Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:10 AM #1
User banned

User banned

Default leabour leader candidates how they voted?

ITS JEREMY CORBYN ALL THE WAY SO FAR

How the Labour leadership candidates voted on Iraq and tuition fees

Labour members will be voting for their new leader in September after Ed Miliband stepped down.
They need to pick from Liz Kendall, Andy Burnham, Yvette Cooper, and surprise late entrant Jeremy Corbyn
How did they vote on the important issues... Like LGBT rights, civil liberties, the NHS, Iraq, and tuition fees

In September, members of the Labour Party will be asked to vote for their next leader - the leader that they hope will take them into power come the next election.

They have to choose from Andy Burnham, Yvette Cooper, Liz Kendall, and Jeremy Corbyn.

We look at their voting record on specific issues, to see how they differ, and why.

LGBT rights

Andy Burnham: "moderately for" equal gay rights
Yvette Cooper: "very strongly for" equal gay rights
Liz Kendall:"very strongly for" equal gay rights
Jeremy Corbyn: "very strongly for" equal gay rights

Wait. MODERATELY for? Hang on - it's not as bad as it sounds. Burnham simply wasn't there for two votes that come under equal gay rights.

Fox hunting

Andy Burnham: "very strongly for" the hunting ban
Yvette Cooper: "very strongly for" the hunting ban
Liz Kendall: Wasn't in parliament then
Jeremy Corbyn: "very strongly for" the hunting ban

Good, they aren't monsters.

Iraq War

Andy Burnham and Yvette Cooper voted for the Iraq war. Liz Kendall only became an MP in 2010, so she wasn't around to vote for or against it. Jeremy Corbyn voted against it.HALLELUJAH

The smoking ban

Andy Burnham: "very strongly for" the smoking ban
Yvette Cooper: "moderately for" the smoking ban
Liz Kendall: "moderately for" the smoking ban
Jeremy Corbyn: "very strongly for" the smoking ban

Again, Kendall and Cooper are only "moderately for" the smoking ban because they were absent for a couple of votes.

Tuition fees

This is where the candidates really seem to diverge.

Andy Burnham: "moderately for" tuition fees
Yvette Cooper: "a mixture of for and against" tuition fees
Liz Kendall: "very strongly against" tuition fees
Jeremy Corbyn: "very strongly against" tuition fees

Both Burnham and Cooper voted in favour of raising tuition fees to £3,000 per year in 2004, but voted against raising the tuition fee cap to £9,000 in 2010.

Liz Kendall wasn't an MP in 2004 so didn't vote for the earlier motion, but she did vote very strongly against moving the tuition fee cap in 2010. Jeremy Corbyn voted against raising tuition fees to £3,000 in 2004, AND against raising the cap to £9,000 in 2010.

Health and Social Care Act, 2012

In 2012 the Health & Social Care Bill was proposed which would essentially mean paving the way for privatisation in the national health service. At the last minute, a motion was put forward to delay the bill until the government released the Transition Risk Register. The risk register detailed all of the potential risks of reorganising the NHS, and publishing it would have increased transparency around a bill that was hotly debated.

All four of the candidates voted that they should not pass the bill until the Transition Risk Register had been published by the government.

If you want to check how MPs have voted on issues that you care about, comb through their voting record at TheyWorkForYou.
the truth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:52 PM #2
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

I'm pro Corbyn too.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:39 PM #3
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

I'm surprised that Corbyn's sympathetic comments about Hezbollah and Hamas have received so little attention so far: http://leftfootforward.org/2015/06/a...jeremy-corbyn/

He will certainly be the Conservative choice for the Labour leadership anyway, politics has moved on from the 1970s and they would never win a general election under Corbyn.
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:51 PM #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
I'm surprised that Corbyn's sympathetic comments about Hezbollah and Hamas have received so little attention so far: http://leftfootforward.org/2015/06/a...jeremy-corbyn/

He will certainly be the Conservative choice for the Labour leadership anyway, politics has moved on from the 1970s and they would never win a general election under Corbyn.

Yes all the Unions back him

If he wins

Labour never gets in Power

Utter Bliss
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:08 PM #5
User banned

User banned

Quote:

but he voted AGAINST Palestinian state
for me the very fact he voted against the Iraq war wins this race
the only downside is he is pro Europe , BUT even there he is reasonable and recognises what a disaster it currently is
Old 06-07-2015, 06:49 PM #6
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:

I agree completely.
I agree with him on a lot but no way do I think he should get the Labour leadership.
This is an important choice for Labour to make this time and despite my support for Labour, the choices,I have to admit are of limited appeal.

Two of them will have the better chance to do well in 2020 than the other 2 would and for me sadly Jeremy Corbyn is of the latter.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:06 AM #7
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
i agree completely.
I agree with him on a lot but no way do i think he should get the labour leadership.
This is an important choice for labour to make this time and despite my support for labour, the choices,i have to admit are of limited appeal.

Two of them will have the better chance to do well in 2020 than the other 2 would and for me sadly jeremy corbyn is of the latter.
who do you want to win then?
Old 07-07-2015, 09:23 AM #8
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by the truth View Post
who do you want to win then?
I am waiting to see how all of them do over the speeches and performances up until the vote.

If I had to choose one of them tomorrow, at this time my vote would go to Andy Burnham.

That may not be so guaranteed by the time the vote is held however.
I am sort of disappointed with the choices.

Jeremy Corbyn would have been great in another decade a good while ago.
Yvette Cooper does come with some baggage as to her Husband Ed Balls
Liz Kendall,I like but she can come across as patronising when she talks to you.
Andy Burnham, well he would have been a far better choice in 2010 but at present as he is a politician I admire, he is my preference at this moment in time anyway.

The Deputy Leader is far easier,I will support Ben Bradshaw there,the only person who has been able to hold a South West seat, Exeter, for 5 elections in a row now and who increased his majority there in May too.
If he can win in that area, Labour need far more like him in my view.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:05 PM #9
User banned

User banned

Quote:
I am waiting to see how all of them do over the speeches and performances up until the vote.

If I had to choose one of them tomorrow, at this time my vote would go to Andy Burnham.

That may not be so guaranteed by the time the vote is held however.
I am sort of disappointed with the choices.

Jeremy Corbyn would have been great in another decade a good while ago.
Yvette Cooper does come with some baggage as to her Husband Ed Balls
Liz Kendall,I like but she can come across as patronising when she talks to you.
Andy Burnham, well he would have been a far better choice in 2010 but at present as he is a politician I admire, he is my preference at this moment in time anyway.

The Deputy Leader is far easier,I will support Ben Bradshaw there,the only person who has been able to hold a South West seat, Exeter, for 5 elections in a row now and who increased his majority there in May too.
If he can win in that area, Labour need far more like him in my view.
how on earth can you vote for a man who voted to invade Iraq and spent a few years ruining the nhs and was there when the mass of abuses in umpteen hospitals was happening under his stewardship?
Old 07-07-2015, 04:06 PM #10
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by the truth View Post
how on earth can you vote for a man who voted to invade Iraq and spent a few years ruining the nhs and was there when the mass of abuses in umpteen hospitals was happening under his stewardship?
Hmm, I feared answering you would lead to a hysterical and unreasoned outburst but I gave you the benefit of the doubt and tried to anyway.
Firstly, if not voting for MPs who supported Iraq's invasion was the norm, few MPs would get votes at all, even now.

Parliament was given the wrong information by the then Prime Minister,they acted and voted for or against on the contents of all the information put before them.
The thing opposite as to you and I is, that I don't hold what others do 'once', that I disagree with, against them and certainly not to ever think they cannot be trusted again.
The MPs who vote yes to Iraq, believed strongly that what they had been presented with was the whole truth,which it was later proved to not be so.

As to the NHS, Andy was only Health Secretary a short time in reality and the abuses had gone on both under his time and way back into previous govts times too.
For instance are also the Conservative health secretaries to be always held responsible for the abuses made across the NHS by Jimmy Saville.
No of course they are not,that is ridiculous.

There are abuses going on now, and they are not the responsibility alone of Jeremy Hunt the present Health Secretary either.

So I can easily vote for Andy Burnham if that is what I so wish to do, he had excellent ideas as to mental health care and also social care too,his plans for the NHS would have helped in my view enormously and he was in consultations too with the Lib Dems before the 2010 election as to them too.

Furthermore,after a rocky beginning, I also massively admire Andy Burnham for his tireless efforts as to getting the right thing done and the real truth made known as to the Hillsborough tragedy.
We need more politicians like that who will fight for justice and give their all to help bring it about too.

I am not going to re-live Iraq over and over,I would have never supported Iraqs invasion myself.
the NHS, is a massive organisation, wherein there will always be tragedies and abuses,sadly that is the case, it should not happen but it does.
The people to blame for that are those who are there in the NHS day after day, week after week, year after year. they are the ones responsible for what takes place and once it is known and proved, then Govt should take action.

So they are my reasons for probably voting for Andy,if we held every thing any MP voted wrongly on or what we didn't agree with them on, then there would be likely no MPs left at all to vote for.

I am probably wasting my breath here and you may come back with another rant.
I chose to answer the question you asked me originally with a reasoned and detailed reply.
It seems despite giving you the benefit of the doubt again, I was also misguided in doing so again.
I am not however going down the road of your personal prejudiced line against the Labour party or the NHS.
I answered your question and will not be doing so again.

Last edited by joeysteele; 07-07-2015 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:56 PM #11
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Hmm, I feared answering you would lead to hysterical and unreasoned outburst but I gave you the benefit of the doubt and tried to anyway.
Firstly, if not voting for MPs who supported Iraq'a invasion was the norm, few MPs would get votes at all, even now.

Parliament was given the wrong information by the then Prime Minister,they acted and voted for or against on the contents of all the information put before them.
The thing opposite as to you and I is, that I don't hold what others do 'once' that I disagree with, against them and certainly not to ever think they cannot be trusted again.
The MPs who vote yes to Iraq, believed strongly that what they had been presented with was the whole truth,which it was later proved to not be so.

AS to the NHS, Andy was only Health Secretary a short time in reality and the abuses had gone on both under his time and way back into previous govts times too.
For instance are also the Conservative health secretaries to be always held responsible for the abuses made across the NHS by Jimmy Saville.
No of course they are not,that is ridiculous.

There are abuses going on now, and they are not the responsibility alone of Jeremy Hunt the present Health Secretary either.

So I can easily vote for Andy Burnham if that is what I so wish to do, he had excellent ideas as to mental health care and also social care too.his plans for the NHS would have helped in my view enormously and he was in consultations too with the Lib Dems before the 2010 elections to them too.

Furthermore,after a rocky beginning, I also massively admire Andy Burnham for his tireless efforts as to getting the right thing done and the real truth made known as to the Hillsborough tragedy.
We need more politicians like that who will fight for justice and give their all to help bring it about too.

I am not going to re-live Iraq over and over,I would have never supported Iraq'a invasion myself.
the NHS, is a massive organisation, wherein there will always be tragedies and abuses,sadly that is the case, it should not happen but it does.
he people to blame for that are those who are there in the NHS day after day, week after week, year after year. they are the ones responsible for what takes place and once it is known and proved, then Govt should take action.

So they are my reasons for probably voting for Andy,if we held every thing any MP voted wrongly on or what we didn't agree with them on, then there would be likely no MPs left at all to vote for.

I am probably wasting my breath here and you may come back with another rant.
I chose to answer the question you asked me originally with a reasoned and detailed reply.
I seems despite giving you the befit of the doubt again, I was also misguided in doing so again.
I am not however going down the road of your personal prejudiced line against the Labour party or the NHS.
I answered your question and will not be doing so again.
your uncalled for personal attack is duly noted. it seems youre very uncomfortable with someone questioning your beliefs and your reasoning behind it. Why? it seems a you have a very thin skin in these matters perhaps based on some insecurities?

as for your responses, I am not here to judge you, despite the fact you judge me. However I am here to judge politicians. Despite your personal petty attacks and your false claims against me and my supposed hate of labour, I shall take on this topic objectively.

I agree burnham did a grand and tireless job on Hillsborough.
re the nhs he made a better go it it than some labour ministers, though in the end he did fail.

as for Iraq war, if a man is so spineless and gullible as to be rushed and hoodwinked into bombing a million innocent people to death on a packed of lies, then imo he should never ever be in a position of power again.

I shall not be replying again

Last edited by the truth; 07-07-2015 at 04:57 PM.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
candidates, leabour, leader, voted