Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

View Poll Results: ?
Really pleased, the U.K. will be better off 27 36.00%
Really pleased, the U.K. will be better off
27 36.00%
Really disappointed, we've ****ed things up 42 56.00%
Really disappointed, we've ****ed things up
42 56.00%
I didn't care either way 6 8.00%
I didn't care either way
6 8.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25-06-2016, 03:55 PM #276
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Tom_ View Post
Perhaps it's because old people actually have life experience and have been directly impacted by the EU?

These are people who have direct experience from before and after the European Union. They have lived through the EU's effect on their lives - and they can see how it's going.
My point was not that they had not life experience at all but when it was their futures they were voting on, they voted 'in' and were probably over the moon the rest of the Nation backed them by 2 to 1 then too.

This time even with the young of today, like them in 1975, being pro being in the EU by a likely strong margin, they voted for themselves and not the futures of said young of the Nation.

Those who did that,it's their right to do so and vote as they wish but it doesn't alter my point that they wanted different for themselves in 1975.
Which most young of today wanted what they'd had and got in 1975 for them, here in 2016..
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 04:06 PM #277

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
My point was not that they had not life experience at all but when it was their futures they were voting on, they voted 'in' and were probably over the moon the rest of the Nation backed them by 2 to 1 then too.

This time even with the young of today, like them in 1975, being pro being in the EU by a likely strong margin, they voted for themselves and not the futures of said young of the Nation.

Those who did that,it's their right to do so and vote as they wish but it doesn't alter my point that they wanted different for themselves in 1975.
Which most young of today wanted what they'd had and got in 1975 for them, here in 2016..
Not quite sure how old is old in this instance.
There is absolutely no way of knowing if the older generation that have voted this time even bothered voting last time never mind if they actually voted the opposite to last time, so it's a rather big assumption Joey.
Back in the seventies there was no internet and not that much telly to be honest, apart from the very boring party political broadcasts at the time or the news, I wonder if the youngsters of the day were anywhere near as interested in it as they are now.
smudgie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 04:21 PM #278
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
There is absolutely no way of knowing if the older generation that have voted this time even bothered voting last time never mind if they actually voted the opposite to last time, so it's a rather big assumption Joey.
Back in the seventies there was no internet and not that much telly to be honest, apart from the very boring party political broadcasts at the time or the news, I wonder if the youngsters of the day were anywhere near as interested in it as they are now.
I am not assuming anything and I don't do so either.

The news has presented that according to findings, the young that voted did so by around 70% to 30% to stay in.
Also that the older voters over 65 voted around 65% to 35% to leave.

The campaigning team I was part of, the findings there,over 1500 in fact, of talking to people at their doors and at the street stalls are in line with those figures.

I never assume anything, I came across hundreds myself who had voted yes in 1975 who were going to vote leave this time.

However I think even ignoring my own experiences of campaigning and any other means,even just dismissing that work as nonsense.
It was clearly and widely reported daily on the news, the daily politics,the sunday politics and question time programmes,that the more older voters were more for leave and the younger voters for remain.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 04:41 PM #279

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
I am not assuming anything and I don't do so either.

The news has presented that according to findings, the young that voted did so by around 70% to 30% to stay in.
Also that the older voters over 65 voted around 65% to 35% to leave.

The campaigning team I was part of, the findings there,over 1500 in fact, of talking to people at their doors and at the street stalls are in line with those figures.

I never assume anything, I came across hundreds myself who had voted yes in 1975 who were going to vote leave this time.

However I think even ignoring my own experiences of campaigning and any other means,even just dismissing that work as nonsense.
It was clearly and widely reported daily on the news, the daily politics,the sunday politics and question time programmes,that the more older voters were more for leave and the younger voters for remain.
Yes Joey, I don't dispute your facts, but how can anybody know for a fact that the actual people that voted in last time voted out this time?
No doubt some did..and no doubt some didn't.
That aside, so much has changed over the last 40 odd years you can expect a fair few people to change their minds.
Were young people voting in the same percentages over 40 year ago? I know for sure not one of my group of friends bothered voting or had any interest in politics at the time.
Old 25-06-2016, 04:48 PM #280

Favourites:

Favourites:

Just had a thought.
What are we going to do about the Euro Lottery once we come out?
Will we keep it but only for the British, change the name etc....in other words just do the normal national lottery but on 4 days a week, can't see the lottery people wanting to miss a trick.

Last edited by smudgie; 25-06-2016 at 04:49 PM.
Old 25-06-2016, 04:50 PM #281
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

young or old people vote related to their personal circumstances. As young people tend to have less responsibilities and fears they are more likely to vote for a change and step into the dark than those with families.

Those who voted last time are entitled to have a change of mind in the interim

I am old enough to remember life before we joined the common market No one was aware at that time that the aim was political union across europe. Had they known, i don't believe it would have received a single vote.

Now we are out, we will be negotiating trade deals with other countries in europe, we will be setting up a common market .... which is what was originally voted for.

You don't see anyone complaining about the prospect of a trade deal, we all want it, so the original vote and aim has been restored.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 04:53 PM #282
You know my methods

You know my methods

I still think (my opinion) that a lot of younger voters were voting to stay in Europe geographically and now think that they are not in Europe
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 04:56 PM #283

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
I still think (my opinion) that a lot of younger voters were voting to stay in Europe geographically and now think that they are not in Europe
I wonder if everyone realises we are still all Europeans
We haven't changed geographically.
Ooooooh it will beggar the football up a fair bit as well

Last edited by smudgie; 25-06-2016 at 04:57 PM.
Old 25-06-2016, 05:02 PM #284
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
While these people do exist, you are referring to stupid voters, not younger voters, and believe me these people span the entire range of ages.

You would be staggered - utterly staggered - by the number of punters (in general, men aged 40 - 60) who have commented today and yesterday about how it's "England's Last Euro's".

"Those arseholes won't be there next time anyway ha ha!"

"Och, would be nice for them to win, since it's their last..."

Seriously.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 05:05 PM #285
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
Now we are out, we will be negotiating trade deals with other countries in europe, we will be setting up a common market .... which is what was originally voted for.

You don't see anyone complaining about the prospect of a trade deal, we all want it, so the original vote and aim has been restored.

If EU members make it easy for the UK to set up beneficial trade agreements, if they allow the UK to prosper, they will be demonstrating that the UK's exit was a good idea and that may well trigger exits across the board and the complete dismantlement of the EU.

With that in mind;

Do you honestly believe that the bigger pro-EU governments will make it easy for the UK to set up any way decent trade deals?

Honestly?
Old 25-06-2016, 05:07 PM #286
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
While these people do exist, you are referring to stupid voters, not younger voters, and believe me these people span the entire range of ages.

You would be staggered - utterly staggered - by the number of punters (in general, men aged 40 - 60) who have commented today and yesterday about how it's "England's Last Euro's".

Seriously.

Somebody said this at work yesterday, so what are we now we are no longer in Europe? Honestly I give up at times
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 05:09 PM #287
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
If EU members make it easy for the UK to set up beneficial trade agreements, if they allow the UK to prosper, they will be demonstrating that the UK's exit was a good idea and that may well trigger exits across the board and the complete dismantlement of the EU.

With that in mind;

Do you honestly believe that the bigger pro-EU governments will make it easy for the UK to set up any way decent trade deals?

Honestly?
I know you didn't ask me this question, but...

They're still going to want to sell their sh1t to us, it's not a one-way street. So... yes.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 05:11 PM #288
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:

With that in mind;

Honestly?
Well, I voted to remain

But, there will be a lot of gesturing initially. The EU want to strike while its all fresh in the mind, hoping to put the UK at a disadvantage by common agreement. We should and will take it slowly, negotiating deals with countries that provide the best mutual benefit first. Once they are defined and agreed, the smaller countries will have to fall into line
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 05:12 PM #289

Quote:
Some good points Smudgie. As you say, we did not have internet back then, but the 'young' people today have, and most of them are very skilled in using it.

Which is one of the things which annoyed me about some young people moaning before the EU Referendum that they 'could not find any information' and were 'confused'. There are hundreds of thousands of pages on the internet about the EU - googling brings them all up.

I bet they would not be confused about where to find information on the latest video game or what style of weaves Paris Hilton is curently wearing - their little fingers would be googling at the speed of light.

kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 05:13 PM #290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Somebody said this at work yesterday, so what are we now we are no longer in Europe? Honestly I give up at times
Great point Cherie.

kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 05:17 PM #291

Very happy - especially seeing the spiteful way the other Euro leaders are now treating the UK.

Petty behaviour. Pathetic. Showing their true colors now.
Gusto Brunt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 05:19 PM #292
Lisa Scott-Lee Expert

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 6: Siannise

Lisa Scott-Lee Expert

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 6: Siannise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusto Brunt View Post
Very happy - especially seeing the spiteful way the other Euro leaders are now treating the UK.

Petty behaviour. Pathetic. Showing their true colors now.
A group of people who are going to cap your knees because you disagree with them or want to part ways is a group you don't want to be a part of - like the mafia or the plastics.
Wizard. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 05:21 PM #293
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I know you didn't ask me this question, but...

They're still going to want to sell their sh1t to us, it's not a one-way street. So... yes.
The UK is now the outsider with no safety net. It is the weakest possible negotiating position. Less to offer, less ability to hold out for more... the deals that can realistically be struck with EU member countries are always going to be skewed to the other country's advantage.
Old 25-06-2016, 05:21 PM #294
Banned

Favourites (more):
BB14: Gina
CBB 11: Speidi

Banned

Favourites (more):
BB14: Gina
CBB 11: Speidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklancaster View Post
Some good points Smudgie. As you say, we did not have internet back then, but the 'young' people today have, and most of them are very skilled in using it.

Which is one of the things which annoyed me about some young people moaning before the EU Referendum that they 'could not find any information' and were 'confused'. There are hundreds of thousands of pages on the internet about the EU - googling brings them all up.

I bet they would not be confused about where to find information on the latest video game or what style of weaves Paris Hilton is curently wearing - their little fingers would be googling at the speed of light.
Those kids are talking BS saying that they can't find information on the EU but yet it only takes them 3 clicks to get Pamela Anderson having sex on a boat.
Johnnyuk123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 05:24 PM #295

I think we were once called an 'irrelevant' country by the other Euro leaders.

If that's the case why is our exit causing them all to go into paroxysms of fear. They are like headless chickens.

The UK will always be great.

We are the best country in the world. Look at our music, our arts. Our scientists, specialists...adored the world over.

The Americans actually come here to film their movies. The back of the queue my ****.

TALENT.

Last edited by Gusto Brunt; 25-06-2016 at 05:25 PM.
Gusto Brunt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 05:27 PM #296
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
The UK is now the outsider with no safety net. It is the weakest possible negotiating position. Less to offer, less ability to hold out for more... the deals that can realistically be struck with EU member countries are always going to be skewed to the other country's advantage.
Well, for instance, the UK is BMW's fourth largest market after China, the USA and Germany. If they want to continue to sell to us there will have to be an agreement that favours us too.

We'll have to wait and see, of course... but I don't believe for one minute it's going to be as bad as your painting it, quite the reverse.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 05:27 PM #297
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:

Seriously.

Yes I think you are right
Old 25-06-2016, 05:28 PM #298
You know my methods

You know my methods

I note the vile CBI have now changed their tune and are rather optimistic of the pre brexit UK

Old 25-06-2016, 05:30 PM #299
oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusto Brunt View Post
We are the best country in the world.
screaming
Jack_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 05:31 PM #300
Starf⭐cker

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash

Starf⭐cker

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash

Quote:
Just had a thought.
What are we going to do about the Euro Lottery once we come out?
Will we keep it but only for the British, change the name etc....in other words just do the normal national lottery but on 4 days a week, can't see the lottery people wanting to miss a trick.
"As of 10.00am on Friday 24th June 2016, the UK has voted for Brexit. This will not affect the ability of UK residents to play EuroMillions; visit the EuroMillions Brexit page for more information.

Regardless of whether the UK remains in the EU or not, players will still be able to buy EuroMillions tickets, just like Great Britain will still enter EuroVision each year and European football competitions will stay the same. However, the economy is likely to be affected and shifting exchange rates will be analysed closely, and this could have a direct effect on the value of EuroMillions prizes won in the UK."

https://www.euro-millions.com/news/h...ions-in-the-uk
_Tom_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
disappointed, eu, pleased, referendum, result