Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2019, 04:42 PM #1
Twosugars Twosugars is offline
Stiff Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: London
Posts: 9,384
Twosugars Twosugars is offline
Stiff Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: London
Posts: 9,384
Default The truth about the clitoris

The truth about the clitoris: why it's not just built for pleasure

Debate has raged for years as to whether female sexual pleasure exists for its own sake or has a role in reproduction. But the two views need not be at war

The results are finally in – a study in Clinical Anatomy has found that the clitoris does play an important role in reproduction, activating a series of brain effects (taking as read, incidentally, that it is done right: so we are talking about a female orgasm, not about an ignored clitoris, sitting there, minding its own business). Those brain effects in brief: enhancement of vaginal blood flow, increased lubrication, oxygen and temperature, and an altered position of the cervix, which paradoxically slows down the sperm and improves their motility.

From a lay perspective, this feels pretty uncontroversial. The clitoris is right there in the reproductive ballpark; it would be weird if it did not at least try to help. Yet this – perhaps predictably, since female sexuality is involved – is a highly contested space.

It was a popular view in the 70s, that female orgasms were important to egg fertilisation, thanks to the suction effect of the muscle contractions, ensuring that sperm went in the right direction, and did not get distracted by, you know, open air. This was decreed false by the end of last century, and the debate took on the distinctive language of scientific scorn: it was a “zombie hypothesis”, according to the physiologist Roy Levin; it wasn’t live but it refused to die.

A feminist case was powerfully made by philosopher Elisabeth Lloyd in The Case of the Female Orgasm. When we seek to characterise sexual pleasure in women as an aid to fertility, we are turning it into an adaptive mechanism, any pleasure a by-product to the service of the species.

We are also being androcentric, taking the male reproductive journey (have orgasm; produce sperm; make baby) and trying to find its mirror in the female (have orgasm; grab sperm; make baby). If you want to explore female sexuality meaningfully, you have to see it as its own terrain, in which pleasure quite possibly exists for its own sake, irrespective of such a mechanism being absent in men.

Daniel Bergner’s book What Do Women Want? makes a parallel and fascinating case that starts with nerve endings in the vagina and ends (I paraphrase) at the conclusion that female desire is so immense we could be turned on by anything, up to and including bonobos.

At the risk of sounding a bit triangulated, I wonder if there is any need for these ideas to be at war; you can see the clitoris as reproductively useful, if that is how the science directs you, without minimising the epic power that has nothing to do with reproduction.
The Guardian
Twosugars is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:06 PM #2
parmnion's Avatar
parmnion parmnion is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: scotland
Posts: 42,514

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah


parmnion parmnion is offline
Senior Member
parmnion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: scotland
Posts: 42,514

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah


Default

Oh, I thought you we're going to enlighten us.

Last edited by parmnion; 06-11-2019 at 06:07 PM.
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:55 PM #3
Twosugars Twosugars is offline
Stiff Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: London
Posts: 9,384
Twosugars Twosugars is offline
Stiff Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: London
Posts: 9,384
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
Oh, I thought you we're going to enlighten us.
Read the article.
It says the clit actually does things to promote fertilisation
It doesnt just sit there looking like a micro dick
Twosugars is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:24 PM #4
parmnion's Avatar
parmnion parmnion is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: scotland
Posts: 42,514

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah


parmnion parmnion is offline
Senior Member
parmnion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: scotland
Posts: 42,514

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twosugars View Post
Read the article.
It says the clit actually does things to promote fertilisation
It doesnt just sit there looking like a micro dick
Does it flap about like a cock?
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:13 PM #5
Marsh. Marsh. is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 79,984


Marsh. Marsh. is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 79,984


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twosugars View Post
It says the clit actually does things to promote fertilisation
It stands outside the vagina with a sandwich board saying "Baby making facilities within!"?
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:15 PM #6
Kizzy's Avatar
Kizzy Kizzy is offline
Likes cars that go boom
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 41,755


Kizzy Kizzy is offline
Likes cars that go boom
Kizzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 41,755


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twosugars View Post
The truth about the clitoris: why it's not just built for pleasure

Debate has raged for years as to whether female sexual pleasure exists for its own sake or has a role in reproduction. But the two views need not be at war

The results are finally in – a study in Clinical Anatomy has found that the clitoris does play an important role in reproduction, activating a series of brain effects (taking as read, incidentally, that it is done right: so we are talking about a female orgasm, not about an ignored clitoris, sitting there, minding its own business). Those brain effects in brief: enhancement of vaginal blood flow, increased lubrication, oxygen and temperature, and an altered position of the cervix, which paradoxically slows down the sperm and improves their motility.

From a lay perspective, this feels pretty uncontroversial. The clitoris is right there in the reproductive ballpark; it would be weird if it did not at least try to help. Yet this – perhaps predictably, since female sexuality is involved – is a highly contested space.

It was a popular view in the 70s, that female orgasms were important to egg fertilisation, thanks to the suction effect of the muscle contractions, ensuring that sperm went in the right direction, and did not get distracted by, you know, open air. This was decreed false by the end of last century, and the debate took on the distinctive language of scientific scorn: it was a “zombie hypothesis”, according to the physiologist Roy Levin; it wasn’t live but it refused to die.

A feminist case was powerfully made by philosopher Elisabeth Lloyd in The Case of the Female Orgasm. When we seek to characterise sexual pleasure in women as an aid to fertility, we are turning it into an adaptive mechanism, any pleasure a by-product to the service of the species.

We are also being androcentric, taking the male reproductive journey (have orgasm; produce sperm; make baby) and trying to find its mirror in the female (have orgasm; grab sperm; make baby). If you want to explore female sexuality meaningfully, you have to see it as its own terrain, in which pleasure quite possibly exists for its own sake, irrespective of such a mechanism being absent in men.

Daniel Bergner’s book What Do Women Want? makes a parallel and fascinating case that starts with nerve endings in the vagina and ends (I paraphrase) at the conclusion that female desire is so immense we could be turned on by anything, up to and including bonobos.

At the risk of sounding a bit triangulated, I wonder if there is any need for these ideas to be at war; you can see the clitoris as reproductively useful, if that is how the science directs you, without minimising the epic power that has nothing to do with reproduction.
The Guardian
In my opinion as a woman this male perspective of female sexual desire is bollocks.
__________________
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:25 PM #7
Twosugars Twosugars is offline
Stiff Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: London
Posts: 9,384
Twosugars Twosugars is offline
Stiff Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: London
Posts: 9,384
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
It stands outside the vagina with a sandwich board saying "Baby making facilities within!"?
More than that

It activates neuronal impulses leading to enhancement of vaginal blood flow, increased lubrication, oxygen and temperature, and an altered position of the cervix, which paradoxically slows down the sperm and improves their motility.
Twosugars is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:31 PM #8
Kizzy's Avatar
Kizzy Kizzy is offline
Likes cars that go boom
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 41,755


Kizzy Kizzy is offline
Likes cars that go boom
Kizzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 41,755


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twosugars View Post
More than that

It activates neuronal impulses leading to enhancement of vaginal blood flow, increased lubrication, oxygen and temperature, and an altered position of the cervix, which paradoxically slows down the sperm and improves their motility.
I can believe that yet hormonally at times in the reproductive cycle there are times when this process is more likely too, so an orgasm is not the only way for the stars to align that makes having a baby more likely.
__________________
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:17 PM #9
parmnion's Avatar
parmnion parmnion is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: scotland
Posts: 42,514

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah


parmnion parmnion is offline
Senior Member
parmnion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: scotland
Posts: 42,514

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah


Default

Don't we all know this already?
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:27 PM #10
Toy Soldier Toy Soldier is offline
-
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 30,350


Toy Soldier Toy Soldier is offline
-
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 30,350


Default

I mean, anecdotally, with my first me and my wife were both so drunk that on the same night we had tried to break into some poor old woman's house because we thought it was her Uni shared house but we were actually three doors down.

And with our second, we were trying out a position that was so bad that we've literally never done it again and it did in both of our backs for weeks, and we still laugh about it 7 years later.

I'm not sure it was our best effort either time .
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:52 PM #11
parmnion's Avatar
parmnion parmnion is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: scotland
Posts: 42,514

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah


parmnion parmnion is offline
Senior Member
parmnion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: scotland
Posts: 42,514

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I mean, anecdotally, with my first me and my wife were both so drunk that on the same night we had tried to break into some poor old woman's house because we thought it was her Uni shared house but we were actually three doors down.

And with our second, we were trying out a position that was so bad that we've literally never done it again and it did in both of our backs for weeks, and we still laugh about it 7 years later.

I'm not sure it was our best effort either time .
This is not a pm
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:53 PM #12
Twosugars Twosugars is offline
Stiff Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: London
Posts: 9,384
Twosugars Twosugars is offline
Stiff Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: London
Posts: 9,384
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I mean, anecdotally, with my first me and my wife were both so drunk that on the same night we had tried to break into some poor old woman's house because we thought it was her Uni shared house but we were actually three doors down.

And with our second, we were trying out a position that was so bad that we've literally never done it again and it did in both of our backs for weeks, and we still laugh about it 7 years later.

I'm not sure it was our best effort either time .
Well we know you came on both occasions
Did she?
Twosugars is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:54 PM #13
Marsh. Marsh. is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 79,984


Marsh. Marsh. is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 79,984


Default

What position?
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:54 PM #14
Marsh. Marsh. is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 79,984


Marsh. Marsh. is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 79,984


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twosugars View Post
Well we know you came on both occasions
Did she?
She came.

She never left.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:00 PM #15
Toy Soldier Toy Soldier is offline
-
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 30,350


Toy Soldier Toy Soldier is offline
-
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 30,350


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
What position?
It doesn't have a name and no one should ever try it, we were both genuinely injured.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:07 PM #16
Marsh. Marsh. is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 79,984


Marsh. Marsh. is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 79,984


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
It doesn't have a name and no one should ever try it, we were both genuinely injured.
A Leslie Ash kinda tea
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:25 PM #17
parmnion's Avatar
parmnion parmnion is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: scotland
Posts: 42,514

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah


parmnion parmnion is offline
Senior Member
parmnion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: scotland
Posts: 42,514

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
She came.

She never left.
Oh I think she did.
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:26 PM #18
parmnion's Avatar
parmnion parmnion is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: scotland
Posts: 42,514

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah


parmnion parmnion is offline
Senior Member
parmnion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: scotland
Posts: 42,514

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
It doesn't have a name and no one should ever try it, we were both genuinely injured.
Did she twist her neck in the gaps in the headboard?
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:28 PM #19
parmnion's Avatar
parmnion parmnion is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: scotland
Posts: 42,514

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah


parmnion parmnion is offline
Senior Member
parmnion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: scotland
Posts: 42,514

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah


Default

Perhaps perfume ain't the only thing TS can put behind his ears.
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:35 PM #20
parmnion's Avatar
parmnion parmnion is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: scotland
Posts: 42,514

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah


parmnion parmnion is offline
Senior Member
parmnion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: scotland
Posts: 42,514

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah


Default

I must admit. .that article has intrigued me..the first 2 paragraphs..

I just re read..I thought they were on about the bloke...but it's about the clitiros controlling the sperm as it gets excited and inflamed slowing it down....

A swollen clitiros slowing down sperm!!..my ex needs to get back on this forum..

If anything a swollen clitiros turns sperm into Tom bloody Daley for about 5 seconds....
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:38 PM #21
parmnion's Avatar
parmnion parmnion is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: scotland
Posts: 42,514

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah


parmnion parmnion is offline
Senior Member
parmnion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: scotland
Posts: 42,514

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah


Default

It was a popular view in the 70s, that female orgasms were important to egg fertilisation, thanks to the suction effect of the muscle contractions, ensuring that sperm went in the right direction, and did not get distracted by, you know, open air




Nobody appreciates a fanny fart at that moment.
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:42 PM #22
parmnion's Avatar
parmnion parmnion is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: scotland
Posts: 42,514

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah


parmnion parmnion is offline
Senior Member
parmnion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: scotland
Posts: 42,514

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twosugars View Post
Read the article.
It says the clit actually does things to promote fertilisation
It doesnt just sit there looking like a micro dick
https://www.google.com/search?q=bono...obile&ie=UTF-8


Women can be clitiroly aroused by monkeys?
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:43 PM #23
parmnion's Avatar
parmnion parmnion is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: scotland
Posts: 42,514

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah


parmnion parmnion is offline
Senior Member
parmnion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: scotland
Posts: 42,514

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah


Default

Reputation: Bonobos are miniature, sharing, caring chimps, living in hippie communes with no aggression and lots of sex. ... Bonobos (Pan paniscus) used to be known as "pygmy chimpanzees", a designation that served to distinguish them from regular chimps (Pan troglodytes).17 Mar 2016
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:48 PM #24
parmnion's Avatar
parmnion parmnion is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: scotland
Posts: 42,514

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah


parmnion parmnion is offline
Senior Member
parmnion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: scotland
Posts: 42,514

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah


Default

Is there a book called " I know my own clitiros"

I shall promote that, and not the one by the man who would wave his penis at a monkey..
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:48 AM #25
Niamh.'s Avatar
Niamh. Niamh. is offline
I Love my brick
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ireland-The peoples Republic of Cork!
Posts: 143,124

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons


Niamh. Niamh. is offline
I Love my brick
Niamh.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ireland-The peoples Republic of Cork!
Posts: 143,124

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
It doesn't have a name and no one should ever try it, we were both genuinely injured.
__________________

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post



Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
clitoris, truth

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
 

About Us ThisisBigBrother.com

"Big Brother and UK Television Forum. Est. 2001"

 

© 2023
no new posts