Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Big Brother: BB1 - BB19 Individual forums for Big Brother UK series 1- 19 (2000-2018). Also Celebrity Hijack (2008) and Ultimate Big Brother (2010).

View Poll Results: Best Golden Era First Week
BB5 1 5.26%
BB5
1 5.26%
BB6 10 52.63%
BB6
10 52.63%
BB7 8 42.11%
BB7
8 42.11%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-04-2018, 08:23 PM #1
Why So Serious?

Favourites (more):
Love Island 6: Shaughna
DOI 2020: Maura Higgins

Why So Serious?

Favourites (more):

Default Best Golden Era First Week

The three Golden Era have all had a very strong start to their respective series.

BB5 Had Kitten rebeling against BB as well as Victor and Jason plotting against the Harem/Lip Gloss Bitches, Michelle all over Stuart and of course BBs fantastic back up plan to decrease the prize fund if kitten did not leave leaving her fellow housemates to pretty much push her out of the door.

BB6 had The Unlucky thirteen twist in which Makosi unknowingly put herself up for eviction by coming to the diary room first and having to get the most nominations by her fellow housemates to ensure her stay in the BB house. BB6 also had numerous arguments by the housemates.

BB7 had the Big Brotherhood twist in which the housemates were not official housemates and had to be apart of the big brotherhood in order to avoid eviction as well as it been the Shahbaz show.

I love all three but im gonna have to go with BB7. Although it was horrible and uncomfortable viewing with the bullying of Shahbaz, it was gripping and must watch television and it kick started the series with a bang. Its probably the strongest and best start to BB and i don't think it will ever be topped.

so which is your favourite?
Tony Montana is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:24 PM #2
A great thief

A great thief

5 > 6 > 7
Old 08-04-2018, 08:25 PM #3
Marc

Favourites (more):
BB10: Marcus
BB6: Science

Marc

Favourites (more):
BB10: Marcus
BB6: Science

7 > 5 > 6

I agree with what you said about BB7's opening week.
Babayaro. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:46 PM #4

7's first week is TRASH compared to the other two imo. If you don't count the Shahbaz stuff it's actually pretty uneventful, at least if you compare it to 5 and 6, and everyone in the cast I either didn't gravitate too much towards, had mixed feelings towards, or were downright awful.

5 had a much stronger cast presentation and was small but promising. It was probably quite unique at the time as well for the amount of vibrant personalities it included right from the start in such a small timeframe.

I'm going to have to give it to BB6 by a long shot though. Makosi was a breathtaking masterpiece in the first week, providing a whimsical and highly enjoyable secret mission of ****ing with all her housemates, and out of the three, it also gave the best indication for me of what was to come; a bunch of crazed people who probably failed the psych test living in a house together and getting on each other's nerves constantly over petty things like Science being greedy with meat or Maxwell making fun of Lesley's big boobs. It's kind of all over the place and misjumbled in its editing but I think that was always the beauty of BB6 that made it the stand-out series it is. I'd argue the first week is pretty underrated since it's one of the only series to kickstart its cliques and conflicts surprisingly early on and remaining that way right till the end.

Last edited by Epic.; 08-04-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Epic. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:51 PM #5
Namaste

Namaste

BB6
Lostie! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:10 PM #6

7 by far. Not exactly the best showcase of the housemates but really generated some interesting discussion which is really what reality television should be about.
Ashley. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:14 PM #7

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Kathryn
BBCanada 7: Dane

Favourites (more):

6>5>>7
Eddie. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:16 PM #8

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

^^BB5’s first week was just uneventful while BB7’s was vile.
Eddie. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:17 PM #9
TiBB’s Very Finest

Favourites (more):
BB19: Sian
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
TiBB’s Very Finest

Favourites (more):

BB7 ugh I need Shahbaz in my life x
Old 08-04-2018, 10:23 PM #10
Why So Serious?

Favourites (more):

Why So Serious?

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie. View Post
^^BB5’s first week was just uneventful while BB7’s was vile.
It might have been vile but you can't deny it was a phenomenal first week.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:25 PM #11
TiBB’s Very Finest

Favourites (more):
TiBB’s Very Finest

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarface95 View Post
It might have been vile but you can't deny it was a phenomenal first week.
Yeah I don’t get why being vile has anything to do with it being bad, BB6 had mostly a vile cast and that’s one of the best series
Old 08-04-2018, 10:27 PM #12
A great thief

A great thief

Someone vote for BB5 so I'm not a loner
Old 08-04-2018, 10:29 PM #13
Why So Serious?

Favourites (more):

Why So Serious?

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordi. View Post
Yeah I don’t get why being vile has anything to do with it being bad, BB6 had mostly a vile cast and that’s one of the best series
Exactly. All three had a fantastic first week. How would you rank them, Jordi?

Mine is 7>6>5
Old 08-04-2018, 10:31 PM #14

There's being vile and entertaining and then there's just vile. The Shahbaz stuff was just vile and there was no one to even support during it so I struggle to form any cohesive entertainment value out of it.

And honestly, I never got the 'Everyone in BB6 is nasty' argument that's quite common. The only outright nasty people I can think of were Lesley, Saskia, Maxwell, Derek and Makosi (and Craig in the later stages but this is only about the first week). Besides that, the easiest way to compare the cast is just by saying they're really over the top. When putting it side by side with BB7, I found BB6's first week arguments much more panto than watching Shahbaz mentally destroy himself followed by being isolated and harassed by most of the house. I don't even know why BB7 is winning the poll. It may have provided 'talking points' but if that's going to be used as an argument it kind of needs quality to back it up. It's a very quantity over quality approach to have and I don't even recall anything else of importance happening in the first week apart from messy Shahbaz.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:32 PM #15
TiBB’s Very Finest

Favourites (more):
TiBB’s Very Finest

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Exactly. All three had a fantastic first week. How would you rank them, Jordi?

Mine is 7>6>5
Yeah I agree and same as you tbh.
I get why he did but I wish Shahbaz didn’t leave, that first week was actually so good I can’t believe <3
Old 08-04-2018, 11:42 PM #16
TiBB’s Very Finest

Favourites (more):
TiBB’s Very Finest

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic. View Post
There's being vile and entertaining and then there's just vile. The Shahbaz stuff was just vile and there was no one to even support during it so I struggle to form any cohesive entertainment value out of it.

And honestly, I never got the 'Everyone in BB6 is nasty' argument that's quite common. The only outright nasty people I can think of were Lesley, Saskia, Maxwell, Derek and Makosi (and Craig in the later stages but this is only about the first week). Besides that, the easiest way to compare the cast is just by saying they're really over the top. When putting it side by side with BB7, I found BB6's first week arguments much more panto than watching Shahbaz mentally destroy himself followed by being isolated and harassed by most of the house. I don't even know why BB7 is winning the poll. It may have provided 'talking points' but if that's going to be used as an argument it kind of needs quality to back it up. It's a very quantity over quality approach to have and I don't even recall anything else of importance happening in the first week apart from messy Shahbaz.
I agree with the first bit in bold. Eg I found Katie Hopkins vile yet I thought she was extremely entertaining, and Helen was vile but I didn’t find most of her arguments entertaining. There’s no definite answer to this because people have different bars of what entertainment is and people have different limits on what is vile and not vile; some could argue that Shahbaz brought some of the isolation upon himself, hence not thinking the whole situation was too vile.

Quote:
And honestly, I never got the 'Everyone in BB6 is nasty' argument that's quite common. The only outright nasty people I can think of were Lesley, Saskia, Maxwell, Derek and Makosi (and Craig in the later stages but this is only about the first week).
Okay sorry but the people you listed were the most entertaining in BB6, so doesn’t this prove my point that being vile doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a bad thing?
Old 08-04-2018, 11:53 PM #17

Quote:
I agree with the first bit in bold. Eg I found Katie Hopkins vile yet I thought she was extremely entertaining, and Helen was vile but I didn’t find most of her arguments entertaining. There’s no definite answer to this because people have different bars of what entertainment is and people have different limits on what is vile and not vile; some could argue that Shahbaz brought some of the isolation upon himself, hence not thinking the whole situation was too vile.
Yeah sure the 'vile vs vile but entertaining' argument is very subjective so I'm not going to think it's unacceptable for people to favor BB7s first week the most or anything like that. But I will say it's weird how many seem to favor it yet Shahbaz's treatment I'd argue was even worse than what Shilpa got, and CBB5 is a very unpopular series that was out at the same time.

Quote:
Okay sorry but the people you listed were the most entertaining in BB6, so doesn’t this prove my point that being vile doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a bad thing?
Well not really. Most people did not find Lesley, Maxwell or Saskia entertaining. They brought a lot sure but none of those people are popular. As for Makosi, Craig and Derek whom I also included, they had other traits apart from being nasty people that makes them groundbreaking and classic housemates to many people; they're not really defined as being spiteful.

(also Kemal and Science are usually seen as 10x more entertaining than the outright nasty people of BB6 with no other traits (Lesley, Saskia, Maxwell) and both are as popular as the nasty but entertaining housemates like Makosi, Craig and Derek, an opinion by many.)

BB6 could be very nasty at times, there's no denying that, but there's much more of a balance to it, and its consistently nasty people like Makosi, Craig and Derek have a lot of humour and personality chimed in that makes them stellar housemates. In Shahbaz's case all I can really take from it is feeling bad for someone who emotionally drained themselves; it's also objectively less comedic than BB6 since BB7s first week was mostly about Shahbaz's negative impact on the house and the house's negative impact on him.

Last edited by Epic.; 08-04-2018 at 11:54 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:23 AM #18
TiBB’s Very Finest

Favourites (more):
TiBB’s Very Finest

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic. View Post
Yeah sure the 'vile vs vile but entertaining' argument is very subjective so I'm not going to think it's unacceptable for people to favor BB7s first week the most or anything like that. But I will say it's weird how many seem to favor it yet Shahbaz's treatment I'd argue was even worse than what Shilpa got, and CBB5 is a very unpopular series that was out at the same time.

Well not really. Most people did not find Lesley, Maxwell or Saskia entertaining. They brought a lot sure but none of those people are popular. As for Makosi, Craig and Derek whom I also included, they had other traits apart from being nasty people that makes them groundbreaking and classic housemates to many people; they're not really defined as being spiteful.

(also Kemal and Science are usually seen as 10x more entertaining than the outright nasty people of BB6 with no other traits (Lesley, Saskia, Maxwell) and both are as popular as the nasty but entertaining housemates like Makosi, Craig and Derek, an opinion by many.)

BB6 could be very nasty at times, there's no denying that, but there's much more of a balance to it, and its consistently nasty people like Makosi, Craig and Derek have a lot of humour and personality chimed in that makes them stellar housemates. In Shahbaz's case all I can really take from it is feeling bad for someone who emotionally drained themselves; it's also objectively less comedic than BB6 since BB7s first week was mostly about Shahbaz's negative impact on the house and the house's negative impact on him.
I think maybe the reason people don’t see Shahbaz’s treatment as that bad was because it happened in the first week and we got to see what the other HM’s were like later on. I know we’re only supposed to focus on the first week but idk whether it’s just me or not but I find it hard to look back and judge a HM and say that they were vile when they turn out alright. When I typed this Nikki cane to mind; she was awful when (I think she told the boys to take his clothes?) but because she spent so long being there and I ended up loving her, I shouldn’t do but I tend to disregard anything negative she did lol I’m so biased I need to work on that </3 also I don’t mean this in a belittling way but I think it was you who rewatched BB7 and mentioned that they had experienced being isolated before, so I guess that might have an impact on why you think the first week was so vile, because you could relate to it and you could feel how they were feeling?

And personally, I found Lesley, Saskia and Maxwell (although Lesley not as much) very entertaining. Again, I think this is subjective as to what entertains you and what kind of HM you like, eg I know I’m in the minority but I think Kemal is extremely overrated and I would rather watch a series with Saxwell in than Kemal in. I agree about the balance part though, and that’s why the three HM’s you mentioned are my faves of BB6, along with Science.

Again back to Shahbaz, I can’t say this is a nicer way really but I found him comedic, some of the things he came out with I just loved. And the fact that every single episode for a week revolved round him made me look forward to the next episode, as I would think to myself “oh what will Shahbaz do now/next lol” sort of the way my friend broke her arm, then as soon as it got better she broke it again, then when that healed she broke her leg in the sense that what actually happens isn’t very nice but it’s comedic and a joke like what’s gonna happen next lol. That might not have made sense but I’m quite tired sorry I can never say what I’m thinking like I always need to over complicate what I’m trying to say so when you read this, if you get what I mean but think of a better way of saying it then your probably right lol
Old 09-04-2018, 12:38 AM #19
♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
BBUSA22: Janelle

♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
BBUSA22: Janelle

I just re-watched BB7 first week, and Shahbaz was a human troll... ruining the shopping list, then hiding the food, touching people when they ask him not to, not having normal conversation, constantly talking to the cameras and acting, calling Nikki twiggy/Glyn stick thin...

I dunno how I'd react around him, he seemed very frustrating to live around.. Richard went far OTT though particularly from "Hello Mrs Crawford!" onwards.

I thought every part of that saga was acceptable until the part where he was locked out and had his clothes taken, BB should've intervened then.

I'd probably say BB6 week one was better still though, because more was going on in terms of the dynamics.

Spoiler:

reece(: is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:42 PM #20
Why So Serious?

Favourites (more):

Why So Serious?

Favourites (more):

Bump. Anymore opinions on which is the best?
Old 10-04-2018, 01:42 PM #21

Favourites (more):
BB10: Bea
BB7: Lea

Favourites (more):

BB6.
Daniel. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:47 PM #22
Why So Serious?

Favourites (more):

Why So Serious?

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel. View Post
BB6.
Really? I thought BB7s first week was always your favourite, Daniel?
Old 10-04-2018, 02:03 PM #23

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Really? I thought BB7s first week was always your favourite, Daniel?
I changed my mind I suppose
Daniel. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
era, golden, week