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
I've got a lot of experience of living amongst Muslims. I used to live in Iran and so had plenty opportunity of seeing a woman's rights with my own eyes.
Salam! That's very interesting, how did you come to live in Iran and when were you there? How did you get along under Sharia law? A good friend of mine works as a journalist for an Iranian news organisation.

Quote:
There are countries where majority Muslims are extremely hard on their women but there are countries where majority Muslims are not at all hard on their women. We can't or shouldn't put out blanket statements that its "all" Muslims.
Saying a group of men are not hard on women doesn't really sound that confidence building to me. A not having someone be hard on them doesn't necessarily indicate that they have the same freedoms we enjoy.

― Richard Dawkins
Old 20-05-2017, 09:56 AM #109

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I've highlighted the operative phrase. It's a backward thinking religion that treats women like second class citizens, sell off female children as brides, kill women they think offend the family etc. etc. etc...... and I don't want it spreading until they can address that.

Lumping Islam in with other religions that have evolved to be inclusive of women... even if that inclusion isn't perfect yet... is offensive. But then. religious people are allowed to be targeted because people who don't believe can't understand them.
I think for me the problem is more about religion creating rules for people to live by, often rules that include what amounts to child trafficking, cruelty, abuse, leaving women stuck in miserable lives with no recourse to escape, as you mention in your first para. Many religions seem to think that we have not progressed a thousand years and do not belong in the modern world.

Where religion doesn't interfere and gives comfort and attempts to modernise then it isn't an issue though I agree I do not particularly understand faith.

― Richard Dawkins

Last edited by jaxie; 20-05-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Old 20-05-2017, 10:08 AM #110
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post

You do realise this is an Islamophobic comment don't you? Every religion has it's fundamentalists, even yours.

Again here we have the premise that if you are not religious you are a non believer which is totally wrong.

Last edited by Kizzy; 20-05-2017 at 10:11 AM.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 10:10 AM #111
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Are you suggesting the Christian and Islamist gods are two separate entities?
Supporters of Islam do.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 10:12 AM #112
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Supporters of Islam do.
That's not what I asked... And how do you know this?
Old 20-05-2017, 10:13 AM #113
User banned

User banned

Quote:
You do realise this is an Islamophobic comment don't you? Every religion has it's fundamentalists, even yours.
An belief/idea is not a fact and therefore open to criticism. Stop trying to close down criticism of dictorial religions. It is not your right to do so.
Old 20-05-2017, 10:13 AM #114
User banned

User banned

Quote:
That's not what I asked... And how do you know this?
They shout it often enough.
Old 20-05-2017, 10:14 AM #115

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:

Again here we have the premise that if you are not religious you are a non believer which is totally wrong.
How is that an islamaphobic comment? Livia has a faith, she is speaking about the attitudes of non believers to those of faith. I think you owe her an apology.

― Richard Dawkins
Old 20-05-2017, 10:14 AM #116

Quote:
Salam! That's very interesting, how did you come to live in Iran and when were you there? How did you get along under Sharia law? A good friend of mine works as a journalist for an Iranian news organisation.

Saying a group of men are not hard on women doesn't really sound that confidence building to me. A not having someone be hard on them doesn't necessarily indicate that they have the same freedoms we enjoy.
I married an Iranian and lived for a while in Masuleh. Our first son was born in Iran. My husband wasn't Muslim, he was a Christian but that didn't stop our Muslim friends making us welcome in their home. Most of them were Muslim by name only. They drank alcohol and smoked. The only fanatics I met were more of a nuisance to everyone than anything else but then we didn't live in Tehran which is a very different kettle of fish.

The women in Iran don't have the same freedoms we have in the West because they have a religious government who put huge restrictions on women. Most Iranian women living in France and the UK don't cover or abide by all that religious bollocks inflicted on them by state rule in their own land and their husbands are happy for them to have that freedom.

So what news organization is it? I follow Iranian news regularly for obvious reasons.
Old 20-05-2017, 10:16 AM #117
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
An belief/idea is not a fact and therefore open to criticism. Stop trying to close down criticism of dictorial religions. It is not your right to do so.

This is a debate forum, I have every right to speak as I find. You are under no obligation to respond.
Old 20-05-2017, 10:19 AM #118
User banned

User banned

Quote:
I married an Iranian and lived for a while in Masuleh. Our first son was born in Iran. My husband wasn't Muslim, he was a Christian but that didn't stop our Muslim friends making us welcome in their home. Most of them were Muslim by name only. They drank alcohol and smoked. The only fanatics I met were more of a nuisance to everyone than anything else but then we didn't live in Tehran which is a very different kettle of fish.

The women in Iran don't have the same freedoms we have in the West because they have a religious government who put huge restrictions on women. Most Iranian women living in France and the UK don't cover or abide by all that religious bollocks inflicted on them by state rule in their own land and their husbands are happy for them to have that freedom.

So what news organization is it? I follow Iranian news regularly for obvious reasons.
I'm not trying to be argumentative here but what if their husbands were not happy for them to have that freedom - isn't that the crux of the matter?
Old 20-05-2017, 10:25 AM #119
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
How is that an islamaphobic comment? Livia has a faith, she is speaking about the attitudes of non believers to those of faith. I think you owe her an apology.
I'm sure that is obvious to most, if Livia requires clarification I'm sure she'll ask. You needed police my comments.

It is based on an assumption that non religious are also non believers, no apology is necessary.
Old 20-05-2017, 10:28 AM #120

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:

It sounds quite liberal. My friend tells me people in Iran are very friendly though many a time has sat in a hot place having dinner with couples where the men can roll up their shirt sleeves and the women aren't allowed to take off their jackets so have to sit and sweat but that could very well be a rule of the restaurant or the husbands involved, I've no way of knowing, just passing on what I was told.

But if it is more liberal than we think why did they arrest the young people who made the video to Pharrell Williams's "Happy"? It looks pretty harmless to me. Seems a bit strange. I wonder actually what happened to them.

Posted because it's joyful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg5qdIxVcz8

Oh I'm not going to quote where my friend works without her permission, it's not really relevant beyond saying she works as a journalist for an Iranian news organisation.

― Richard Dawkins

Last edited by jaxie; 20-05-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 20-05-2017, 10:33 AM #121
-

-

Quote:
I'm not trying to be argumentative here but what if their husbands were not happy for them to have that freedom - isn't that the crux of the matter?
That's a totally meaningless statement though? What if they WERE happy for them to have that freedom? As many definitely are?

You just assume that all Muslim husbands want their wives controlled because you have a cartoon character image in your head of over a billion people.

Are you genuinely unaware that there are still plenty of Christian men who feel that the woman's place is in the home, etc etc? This was a pretty common view 50/60 years ago and a HUGE number of the older generation believe it to this day. The whole idea of "The Man Of The House" is far from gone from western mindsets.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 10:44 AM #122
User banned

User banned

Quote:
That's a totally meaningless statement though? What if they WERE happy for them to have that freedom? As many definitely are?

You just assume that all Muslim husbands want their wives controlled because you have a cartoon character image in your head of over a billion people.

Are you genuinely unaware that there are still plenty of Christian men who feel that the woman's place is in the home, etc etc? This was a pretty common view 50/60 years ago and a HUGE number of the older generation believe it to this day. The whole idea of "The Man Of The House" is far from gone from western mindsets.
Of course I'm aware of that - I'm a woman I have lived it but for many women it feels like such attitudes are here again with this religion constantly trying to challenge our place in the world. In the modern world these kind of 'beliefs' aren't tolerated with racism and homosexuality and shouldn't be tolerated with sexism.

It's like a black cloud of discrimination against women descending once again.

Last edited by Brillopad; 20-05-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Old 20-05-2017, 10:48 AM #123

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:

That's quite true, and don't get me started on the Roman Catholic's or we will be here all day. Though they don't actually make them cover up from head to foot and maintain they are meant to cast down their eyes as well to their feet.

I should also add I have nothing against individual Catholics, brown, green, purple or not, before you start implying.

― Richard Dawkins
Old 20-05-2017, 10:48 AM #124
-

-

Quote:
It has in general but for many women it feels like such attitudes are here again with this religion constantly trying to challenge our place in the world. These kind of 'beliefs' aren't tolerated with racism and homosexuality and shouldn't be tolerated with sexism.

It's like a black cloud of discrimination against women descending once again.
This has absolutely nothing to do with Islam and everything to do with the backlash against feminism from western people. Trump voting, Brexit craving, wish-it-was-still-like-the-old-days fish 'n' chips regressionists desperately trying to drag us all back to the union jack waving 50's.

Well guess what.

Women were still second class citizens in the 50's.

Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 10:53 AM #125
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
That's quite true, and don't get me started on the Roman Catholic's or we will be here all day. Though they don't actually make them cover up from head to foot and maintain they are meant to cast down their eyes as well to their feet.

I should also add I have nothing against individual Catholics, brown, green, purple or not, before you start implying.
'Currently, 62 percent of Slovakia's 5.4 million population are declared Roman Catholics.'

From the article in the OP... what was that about repressing women?

Last edited by Kizzy; 20-05-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
islam, preventing, religion, state