Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 26-03-2017, 09:50 PM #101
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
I find those stats a bit difficult to believe, especially in a Yorkshire area.

If you wish to fear the impossible then you are free to do so, it doesn't make it any more likely of happening. Like I said before, it's impossible for an extremist section of Islam to take hold in the UK and become a majority and nothing is going to change that. When you understand how population growth. government and the process of changing legislation, laws and political systems work you'll see that there's nothing to fear.

As I said before, if you think you are at any risk of becoming a minority and somehow being forced into Islam by extremists then you may as well check the moon every night to see if it's fallen out of the sky because the odds of those events happening are pretty much the same.

So whenever you accuse me of sexism you're trying to intimidate me into silence?
It is quite a reasonable comment when you refer to female posters as dear, love etc when in disagreement with them.

Most on here accusesd of racism have only expressed concerns about Islam and its practices. That has nothing to do with race for a start. Religion is not a race.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 09:54 PM #102

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):

Not a Hopkins fan but she has some good points here

Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 10:00 PM #103
Banned

Banned

'BREAKING : Katie Hopkins SAVAGES Britain's Pathetic Liberals'
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 09:51 AM #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tozzie View Post
Yes, now leave me alone whilst I meditate
Old 27-03-2017, 10:39 AM #105
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
Not a Hopkins fan but she has some good points here

I never thought I would agree with Hopkins on anything, but the "reclaiming the bridge" stuff was very cringey and totally inappropriate given people had died there just a day earlier, people taking selfies and shouting we are not afraid, it was all a bit tasteless really.
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 10:46 AM #106
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
It's not positivity, it's common sense and you aren't becoming a minority, you'll never be a minority and you shouldn't fear Muslims, no group of people have suffered more loss at the hands of 'islamic' terrorists have suffered than Muslims themselves.

If you're going to worry about extremists taking over then you may as well fear the moon crashing into us because they both have the same likelihood of happening.
She has just told you that in the area she lives she is in the minority, I understand what she is saying I live in a similar area the difference is I have always lived in multicultural boroughs in London so I am perfectly used to it, if however I returned to Ireland and found the area I grew up was now completely changed culturally I probably would have an issue with that!! I think for some of the older generations they have seen so much change in their life time it is difficult to comes to terms with it. If you have grown up with it as my kids have they have no issues whatsoever but I have have a 85 year old neighbour who remembers when the area was different and has a different view, that's not racism that is someone who has seen a complete change in their lifetime and is not happy at the loss of her community and neighbourhood.

Last edited by Cherie; 27-03-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Old 27-03-2017, 11:10 AM #107
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
She has just told you that in the area she lives she is in the minority, I understand what she is saying I live in a similar area the difference is I have always lived in multicultural boroughs in London so I am perfectly used to it, if however I returned to Ireland and found the area I grew up was now completely changed culturally I probably would have an issue with that!! I think for some of the older generations they have seen so much change in their life time it is difficult to comes to terms with it. If you have grown up with it as my kids have they have no issues whatsoever but I have have a 85 year old neighbour who remembers when the area was different and has a different view, that's not racism that is someone who has seen a complete change in their lifetime and is not happy at the loss of her community and neighbourhood.
I can understand that but that's just life I guess, things change and evolve. The sense of community is less here than it was when I was younger too but that's not down to different cultures moving into areas it's just the way the world has moved. You asked earlier what it was like over here. I guess it's different from England because we don't have as much of areas being taken over by a certain group/groups, not that I've noticed anyway. It seems to me that attitudes towards immigrants are harsher over in Britain. Of course Ireland probably isn't high on the list as a target for ISIS either so maybe we're less worried? I don't know really

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 11:30 AM #108
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
I can understand that but that's just life I guess, things change and evolve. The sense of community is less here than it was when I was younger too but that's not down to different cultures moving into areas it's just the way the world has moved. You asked earlier what it was like over here. I guess it's different from England because we don't have as much of areas being taken over by a certain group/groups, not that I've noticed anyway. It seems to me that attitudes towards immigrants are harsher over in Britain. Of course Ireland probably isn't high on the list as a target for ISIS either so maybe we're less worried? I don't know really

Not just in relation to ISIS but to immigration in general. I asked because I found attitudes to people coming to work in Ireland as not as welcoming as they might be, I think it was all great during the Celtic Tiger but once that bubble burst there seemed to be a lot of anti Polish sentiment...I remember sitting in a hospital in Cork when my Mum was unwell and the cleaner was having a right moan about Polish people, when I said Ireland has been exporting people for years and it was their turn to give something back she looked quite taken aback its a sentiment I heard a few times on visits, again that is not everyone, just like here in the UK, I am not sure how any major town in Ireland would react to Irish people being in the minority either

Last edited by Cherie; 27-03-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Old 27-03-2017, 11:33 AM #109

There's a picture going around Facebook, of the damage done to London during the IRA bombing. It says something like, 'we didn't can all Irish or Catholic folks after this, and we're not going to do it now'. Makes perfect sense to me.
Old 27-03-2017, 11:36 AM #110
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
There's a picture going around Facebook, of the damage done to London during the IRA bombing. It says something like, 'we didn't can all Irish or Catholic folks after this, and we're not going to do it now'. Makes perfect sense to me.
err....lots of people did and still do....
Old 27-03-2017, 11:38 AM #111
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Not just in relation to ISIS but to immigration in general. I asked because I found attitudes to people coming to work in Ireland as not as welcoming as they might be, I think it was all great during the Celtic Tiger but once that bubble burst there seemed to be a lot of anti Polish sentiment...I remember sitting in a hospital in Cork when my Mum was unwell and the cleaner was having a right moan about Polish people, when I said Ireland has been exporting people for years and it was their turn to give something back she looked quite taken aback its a sentiment I heard a few times on visits, again that is not everyone, just like here in the UK, I am not sure how any major town in Ireland would react to Irish people being in the minority either
I think that may have been during the very worst time of the recession, there are still quite a lot of Polish people here but I never hear anyone giving out about them (where as I did a bit just after the bubble burst) What I will say though is the Polish over here have really integrated well, it definitely makes things harder when whatever nationality it is don't do that but I think that can be contributed to on both sides, like we'll say african refugees that came over here, they would be all placed in areas together so we're contributing to making "ghettos" (for lack of a better word) and alienating them, as well as them choosing to stick together

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Old 27-03-2017, 11:40 AM #112
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
Quote:
err....lots of people did and still do....
Yeah tbf that's not entirely true DR, even back in the late 90's when I was over in London I used to get some comments etc directed at me/being Irish so i can only imagine it was even worse back in the 70's/80's

I think people like to remember things a bit more rose tinted

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 27-03-2017, 11:45 AM #113
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Yeah tbf that's not entirely true DR, even back in the late 90's when I was over in London I used to get some comments etc directed at me/being Irish so i can only imagine it was even worse back in the 70's/80's

I think people like to remember things a bit more rose tinted
I remember reading an article after 9/11 saying Muslims are the new Irish in Britain and its so true, people have forgotton how badly the Irish were treated during the Troubles, it's only in recent years the BNP took the Irish off their leafleting campaigns
Old 27-03-2017, 11:46 AM #114

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
What do you think the reason is for attitudes towards immigrants not being as harsh in Ireland?

I would suggest that it's because you're not experiencing it.If you got whole areas taken over i can guarantee attitudes would be exactly the same.
Old 27-03-2017, 11:49 AM #115
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
What do you think the reason is for attitudes towards immigrants not being as harsh in Ireland?

I would suggest that it's because you're not experiencing it.If you got whole areas taken over i can guarantee attitudes would be exactly the same.
Yeah maybe so NM that coupled with us probably not being overly worried about being a target for ISIS. I think maybe the only reason they would think about targeting Ireland is if they targeted Shannon Airport because the American air force use there to refuel

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 27-03-2017, 11:53 AM #116

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Yeah maybe so NM that coupled with us probably not being overly worried about being a target for ISIS. I think maybe the only reason they would think about targeting Ireland is if they targeted Shannon Airport because the American air force use there to refuel
Yeah i think their narrative for attacking Britain and France etc and the US is that we're at war with them in Syria/Iraq.I don't think Ireland is on their radar.
Old 27-03-2017, 12:21 PM #117
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
It is quite a reasonable comment when you refer to female posters as dear, love etc when in disagreement with them.

Most on here accusesd of racism have only expressed concerns about Islam and its practices. That has nothing to do with race for a start. Religion is not a race.
As it's been established before, I tend to call both male and female members dear. Ignoring the facts doesn't make them disappear, Brillo. Paiting me as sexist in an effort to repress what I have to say and then complain about being a called a racist because it 'intimidates' you makes you a gargantuan hypocrite, as usual.

If someone accuses you of racism then defend yourself just like I've cosntantly refuted your cheap accusations of sexism that ultimately cheapen your position as a 'feminist' (Still not convinced you are, you only seem to be a feminist when you can use it as a weapon and that's not feminism.).
Old 27-03-2017, 12:28 PM #118
Banned

Banned

Quote:
It's her perception that she's a minority, it's not factual unless she can provide evidence. I doubt very much that a white christian/atheist/agnostic (whichever she is) person in Yorkshire is a minority.

Things change and grow, life is not stagnant and neither is culture. As an elderly woman who has seen so much change in her life, you'd think she'd understand that. It sounds like she remembers when the community was mostly white and dislikes the idea of diversity, her community hasn't been lost, it's evolved and I doubt it's changed that much that she's now a minority, that's just a fear that ignorant people have.
Old 27-03-2017, 12:44 PM #119
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Yeah i think their narrative for attacking Britain and France etc and the US is that we're at war with them in Syria/Iraq.I don't think Ireland is on their radar.
Fingers crossed anyway

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 27-03-2017, 12:53 PM #120
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
It's her perception that she's a minority, it's not factual unless she can provide evidence. I doubt very much that a white christian/atheist/agnostic (whichever she is) person in Yorkshire is a minority.

Things change and grow, life is not stagnant and neither is culture. As an elderly woman who has seen so much change in her life, you'd think she'd understand that. It sounds like she remembers when the community was mostly white and dislikes the idea of diversity, her community hasn't been lost, it's evolved and I doubt it's changed that much that she's now a minority, that's just a fear that ignorant people have.
So you don't believe she is in a minority even though she has produced percentages that clearly say she is Its her town I think she knows what she is talking about.
Old 27-03-2017, 01:15 PM #121

Find it absolutely cringeworthy when White people express fear of becoming a Minority in Western Countries. This country could just about accept an ethnic minority London Mayor, The majority of the country voted for Brexit and won with their main and only objective being to stop the bloody immigrants and yet we are suppose to take those fears seriously? My uncle on my Mother side is the absolute worst with it too.

Last edited by Brother Leon; 27-03-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Brother Leon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 01:16 PM #122
Banned

Banned

Quote:
So you don't believe she is in a minority even though she has produced percentages that clearly say she is Its her town I think she knows what she is talking about.
She's produced numbers, I can do the same and it would be equally worthless without solid evidence to back it up.

It's her PERCEPTION of her town and not a reliable one either.
Old 27-03-2017, 01:17 PM #123
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Leon View Post
Find it absolutely cringeworthy when White people express fear of becoming a Minority in Western Countries. This country could just about accept an ethnic minority London Mayor, The majority of the country voted for Brexit and won with their main and only objective being to stop the bloody immigrants and yet we are suppose to take those fears seriously? My uncle on my Mother side is the absolute worst with it too.
Exactly, it's completely irrational.
Old 27-03-2017, 01:39 PM #124
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Leon View Post
You will find that a lot of minorities voted for Brexit, I've lost count of the number of immigrants who said they didn't want any more I work with an Polish lady who likes to live among white British people...you could not make this shiz up, but its out there.
Old 27-03-2017, 01:45 PM #125
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
She's produced numbers, I can do the same and it would be equally worthless without solid evidence to back it up.

It's her PERCEPTION of her town and not a reliable one either.
I think it's more reliable than your PERCEPTION as you don't live there.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
brits, lot, multiculturalism, night, television, trashed, uk