Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

General Chat General discussion. Want to chat about anything not covered in another forum - This is the place!

Old 13-05-2012, 01:03 AM #26
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08marsh View Post

I honestly am not that bothered about it tbh as yes it's a bit weird but unless some paedophile was doing it to get hold of a child then I don't have a problem with it.

I'm a sick bitch.
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 01:13 AM #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizzy View Post
Urgh I wondered if it would come down to that...Where did you find that gif?....
Scott's living room.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 01:22 AM #28
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08marsh View Post
Scott's living room.
Burn it!
Old 13-05-2012, 07:47 AM #29

if you make an assumption, then they are not misleading you. you are just being a presumptuous or prejudice person.

i honestly don't know the gender of most of the posters here, and i never think about it. Doesn't matter to me.

Last edited by lostalex; 13-05-2012 at 07:49 AM.
lostalex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 09:27 AM #30
Z

Z

I think it's an attention thing and partly a fantasy thing. I've long maintained that all users of internet chat sites have one thing in common - we all, at the time of signing up, feel like we lack something. This depends entirely on your age, stage of life and a variety of factors, but it boils down to this basic thing. Taking our community as an example, we all signed up to talk about Big Brother. Presumably we did this because we couldn't talk about it to friends we have in real life, or because we couldn't talk about it in the detail we wanted to, or because we just don't have any friends. Maybe those of us who stick around in off season, again only to begin with, did so because it's better than sitting around feeling lonely in our real lives. I personally have a wide circle of friends - but back when I was 13 I felt like the loneliest person in the world and this place was a wonderful escape for me. So I think, going back to the OP's question, some people would choose to lie about their gender to give themselves a bit of mystery. Sometimes it really sucks having to be who you really are in the real world. Maybe you don't like yourself very much and you want to play a role. Of course, most people get found out because it's hard to keep up such a lie if you start to get to know people - and the more you get to know people, the more betrayed they feel when they find out you were lying. So it's never a good idea but I think I understand some of the reasons why people do it.

Last edited by Z; 13-05-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 09:52 AM #31
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I don't think that applies here though Greg as the OP isn't saying people who lie about their gender..........just chose not to reveal it straight away. I would have thought that's more of a cautious move

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 12:42 PM #32
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
I think it's an attention thing and partly a fantasy thing. I've long maintained that all users of internet chat sites have one thing in common - we all, at the time of signing up, feel like we lack something. This depends entirely on your age, stage of life and a variety of factors, but it boils down to this basic thing. Taking our community as an example, we all signed up to talk about Big Brother. Presumably we did this because we couldn't talk about it to friends we have in real life, or because we couldn't talk about it in the detail we wanted to, or because we just don't have any friends. Maybe those of us who stick around in off season, again only to begin with, did so because it's better than sitting around feeling lonely in our real lives. I personally have a wide circle of friends - but back when I was 13 I felt like the loneliest person in the world and this place was a wonderful escape for me. So I think, going back to the OP's question, some people would choose to lie about their gender to give themselves a bit of mystery. Sometimes it really sucks having to be who you really are in the real world. Maybe you don't like yourself very much and you want to play a role. Of course, most people get found out because it's hard to keep up such a lie if you start to get to know people - and the more you get to know people, the more betrayed they feel when they find out you were lying. So it's never a good idea but I think I understand some of the reasons why people do it.
You know Zee... what you have written above makes a lot of sense and a lot of thought has gone into your reply, rather than just a defensive kind of reply - but it does pose the question as you say: why the need for kind of wanting other to believe something that is not true, intentionally. Ambiguity is one thing, but to want others to believe a poster is one thing, when they are not - that seems weird.

I'm laughing at InOne's comment though that Tibb is known for it! Oh dear.... !!! How true that is though, I have no idea? I know many on here as happily male or female, and some that I have no idea which makes no difference to how I regard them as a poster. Their gender does not define them: but their posts do.

I joined as me, as Pyramid* and that's who I was on DS, had no need to hide anything, or to pretend because I wasn't known on here - a great many other posters from DS came over with me but I think the 'less than friendly welcome and hard time' they got from some on Tibb, made them abandon it again.

As for Lemonjam. I'm actually Cleopatra, risen from the depths of ancient Egypt - given I'm probably one of the oldest on here! Resurrected from the sands of time.
Pyramid* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 12:49 PM #33
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

I think it just gives a greater degree of anonymity really
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 12:50 PM #34
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
I don't think that applies here though Greg as the OP isn't saying people who lie about their gender..........just chose not to reveal it straight away. I would have thought that's more of a cautious move
To clarify: it's more to do with what is done with intent - intent to allow others to believe one thing whilst knowing it to be untrue but it to suit a purpose - whatever that may be.

I'm sure it must happen all over the internet. It's at what stage that all unravels I guess, you know - what else have others been led to believe for whatever reason.

It's a strange thing really. I do understand anonymity - but intentionally being misleading.

goodness: only today I was reading something in the (yes..the good old DM) about well..... here you can read it for yourself.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-websites.html

NOTE: I am not at all suggesting anyone on Tibb falls into this category before you all shoot me down in flames. But that is the ultimate danger and risk that is taken.
Old 13-05-2012, 12:51 PM #35
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
I think it just gives a greater degree of anonymity really

If it is kept up.

If it is not. Then it's less to do with anonymity as more to do with deception with intent is it not?
Old 13-05-2012, 02:48 PM #36
R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Patsy Kensit
Apprentice 2014: Roisin

R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Patsy Kensit
Apprentice 2014: Roisin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramid* View Post
You know Zee... what you have written above makes a lot of sense and a lot of thought has gone into your reply, rather than just a defensive kind of reply - but it does pose the question as you say: why the need for kind of wanting other to believe something that is not true, intentionally. Ambiguity is one thing, but to want others to believe a poster is one thing, when they are not - that seems weird.

I'm laughing at InOne's comment though that Tibb is known for it! Oh dear.... !!! How true that is though, I have no idea? I know many on here as happily male or female, and some that I have no idea which makes no difference to how I regard them as a poster. Their gender does not define them: but their posts do.

I joined as me, as Pyramid* and that's who I was on DS, had no need to hide anything, or to pretend because I wasn't known on here - a great many other posters from DS came over with me but I think the 'less than friendly welcome and hard time' they got from some on Tibb, made them abandon it again.

As for Lemonjam. I'm actually Cleopatra, risen from the depths of ancient Egypt - given I'm probably one of the oldest on here! Resurrected from the sands of time.
Think it was about 3 over 2 years.
Old 13-05-2012, 04:26 PM #37
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
If it is kept up.

If it is not. Then it's less to do with anonymity as more to do with deception with intent is it not?
No necessarily, there's been people on here who either didn't reveal their identity or pretended to be another gender purely because they were nervous of revealing any details about themselves online, then when they became more comfortable on the forum and got to know people better, felt that they could relax a bit.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Old 13-05-2012, 04:34 PM #38
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
No necessarily, there's been people on here who either didn't reveal their identity or pretended to be another gender purely because they were nervous of revealing any details about themselves online, then when they became more comfortable on the forum and got to know people better, felt that they could relax a bit.

Pretending to be another gender isn't quite the same as revealing an identity or revealing personal details....- it's not quite like divulging your bank account details or such.

The word 'pretending' says it all. What else might someone be pretending about? I think Zee replied and gave very good reasons & comments tbh, it's why I asked the question and the replies are interesting. It's good to see how people view different scenarious.
Old 13-05-2012, 04:38 PM #39
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
If it is kept up.

Well I'd say it gives an extra level of security, more protection against people knowing too much about you maybe, some people on here can be quite intrusive
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 04:40 PM #40
Focus

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
DOI 2018: Kem Cetinay

Focus

Favourites (more):

The best way to remain anonymous is not to give any sort of info.
See: Reggie

I dont think its neccessary though, and I like to have a face to the person Im talking to.

Jords is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 04:46 PM #41
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Pretending to be another gender isn't quite the same as revealing an identity or revealing personal details....- it's not quite like divulging your bank account details or such.

The word 'pretending' says it all. What else might someone be pretending about? I think Zee replied and gave very good reasons & comments tbh, it's why I asked the question and the replies are interesting. It's good to see how people view different scenarious.
Well, what one person feels comfortable about, another person might not. I really don't see the issue really unless it's done for a sinister reason and I don't think you can generalise and say that everyone who did this, did it for a sinister reason............especially people who later admit their actual gender, surely if they do eventually admit to it, then they're not trying to hide it for sinister reasons, otherwise they would keep the pretence up.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 13-05-2012, 05:02 PM #42
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
Well, what one person feels comfortable about, another person might not. I really don't see the issue really unless it's done for a sinister reason and I don't think you can generalise and say that everyone who did this, did it for a sinister reason............especially people who later admit their actual gender, surely if they do eventually admit to it, then they're not trying to hide it for sinister reasons, otherwise they would keep the pretence up.

I have no idea Niamh why anyone would feel the need to intentionally pretend. It's why I asked the question, it is the very reason I started the thread.

I don't see the need for pretence but I'm open to what others have to say on it - and others have that right too have their view on it - as you have, as I have.
Old 13-05-2012, 05:07 PM #43
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I have no idea Niamh why anyone would feel the need to intentionally pretend. It's why I asked the question, it is the very reason I started the thread.

I don't see the need for pretence but I'm open to what others have to say on it - and others have that right too have their view on it - as you have, as I have.
I never said they weren't entitled to their opinion on it Pyramid, I'm simply giving you mine

I know a couple of people on this forum who have either initially lied about their gender or chose not to reveal it and later did, these people were just more cautious about the internet.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 13-05-2012, 05:11 PM #44
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
I never said they weren't entitled to their opinion on it Pyramid, I'm simply giving you mine

I know a couple of people on this forum who have either initially lied about their gender or chose not to reveal it and later did, these people were just more cautious about the internet.
I understand, especially when this forum has so many youngsters on it I suppose for this type of forum it might be understandable, particularly some of the younger ones might be wary, especially if mums and dads are warning them I guess to be careful about what they say to who and all that.
Old 13-05-2012, 05:16 PM #45
Focus

Favourites (more):

Focus

Favourites (more):

hi guys im a busty babe who wants to see me nips? x

Jords is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 05:17 PM #46
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jords View Post
hi guys im a busty babe who wants to see me nips? x
Wrong sex. Wrong body bits.

Old 13-05-2012, 05:17 PM #47
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I understand, especially when this forum has so many youngsters on it I suppose for this type of forum it might be understandable, particularly some of the younger ones might be wary, especially if mums and dads are warning them I guess to be careful about what they say to who and all that.
Absolutely. And you would be surprised, older people who may not be as familiar with the internet in general can be even more nervous about it

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 13-05-2012, 05:20 PM #48
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
Absolutely. And you would be surprised, older people who may not be as familiar with the internet in general can be even more nervous about it

Really? I'd have thought older people would be very wary of lying or pretending for obvious reasons - but I guess it all depends on the type of website I guess.
Old 13-05-2012, 05:55 PM #49
Z

Z

Yeah TiBB is notorious for gender benders I don't want to rake up old news but I can think of 6 right off the top of my head and I know I'm missing a few. I think it is just that sense of wanting to escape from reality at the very heart of it. Sometimes it's really sinister, other times I think it's just wanting to pretend to be someone else so you don't have to be yourself.
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 11:58 AM #50
0_o

0_o

I dont understand it at ALL.

Some say its for privacy reasons...well...knowing your true gender would hardly make someone be able to track you down or anything would it
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
gender, intentionally, misleading, people