Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

General Chat General discussion. Want to chat about anything not covered in another forum - This is the place!

Old 25-03-2017, 06:27 AM #51

Wow, this thread is totally indicative of what is wrong with this site at the moment. The OP asked for opinions on an article and was immediately called racist and accused of calling Khan an extremist. Not everyone is as well informed on certain things. Instead of jumping and accusing and answering sarcastically maybe the better option is to try and educate people on matters rather than assume the worst in people which is how bad feeling festers and people stop posting on here for fear of being jumped on.

I have learnt plenty reading posts on issues I am ill informed on but had questioned something and had my questions treated as bigotry in some shape of form I wouldn't have asked again and then I would never have learned and continued woth jy original train of thought.
Old 25-03-2017, 07:44 AM #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tozzie View Post
Taking posters down isn't going to stop young women wanting to be skinny.
No, but it's a start.
Ashley. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 08:08 AM #53
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
You asked me for proof, I offered a reason why my opinion is informed. I didn't say anything about needing qualifications to have an opinion so I'm not sure what you are going on about. I guess this is what happens when you are more concerned about getting on up on someone than having an actual discussion.

Advertising is more complex than what you think, it's psychological, it's analytical, everything has to be considered and everything has serve a function. To downplay that shows your lack of understanding about what advertising entails.
That seems to be more your issue than mine.

You would have to live under a rock not to have some understanding of how advertising works, hence my comment on rocket science
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 08:14 AM #54

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I'm interested to know what British people think about a muslim man banning bikini clad women on adverts. We all know many Muslim men don't like their women to show any part of their body so is this the beginning of Muslims taking control of how we conduct our country? I myself am an overweight woman and I have no qualms about models showing off their bodies.

What about you?

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...ndon-transport
IF they don't like our culture and way of life ,go back to where those beliefs are normal,we live in a country that are used to these things,so why should we cow tow to backward thinking people.

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 08:16 AM #55

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieK View Post
Wow, this thread is totally indicative of what is wrong with this site at the moment. The OP asked for opinions on an article and was immediately called racist and accused of calling Khan an extremist. Not everyone is as well informed on certain things. Instead of jumping and accusing and answering sarcastically maybe the better option is to try and educate people on matters rather than assume the worst in people which is how bad feeling festers and people stop posting on here for fear of being jumped on.

I have learnt plenty reading posts on issues I am ill informed on but had questioned something and had my questions treated as bigotry in some shape of form I wouldn't have asked again and then I would never have learned and continued woth jy original train of thought.
Fantastic post Annie,well said

Old 25-03-2017, 08:19 AM #56

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

[QUOTE=Tozzie;9260817]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB. View Post
I mean ZOMG LOOK AT HIS WIFE YOU CAN BARELY SEE HER THROUGH THAT GREAT BIG GIANT BURKA

Whats with the caps? calm down. Bikini clad women have been around for many many years in this country on posters and the like. Taking posters down isn't going to stop young women wanting to be skinny. I don't see him making them take posters down of muscle men models or half naked men!
Lets get real Tozzie ,it's nothing to do with weight that just takes the heat off them a bit,it's simple ,some men think they own women and their bodies and can tell them what to wear and how to live,well not in Britain they can't.

Old 25-03-2017, 08:23 AM #57

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Its always been the same, most men don't fancy obese women and unfortunately many women are out to please men Of course I know there are men that fancy fat women but not that many I don't think. Would it be acceptable if a model is a healthy weight on a billboard? I think he would still have wanted it banning. Women should have a choice to model in bikinis, by banning them he is trying to take away their choice for his own personal reasons
Don't you try telling the truth in here,it wont work

Old 25-03-2017, 09:59 AM #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjuniper View Post
Instead of looking at ads like these to 'shame people', why not look at them as something to admire and maybe create in us a little spark of 'I wouldn't mind looking like that'. Some people need outside stimulus to promote a little ambition and drive within ourselves. Although having said that, most normal, sensible people just look at it, think 'nice' and move on.-
I am so sick of the populace being wrapped in cotton wool and protected from every little thing that might offend them or lower their self esteem. This is what obese people who have no intention of changing their ways rely on, a society that says 'There there, it's not your fault that you have no self control'.
I agree with this in principle and I don't think there's anything wrong with having attractive people in advertising and 'admiring' them or whatever, but I think the issue people had with this ad in particular was that a lot of people thought the model looked unhealthily thin, so I don't think the issue was just that it might offend obese or fat people, I think it was also that it was seen as something that could potentially have a damaging effect on people with eating disorders, and I think we should try and protect those people if we can.

BBCAN: Erica | Will | Veronica | Johnny | Alejandra | Ryan | Paras
Jamie89 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 11:23 AM #59
Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

It is odd that many self proclaimed "femininists" are outraged when they believe a male muslim tells them that they should wear a burqa, but are fine when a male ad director tells them to wear a bikini.
Its even more odd when they are further outraged when a male muslim has clearly made an active effort to prove he is against both of these things.
If you put male muslims in a spot where they can never win, then you should expect your argument (and yourself in general) to be taken less seriously.
The male muslim in discussion is a better feminist than anyone against this decision imo.

Last edited by Withano; 25-03-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Withano is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 11:33 AM #60
Lion Queen

Favourites (more):
BB14: Dexter
I'm a Celeb 2012: David Haye
Lion Queen

Favourites (more):
BB14: Dexter
I'm a Celeb 2012: David Haye

Quote:
*2016 (the article's ten months old and isn't actually relevant to anything, so why this thread even exists now I don't know)
I posted it because I only just saw about it yesterday, didn't know it was 10months old, anyhow what if it is old news, I was interested in what people thought, this is a debate forum, all I have sensed from you MB is aggression of my original post, I have a right to post, but oh, sorry I forgot, not if it may offend someone. Freedom of speech was once allowed, if it offended so be it, people dealt with it, not like now, we just pussyfoot around not daring to open our mouths or question our thoughts.

Me
Tozzie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 12:35 PM #61
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
That seems to be more your issue than mine.

You would have to live under a rock not to have some understanding of how advertising works, hence my comment on rocket science
Well considering I'm sticking to the topic and you seem more concerned with scoring points then what you are saying doesn't make much sense.

Advertising is not a simple thing, it's an exact science. It requires research, a psychological understanding of the target audience and creativity. Advertising in high traffic (thus high cost) areas like London isn't like writing up a poster for your local car boot sale, it's not simple. It's a process.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 12:42 PM #62
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Well considering I'm sticking to the topic and you seem more concerned with scoring points then what you are saying doesn't make much sense.

Advertising is not a simple thing, it's an exact science. It requires research, a psychological understanding of the target audience and creativity. Advertising in high traffic (thus high cost) areas like London isn't like writing up a poster for your local car boot sale, it's not simple. It's a process.

Really thanks for sharing
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 01:03 PM #63

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I posted it because I only just saw about it yesterday, didn't know it was 10months old, anyhow what if it is old news, I was interested in what people thought, this is a debate forum, all I have sensed from you MB is aggression of my original post, I have a right to post, but oh, sorry I forgot, not if it may offend someone. Freedom of speech was once allowed, if it offended so be it, people dealt with it, not like now, we just pussyfoot around not daring to open our mouths or question our thoughts.
Tozzie,and people wonder why people leave or don't bother to post.pfft. for what it's worth I agree with you totally,good for you standing by your beliefs, your not a bad person if you don't run with the PC crowd, don't ever change who you are.

Last edited by Kazanne; 25-03-2017 at 01:09 PM.
Old 25-03-2017, 01:04 PM #64
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withano View Post
It is odd that many self proclaimed "femininists" are outraged when they believe a male muslim tells them that they should wear a burqa, but are fine when a male ad director tells them to wear a bikini.
Its even more odd when they are further outraged when a male muslim has clearly made an active effort to prove he is against both of these things.
If you put male muslims in a spot where they can never win, then you should expect your argument (and yourself in general) to be taken less seriously.
The male muslim in discussion is a better feminist than anyone against this decision imo.
The difference between the male Muslim and an ad director is that she chooses to do so for the ad director for career reasons. No one is forcing her to do it, she could leave at any time.

I don''t approve of women being sexualised or being too thin but that doesn't compare in my opinion to the 'property' message a burka gives out.

No man anywhere owns any woman, much as he may like to think he does - it is all in his silly little egotistical head.

Last edited by Brillopad; 25-03-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 01:07 PM #65
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
[/B]

Really thanks for sharing
Do you actually have anything to add to the discussion because your input seems mostly focused around failed attempts to undermine me rather than to actually add anything of value.
Old 25-03-2017, 01:12 PM #66
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
The difference between the male Muslim and an ad director is that she chooses to do so for the ad director for career reasons. No one is forcing her to do it, she could leave at any time.

I don''t approve of women being sexualised or being too thin but that doesn't compare in my opinion to the 'property' message a burka gives out.
A model will not get very far in their career if they walked out of jobs because they didn't like the clothes. You are defending what is essentially an illusion of choice.

There's a lot of Muslim women who would stand for the right to wear the Burkha, Hijab and other forms of religious head scarfs though. Is it really a feminist thing to dictate what they are allowed to wear because you disagree with it? How is that any different?
Old 25-03-2017, 01:15 PM #67
like the boys

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Minh-Ly
Survivor 40: Michele

like the boys

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Minh-Ly
Survivor 40: Michele

Quote:
And it's in my freedom of speech to point out that saying "Sadiq Khan wants to Islamify Britain and this unrelated thing is proof of that" has some pretty racist undertones... I appreciate that's not what you're saying (only asking the question), but I know for a fact there are others on this forum who believe that kind of thing

Spoiler:

MB. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 01:23 PM #68
Ninastar

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Michelle Visage
X Factor 2014: Fleur East

Ninastar

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Michelle Visage
X Factor 2014: Fleur East

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieK View Post

Extremely well put and the main reason I can't deal with the maturity of serious debates anymore. Its without a doubt the worst thing about politics. If you cannot keep an open mind and talk to someone without belittling them or anyone who thinks like them, then you're only going to make people think the opposite of what you believe.

You cannot expect 'uneducated' (as they call them) people to change their views on something, if you're going to be a condescending piece of **** to them.
Old 25-03-2017, 01:32 PM #69

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
And it's in my freedom of speech to point out that saying "Sadiq Khan wants to Islamify Britain and this unrelated thing is proof of that" has some pretty racist undertones... I appreciate that's not what you're saying (only asking the question), but I know for a fact there are others on this forum who believe that kind of thing
As said so many times .it's not what you say but how you say it,I also thought your responses were hostile, this had the makings of a good thread until those who think they know better than anyone else came in and try a force their views over.

Old 25-03-2017, 05:24 PM #70
The Italian Job

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
CBB18: Christopher Biggins

The Italian Job

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
CBB18: Christopher Biggins

Quote:
I'm interested to know what British people think about a muslim man banning bikini clad women on adverts. We all know many Muslim men don't like their women to show any part of their body so is this the beginning of Muslims taking control of how we conduct our country? I myself am an overweight woman and I have no qualms about models showing off their bodies.

What about you?

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...ndon-transport
I'm on his side. The average woman does not look like the models we see on the ads. I'm not offended by those ads, but i think as long as you're healthy you don't need to be a certain weight. It seems to me that those ads with women in bikini objectify women. There's more to a woman than the way she looks.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
thoughts