Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:43 PM #101
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Considering that Micheal Gove was telling people to ignore expert advice on what would happen if we left the EU, it doesn't paint a strong picture for the likely outcome and being optimistic won't change that. If the leaders of the Leave movement were trying to tell people to ignore expert advice just because it wasn't what they wanted to hear then what does that say for the chances of a successful Brexit?
There are experts on both sides so attempting to suggest expert advice is all against Brexit is not well informed or honest, whichever applies.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:44 PM #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
A quick run down of the threads in SD will show a pattern of behaviour from you, it doesn't take Einstein to see it either
All so TRUE Cherie. All so true.

kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:45 PM #103
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
The whole campaign was based on lies and presumptions from both sides, as an electorate we shouldn't accept that, run a clean campaign with facts not scaremongering then I will accept the result
It would be nice but it's not going to happen, neither the voters nor the politicians are interested in facts.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:46 PM #104
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
There are experts on both sides so attempting to suggest expert advice is all against Brexit is not well informed or honest, whichever applies.
Can you offer proof of the main Remain leaders telling the voting public to disregard expert opinions they didn't like? I can't remember seeing anything like what Gove said from the Remain side.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:46 PM #105
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withano View Post
Nobody said anybody left.. unless you know something I don’t

No, I’m not pointing fingers. I was just stating that there was a good two-week break from all the petiness, cliques, and drama a little while back, but it seems to have all come back very recently.

I’m not aware of the time that it ‘erupted in your absence’ but I’ve been wrong before.
Maybe because you had no one to argue with!
Old 07-05-2018, 06:47 PM #106

Quote:
It would be nice but it's not going to happen, neither the voters nor the politicians are interested in facts.
I agree about the Politicians but I know lots of voters who are clamouring for honesty and hard facts.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:48 PM #107

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Quote:
I dunno, none of that happened when a handful of members left a little while back, doesnt seem like the obvious conclusion.
No one left,people often have breaks,what does it matter to you anyway when people come and go

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:50 PM #108
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Can you offer proof of the main Remain leaders telling the voting public to disregard expert opinions they didn't like? I can't remember seeing anything like what Gove said from the Remain side.
There were and are many experts stating that Brexit will be a good thing for this country and it’s economy. I don’t much care about Gove - don’t like the man - or whether anyone from the remain camp said the same thing as him.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:51 PM #109
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklancaster View Post
I agree about the Politicians but I know lots of voters who are clamouring for honesty and hard facts.
But the majority of voters will vote for anything that they want to hear regardless of whether it's true or not. Look at the referendum and how effective the lie about the NHS getting more funding if we leave was despite there being plenty of proof that Brexit wouldn't affect NHS funding, it was a lie that was dropped the morning Leave won yet it was one that would have brought in a lot of voters who wouldn't have fact checked because they voted for the lies they wanted to hear.

Most voters aren't well informed, it's just simply the truth.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:55 PM #110
Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazanne View Post
No one left,people often have breaks,what does it matter to you anyway when people come and go
I was just commenting on how all the petty jibes, cliqueyness, and drama wasnt here a couple weeks back, but seems to have all returned very recently.

It was relevant when I first brought it up (because it happened inside of this thread for the first time in ages), it just seems super offtopic now though.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:04 PM #111
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

So if the people voted in the UK to leave the EU, it's the people's fault(?) for voting the wrong way because the politicians won't do the job they've signed on to do?... No, that's not how it works at all... Don't post in SD. Call your rep. It's no-one elses business how you've decided to vote, much less why... if they have a problem with it, let them pound sand. When the politicians are fail to do their job, hold them accountable.

Last edited by Maru; 07-05-2018 at 09:16 PM.
Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:19 PM #112
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maru View Post
So if the people voted in the UK to leave the EU, it's the people's fault(?) for voting the wrong way because the politicians won't do the job they've signed on to do?... No, that's not how it works at all... Don't post in SD. Call your rep. It's no-one elses business how you've decided to vote, much less why... if they have a problem with it, let them pound sand. When the politicians are fail to do their job, hold them accountable.
Your job is to land this plane

I dont know how to land the plane

Sorry the passengers of this plane all voted, you must land the plane

I still dont know how

It is the will of the people

Im probably going to fail

NOT GOOD ENOUGH
Old 07-05-2018, 09:27 PM #113
-

-

Quote:
Your job is to land this plane

I dont know how to land the plane

Sorry the passengers of this plane all voted, you must land the plane

I still dont know how

It is the will of the people

Im probably going to fail

NOT GOOD ENOUGH
More like

"Land the plane..."

"It doesn't have wheels! We need to parachute out!"

"Land it..."

"It only has one wing! And no engines!"

"LAND THE DAMN PLANE"
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:29 PM #114
Banned

Banned

Quote:
We had the choice of whether to stay or go, we had the choice of who runs the show and we still voted to keep an incompetent government in place despite knowing how terrible they were. Of course it's the people's fault if they are unhappy with how things go because THEY are the ones who decided to leave, they are the ones who decided which party should handle Brexit.

The bit about 'contacting your rep' is all well and good but it's not realistic. The Tories are running things and they'll be running things for years until the next election at least, they don't give a **** what people think because the election is way off. It doesn't matter if people are happy with Brexit or not, the referendum was to decide whether to leave or not, not HOW we should leave. The only control we had over that was deciding which government should handle it and people chose a terrible party to do it.

Voters only have themselves to blame.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:46 PM #115
User banned

User banned

Quote:
We had the choice of whether to stay or go, we had the choice of who runs the show and we still voted to keep an incompetent government in place despite knowing how terrible they were. Of course it's the people's fault if they are unhappy with how things go because THEY are the ones who decided to leave, they are the ones who decided which party should handle Brexit.

The bit about 'contacting your rep' is all well and good but it's not realistic. The Tories are running things and they'll be running things for years until the next election at least, they don't give a **** what people think because the election is way off. It doesn't matter if people are happy with Brexit or not, the referendum was to decide whether to leave or not, not HOW we should leave. The only control we had over that was deciding which government should handle it and people chose a terrible party to do it.

Blame for what exactly - do you have a crystal ball? Even the experts cannot agree on the outcome so how you profess to know is quite extraordinary!
Old 07-05-2018, 10:01 PM #116

Quote:
Brilliantly expressed Maru. 'Tis no surprise though that it has fallen on deaf ears.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:02 PM #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
More like

"Land the plane..."

"It doesn't have wheels! We need to parachute out!"

"Land it..."

"It only has one wing! And no engines!"

"LAND THE DAMN PLANE"
And you once lectured me on hyperbole.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:17 PM #118

Quote:

With Corbyn and Abbott in opposition, the Tories will be 'running things' well into the 3rd Millenium.

As to 'Blame', I echo what Brillopad says - No One KNOWS for certain whether Brexit will be a positive or Negative for the UK.

I believe that if events were ALLOWED to take place WITHOUT the covert and sinister machinations and interference of the 'Illuminati' (for want of a better word) who WANT us to remain in the EU, then Brexit WILL only be beneficial for the UK.

That 'IF'is the key though because Brexiteers are up against a very powerful, very wealthy, very well organised, very well connected enemy who are aided indirectly by covert factions within the Labour Party who share the same 'Remain' objective though for different reasons.

Finally as poor as the Tories are proving to be - there is NO viable alternative because if Corbyn gets into power, all the complaints about the Tories will seem oh so petty.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:04 PM #119
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Brilliantly expressed Maru. 'Tis no surprise though that it has fallen on deaf ears.
It's OK, SD happens...

Spoiler:

Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 12:43 AM #120
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
Blame for what exactly - do you have a crystal ball? Even the experts cannot agree on the outcome so how you profess to know is quite extraordinary!
I trust what's been said by a wide variety of experts on all sides, not just the ones I cherry pick to suit my opinion.

Very few experts have anything good to say when it comes to Brexit.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:48 AM #121
Banned

Banned

Quote:
With Corbyn and Abbott in opposition, the Tories will be 'running things' well into the 3rd Millenium.

As to 'Blame', I echo what Brillopad says - No One KNOWS for certain whether Brexit will be a positive or Negative for the UK.

I believe that if events were ALLOWED to take place WITHOUT the covert and sinister machinations and interference of the 'Illuminati' (for want of a better word) who WANT us to remain in the EU, then Brexit WILL only be beneficial for the UK.

That 'IF'is the key though because Brexiteers are up against a very powerful, very wealthy, very well organised, very well connected enemy who are aided indirectly by covert factions within the Labour Party who share the same 'Remain' objective though for different reasons.

Finally as poor as the Tories are proving to be - there is NO viable alternative because if Corbyn gets into power, all the complaints about the Tories will seem oh so petty.
It's going to have a negative impact and placing blame on an imaginary Illuminati is not going to change that (that line honestly feels like you preparing an excuse for when Brexit leaves us in a worse position then we were in) nor will blaming people who simply haven't gotten on board with it. Good intentions and pretending everything is fine won't stave off the inevitable and not liking how things are won't speed it up either.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:09 AM #122
User banned

User banned

Quote:
I trust what's been said by a wide variety of experts on all sides, not just the ones I cherry pick to suit my opinion.

Very few experts have anything good to say when it comes to Brexit.
Rubbish. There are plenty. And you talk of cherry-picking!
Old 08-05-2018, 06:01 AM #123
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

Quote:

I don't believe they are an incompetent government, quite the opposite actually. Too much regarding competence is subjectively defined by political persuasion.

I voted remain, because I felt the status quo was the better option, but brexit in itself doesnt bother me. People have such short term views and they shouldn't. It took 40 years for us to get the state of integration that we have now with the EU and it will take another 40 years of shaping relationships on brexit until we can truly decide if it was the correct path. By that time, the world will have changed beyond all recognition. Governments from left and right will have shaped the future. It's not and never will be about the now
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:19 AM #124
-

-

Quote:
And you once lectured me on hyperbole.
"Land the damn spaceship!"

"She cannae take any more, captain!"

"Land goddamn it and phasers set to kill!"

Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:20 AM #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
"Land the damn spaceship!"

"She cannae take any more, captain!"

"Land goddamn it and phasers set to kill!"

"Beam me fecking up Scotty T.S has flipped". Lol you nutter.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
believes, jones, majority, owen, represents