Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:32 PM #1

Default Contraceptive Implants for 13 year olds is working

This was debated on Ch5 Wright Stuff.

22% of Pregnanicies have dropped.

So these Contraceptive Implants arte working Good.

13 is a bit young
but it better she does not have one in the oven.

(The girl said: 'The implant works really well
and I think it is a good service.
'I think it has really helped me because if I
am with my boyfriend and we feel like having sex, I have the peace of mind knowing that I am OK.)

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...#ixzz1loTQNiSY

Last edited by arista; 08-02-2012 at 04:39 PM.
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:52 PM #2

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

I'de be mortified if my daughter had sex at 13 it is too young,but kids today will do it, so I guess it's better than kids having kids,I have a few years yet to worry about such things,but it's scarey stuff.

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:55 PM #3

Favourites:
BBUSA17: John

Favourites:

13 is really young, especially for an implant!

But the underage sex and pregnancies is a worrying issue and it can potentially ruin the lives of those who have children at a young age (compared to what they could have achieved if they weren't a young mum. I have no statistics to back that up, that's just my opinion).

If they are given the implant at 13 would this encourage more underage sex?
Marc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:56 PM #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazanne View Post
I'de be mortified if my daughter had sex at 13 it is too young,but kids today will do it, so I guess it's better than kids having kids,I have a few years yet to worry about such things,but it's scarey stuff.

Yes One caller said 13 is to young.

But due to Internet Inspired and other things Young Girl's
are having sex with boys the same age.

Kids today are not like before Facebook.

Last edited by arista; 08-02-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:00 PM #5

Favourites:

Favourites:

I wouldn't blame facebook for underaged sex..? I'd say the internet is to blame though
Old 08-02-2012, 05:00 PM #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
13 is really young, especially for an implant!

But the underage sex and pregnancies is a worrying issue and it can potentially ruin the lives of those who have children at a young age (compared to what they could have achieved if they weren't a young mum. I have no statistics to back that up, that's just my opinion).

If they are given the implant at 13 would this encourage more underage sex?

No.

As those Girls that start Early
would still start Early without the implants.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:02 PM #7

Quote:
I wouldn't blame facebook for underaged sex..? I'd say the internet is to blame though

No
I am not blaming Facebook alone.
It was just used as a Example.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:03 PM #8

Favourites:

Favourites:

But the fear of pregancy wouldn't stop them...

I blame Bebo.. that's where all the scummy kids hung out
Old 08-02-2012, 05:04 PM #9

Quote:
But the fear of pregancy wouldn't stop them...

I blame Bebo.. that's where all the scummy kids hung out

Yes Bebo was for that age, so valid point
Old 08-02-2012, 07:14 PM #10
oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

oh fack off

Favourites (more):

Can't stand the parents that are complaining about this. It's a child's choice as to when to have sex, as long as they consent to it and understand the potential consequences of it (which there needs to be a lot of education about), then it's no business of anyone else when, where or who they have sex with...same as it applies to adults.

It might seem too young...but it happens, and let's be honest, there are far worse things in the world than underage sex.

Last edited by Jack_; 08-02-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Jack_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:22 PM #11

I don't know what to think about this. Of course it's good that the pregnancy rate has gone down, but i wonder about the STD rate. If they know they are immune from pregnancy, maybe they will be less likely to use condoms, and it could lead to an increase in sexually transmitted diseases.

'I think it has really helped me because if I am with my boyfriend and we feel like having sex, I have the peace of mind knowing that I am OK."

No tou are NOt okay just because you can't get preggers. The implants don't prevent STD's. Maybe you don't get preggers, but you can still get AIDS.

Last edited by lostalex; 08-02-2012 at 07:24 PM.
lostalex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:23 PM #12
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_ View Post
Can't stand the parents that are complaining about this. It's a child's choice as to when to have sex, as long as they consent to it and understand the potential consequences of it (which there needs to be a lot of education about), then it's no business of anyone else when, where or who they have sex with...same as it applies to adults.

It might seem too young...but it happens, and let's be honest, there are far worse things in the world than underage sex.
Are you kidding me??? If I thought my daughter was having sex at 13, she'd never see the light of day till she was about 18.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:35 PM #13
oh fack off

Favourites (more):

oh fack off

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Are you kidding me??? If I thought my daughter was having sex at 13, she'd never see the light of day till she was about 18.
But why? I don't understand this notion other than the fact that it's been frowned upon for generations. Don't forget childhood in itself is a socially constructed idea...when you take away all of the laws and beliefs that most people have been brought up with...you're just left with people. No children, no adults. It's difficult to comprehend I know because we're so used to it as it is now, but don't forget all around the world different cultures identify 'childhood' with different meanings.

The way I see it...as long as children are educated about sexual activity and behaviour from an early but reasonably mature age, and they are made to understand the potential consequences, not to give into peer pressure, all of the usual things...then the decision should lie with them. Of course there's ages where children aren't physically mature enough to engage in sexual activity, and so evidently there's a problem there...but the idea of education regarding the subject seems a lot more important to me than people being concerned about when it takes place. As the old saying goes...it's better to be safe than sorry, I think that applies here.

At the end of the day an individuals choice when to have sex, so long as they understand the potential repercussions of their actions and have been properly educated, are physically able to cope with it and consent to it...then I don't think that's the business of anyone else. I understand the issues but it is an age-old concept that whether parents like or not, isn't always obeyed. Knowledge overrides protection (unless it's illegal) for me.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:40 PM #14
legend

legend

Quote:
My Mum would be the same with me, I know it's a bit different as I'm male but even so she'd be furious at the thought.
Doogle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:41 PM #15
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
But why? I don't understand this notion other than the fact that it's been frowned upon for generations. Don't forget childhood in itself is a socially constructed idea...when you take away all of the laws and beliefs that most people have been brought up with...you're just left with people. No children, no adults. It's difficult to comprehend I know because we're so used to it as it is now, but don't forget all around the world different cultures identify 'childhood' with different meanings.

The way I see it...as long as children are educated about sexual activity and behaviour from an early but reasonably mature age, and they are made to understand the potential consequences, not to give into peer pressure, all of the usual things...then the decision should lie with them. Of course there's ages where children aren't physically mature enough to engage in sexual activity, and so evidently there's a problem there...but the idea of education regarding the subject seems a lot more important to me than people being concerned about when it takes place. As the old saying goes...it's better to be safe than sorry, I think that applies here.

At the end of the day an individuals choice when to have sex, so long as they understand the potential repercussions of their actions and have been properly educated, are physically able to cope with it and consent to it...then I don't think that's the business of anyone else. I understand the issues but it is an age-old concept that whether parents like or not, isn't always obeyed. Knowledge overrides protection (unless it's illegal) for me.
It is Illegal to have sex at 13, by consent or not. Also, I couldn't give too ****s what other cultures find acceptable or not, I've been a 13 year old girl and I know I wouldn't have been mature enough or emotionally ready for a sex life at that age. And I can tell you, as a mother to a daughter who is almost 12, and is no where near physically or emotionally ready for sexual relationships, that If I thought she was, she would be going no where other than school for a very long time.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Old 08-02-2012, 07:43 PM #16
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:

apart from the very obvious fact that it is illegal to have sex under the age of 16 in this country.

Let's see how you feel when you are out working, are a tax payer and your hard earned taxes are going towards feeding, housing, clothing, educating bastard children of very young teen mothers.

That aside: many are NOT physically mature enough: biologically or mentally to cope - that isn't determined until baby arrives.

Who looks after the baby due a schoolgirl mother then? Dumped on the parents, who will pay for food, clothing, etc? The mother? after all Jack, according to you, it's her choice. How does she pay for the upkeep of said child if she falls pregnant - which many often do.

Last edited by Pyramid*; 08-02-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Pyramid* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:09 PM #17
oh fack off

Favourites (more):

oh fack off

Favourites (more):

Quote:
It is Illegal to have sex at 13, by consent or not. Also, I couldn't give too ****s what other cultures find acceptable or not, I've been a 13 year old girl and I know I wouldn't have been mature enough or emotionally ready for a sex life at that age. And I can tell you, as a mother to a daughter who is almost 12, and is no where near physically or emotionally ready for sexual relationships, that If I thought she was, she would be going no where other than school for a very long time.
Sorry...but this is quite an extreme reaction to what is supposed to be a civilised debate. I understand it's a sensitive issue as you're a mother, but please, how am I supposed to discuss an issue with someone who refuses to comprehend opposing ideas? I don't mean that in a bad way Niamh, but it's difficult if I make a point and someone responds with 'I couldn't give a ****'.

Anyway, you see the problem is everyone matures at different ages, whilst you and others may not have been physically or mentally mature at the age of 13, many others are. It's an individual thing, not a collective. And that's where the problem lies, because why should someone who is physically mature enough and has well-rounded knowledge of the subject, has put thought into it, and has waited until they themselves are ready, be denied the choice to have sex purely on the basis that society deems them 'too young', when of course as with everything, those beliefs are instilled in everybody's mind. You aren't born that way.

What if she was physically and mentally mature enough for it though? What if she had been educated about the potential consequences of her actions, how she should wait for the right moment, use protection...you know, all of the usual stuff and more, then what would your belief be? If she lost it to someone she had known for many years and perhaps been in a relationship for some length of time? There's varying degrees of possibilities, everyone is different and every situation is different.

Don't forget as well, one of the biggest problems with denying people the choice to do things is that it consequently makes them want to do it more. It's a bit like when you see a 'do not touch - wet paint' sign, you want to touch it, it's because you've been told you can't. Such restrictions can have negative effects on some people. Prevention, protection and exclusion can often make people more interested, curious and susceptible to things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramid* View Post
apart from the very obvious fact that it is illegal to have sex under the age of 16 in this country.
But that doesn't mean it should be, not everybody agrees...some think it should be older, some think it should be lower. And the age of consent varies across the world. It's not set in stone, it's open to discussion. As I said the whole concept of 'childhood' is something that's socially constructed. Various laws and rules give off certain ideas as to what a 'child' actually is, but that varies from country to country.

Quote:
Let's see how you feel when you are out working, are a tax payer and your hard earned taxes are going towards feeding, housing, clothing, educating bastard children of very young teen mothers.
But again you've missed the point that I made - I quite clearly stated that I believe the sex education is something that is needed more in schools, regardless of my whole stance on this particular subject actually. It's needed regardless, because whether parents like it or not...underage sex happens. And it could happen to anyone.

Quote:
That aside: many are NOT physically mature enough: biologically or mentally to cope - that isn't determined until baby arrives.

Who looks after the baby due a schoolgirl mother then? Dumped on the parents, who will pay for food, clothing, etc? The mother? after all Jack, according to you, it's her choice. How does she pay for the upkeep of said child if she falls pregnant - which many often do.
This is a fair point, but I'm of the opinion that if you have a child (especially underage), you provide for it. In cases like these whilst the teen mother might not be able to financially provide at the time, when they start receiving an income a system could be implemented whereby they are required to pay back any money that was provided to them by their parents, unless of course their parents agree to financially provide anyway. Again, it's another choice that should be made by the individual. If you wish to bring a child into the world at such a young age, you are responsible for it, as of course you were responsible for getting pregnant in the first place.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:13 PM #18
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Because Jack, they are children. At 13 you are a child, it's not legal and if it all goes wrong and you end up with a disease or an unwanted pregnancy or some sort of therapy because actually maybe you weren't as ready as you thought you were, who has to deal with that and pick up the pieces? The adults do or parents as I like to call them.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 08-02-2012, 08:15 PM #19
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
Sorry...but this is quite an extreme reaction to what is supposed to be a civilised debate. I understand it's a sensitive issue as you're a mother, but please, how am I supposed to discuss an issue with someone who refuses to comprehend opposing ideas? I don't mean that in a bad way Niamh, but it's difficult if I make a point and someone responds with 'I couldn't give a ****'.

Anyway, you see the problem is everyone matures at different ages, whilst you and others may not have been physically or mentally mature at the age of 13, many others are. It's an individual thing, not a collective. And that's where the problem lies, because why should someone who is physically mature enough and has well-rounded knowledge of the subject, has put thought into it, and has waited until they themselves are ready, be denied the choice to have sex purely on the basis that society deems them 'too young', when of course as with everything, those beliefs are instilled in everybody's mind. You aren't born that way.

What if she was physically and mentally mature enough for it though? What if she had been educated about the potential consequences of her actions, how she should wait for the right moment, use protection...you know, all of the usual stuff and more, then what would your belief be? If she lost it to someone she had known for many years and perhaps been in a relationship for some length of time? There's varying degrees of possibilities, everyone is different and every situation is different.

Don't forget as well, one of the biggest problems with denying people the choice to do things is that it consequently makes them want to do it more. It's a bit like when you see a 'do not touch - wet paint' sign, you want to touch it, it's because you've been told you can't. Such restrictions can have negative effects on some people. Prevention, protection and exclusion can often make people more interested, curious and susceptible to things.

But that doesn't mean it should be, not everybody agrees...some think it should be older, some think it should be lower. And the age of consent varies across the world. It's not set in stone, it's open to discussion. As I said the whole concept of 'childhood' is something that's socially constructed. Various laws and rules give off certain ideas as to what a 'child' actually is, but that varies from country to country.

But again you've missed the point that I made - I quite clearly stated that I believe the sex education is something that is needed more in schools, regardless of my whole stance on this particular subject actually. It's needed regardless, because whether parents like it or not...underage sex happens. And it could happen to anyone.

This is a fair point, but I'm of the opinion that if you have a child (especially underage), you provide for it. In cases like these whilst the teen mother might not be able to financially provide at the time, when they start receiving an income a system could be implemented whereby they are required to pay back any money that was provided to them by their parents, unless of course their parents agree to financially provide anyway. Again, it's another choice that should be made by the individual. If you wish to bring a child into the world at such a young age, you are responsible for it, as of course you were responsible for getting pregnant in the first place.

Not quite addressing what I asked. How do you suggest in this 'do what they want world' of yours: how does a schoolchild manage to feed and clothe their new born baby, and look after it? Where do they get the money from? where do they stay? (bearing in mind here, according to you, it is upto the parent of said child).

Underage pregnancies are most commonly unwanted....

How do you propose they pay for this NOW, when they need it. In the current - not some flight of fancy idea - the real world NOW...as it is NOW. When the child appears... NOW.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:21 PM #20
oh fack off

Favourites (more):

oh fack off

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Because Jack, they are children. At 13 you are a child, it's not legal and if it all goes wrong and you end up with a disease or an unwanted pregnancy or some sort of therapy because actually maybe you weren't as ready as you thought you were, who has to deal with that and pick up the pieces? The adults do or parents as I like to call them.
You're still not considering the arguments I've proposed. It's all very well saying that, but it's not always the case. Many young people engage in sexual activity and never get pregnant or contract STI's, and if they do, they get rid of them, or at least attempt to. Not everyone is as poorly educated on the subject as others.

But because this is obviously a sensitive subject considering you're a mother yourself...perhaps it's best if we didn't discuss it.

Quote:
Not quite addressing what I asked. How do you suggest in this 'do what they want world' of yours: how does a schoolchild manage to feed and clothe their new born baby, and look after it? Where do they get the money from? where do they stay? (bearing in mind here, according to you, it is upto the parent of said child).

Underage pregnancies are most commonly unwanted....

How do you propose they pay for this NOW, when they need it. In the current - not some flight of fancy idea - the real world NOW...as it is NOW. When the child appears... NOW.
Their parents, and they return the expenses when they begin earning an income, unless as I said the parents permit them not to.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:22 PM #21
Sam:)

Favourites (more):
CBB16: Natasha Hamilton
BB16: Marc
Sam:)

Favourites (more):
CBB16: Natasha Hamilton
BB16: Marc

can they not just wank/poke themselves?
Sam:) is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:39 PM #22
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
You're still not considering the arguments I've proposed. It's all very well saying that, but it's not always the case. Many young people engage in sexual activity and never get pregnant or contract STI's, and if they do, they get rid of them, or at least attempt to. Not everyone is as poorly educated on the subject as others.

But because this is obviously a sensitive subject considering you're a mother yourself...perhaps it's best if we didn't discuss it.

Their parents, and they return the expenses when they begin earning an income, unless as I said the parents permit them not to.
to be quite honest with you Jack, I don't think at 16 (I think you are around this age) you have a clue whether or not 13 year olds are capable of deciding that they are old enough to have sex or not. Not to mention the fact that it is illegal. I have no doubt that most 13 year olds think they can do and are ready for anything. They're not.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 08-02-2012, 08:40 PM #23
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:

No, you said quite specifically:

Quote:

but I'm of the opinion that if you have a child (especially underage), you provide for it.
How do they provide for said child as you are of the opinion of - without the aid of expecting their parents to provide for it.

Oh ...they can't.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:42 PM #24
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
to be quite honest with you Jack, I don't think at 16 (I think you are around this age) you have a clue whether or not 13 year olds are capable of deciding that they are old enough to have sex or not. Not to mention the fact that it is illegal. I have no doubt that most 13 year olds think they can do and are ready for anything. They're not.
I am in total agreeance with you on this one. 100% .
Old 08-02-2012, 08:52 PM #25
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

It is illegal, and im lucky i have never been in the position as a mother to have to face this. I oppose it on grounds that once a girl is 'active' and has the implant it only protects from unwanted pregnancy...and the use of condoms is no longer required. I disagree with this.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
13, contraceptive, implants, olds, working, year