Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

View Poll Results: Was the Big Man right or wrong to throw the boy off the train?
Right 23 56.10%
Right
23 56.10%
Wrong 18 43.90%
Wrong
18 43.90%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14-12-2011, 07:57 PM #401
R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Patsy Kensit
Apprentice 2014: Roisin

R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Patsy Kensit
Apprentice 2014: Roisin

Is it just me or do things keep getting deleted from here? :S
Old 14-12-2011, 08:08 PM #402
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
He did consent, you said it yourself Pyramid.

In your own words you said that he consented to the fat yob assaulting the teenager.

As for me 'changing stance' I've been blaming the conductor for ages, do keep up Pyramid. Maybe if you read people's posts in full instead of ignoring points you can't win against you wouldn't slip up so much.

Please show me where I have said that anyone gave anyone consent to assault. Show me those exact words that I have used in any of my posts......

How about you taking some of your own advice: and read what people actually type: and not what you somehow manage to twist that to meaning. If you are unable to correctly read what is written, it may be best you do not quote posts at all, because as it is, you are making thing up as you go along.

Last edited by Pyramid*; 14-12-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Pyramid* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 08:18 PM #403
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
Please show me where I have said that anyone gave anyone consent to assault. Show me those exact words that I have used in any of my posts......

How about you taking some of your own advice: and read what people actually type: and not what you somehow manage to twist that to meaning. If you are unable to correctly read what is written, it may be best you do not quote posts at all, because as it is, you are making thing up as you go along.
You said yourself the the conductor gave him the OK, the fat man then proceeded to assault the teenager. I've quoted you saying this, it doesn't matter if it's not the exact wording as 'consented to the assault' since the meaning is still the same. Even at your most pedantic you can't argue with that.

You see I actually read your posts and more often then not you are your own worst enemy since you are constantly contradicting yourself. I could actually use half of your own posts to argue against you.

Also I can't twist anyone's words if it's original meaning is there for everyone to see. Twisting what people say is a classic Pyramid move my dear and no amount of painfully obvious deflection will make anyone see different.

You now have my permission to start backpedalling as fast as you can.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 08:28 PM #404
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
You said yourself the the conductor gave him the OK, the fat man then proceeded to assault the teenager. I've quoted you saying this, it doesn't matter if it's not the exact wording as 'consented to the assault' since the meaning is still the same. Even at your most pedantic you can't argue with that.

You see I actually read your posts and more often then not you are your own worst enemy since you are constantly contradicting yourself. I could actually use half of your own posts to argue against you.

Also I can't twist anyone's words if it's original meaning is there for everyone to see. Twisting what people say is a classic Pyramid move my dear and no amount of painfully obvious deflection will make anyone see different.

You now have my permission to start backpedalling as fast as you can.
Your comment was

Quote:
In your own words you said that he consented to the fat yob assaulting the teenager.
Quote:
I'll ask again, very simply.

Show me where I SAID IN MY VERY OWN WORDS..... and not your version of them - that the conductor consented to the fat yob assaulting the teenager.

Those are YOUR words, not mine.

I think you may be in danger here of making yourself look more than a little foolish here Dezzy. Unless of course: you can actually provide me with a direct quote of mine, one which has not been amended and filled in with your own version.

Last edited by Pyramid*; 14-12-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 14-12-2011, 08:32 PM #405
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

I believe it's called paraphrasing Pyramid
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 08:37 PM #406
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
I believe it's called paraphrasing Pyramid
Perhaps you and Dezzy might want tobelieve less in paraphrasing, and pay a bit more attention to what a poster actually writes MTVN.
Old 14-12-2011, 09:38 PM #407
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Your comment was

I'll ask again, very simply.

Show me where I SAID IN MY VERY OWN WORDS..... and not your version of them - that the conductor consented to the fat yob assaulting the teenager.

Those are YOUR words, not mine.

I think you may be in danger here of making yourself look more than a little foolish here Dezzy. Unless of course: you can actually provide me with a direct quote of mine, one which has not been amended and filled in with your own version.
I've not ammended anything and to prove it I've got a screenshot right here of what you said so you can't sneakily edit it later.

In your own words you said that the conductor said yes when the lout asked him for help, the fat man then proceeded to assault the teenager. How is that not consenting an assault? They're both the same thing and it's ridiculous that you're trying to worm your way out of it by saying that my point is invalid since I paraphrased what you said.

The original meaning of your words still stands no matter how hard you try to say otherwise, say that I've ammended your posts all you like but they're there for everyone to see. You'll also see that the only person to have edited the post in question is you...

I'm in no danger of looking foolish Pyramid, You've got that area covered.
Old 14-12-2011, 09:42 PM #408

I can't believe this debate is still going round in circles. Probably best if everyone agrees to disagree and moves on. lol
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 09:57 PM #409
-

-

ewww dezzy that theme
Fetch The Bolt Cutters is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 10:24 PM #410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrooge View Post
Is it just me or do things keep getting deleted from here? :S

Yes its a Manic Thread
Busy much to delete 24/7

Feel The Force.
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 10:31 PM #411

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08marsh View Post
I can't believe this debate is still going round in circles. Probably best if everyone agrees to disagree and moves on. lol

Yes is Spinning on a Loop

I say the Punk Kid is Guilty
Old 14-12-2011, 10:32 PM #412
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy Claus View Post
ewww dezzy that theme
I don't know how to change it
Old 14-12-2011, 10:45 PM #413
Honourary Super Moderator

Quote:
I don't know how to change it
The theme for here? Very bottom left hand corner of the forum. Click the little arrow thing for the drop down menu
Kerry is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 10:47 PM #414
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Elf View Post
The theme for here? Very bottom left hand corner of the forum. Click the little arrow thing for the drop down menu
OOOOH I thought he meant my firefox theme

BB10 4 lyfe.
Old 14-12-2011, 10:47 PM #415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Elf View Post

VB Style
is best
Old 14-12-2011, 10:51 PM #416

Quote:
OOOOH I thought he meant my firefox theme

BB10 4 lyfe.
That's easy to change too

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/themes/

Click download and it's yours. Takes the blink of an eye Theres loads. Have a ball!

Last edited by Kerry; 14-12-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Kerry is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 11:22 PM #417
Piertotum Locomotor

Favourites:
BB14 USA: Britney

Piertotum Locomotor

Favourites:
BB14 USA: Britney

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
VB Style
is best
I disagree. I think that the BB10 theme is the best, it reminds me of the forum on the old server.
Callum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 11:23 PM #418
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

I think the big guy was right to help get things back on track after asking the Conductor if he wanted him off the train, once the Conductor said yes to that he invited the bigger guy to help remove the teenager from the train.
The Conductor handled this very badly.

However, not having a valid ticket and then being abusive,loses you your right to even be on the train and technically this teenager was affecting the time and lives of everyone else on the train.

A court if it gets to court, would take all that into account, that had the teenager had a valid ticket and presented it then he had every right to be on the train, rail staff have a right to go about their jobs properly without being abused in the process.

So in law, the teenager had then no right to be on the train in the first place and secondly he would not leave the train when requested to do so by the legitimate Conductor.

Unfortunately,in law to manhandle anyone is assault so while in law it would be seen that an assault was commited by the big guy.
However, a court would likely also take into account that provocation was evident from the teenager in his refusal to leave the train and therefore cause massive inconvenience to a great many other people and that in this instance the end justified the means.
joeysteele is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-12-2011, 12:12 AM #419
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
I've not ammended anything and to prove it I've got a screenshot right here of what you said so you can't sneakily edit it later.

In your own words you said that the conductor said yes when the lout asked him for help, the fat man then proceeded to assault the teenager. How is that not consenting an assault? They're both the same thing and it's ridiculous that you're trying to worm your way out of it by saying that my point is invalid since I paraphrased what you said.

The original meaning of your words still stands no matter how hard you try to say otherwise, say that I've ammended your posts all you like but they're there for everyone to see. You'll also see that the only person to have edited the post in question is you...

I'm in no danger of looking foolish Pyramid, You've got that area covered.
I have no idea what you are havvering on about in regards to ''in case you sneakily edit it'' - given that I have not done so and neither is it a habit of mine in making very late amendments to posts to completely alter them.

Therefore for you to place a sreenshot seems utterly bizarre in the extreme. I'll make it easier for you - here is exactly - quoted directly and exactly - no need for screenshots, quoted in the usual manner that the forum allow - precisely what I said: word for word - no edits but quoted directly as was and as still remains:-

Quote:
The Big Man asked the conductor if he wanted the yob removed. The conductor replied Yes. How is that undermining the conductor exactly?

I think any chance of it being resolved respectfully flew out the door when the yob began cursing at the Conductor.
How on earth you can somehow translate that into what you claim it says
is laughable- which was:-

Quote:
I think it's fair to say that you appear to have reached a point whereby you are unable to debate this with me in a reasonable manner - and have to resort to changing entirely what I have written, adding in what you feel 'should' be there - rather than what actually is there.

Deary me.
Old 15-12-2011, 12:15 AM #420

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
I think the big guy was right to help get things back on track after asking the Conductor if he wanted him off the train, once the Conductor said yes to that he invited the bigger guy to help remove the teenager from the train.

However, not having a valid ticket and then being abusive,loses you your right to even be on the train and technically this teenager was affecting the time and lives of everyone else on the train.

A court if it gets to court, would take all that into account, that had the teenager had a valid ticket and presented it then he had every right to be on the train, rail staff have a right to go about their jobs properly without being abused in the process.

So in law, the teenager had then no right to be on the train in the first place and secondly he would not leave the train when requested to do so by the legitimate Conductor.

Unfortunately,in law to manhandle anyone is assault so while in law it would be seen that an assault was commited by the big guy.
However, a court would likely also take into account that provocation was evident from the teenager in his refusal to leave the train and therefore cause massive inconvenience to a great many other people and that in this instance the end justified the means.
Succintly put .....
Omah is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-12-2011, 12:42 AM #421
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post

This is exactly the way I see it. It will be interesting to see how this is view by the Police and the PF.
Old 15-12-2011, 12:44 AM #422
Banned

Banned

Quote:
I have no idea what you are havvering on about in regards to ''in case you sneakily edit it'' - given that I have not done so and neither is it a habit of mine in making very late amendments to posts to completely alter them.

Therefore for you to place a sreenshot seems utterly bizarre in the extreme. I'll make it easier for you - here is exactly - quoted directly and exactly - no need for screenshots, quoted in the usual manner that the forum allow - precisely what I said: word for word - no edits but quoted directly as was and as still remains:-

How on earth you can somehow translate that into what you claim it says
is laughable- which was:-

I think it's fair to say that you appear to have reached a point whereby you are unable to debate this with me in a reasonable manner - and have to resort to changing entirely what I have written, adding in what you feel 'should' be there - rather than what actually is there.

Deary me.
Deflecting like a pro. Run to the hills, It just means I've won.

I've not changed anything, I even put in a screenshot so that you couldn't deny that you hadn't written what you did. I'm using your own words Pyramid so keep denying it all you want it's only making you look silly because you can't admit when you're wrong so you go to stupid lengths to try to discredit people. Just admit I caught you out because this is getting embarassing for you.

You can scream like a banshee all you like that I've twisted your words, no one's buying it since everyone can see through you and can see what you've said. You said it in your own words and there's no changing that. Keep wailing about how wrong I am, I'm finding your antics hilarious and so is everyone else.
Old 15-12-2011, 12:57 AM #423
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
Deflecting like a pro. Run to the hills, It just means I've won.

I've not changed anything, I even put in a screenshot so that you couldn't deny that you hadn't written what you did. I'm using your own words Pyramid so keep denying it all you want it's only making you look silly because you can't admit when you're wrong so you go to stupid lengths to try to discredit people. Just admit I caught you out because this is getting embarassing for you.

You can scream like a banshee all you like that I've twisted your words, no one's buying it since everyone can see through you and can see what you've said. You said it in your own words and there's no changing that. Keep wailing about how wrong I am, I'm finding your antics hilarious and so is everyone else.

I love the wording of your post here Dezzy - designed with no other purpose than to be an attack on me personally rather than being able to debate the matter with reason, and with what is a fair degree of baiting and spoiling for an argument to ensue between both you and I.

It says something that you put up a screenshot in case I 'sneakily' amended a post a made hours ago: I don't HAVE to do that and neither am I in the habit of doing so. That should say more about you, that you appear to be out to score points on a personal level, rather than be able to discuss this subject reasonably.
Old 15-12-2011, 01:09 AM #424
Banned

Banned

Quote:
I love the wording of your post here Dezzy - designed with no other purpose than to be an attack on me personally rather than being able to debate the matter with reason, and with what is a fair degree of baiting and spoiling for an argument to ensue between both you and I.

It says something that you put up a screenshot in case I 'sneakily' amended a post a made hours ago: I don't HAVE to do that and neither am I in the habit of doing so. That should say more about you, that you appear to be out to score points on a personal level, rather than be able to discuss this subject reasonably.
Why should I take any discussion with you seriously? You rely on stock answers all the time when you've been challenged on points you can't overcome and any time you're losing an argument you'll play the victim or get on your high horse or worst of all attempt to mini mod people although you don't hold yourself to the standards you preach at everyone.

Look at this discussion, most of it's consisted of you essentially sticking your fingers in your ears while screaming 'LA LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU'. I'm not going to debate with someone on a serious level that relies on such asinine tactics.

What's the point of me wasting my time writing arguments for something when you're gonna feign ignorance at it in a misguided attempt to disregard it? It's a waste of time debating anything with you because you act like a child.

If you want a proper debate then I'll give you one but I'm not going to take you seriously until you drop the playground antics.
Old 15-12-2011, 01:11 AM #425
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Bit of Scots Law for you all. Note the parts in red. The Big Man's intent was on removing a troublesome, abusive, fare dodger who was holding up the train - ie: there was no criminal intent.

http://www.police-information.co.uk/...nindexsco.html

Quote:

Assault

Source: Common Law

Offence: To direct an attack to take effect physically on the person of another, whether or not actual injury is inflicted.

Arrest: Common law power of arrest.

Notes:
There must be criminal intent, an accidental injury does not amount to assault. It is not however necessary that the attack should take effect. An assault can be direct or indirect, e.g. setting a dog at another person. It is also assault to be violently menacing. Threatening gestures inducing a state of bodily fear are an example. An assault may be aggravated by intent; mode of perpetration (e.g. use of a weapon), extent of injury, place of assault, or the character of the person assaulted (e.g. a pregnant woman). Indecent assault is an assault accompanied by indecent intent. In certain cases an assault may be justified by showing that it was done under the authority of the law; in defence of others or in self-defence.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
19, dodger, fare, leave, passenger, refusing, thrown, train, year