Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

BB15 Big Brother 15 - aka Big Brother: Power Trip. The launch date was Thursday 5th June 2014. Discuss the series won by Helen Wood here.

- - - - - - - - - -

Old 03-08-2014, 08:55 PM #1

Favourites (more):
BB18: Raph
BB16: Nick

Favourites (more):
Default "Game Player" - Why so bad?

One thing that has always baffled me about the UK version of Big Brother is the term "Game Player". In most cases it means someone who is lying and being fake to win the show/get to the final. Although this year the term has been used to describe housemates who are quite the opposite, Chris being the main example and Ashleigh shortly behind that. Both have generally be nice people and not done anything to harm others or viewers.

"Game Player" doesn't seem to have a direct definition for BBUK, people who are nice get accused of it, people who are horrible get accused of it. Generally it's only referred to in a negative context. BOTS is just as bad adding onto the negative context of "game player" we already see on the main show.

I just don't get it. Why is being a game player so bad? Isn't the whole point of a show like Big Brother you "playing a game" in order to get through each week?

I know the UK version doesn't quite play out as a 'game', like BBUS does for example. Although it's a term that has been used so much for BB14 and BB15 that you wonder whether the show would benefit from evolving to a kind of format like that (not talking in the literal sense here of copycatting the US format). Instead of "game player" seemingly being a cop-out argument against a housemate you/someone else doesn't like.

Thoughts?
Jamesy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:58 PM #2
BB Sees All 👀

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
BB19: Brooke

BB Sees All 👀

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
BB19: Brooke

I think it's such a big deal because it's also seen as a reality show and if someone's playing a game they aren't being their real selves.

Also housemates find it and because they find it harder to make friends with people and get along with people if they think they aren't being true because they could end up stabbing them in the back.

I do agree though, Big Brother is a game show with a prize so I never see a problem with people that have game plans, fair play.

Thanks to Littlegreen for my lovely sig

Last edited by andybigbro; 03-08-2014 at 09:00 PM.
andybigbro is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:00 PM #3
Sandra Diaz Twine

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 5: Ika
Sandra Diaz Twine

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 5: Ika

It is a game show and they should play the game, they didnt leave their house for 10 weeks to get nothing
Old 03-08-2014, 09:00 PM #4

Favourites (more):
CBB20: Chad Johnson
CBB18: Stephen Bear

Favourites (more):
CBB20: Chad Johnson
CBB18: Stephen Bear

Because the British public are sentimental and want someone without a mind to win.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:02 PM #5
Platinum Member

Platinum Member

I think it's because gameplay is basically seen as lying.
CaudleHalbard is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:27 PM #6

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Nothing wrong with playing the game imo,That's the whole point of a gameshow.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:48 AM #7

Favourites (more):
BB15: Chris
The Voice: Jermain Jackman

Favourites (more):

It drives me crazy

More so when Steven says it on BOTS

I think that BB should have a rule that anyone who says the words 'game player' should be made to do 20 press ups! (I'm sure there's worse things BB could punish them with!)
rubymoo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:14 AM #8
User banned

Favourites (more):
BB13: Adam
BB12: Harry
User banned

Favourites (more):

The problem is that the US version is described as a game show. BB here is described as a REALITY TV SHOW. The GBP cant get their head around the fact that being real is a virtue, being a gamer is a sin and therefore not yet accepted in this country and indeed in our psychic.

Lies and deception are the norm in the USA, here we treat lies and deception as a cheat, ergo the phrase Game player is abused and taken out of context. BBBOTS started it with its just a game, but they are wrong, its a reality show that's perceived by some as a game but the rules state the HM's should be real as the rules state. No this and that and they have now crossed the line by allowing outside contact so the whole shows ethos has become a toy for the prods to use to invent another ethos to the shows ever declining support.

If its a game show, why show back stories before they go in as we expect them to be true to these back stories. The GBP are programmed to accept games as games which have rules. Reality tv is different. Sadly some people cant differentiate between The price is right as a game show and BB as a reality show. one has rules the other does not.
sampvt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:14 AM #9

Favourites:
BBUSA17: John

Favourites:
BBUSA17: John

Gameplayers are good IMO

Last edited by Marc; 04-08-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Marc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:20 AM #10

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampvt View Post
The problem is that the US version is described as a game show. BB here is described as a REALITY TV SHOW. The GBP cant get their head around the fact that being real is a virtue, being a gamer is a sin and therefore not yet accepted in this country and indeed in our psychic.

Lies and deception are the norm in the USA, here we treat lies and deception as a cheat, ergo the phrase Game player is abused and taken out of context. BBBOTS started it with its just a game, but they are wrong, its a reality show that's perceived by some as a game but the rules state the HM's should be real as the rules state. No this and that and they have now crossed the line by allowing outside contact so the whole shows ethos has become a toy for the prods to use to invent another ethos to the shows ever declining support.

If its a game show, why show back stories before they go in as we expect them to be true to these back stories. The GBP are programmed to accept games as games which have rules. Reality tv is different. Sadly some people cant differentiate between The price is right as a game show and BB as a reality show. one has rules the other does not.
I agree with you.

The problem lies with the Ł100.000 prize at the end, which constitutes it as a game show, but it's also a reality show.

Many people like things to be black and white, clear and simple, but BB isn't it's confusing.

I would rather it be like a game show to stop all this nonsense of 'oh they're a game player' because it winds me right up!

Or to remove the Ł100.000 prize and have it as a reality show, simple!
Old 04-08-2014, 09:37 AM #11
User banned

Favourites (more):
User banned

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubymoo View Post
I agree with you.

The problem lies with the Ł100.000 prize at the end, which constitutes it as a game show, but it's also a reality show.

Many people like things to be black and white, clear and simple, but BB isn't it's confusing.

I would rather it be like a game show to stop all this nonsense of 'oh they're a game player' because it winds me right up!

Or to remove the Ł100.000 prize and have it as a reality show, simple!
Or even better, I have always said that the introduction of the HM's is the problem. Why don't they remove the Back story videos and send 14 people in to say and pretend who they want to be and let them fight it out. That way lying and cheating become an act and not a sin. When they come out, we then have a story to look forward to as to who they really are.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:41 AM #12
Platinum Member

Platinum Member

Quote:
Or even better, I have always said that the introduction of the HM's is the problem. Why don't they remove the Back story videos and send 14 people in to say and pretend who they want to be and let them fight it out. That way lying and cheating become an act and not a sin. When they come out, we then have a story to look forward to as to who they really are.
Yes. Something of this sort needs to happen.

I'm fed up to the back teeth of back stories!
CaudleHalbard is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:52 AM #13

Part of the attraction for myself is trying to workout who is behaving normally in so far as this is possible in an un normal environment. So my definition of a game player would be a HM who is not doing so.

I don't always treat this as a negative because it adds to the interest.For myself its how its done which counts.Although there are always exceptions and this year my dislike of Steven was down to the fact that his behaviours where probably normal(for him).

Based on the few shows I have seen the OTT game players get rumbled by the public and don't win.
Mick is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:57 AM #14

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I like the idea of this, that way we makeup our own minds and aren't distracted by the back stories, great idea!
Old 04-08-2014, 11:15 AM #15
나한테 복어 줘

나한테 복어 줘

What's even worse is the ridiculous notion that HMs actually don't care about winning the cash prize, they just want "the experience of getting to the final."

Why don't these people try doing voluntary work, at an old people's home for example, and filming it as a documentary? They can be as real as like in such a setting, upload it to YouTube and let people see how wonderful they are that way. Oh that's right, there's no cash incentive for doing something like that.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:18 AM #16

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Like I said, maybe the UK version evolving into more of a 'game' would benefit our version far more. They don't have to copy BBUS or change the show so it is a 'game'. But they could takes steps that make sure the whole point of Big Brother is that it's a game show/reality show crossover. They both go hand in hand. Just by mentioning game plans more to potential housemates and questioning them about 'game plans' in the house might ease the public into welcoming the idea of that more. Rather than now where we see game player only used as an argument about someone, rather than an aspect of the show. It would still be reality, but more of a concentration on housemates doing what they need to do to win.

Quote:
I think that would be a right step ahead. The main problem with VTs about who they are, their back stories and their lives is that we (the public) already have a judgement before they even enter the house. If housemates do not stick to who they are in their VTs then they are branded as a game player. When really applying for BB is like applying for a job, or for a university course, most of it is BS in order for you to get the job/a place on the course. Big Brother is no different in that respect. The only realistic way to get on the show is if you overblow who you really are to sell yourself.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:20 AM #17

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish_Fingers View Post
What's even worse is the ridiculous notion that HMs actually don't care about winning the cash prize, they just want "the experience of getting to the final."

Why don't these people try doing voluntary work, at an old people's home for example, and filming it as a documentary? They can be as real as like in such a setting, upload it to YouTube and let people see how wonderful they are that way. Oh that's right, there's no cash incentive for doing something like that.
Eurgh yes! It's always said by housemates towards the end of the show that pretty much know they have no chance of winning. "I don't care if I don't win, I've been here for the experience" - so you wanted to waste 3 months of your life for an experience of being locked up in a house with 15 strangers, don't think so.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:34 AM #18
mrmattybeck1

Favourites (more):
CBB 13: Dappy
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton
mrmattybeck1

Favourites (more):
CBB 13: Dappy
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Reason I love bbus its played as a game the one with the best game wins
mrmattybeck1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:01 PM #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish_Fingers View Post

Organizing the entertainment?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dancers.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	2832  
RockBottom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:09 PM #20

Favourites:
BB15: Ashleigh

Favourites:
BB15: Ashleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Part of the attraction for myself is trying to workout who is behaving normally in so far as this is possible in an un normal environment. So my definition of a game player would be a HM who is not doing so.

I don't always treat this as a negative because it adds to the interest.For myself its how its done which counts.Although there are always exceptions and this year my dislike of Steven was down to the fact that his behaviours where probably normal(for him).

Based on the few shows I have seen the OTT game players get rumbled by the public and don't win.
Ashleigh, Helen and Ash are being themselves.
Chris is being himself whilst having a calculated game plan of saying what the public are thinking.
Winston has a game plan of being a spoof character of a stereotypical BB housemate.
Mark is being an exaggerated version of himself. Game plan is to play up to the cameras, get as much airtime as possible and make the audience laugh
Christopher's game plan is the most calculated. Play the mug, play the wet lettuce, be like Jar Jar Binks and get sympathy from the public. He is not like he is in the house when doing his job as journalist and in everyday life.
Pav's game plan is be the underdog. He has toned down his personality, the opposite of what Mark has done.

PRINCESS ASHLEIGH
Achilles is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:23 PM #21

It's mostly used by people to slag off a hm they don't like-"I hate so and so, they're a game player". If it's someone they like then they're said to be "playing a good game".

It's just a derogatory term used to slag a hm off.
Speedster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:32 PM #22
User banned

Favourites (more):
User banned

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
Chris is being himself whilst having a calculated game plan of saying what the public are thinking.
Winston has a game plan of being a spoof character of a stereotypical BB housemate.
Mark is being an exaggerated version of himself. Game plan is to play up to the cameras, get as much airtime as possible and make the audience laugh
Christopher's game plan is the most calculated. Play the mug, play the wet lettuce, be like Jar Jar Binks and get sympathy from the public. He is not like he is in the house when doing his job as journalist and in everyday life.
Pav's game plan is be the underdog. He has toned down his personality, the opposite of what Mark has done.
The only one you are way out on is Ashleigh. She has a massive game plan, its called look at me and remember I am only a little girl of 18 and need mollycuddling, look I have a wee doggie and lovely blond hair (dyed for the occasion BTW) I cant eat meat because I am a good girl that believes in animal rights and world peace. ****E with a capital S. She is one of the worst game playing strategists because she tugs on the heart strings and uses her looks to get them all panting and running around after her.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:41 PM #23
As Told by Troy

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
BBUSA19: Cody
As Told by Troy

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
BBUSA19: Cody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
k I know you view everything through Ashleigh-tinted spectacles but she clearly has a better understanding of the game than (almost) everyone else

and FYI BBUS is a game but it's still classified as reality TV so it doesn't rly have much to do with semantics
Old 04-08-2014, 03:18 PM #24

British are to dumb to understand or appreciate strategy, is all about the popularity. That is also why Survivor never took off here and no desire to bring the amazing race here.
VirtualWaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:16 PM #25
User banned

Favourites (more):
CBB14: James
BB15: Matthew
User banned

Favourites (more):
CBB14: James
BB15: Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybigbro View Post
I think it's such a big deal because it's also seen as a reality show and if someone's playing a game they aren't being their real selves.
this is exactly it. on bbusa I think it's not seen as a bad thing because that's the idea of the show, but on bbuk it's all about who the public relate to and feel deserves the prize money, but if they've been playing a game they usually don't admit to it so then I guess the public would feel cheated by that and they'd be perceived as fake.
Sophiee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
bad, game player