Favourites (more):
BB19: Akeem
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

charlton lee bowyer

Favourites (more):
BB19: Akeem
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Default Serena Williams vs Andy Murray Battle of the Sexes match

Women's singles favourite happy to re-enact Billie Jean King’s win over Bobby Riggs in the 1970s - but has some conditions!

Serena Williams has accepted the challenge laid down by Andy Murray and said she would play the Scot in a modern-day Battle of the Sexes.

But the women’s top seed at Wimbledon 2013 admitted she might require a unique handicap system to give her a chance of even causing Murray a problem.

US Open and Olympics champion had suggested a showdown in Las Vegas after being challenged on Twitter to take on five-times Wimbledon winner Williams.

“I’d be up for it, why not?” asked the Brit. “I’ve never hit with her, but she’s obviously an incredible player and I think people would be interested to see the men play against the women to see how the styles match up.”

Murray recalled the 1992 clash between Jimmy Connors and Martina Navratilova while Billie Jean King’s win over Bobby Riggs in 1973 was a key moment in the campaign for equal pay.

And, after romping past Caroline Garcia of France 6-3 6-2 to earn a third round clash with Japanese veteran Kimiko Date-Krumm, Williams returned Murray’s serve with interest.

“He’s challenged me?,” she replied. “Really? He wants to play me? Is he sure?

“That would be fun. He’s probably one of the top three people I definitely don’t want to play.

“But, yeah, maybe we can have a little bit of a showdown, on clay. He loves grass. I do, too. But I’m going to definitely go clay.

“That would be fine. I get to use the doubles alleys, he gets no serves. And he gets no legs!

“If we agree all that, then maybe I could get a game off him. I’m not sure, but I think I could get a game, fingers crossed.

Last edited by Marcus.; 28-06-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Marcus. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
andy, battle, match, murray, serena, sexes, williams