Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:39 PM #1
Like a fine whiskey

Favourites:
CBB2024: Marisha Wallace
BB2023: Yinrun

Like a fine whiskey

Favourites:

Exclamation England: A weak nation?

While travelling I came across many people from other countries and many of who said that England was a weak nation as we are cowardly, let other nations walk all over us, cannot stand up for ourselves and that we are generally a laughable nation.

Do you agree with this?

It's never too late to be who you once could have been...

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN

Anyway there's an explanation and I don't really appreciate your tone. It's very aggressive so I'm going to close this, sorry for killing the internet mate

Benjamin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:45 PM #2
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

I think it's time to stop thinking we're this great world power that we might have been a century ago if I'm honest, I'd prefer if we started to keep out of other countries affairs instead of taking it upon ourselves to be the moral police in the world. I wouldnt say we're unable to defend ourselves though, we're one of the only countries with nuclear weapons for a start

Last edited by MTVN; 07-03-2011 at 02:45 PM.
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:57 PM #3
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

-waits for LostAlex to say something obnoxious and condescending-

The scars on my mind are on replay
Smithy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:02 PM #4
R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Patsy Kensit
Apprentice 2014: Roisin

R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Patsy Kensit
Apprentice 2014: Roisin

It seems we are yeah. We'd get killed if we got into a war on our own or somebody actually invaded us. We'd always need America to step in.

Plus we waste loads on other wars and give aid to countries to keep up this outer image that we're a decent country.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:03 PM #5
Banned

Favourites (more):
BB13 USA: Rachel
UBB: Brian

Banned

Favourites (more):
BB13 USA: Rachel
UBB: Brian

Very Weak, infact, pathetic.
Ireland, Scotland and Wales are the only countries I can think of that are more pathetic.
ILoveTRW is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:05 PM #6
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

if they said that we sucked as a football team then i would agree with them.

and i think every country has parts where they are cowardly,so its a bit stupid to point out us.

KRO!
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:24 PM #7

Favourites (more):
CBB20: Chad Johnson
BB14: Dexter

Favourites (more):
BB14: Dexter

One of the strongest Nations.. how many countries are actually in a better situation then us?

"She was left for dead on the sands of Tatooine, as was I. But fate sometimes steps in to rescue the wretched."
Novo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:27 PM #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukturtle View Post
While travelling I came across many people from other countries and many of who said that England was a weak nation as we are cowardly, let other nations walk all over us, cannot stand up for ourselves and that we are generally a laughable nation.

Do you agree with this?

No I do not.

The Cowards are the Yanks that Carpet Bombed Public
in Iraq,
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:31 PM #9
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

We are hardly weak, we have the second largest navy in the world, we have soldiers in almost every part of the world, sorting out other countries problems, we're keeping ourselves afloat during the financial crisis unlike other countries across the world. Not bad for an island nation.

Last edited by Scarlett.; 07-03-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Scarlett. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:24 PM #10
Account Vacant

Account Vacant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
We are hardly weak, we have the second largest navy in the world, we have soldiers in almost every part of the world, sorting out other countries problems, we're keeping ourselves afloat during the financial crisis unlike other countries across the world. Not bad for an island nation.
2nd largest in NATO to the US. There are several countries outside of NATO with larger navies, Russia, Japan, France and China spring to mind. India could also give us a run after recent defence cuts.

However if you mean powerful again third to US and Russia, chinese nuclear strike vessels are still some way behind
Shasown is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:15 PM #11

We have had things so good for so long we take it for granted and have become a spoilt nation that moans about the littlest thing.
Instead of being proud of what we have got brits seem to concentrate on any negative they can find. Compared to most countrys we have a hell of a lot to be proud of but dont seem to see it.
If we are so weak why does half the world want to live here?

Last edited by billy123; 07-03-2011 at 08:18 PM.
billy123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:54 PM #12

We may be quite strong from a military point of view but sadly as a nation we are weak in the head........Or to be more pecise our leaders no matter what party are weak in the head......

Brave people have died in two world wars to save the culture of the nation they faught for..........Only for the nations culture to be sabotaged by multi culturism complements of our treacherous leaders over a period of decades.

Multi racism can work. No reason race differences alone should make any difference. Multi culturism however destroys the the basic culture of the host country to the point it has no personal culture therefore has no personal identity therefore is weak in the head like those responsible for allowing it to happen........

If ever there were to be another world war based on east against the west.....This country and indeed all countries that have secumbed to multiculturism would be faced with multiple 5th columns that would be insurmountable and bring about the total destruction of the multi cultural countries....

The future is bleak..........For sooner or later such a war will emerge......
bananarama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:38 PM #13
Nothing in excess

Nothing in excess

We probably have the weakest politicians in the world. Not that dishonesty and lack of integrity don't come with the job description, but I look at the vast majority of British politicians and think 'Christ, grow a pair!' or 'Come back Ann Widdecombe, all is forgiven'. One or the other.
No matter that they act like senile 12-year-olds on the Today programme website - smoking illegal fags to look tough and cool. No matter that Amis coins truly abominable terms like 'the age of horrorism' and when criticised tells people to 'fuck off'. Surely we all chuckle at the strenuous ennui of his salon drawl. Didn't he once accidentally sneer his face off?
- Chris Morris - The Absurd World of Martin Amis

BB_Eye is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:58 PM #14
It's lacroix darling

Favourites (more):
BB12: Heaven
UBB: Makosi

It's lacroix darling

Favourites (more):
BB12: Heaven
UBB: Makosi

I don't think Britain should really think of itself so highly anymore. We are a world power no longer - that time passed long ago. And I don't really think we let other nations walk all over us. :/

Militarily though I do think that we are quite strong as we have our nuclear defences and strong military. We also have the 3rd highest military expenditure in the world so I don't think out defences are that weak.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:08 AM #15
User tanned

Favourites:
BB11: Corin
X Factor 2010: Rebecca Ferguson

User tanned

Favourites:
BB11: Corin
X Factor 2010: Rebecca Ferguson

Quote:

Do you agree with this?
no

cannot stand up for ourselves? yeah thats why we haven't lost a war in the past 100 years.
Zippy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:36 AM #16

Favourites (more):
CBB18: Stephen Bear

Favourites (more):
CBB18: Stephen Bear

The Labour Party has ruined England. Everything wrong with Albion is due to the hated Labour Party.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:57 AM #17
Z

Z

I don't know if this is meant in a military sense or not... I think England suffers from a lack of national identity; whereas the other nations in the United Kingdom, if nothing else, can at least unite against England when it comes to sporting events in a sort of pantomime way. There's a very distinct national identity in Scotland, for example, the kilt, whisky, Irn Bru, being ginger, Flower Of Scotland, ceilidhs... I don't know much about England really, but I've just never gotten the impression that there are any equivalents to that. So in that sense, I'd say England is a weak nation, there's no cultural identity there for people to be attached to or be proud of.
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:59 AM #18
Account Vacant

Account Vacant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall View Post
I don't think Britain should really think of itself so highly anymore. We are a world power no longer - that time passed long ago. And I don't really think we let other nations walk all over us. :/

Militarily though I do think that we are quite strong as we have our nuclear defences and strong military. We also have the 3rd highest military expenditure in the world so I don't think out defences are that weak.
We may have the 3rd highest expenditure, but we dont exactly get value for money for what is spent. Take the recent announcements that the MOD were buying lightbulbs that cost 65p on the High Street for the princely sum of Ł22 each.
http://www.politicshome.com/uk/story/14713/

Or because the project had already gone dramatically over budget and the In Service date was likely to be put back yet again. The MOD decided just to scrap the Nimrod MRA4 project, having already spent over Ł3.6bn on it. Leaving the UK reliant on other countries for Maritime Reconnaisance and Airborne Control Systems.

Then instead of retro fitting the airframes with older equipment and selling the aircraft overseas to recoup some of the loss. Simply destroyed the airframes by bulldozer. On top of which Bae are seeking compensation for the closure of the Woodford works which was solely reliant on that contract.

Its a shame that most of the money that is thrown at the MOD isnt spent where its needed most - at the sharp end.

http://video.news.sky.com/skynews/Ho...ds_To_Taxpayer
Old 08-03-2011, 12:04 PM #19

Quote:

Do you agree with this?
I agree. But some people still have a chip on their shoulder on what happened many years ago about England "taken over" other countries.

These people need to get over themselves. And the UK needs to shape itself up BIG TIME. The main problem in this country is over population. Well.. just stop bloody immigrants coming in! I am not racist at all. I like it that we have a metropolitain country but there is not enough room for everyone just to live here!

Thank God David Cameron is PM because I think he is meant to be sorting this immigraton thing out.

In America you can't just be a resident and live there..

The UK is tiny in comparison to most other countries!!

I think us.. as the UK are scared to be honest. Scared to put our foot down. There needs to be less lenient sentences in the justice system.. STOP PUSSY FOOTING AROUND. And less immigrants.

An immigrant at my work says he is applying for a council house. But he already lives in a house :S Mmm.
Beastie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:07 PM #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnot View Post
We have had things so good for so long we take it for granted and have become a spoilt nation that moans about the littlest thing.
Instead of being proud of what we have got brits seem to concentrate on any negative they can find. Compared to most countrys we have a hell of a lot to be proud of but dont seem to see it.
If we are so weak why does half the world want to live here?
This. The only thing I am complaining about is the 2 main things I have mentioned. Mainly an overcrowded population. Due to too many immigrants coming in or too many unwanted babies. This all needs to stop!
Old 08-03-2011, 12:31 PM #21
Account Vacant

Account Vacant

Quote:
Originally Posted by karezza View Post
The Labour Party has ruined England. Everything wrong with Albion is due to the hated Labour Party.
How conveniently you forget:

UK Parliament ratified the European Convention on Human Rights 1951, with it coming into force in 1953, both under Winston Churchill (Conservative)

1962 Britain applied for the first time to join the European Economic Community under Harold MacMillan (Conservative) France vetoed the application.

1973 Britain entered the EEC under Prime Minister Edward Heath (Conservative)

The Treaty of Maastricht signed (1992) and ratified (1993) under John Major (Conservative)
Old 08-03-2011, 05:02 PM #22
Nothing in excess

Nothing in excess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
I agree. But some people still have a chip on their shoulder on what happened many years ago about England "taken over" other countries.

These people need to get over themselves. And the UK needs to shape itself up BIG TIME. The main problem in this country is over population. Well.. just stop bloody immigrants coming in! I am not racist at all. I like it that we have a metropolitain country but there is not enough room for everyone just to live here!P
The situation is more complex than that. For every resident of the UK, there is over an entire acre of land area. The vast majority of it consists of uninhabited agricultural land with unspoilt wilderness coming a distant second. Villages, towns and cities barely make up 9% of the UK's landmass due to archaic laws that make it extremely difficult buy land. Hence the ridiculously high property prices in places like London.

Quote:
Thank God David Cameron is PM because I think he is meant to be sorting this immigraton thing out.
Good luck with that. Cameron is a complete doormat where foreign policy is concerned, particularly in Europe, where most of our immigrants come from, whether from home in Poland or or dumped on Britain from French refugee camps.

Quote:
In America you can't just be a resident and live there..

The UK is tiny in comparison to most other countries!!

I think us.. as the UK are scared to be honest. Scared to put our foot down. There needs to be less lenient sentences in the justice system.. STOP PUSSY FOOTING AROUND. And less immigrants.

An immigrant at my work says he is applying for a council house. But he already lives in a house :S Mmm.
No matter that they act like senile 12-year-olds on the Today programme website - smoking illegal fags to look tough and cool. No matter that Amis coins truly abominable terms like 'the age of horrorism' and when criticised tells people to 'fuck off'. Surely we all chuckle at the strenuous ennui of his salon drawl. Didn't he once accidentally sneer his face off?
- Chris Morris - The Absurd World of Martin Amis

Last edited by BB_Eye; 08-03-2011 at 05:03 PM.
BB_Eye is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:21 PM #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_Eye View Post
The situation is more complex than that. For every resident of the UK, there is over an entire acre of land area. The vast majority of it consists of uninhabited agricultural land with unspoilt wilderness coming a distant second. Villages, towns and cities barely make up 9% of the UK's landmass due to archaic laws that make it extremely difficult buy land. Hence the ridiculously high property prices in places like London.

Good luck with that. Cameron is a complete doormat where foreign policy is concerned, particularly in Europe, where most of our immigrants come from, whether from home in Poland or or dumped on Britain from French refugee camps.

Piss taker.

Other counties have to be made more accessible. And the UK has to become a lot more stricter like other countries to scare off immigrants coming here!
Old 10-03-2011, 06:52 PM #24
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
I don't know if this is meant in a military sense or not... I think England suffers from a lack of national identity; whereas the other nations in the United Kingdom, if nothing else, can at least unite against England when it comes to sporting events in a sort of pantomime way. There's a very distinct national identity in Scotland, for example, the kilt, whisky, Irn Bru, being ginger, Flower Of Scotland, ceilidhs... I don't know much about England really, but I've just never gotten the impression that there are any equivalents to that. So in that sense, I'd say England is a weak nation, there's no cultural identity there for people to be attached to or be proud of.
England his a rich culture and national identity. Just because they don't feel the need for a fancy dress costume doesn't mean they are weak and without identity. England has a very rich heritage of language and literature for example, which doesn't include the word "gotten".

This is kind of an insulting thread. Everyone should be proud of their culture, wherever they come from, without people calling them weak. There's a lot of hate vented towards England by the other nations of the UK for stuff that happened lifetimes ago. That hate just isn't returned by the English. They just keep paying the lion's share of the bills, quietly and without much moaning. For the time being, at least.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:05 PM #25
Like a fine whiskey

Favourites:

Like a fine whiskey

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
England his a rich culture and national identity. Just because they don't feel the need for a fancy dress costume doesn't mean they are weak and without identity. England has a very rich heritage of language and literature for example, which doesn't include the word "gotten".

This is kind of an insulting thread. Everyone should be proud of their culture, wherever they come from, without people calling them weak. There's a lot of hate vented towards England by the other nations of the UK for stuff that happened lifetimes ago. That hate just isn't returned by the English. They just keep paying the lion's share of the bills, quietly and without much moaning. For the time being, at least.
This thread isn't designed to be insulting, it's how some people around the world see us.

It's never too late to be who you once could have been...

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN

Anyway there's an explanation and I don't really appreciate your tone. It's very aggressive so I'm going to close this, sorry for killing the internet mate

Benjamin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
england, nation, weak