Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 20-08-2017, 01:39 PM #1
You know my methods

You know my methods

Default ANTIFA - what do you make of it?

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/...o-know-w498420

According to The Economist, the "word Antifa has its roots in Anti-Fascist Action, a name taken up by European political movements in the 1930s" which was revived in the 1990s, particularly in Germany. Peter Beinart writes that "in the late ’80s, left-wing punk fans in the United States began following suit, though they initially called their groups Anti-Racist Action, on the theory that Americans would be more familiar with fighting racism than fascism." Antifa groups are known for militant protest tactics, including property damage and sometimes physical violence. Antifa focuses more on fighting far-right ideology than encouraging pro-left policy (WIKI)

-------
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 01:42 PM #2
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/...o-know-w498420

According to The Economist, the "word Antifa has its roots in Anti-Fascist Action, a name taken up by European political movements in the 1930s" which was revived in the 1990s, particularly in Germany. Peter Beinart writes that "in the late ’80s, left-wing punk fans in the United States began following suit, though they initially called their groups Anti-Racist Action, on the theory that Americans would be more familiar with fighting racism than fascism." Antifa groups are known for militant protest tactics, including property damage and sometimes physical violence. Antifa focuses more on fighting far-right ideology than encouraging pro-left policy (WIKI)

-------
Fascists! And hypocrites!

Last edited by Brillopad; 20-08-2017 at 01:44 PM.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 01:49 PM #3
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

They hide their faces, attack people they disagree with, and use violence to stifle free speech ... whatever else they are, they can't say they're against fascism.

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 01:54 PM #4
Banned

Banned

The 'Alt Left' As Trump would have you believe is basically just a creation from right wingers that are unable to bring themselves to criticise the extreme elements of the Right and, in turn, attempt to validate them by saying 'look over there!'

I dislike anyone that cannot protest peacefully since it undercuts the message they are trying to portray. Trying to wake people up to the fascism that's growing in the US won't work if these splinter groups are going around destroying property and committing violence.

The idea of the right trying to blame them for what happened in Charlottesville is beyond vile however because it's essentially defending Neo Nazis to do so. The Right need to disown the extreme elements, not become defensive and inadvertently defend them in turn.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 01:59 PM #5
You know my methods

You know my methods

"The antifa crowd has a very similar agenda with regard to traditional American liberalism. These goons and thugs oppose free speech, celebrate violence, despise dissent and have little use for anything else in the American political tradition. But many liberals, particularly in the media, are victims of the same kind of confusion that vexed so much of American liberalism in the 20th century. Because antifa suddenly has the (alt-)right enemies, they must be the good guys. They’re not."

http://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/a...y-11882595.php

Interesting short article here ^^
Old 20-08-2017, 02:04 PM #6
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

They don't really have anything to fight against, as there is no fascism anywhere near power in the West.

Old 20-08-2017, 02:41 PM #7

Favourites (more):
CBB20: Chad Johnson
BB14: Dexter

Favourites (more):
CBB20: Chad Johnson
BB14: Dexter

Was at a Anti-Trump protest where I live late last year, (I wasnt there protesting against him I was there to put a few questions forward to the local labour MP with a few others about why they are protesting against Trump's visit to the UK when Obama has commited hideous crimes and has blood on his hands, we actually got pretty good press and the local paper said something like " the trump protesters didn't have it all their own way as a group as a pro trump group made their voices heard " we had a couple of Muslim girls interview my friend who studies politics at Uni at the end of the protest and agreed with a lot of our points regarding Obama + border control reasons and their was also only a couple of police man there but they didn't stop either side voicing opinions which is what it's all about at the end of the day, was pretty healthy.

We were outnumbered like 200-20, I don't think Antifa would have been so tolerant of our " Build that Wall " or " Obama 20,000 bombs " chant that night though, would have had to retreat into the River Dee before they twatted us with their plastic drums

"She was left for dead on the sands of Tatooine, as was I. But fate sometimes steps in to rescue the wretched."
Novo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 03:52 PM #8

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):

The extreme elements on both sides are twats.Usually out for a good old scrap and the rush of mock warfare.Not dissimilar to football hooligans.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 07:15 PM #9
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
The extreme elements on both sides are twats.Usually out for a good old scrap and the rush of mock warfare.Not dissimilar to football hooligans.
This is an thought process that I really don't have time for. Saying 'Well both sides are to blame!' is just ignoring the facts kind of like how Americans ignored the facts of the last election with that painfully ignorant attitude of 'well, they've both as bad as each other!' No, they weren't and that's being proven every day that angry OAP/Toddler hybrid is in office.

The Neo Nazis that went on an armed 'protest' are to blame for what happened there, who the **** arms themselves for a peaceful protest? They were looking for a fight and they created one and then one of them committed an act of terrorism. This isn't the fault of the left, this is exclusively the fault of Neo Nazis and the Right Wingers that legitimised them by refusing to denounce them.
Old 20-08-2017, 07:47 PM #10

The point is this, the far right are marching along with swastika flags and making Hitler salutes. They may have been protesting about a statue being removed; they may have even wanted a peaceful protest but just their mere presence is enough to incite anger in those who strongly disagree with their cause. The local issue (the statue) is overshadowed by their history and support of violence and murder to people of color and certain race, in particular, black African Americans, Muslims, and Jews.

The far-right say they want the right to express their hatred towards certain minority groups, the anti-right are saying, we won't allow you that right and I agree with them. I ask you, would it be okay for groups march against fat women? would it be okay for people to march against the disabled or the elderly? That may sound like a ridiculous comparison... I mean, such a thing would be cruel and inhuman.

When the anti-right march against race and color, they are being cruel, they are being inhuman and if you don't agree with that, then you have to question your own morals.
Old 20-08-2017, 08:22 PM #11
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Violence begets violence. Antifa pride themselves on violently confronting the right wing and they encourage a cycle of political violence by doing so
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 08:33 PM #12

Favourites (more):
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
CBB18: Renee Graziano

Favourites (more):
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
CBB18: Renee Graziano

nasty violent children
RichardG is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 08:39 PM #13
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
This is an thought process that I really don't have time for. Saying 'Well both sides are to blame!' is just ignoring the facts kind of like how Americans ignored the facts of the last election with that painfully ignorant attitude of 'well, they've both as bad as each other!' No, they weren't and that's being proven every day that angry OAP/Toddler hybrid is in office.

The Neo Nazis that went on an armed 'protest' are to blame for what happened there, who the **** arms themselves for a peaceful protest? They were looking for a fight and they created one and then one of them committed an act of terrorism. This isn't the fault of the left, this is exclusively the fault of Neo Nazis and the Right Wingers that legitimised them by refusing to denounce them.
And what about the AntiFa who attacked the free speech rally a couple of months back? The attendees to that were unarmed, but the protestors went with gas and weapons, specifically to disrupt it. Same with the Milo speech in Berkeley.

The Nazis were in the wrong that time, and AntiFa are in the wrong every time they "protest"

Last edited by Oliver_W; 20-08-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 20-08-2017, 08:50 PM #14
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
And what about the AntiFa who attacked the free speech rally a couple of months back? The attendees to that were unarmed, but the protestors went with gas and weapons, specifically to disrupt it. Same with the Milo speech in Berkeley.
Pray tell, what does that have to do with what happened in Charlottesville? I'm so tired of people excusing Neo Nazis by bringing up unrelated incidents comitted by stupid ****ing idiots as justification for what happened.

Do you consider yourself Right Wing? If so, do you believe the armed Neo Nazi march and the subsequent terror attack represents the Right? If not then why endorse what essentially looks like a defense of Nazis by pointing blame at the Left instead of where it truly lies? With the ****ing Neo Nazis?! They probably aren't representative of what you believe so why do it?

I consider myself Left and I don't endorse Antifa (a bad comparison given that Neo Nazis were, and are now again with this attack, terrorists while Antifa are a bunch of moronic thugs) so why are so many Right Wingers refusing to denounce what happened in Charlottesville and the Neo Nazis involved?
Old 20-08-2017, 08:55 PM #15
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:

Who did not denounce them and why?

Can you provide names?
Old 20-08-2017, 09:20 PM #16
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

They're a mirror creation of the Alt Right, a response. With no Alt Right, there'd be no Antifa, they exist because the Alt Right movement came about.
Old 20-08-2017, 10:00 PM #17

"I dislike anyone that cannot protest peacefully since it undercuts the message they are trying to portray."

I agree
YOUNG DEZZY
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 10:03 PM #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
Violence begets violence. Antifa pride themselves on violently confronting the right wing and they encourage a cycle of political violence by doing so

BANG ON RIGHT
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 10:04 PM #19
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
They're a mirror creation of the Alt Right, a response. With no Alt Right, there'd be no Antifa, they exist because the Alt Right movement came about.
Antifa have existed way before anyone had even heard the term 'alt right' though
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 10:17 PM #20
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB19: Sian

they are just another group of extremists. There will always be some reason for such groups to get together and cause a bit of anarchy, the cause is less important than the action

Last edited by bitontheslide; 20-08-2017 at 10:17 PM.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 10:40 PM #21

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:

Just because the far right/KKK/Nazis = bad that doesn't automatically mean
The far left/militant anarchists = good.
They are violent militant extremist thugs.They also go on marches tooled up with weapons destroying property and assaulting people.
They've been causing chaos,pain and destruction a long time before Charlottesville happened but nobody gets to hear about it on mainstream media.
So yes when i see them in action i think they are twats just as i do when i see the far right idiots parading around with Nazi flags or stupid pointy hats.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 10:53 PM #22
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

It's odd, if anyone on the left want change by peaceful processes they are mocked as being hippy, lefty, sjws scoffed at for thier marches, banners, sit-ins, petitions and so on...yet the minute there is a sniff of violence they are accused of fascism! :/

It's a joke, a sick sick joke and the lead by the noses are sucking it up
Old 20-08-2017, 11:59 PM #23
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
Antifa have existed way before anyone had even heard the term 'alt right' though
Indeed, but they're grown exponentially lately.
Old 21-08-2017, 01:31 AM #24

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Kiefer
RPDR UK 2: Ginny Lemon

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Kiefer
RPDR UK 2: Ginny Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
The Nazis were in the wrong that time, and AntiFa are in the wrong every time they "protest"
So you're saying that there's times when 'The Nazis' aren't in the wrong ?

Last edited by JTM45; 21-08-2017 at 01:31 AM.
JTM45 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 05:04 AM #25
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):
CBB9: Karissa & Kristina Shannon
BB13 USA: Rachel
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):
CBB9: Karissa & Kristina Shannon
BB13 USA: Rachel

They are Communist thugs. Should be immediately deported to North Korea to get a lesson in what their beliefs will ultimately lead to.
Liberty4eva is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
antifa, make