Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-03-2018, 08:59 PM   #1
Brillopad
User banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 6,121
Blog Entries: 2
Default The city that made misogyny a hate crime

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/v...sogyny-illegal

This sounds a pretty good idea to me in theory considering how big an issue it is and how most women have exoerienced it to varying degrees at least once in their life, but it seems that it makes little difference to many. The message is simply not getting through.

Last edited by Brillopad; 20-03-2018 at 09:07 PM.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 09:47 PM   #2
Oliver_W
#BatmanLovesMilk
 
Oliver_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Bill's Secret Garden
Posts: 11,349

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley


Default

This is a Vice article, so it's probably complete horsecrap.

Quote:
Leering, groping, stalking, taking unwanted photos, sexually explicit language, unwanted sexual advances and online abuse are among the incidents that can be flagged.
So things which were either crimes or anti-social behaviour anyway?
__________________

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 10:05 PM   #3
Marsh.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 80,028


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
This is a Vice article, so it's probably complete horsecrap.


So things which were either crimes or anti-social behaviour anyway?
Yeah. They don't fall under misogyny, they come under abuse, assault and stalking.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 10:58 PM   #4
parmnion
I'm a brawbag
 
parmnion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ESSEX via scotland
Posts: 33,693

Favourites:
BB18: Deborah
CBB18: Heavy D
BB17: Hughie
BB4: Cameron


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/v...sogyny-illegal

This sounds a pretty good idea to me in theory considering how big an issue it is and how most women have exoerienced it to varying degrees at least once in their life, but it seems that it makes little difference to many. The message is simply not getting through.
But isnt misogyny on the decline in this country.
parmnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 11:06 PM   #5
Marsh.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 80,028


Default

Misandry is actually on the rise.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 12:26 AM   #6
montblanc
haunted
 
montblanc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 12,657

Favourites (more):
Love Island 5: Amber
Love Island 3: Marino
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB 11: Lacey Banghard


Default

we love a law
__________________





Spoiler:


montblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 07:58 AM   #7
LeatherTrumpet
Senile Member
 
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 75,263


Default

Since the enforcement began, there have been 167 reports of misogyny. Of these, 68 were treated as hate crimes, including public order offences, harassment and assault, and 99 were treated as hate incidents, such as intimidating behaviour, inappropriate sexual comments and verbal abuse. The reports have led to four arrests and one charge.


LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 08:02 AM   #8
Marsh.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 80,028


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
Since the enforcement began, there have been 167 reports of misogyny. Of these, 68 were treated as hate crimes, including public order offences, harassment and assault, and 99 were treated as hate incidents, such as intimidating behaviour, inappropriate sexual comments and verbal abuse. The reports have led to four arrests and one charge.


So were basically criminal offences anyway and didn't require people in their ignorant quest for equality to actually perpetuate inequality.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 08:07 AM   #9
Brillopad
User banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 6,121
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
So were basically criminal offences anyway and didn't require people in their ignorant quest for equality to actually perpetuate inequality.
Could you not say exactly the same about other offences such as racism, religious intolerance and tr@nsphobia all classed as hate crimes - whatís the difference?

Why should misogyny not be classed as a hate crime when it clearly is? Should we remove the offence of hate crimes altogether then? It really should be all or nothing. Anything else is blatant discrimination. .
Brillopad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 08:15 AM   #10
Marsh.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 80,028


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
Could you not say exactly the same about other offences such as racism, religious intolerance and tr@nsphobia.
No.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 08:18 AM   #11
Brillopad
User banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 6,121
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
No.
Why! Misosgny is a hate crime in exactly the same way and should be treated accordingly. I repeat anything else is blatant discrimination.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 08:39 AM   #12
kirklancaster
Senior Member
 
kirklancaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 13,376


Default

Nottingham was famous in my youth for boasting a 2.5 to 1 ratio of Females to Males and was THE destination for groups of hopeful but stupid men who were out to get 'lucky' with all those 'available' girls.

It comes as no surprise, therefore, that decades later the city has a 'Misogyny' problem.

By the way - and purely in my opinion - Misogyny really is a 'Hate Crime' - on a par with, and as old as 'Racism', 'Homophobia', Transphobia or any other 'phobia', and should NOT be tolerated.
__________________
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts". Daniel Patrick Moynihan (1927-2003)
.................................................. ..
Press The Spoiler Button to See All My Songs

kirklancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 09:41 AM   #13
Marsh.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 80,028


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
Why! Misosgny is a hate crime in exactly the same way and should be treated accordingly. I repeat anything else is blatant discrimination.
Not the same thing.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 09:57 AM   #14
Brillopad
User banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 6,121
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
Not the same thing.
Why is it not the same thing - unless you can provide a valid reason for why it means nothing.

But then you are not a Woman and havenít been on the receiving end have you. Physically women are more vulnerable and that vulnerability is abused all the time by hateful men. How anyone can state it is not a hate crime is seriously laughable and reeks of agendas.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 10:10 AM   #15
Niamh.
I Love my brick
 
Niamh.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ireland-The peoples Republic of Cork!
Posts: 133,030

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
CBB21: Shane Lynch


Default

Closed for cleaning, just a warning aswell for this thread when I reopen it and for any others in here, if people continue to just attack eachother rather than sticking to the topics of threads then I will just ban you from SDs. It's getting tiresome now and all the threads in here are being ruined.
__________________

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post



Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 10:13 AM   #16
user17866
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 57,452


Default

...actually Oliver I’m going to take it a bit more off dierection../...apologies...and just because the Anne Hegerty thread is closed now...so following on...


...I googled a little bit ...and it seems that many female feminists would prefer ‘non trans’ to ‘cis’...if a term had to be applied at all...but ‘woman’ has always faced suppression in society and in recent years, is only just becoming more powerful...or of more equal power to ‘man’...in some areas, still a struggle etc...the news story at the moment of the leads in The Crown TV series...being an example of equality still not having been reached and ‘man’ having more power than ‘woman’, we could say...their salaries weren’t equal, his was higher..and yet she was The Crown...the title character portrayed...so it’s only recent times that ‘woman’ is being reclaimed as it were in its power and it’s equality...so then woman is told it’s not woman, it’s cis-woman...leaving no choice, leaving ‘suppression’ felt again, surely...?...’man’ has never felt those suppression’s, so it wouldn’t have the same impact of association...if in general a cis-man feels fine about it, you know...but some women don’t at all...and then it’s down to our individuality like all things...I’m fine with it, actually I hadn’t been familiar with it until these discussions...but I completely understand why many women wouldn’t feel so open to it...because they didn’t choose it, they were give no choice and no choice in certain things is something that ‘woman’ is very familiar with...

Last edited by Niamh.; 21-03-2018 at 10:16 AM.
user17866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 10:14 AM   #17
user17866
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 57,452


Default

....oooops, I think I just got bolded...apologies Niamh, I think we posted around the same time...
user17866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 10:18 AM   #18
Marsh.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 80,028


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
Why is it not the same thing - unless you can provide a valid reason for why it means nothing.

But then you are not a Woman and havenít been on the receiving end have you. Physically women are more vulnerable and that vulnerability is abused all the time by hateful men. How anyone can state it is not a hate crime is seriously laughable and reeks of agendas.
Going for the fact I'm a man so I'm incapable of understanding really doesn't help your argument in the slightest.

Presuming I've never been on the receiving end of a hate crime there too. You don't know me.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 10:25 AM   #19
Brillopad
User banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 6,121
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
Going for the fact I'm a man so I'm incapable of understanding really doesn't help your argument in the slightest.

Presuming I've never been on the receiving end of a hate crime there too. You don't know me.
You have never been on the receiving end of being assaulted, verballly or sexually abused because you are a woman which is what I was clearly talking about.

Most women, as I mentioned earlier, have been to varying degrees as it goes on everywhere - on the streets, in the workplace, on public transport, in the home, on-line - you name it.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 10:32 AM   #20
Marsh.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 80,028


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
You have never been on the receiving end of being assaulted, verballly or sexually abused because you are a woman which is what I was clearly talking about.

Most women, as I mentioned earlier, have been to varying degrees as it goes on everywhere - on the streets, in the workplace, on public transport, in the home, on-line - you name it.
Rubbish.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 10:37 AM   #21
Livia
שטח זה להשכרה
 
Livia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brasov, Transylvania
Posts: 29,727


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
Misandry is actually on the rise.
Oh please Marshy...
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 10:37 AM   #22
Niamh.
I Love my brick
 
Niamh.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ireland-The peoples Republic of Cork!
Posts: 133,030

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
CBB21: Shane Lynch


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
Rubbish.
Really? You're stating that as a man, you can say with certainty that women don't face sexism? How is that any different than saying as a white person that you can say that black people don't face racism?

I'm not saying you can't give an opinion on it as a man but to say that you know better than women what they face/have faced seems a bit illogical
__________________

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post



Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 10:39 AM   #23
Livia
שטח זה להשכרה
 
Livia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brasov, Transylvania
Posts: 29,727


Default

I can't have escaped every female's notice, that the people posting negatively in threads about women are all men. Men who have never experienced casual sexual oppression in the way women have. And after thousands of years of men speaking for us, they have to learn that we don't need them to sort it out for us. We waited long enough, now we're going to sort it out ourselves.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 10:48 AM   #24
Marsh.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 80,028


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Really? You're stating that as a man, you can say with certainty that women don't face sexism? How is that any different than saying as a white person that you can say that black people don't face racism?

I'm not saying you can't give an opinion on it as a man but to say that you know better than women what they face/have faced seems a bit illogical
I didn't say women don't face sexism.

I also didn't say I knew better.

Do I think much of the attitude displayed in much of the OP's link? Not really. Nor do I think it justifies the casual sexism thrown at men as some kind of retaliation.

I don't wish to get all "the truth" on a topic about women, that's really not me. But it smacks of self victimisation. Especially in several topics on this forum when I'm told my opinion holds no validity as a man.

Equality doesn't come from a war with the group you want parity with imo. No, I'm not a woman, does that make me incapable of comprehending injustice or discrimination? No. Does it make me incapable of relating to a fellow human being? No.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 10:50 AM   #25
Marsh.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 80,028


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I can't have escaped every female's notice, that the people posting negatively in threads about women are all men. Men who have never experienced casual sexual oppression in the way women have. And after thousands of years of men speaking for us, they have to learn that we don't need them to sort it out for us. We waited long enough, now we're going to sort it out ourselves.
No. But you won't point out all of the female posters making regular condescending and derogatory remarks about men and male posters. That doesn't fit the narrative.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
city, crime, hate, made, misogyny

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:57 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
no new posts