Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-01-2020, 07:16 PM   #1
arista
Senior Member
 
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 104,214
Default PM Johnson Rejects Sturgeon's indyref2 demand

She gets a No.

[The UK government has formally
rejected a call from Scotland's
first minister for a
second independence referendum.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson said
a referendum would "continue the
political stagnation Scotland
has seen for the past decade".
And he said First Minister Nicola Sturgeon
had previously pledged that the 2014
referendum would be a "once in a generation" vote.

Ms Sturgeon tweeted that the Tories
were attempting to "deny democracy".]

Tough Titty TS.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-51106796
arista is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 07:19 PM   #2
parmnion
What!
 
parmnion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ESSEX via scotland
Posts: 29,261

Favourites:
BB18: Deborah
CBB18: Heavy D
BB17: Hughie
BB4: Cameron


Default

It would be silly to allow another for all sorts of reasons
parmnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 07:39 PM   #3
Dezzy
Babs
 
Dezzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 42,119

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Shane Jenek
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
BB17: Jayne
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard


Default

Any Brexiter that demanded Brexit and made out that any attempts to oppose it is to oppose democracy YET oppose Scotland's right to choose whether they want to stay in the UK or not are complete and utter ****ing hypocrites and Boris is the king of their hypocritical kingdom.

Scotland voted overwhelmingly for the SNP which is anti-brexit and pro-Scotland's independence. The Tories dominance in the election was touted by brexiters as a sign that the public still want brexit yet they cover their eyes to the fact that Scotland is obviously telling us, in the same way, that they want an indyref.

Any brexiter that would oppose Scotland's demand for an indyref is a hypocrite and a poser who only pretends to care about democracy when it benefits them.
__________________
Dezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 07:58 PM   #4
Twosugars
Stiff Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: London
Posts: 9,392
Default

Well said Dezzy!

They only bleat about democracy when it suits them
Twosugars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 09:11 PM   #5
Oliver_W
#BaconLettuceMayo
 
Oliver_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Bill's Secret Garden
Posts: 8,845

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Scotland voted overwhelmingly for the SNP which is anti-brexit and pro-Scotland's independence.
55% of Scotland voted for pro-union parties.
__________________
Oliver_W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 09:16 PM   #6
parmnion
What!
 
parmnion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ESSEX via scotland
Posts: 29,261

Favourites:
BB18: Deborah
CBB18: Heavy D
BB17: Hughie
BB4: Cameron


Default

God save our gracious queen.
parmnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 10:15 PM   #7
Livia
Honesty: The best policy
 
Livia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brasov, Transylvania
Posts: 29,155


Default

The last Scottish referendum was a "once in a lifetime vote". Having another one now because Nicola wants it isn't any more democratic than having a second Brexit referendum.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 10:19 PM   #8
arista
Senior Member
 
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 104,214
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
The last Scottish referendum was a "once in a lifetime vote". Having another one now because Nicola wants it isn't any more democratic than having a second Brexit referendum.

Very True
Livia.
arista is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 10:30 PM   #9
Dezzy
Babs
 
Dezzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 42,119

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Shane Jenek
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
BB17: Jayne
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard


Default

Giving the people a choice will always be the democratic option. Trying to peddle that another vote would be undemocratic is actually senseless and an example of the Brexiter attitude of 'it's democracy if I say so but if you oppose me, you oppose democracy itself'.

Every vote that has ever been presented to the public is democratic, it doesn't stop being democratic just because it doesn't suit you.
__________________
Dezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 07:24 AM   #10
Ammi
Quand il pleut, il pleut
 
Ammi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: on Blueberry Hill
Posts: 50,376


Default

...for me ‘once in a lifetime’ and ‘democratic’ contradict each other...once in a lifetime is not conducive to democracy...democracy is representative of a majority public and that will always be open to change, depending on many factors...it doesn’t represent a ‘one day in their life public’...that would be for me, everything that democracy isn’t...’you made that choice/decision, you can’t change it...time can evolve things into a completely different scenario so that your choice is not the choice that you considered at the time...and we can make any changes to choices but you can’t...’...etc, etc...makes no sense at all in progressiveness of any society that considers itself democratic...in my humblest of opinions of course...
__________________



Paris is always a good idea...

Last edited by Ammi; 15-01-2020 at 07:25 AM.
Ammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 08:16 AM   #11
Greg!
laura carter stan
 
Greg!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: How dare they boo me! I'm a nice person!
Posts: 12,099

Favourites (more):
BB19: Sian
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
CBB21: Shane Jenek
Apprentice 2017: Elizabeth


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
The last Scottish referendum was a "once in a lifetime vote". Having another one now because Nicola wants it isn't any more democratic than having a second Brexit referendum.
Ok but Nicola won a mandate from the people of Scotland to hold another referendum in the recent election. A much bigger mandate than Boris got for Brexit I might add.
Greg! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 09:46 AM   #12
Livia
Honesty: The best policy
 
Livia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brasov, Transylvania
Posts: 29,155


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg! View Post
Ok but Nicola won a mandate from the people of Scotland to hold another referendum in the recent election. A much bigger mandate than Boris got for Brexit I might add.
How does that change the fact that the last referendum was a once in a lifetime vote? It didn't say it was a once in a lifetime vote, unless Nicola gets a particularly good result partially because Labour failed. And Boris has a mandate for something the people actually voted for last time.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 10:06 AM   #13
bitontheslide
self-oscillating
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 22,561

Favourites:
BB19: Sian


Default

if Scotland truly want to be independent, they will be, Boris won't be able to stop it.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 10:14 AM   #14
arista
Senior Member
 
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 104,214
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
if Scotland truly want to be independent, they will be, Boris won't be able to stop it.

He will.
arista is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 10:17 AM   #15
bitontheslide
self-oscillating
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 22,561

Favourites:
BB19: Sian


Default

you are wrong Arista
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 10:20 AM   #16
arista
Senior Member
 
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 104,214
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
you are wrong Arista

You Are


They will try a Catalonia
style - which means non official
arista is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 10:31 AM   #17
Niamh.
I Love my brick
 
Niamh.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ireland-The peoples Republic of Cork!
Posts: 127,336

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
CBB21: Shane Lynch


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
That is incorrect, it was Alex Salmond who a few days before the 2014 Scottish independence referendum, then-First Minister said that he felt the vote was a “once in a generation opportunity”. He said this in a TV interview, it was not policy or part of the ref, it was his own feeling.


This constantly gets dredged up as if this was part of the vote, it wasnt.


Before the ref equally, Nicola Sturgeon said that a significant and material change in circumstances – i.e. Britain voting to leave the EU – would justify a second ballot.

I dont see that comment being brought up by the PM, I wonder why?

Out of curiosity LT, what would you vote if you did get another referendum?
__________________

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post



Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 10:39 AM   #18
Niamh.
I Love my brick
 
Niamh.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ireland-The peoples Republic of Cork!
Posts: 127,336

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
CBB21: Shane Lynch


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
i would decide on the basis of what was on offer at the time
No leaning either way?
__________________

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post



Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 10:42 AM   #19
Cherie
Cherie Bomb 2020
 
Cherie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 44,955
Blog Entries: 1

Favourites:
BB19: Sian
CBB22: Hardeep Singh Kohli


Default

The problem with offering another referendum is that we all know if the result didn't differ from the last one, it wouldn't take that long before yet another one would be requested and on it would go...
__________________
So practice what you preach!
Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 10:47 AM   #20
Niamh.
I Love my brick
 
Niamh.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ireland-The peoples Republic of Cork!
Posts: 127,336

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
CBB21: Shane Lynch


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
The problem with offering another referendum is that we all know if the result didn't differ from the last one, it wouldn't take that long before yet another one would be requested and on it would go...
True but I think there's a case to be made this time because of Brexit and because EU membership was used the last time as a reason to stay within the UK, wasn't it?
__________________

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post



Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 10:48 AM   #21
Niamh.
I Love my brick
 
Niamh.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ireland-The peoples Republic of Cork!
Posts: 127,336

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
CBB21: Shane Lynch


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
im a fair man so i would assess at the time and make my decision
Pleading the 5th?
__________________

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post



Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 11:01 AM   #22
Withano
Withano
 
Withano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 19,470

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
CBB21: Shane Jenek
CBB20: Helen Lederer


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
The last Scottish referendum was a "once in a lifetime vote". Having another one now because Nicola wants it isn't any more democratic than having a second Brexit referendum.
That time voting was undemocratic lol
__________________
Withano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 12:35 PM   #23
Dezzy
Babs
 
Dezzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 42,119

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Shane Jenek
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
BB17: Jayne
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withano View Post
That time voting was undemocratic lol
Votes are only considered democratic if they benefit brexiters after all. Having votes they don't agree with is the height of anti-democracy in their eyes.
__________________
Dezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 12:38 PM   #24
Dezzy
Babs
 
Dezzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 42,119

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Shane Jenek
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
BB17: Jayne
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard


Default

If the 'once in a lifetime' line was true, there would have been no EU ref since the last time we voted on the issue before 2016, we voted ourselves back in.
__________________
Dezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 01:11 PM   #25
Cherie
Cherie Bomb 2020
 
Cherie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 44,955
Blog Entries: 1

Favourites:
BB19: Sian
CBB22: Hardeep Singh Kohli


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
True but I think there's a case to be made this time because of Brexit and because EU membership was used the last time as a reason to stay within the UK, wasn't it?
Well I would agree, but then its like the UK versus the EU, did they vote only for the good bits of staying in the UK? and my point is if it is the same result again, this will come up again and again.. I am all for them going btw
__________________
So practice what you preach!

Last edited by Cherie; 15-01-2020 at 01:12 PM.
Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
demand, indyref2, johnson, pm, rejects, sturgeon

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:55 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
no new posts