Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2020, 11:23 AM #101
You know my methods

You know my methods

Shortly after the announcement, royal correspondent Camilla Tominey claimed she was told by two sources that “Kate was left in tears" by Meghan following a row over Princess Charlotte's bridesmaid's dress before the royal wedding in May.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...yal-family-spt

I mean could there be anyone nicer than Kate? Only just met her and already making her cry??

Last edited by LeatherTrumpet; 11-08-2020 at 11:24 AM. Reason: vile
Old 11-08-2020, 11:25 AM #102
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post

I mean could there be anyone nicer than Kate? Only just met her and already making her cry??
I don't know and neither do you because - just as with Megan - neither of us have met any of these people and are going entirely on 2nd/3rd/4th+ hand information about them that we've read online or in papers (if we are Luddites).
Old 11-08-2020, 11:28 AM #103

Favourites (more):
BB17: Andy
BB14: Dan

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
The idea that people "owe" their parents unconditional good regard and respect regardless of their actions is an inherently flawed one, I find. Really it's just used as an excuse to be a ****ty parent (or person) and then say "Waaaah you have to still like & respect me because I spat you out of my willy(/pushed you out of my vagina) AND I spent money on feeding you waah".

If I turn out to be a crappy dad I hope I've at least done a good enough job to raise daughters with the self-confidence to tell me so and avoid me. Know what I won't do if that happens? Whine about it to tabloid journalists for cash.
Meghan was always saying how wonderful her Dad was pre - Harry. There was the speech she gave on something or other when she was full of praise for him and references on her 'Tig' blog about how he was the best Dad in the world.
What makes you think he was crappy?

Last edited by jet; 11-08-2020 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-08-2020, 11:37 AM #104
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
Meghan was always saying how wonderful her Dad was pre - Harry. There was the speech she gave on something or other when she was full of praise for him and references on her 'Tig' blog about how he was the best Dad in the world.
People praising their crappy parents in the hopes that the positive attention will turn them into better people is extremely common.

Quote:
What makes you think he was crappy?
He sold stories about his daughter to tabloids.
Old 11-08-2020, 11:40 AM #105
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Maybe they're impostors. I'm sure I read that Harry and Meghan didn't want anything to do with the nasty press.
Old 11-08-2020, 12:18 PM #106

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
People praising their crappy parents in the hopes that the positive attention will turn them into better people is extremely common.
Yeah, right.

Quote:
He sold stories about his daughter to tabloids.
Stupid thing to do, but there is a long story leading up to that, which you either are ignorant of or you don't want to comment on because you know Meghan doesn't come out of it smelling of roses.

Last edited by Niamh.; 11-08-2020 at 12:19 PM. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 11-08-2020, 12:25 PM #107
-

-

Quote:
Yeah, right.
"Developmental psychology, pfft mumbo jumbo"

Quote:
Stupid thing to do, but there is a long story leading up to that, which you either are ignorant of or you don't want to comment on because you know Meghan doesn't come out of it smelling of roses.
I don't care how long the story is, it's not about being ignorant of it, it's that it doesn't matter. I don't care if she shat on his bed and killed his cat. Selling stories about your kids makes you a crappy parent, full stop. There's nothing to know.
Old 11-08-2020, 12:27 PM #108
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:

I don't care how long the story is, it's not about being ignorant of it, it's that it doesn't matter. I don't care if she shat on his bed and killed his cat. Selling stories about your kids makes you a crappy parent, full stop. There's nothing to know.
Yep, there is nothing else to say about that imo

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Old 11-08-2020, 12:36 PM #109
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Niamh in selling stories about her sons favourite PS4 game to the Irish times, shocker.

"He likes The Last Of Us 2" said the housewife.
Old 11-08-2020, 12:36 PM #110

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:

Great Dad before Harry, crappy Dad after.

Meghan leaking contents of a letter to 5 friends putting her father in a bad light so they can talk to the press about it (People Mag) isn't great either.

Crappy Dad, crappy daughter.
Old 11-08-2020, 12:41 PM #111
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:

Meghan leaking contents of a letter to 5 friends putting her father in a bad light so they can talk to the press about it (People Mag) isn't great either.

If I was in the same situation, I'd also reveal what he'd written in the letter, because sometimes you need to talk these things through with the people you trust the most to get opinions, and a different set of eyes away from personal anger and animus is often the right way to go.

Don't you talk through your IRL problems with the people you trust?
Old 11-08-2020, 12:42 PM #112
-

-

Quote:
Quite a lot of people don't preperly reflect on their family until they have a decent family of their own, I find. Perhaps Harry's conduct as a partner is part of what made her re-evaluate her relationship with her dad? All speculation of course because - again - neither of us know these people.

Quote:

People talking about their experiences being raised is healthy and legitimate, selling out on your children is not. I realise some people might see that as a double standard, but I don't know how to further convey the message that "it doesn't matter what sort of son/daughter someone is when it comes to being a decent parent".

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 11-08-2020 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-08-2020, 01:19 PM #113
Banned

Banned

Anyone that would sell stories on their children is scum. If this was Kate's father, the people cheering on Meghan's would revile him and rightfully so but because his stories paint Meghan in a bad light, he is held up as a hero in their eyes.

It's sad when obssession overcomes morality, rationality and common sense.

Anyone that sells stories about their kids is a ****, end of.
Old 11-08-2020, 02:03 PM #114

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

I'm not condoning what Mr. Markle did, it was wrong.
But neither to I adhere to the ‘daughters and sons can treat their parents like s*** and they just have to suck it up’ school of thought either.
All adults are responsible for their actions.

It’s just sad the way things have turned out with Meghan and her Dad, especially when the whole saga could have been avoided by making sure her father was looked after when he was being hounded by the press and bringing Harry to meet him. Or just returning his desperate calls.

He was a hurt and frustrated man, and hurt and frustrated people do stupid things.
Old 11-08-2020, 02:11 PM #115
-

-

Quote:
I'm not condoning what Mr. Markle did, it was wrong.
But neither to I adhere to the ‘daughters and sons can treat their parents like s*** and they just have to suck it up’ school of thought either.
All adults are responsible for their actions.

It’s just sad the way things have turned out with Meghan and her Dad, especially when the whole saga could have been avoided by making sure her father was looked after when he was being hounded by the press and bringing Harry to meet him. Or just returning his desperate calls.

He was a hurt and frustrated man, and hurt and frustrated people do stupid things.
They don't have to suck it up, they don't have to say nothing, they don't have to like their children or their actions, they don't have to put up with mistreatment, they don't have to not be angry or express anger, or sadness, or whatever else they're feeling, to their children... or to confidants...

...they do have to refrain from taking action specifically designed to cause harm, and from exploiting for financial gain. He didn't "slip up" and accidentally sell tabloid stories, that's not something that can happen without plenty of opportunity to reconsider.

It's fine that you disagree but there are many people, including myself, who find his behaviour selfish and highly questionable in terms of what sort of person he is overall. It makes other criticism of him far more believable, at the very least.
Old 11-08-2020, 02:14 PM #116

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
They don't have to suck it up, they don't have to say nothing, they don't have to like their children or their actions, they don't have to put up with mistreatment, they don't have to not be angry or express anger, or sadness, or whatever else they're feeling, to their children... or to confidants...

...they do have to refrain from taking action specifically designed to cause harm, and from exploiting for financial gain. He didn't "slip up" and accidentally sell tabloid stories, that's not something that can happen without plenty of opportunity to reconsider.

It's fine that you disagree but there are many people, including myself, who find his behaviour selfish and highly questionable in terms of what sort of person he is overall. It makes other criticism of him far more believable, at the very least.
The articles that I read always added: Mr. Markle was not paid for this Interview.
How do you know if he was?
Old 11-08-2020, 02:15 PM #117
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

If I'm not saying what he did was right, but he only did it because they made him is considered a reasonable explanation, then absolutely no one is responsible for their own actions.
Old 11-08-2020, 02:15 PM #118
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...Sadly her father sold her for a few pieces of silver, that’s the crux of it...he had a choice not to but he chose to...I can’t imagine how she must have felt, being ‘sold’ by someone she had complete trust in...
Old 11-08-2020, 02:19 PM #119
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Following his daughter’s wedding to Prince Harry, Meghan Markle’s father has been doing a number of interviews in the media and blasting the royal family. His motives for doing so have been questioned a number of times and people are beginning to wonder if he truly doesn’t understand how he’s coming off or if money is the reason he won’t stop talking. Here’s more on Thomas Markle Sr.’s finances and how much he’s reportedly making off his daughter’s fame.

The former actress’ dad has given one scathing interview after another and while one in particular with the Daily Mail was reportedly done without an exchange of cash, that hasn’t been the case with all of them. Markle Sr. admitted himself that he was paid to take paparazzi photos that were staged prior to the royal wedding. However, he claimed that he didn’t do it for money but rather to repair his image because photographers had only snapped unflattering pictures of him.

“They’d take photos of me grabbing a beer, take photos of me getting into my car … they’d take photos of me making me look negative,” he said.

There’s no good excuse though for him talking to the press about his daughter and her husband on several other occasions and accepting payouts for thousands of dollars to do so.

Less than a month after the world watched Meghan marry Prince Harry, Markle Sr. gave an interview to ITV’s Good Morning Britain for a reported $10,000. However, other sites have said the amount was actually much higher.

In addition, Markle Sr. has continued his own personal media tour with TMZ as well as tabloids in Britain for undisclosed amounts. In every interview, he seems more and more bitter when talking about Meghan and her in-laws so it appears at this point that he’s just selling his daughter out.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...sr-worth.html/

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Old 11-08-2020, 02:22 PM #120
-

-

Quote:
The articles that I read always added: Mr. Markle was not paid for this Interview.
How do you know if he was?
Him and a photographer staged photographs that were sold to the global press for a 6-figure sum. There's no "proof" that he got a slice of that/was paid in advance by said photographer, but you'd have to be pretty naive to not think it likely.

edit: to add to that, I can't find many that state he was NOT paid for comments and interviews, only reports that say it is "unknown" whether or not he was given financial incentive. There's no rules on having to disclose it. Though for press transparency there probably SHOULD be.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 11-08-2020 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-08-2020, 02:22 PM #121

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper View Post
If I'm not saying what he did was right, but he only did it because they made him is considered a reasonable explanation, then absolutely no one is responsible for their own actions.
Everyone is responsible for their actions, because they have to pay the price of those actions. Mr. Markle, Harry and Meghan are now all paying the price for what they all did.
Old 11-08-2020, 02:24 PM #122
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Him and a photographer staged photographs that were sold to the global press for a 6-figure sum. There's no "proof" that he got a slice of that/was paid in advance by said photographer, but you'd have to be pretty naive to not think it likely.
...the sad thing is that I personally believe that he probably got paid very little for them ...but others made a lot of money out of them...I think he ‘sold her’ for quite a relatively small fee...
Old 11-08-2020, 02:26 PM #123
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
...the sad thing is that I personally believe that he probably got paid very little for them ...but others made a lot of money out of them...I think he ‘sold her’ for quite a relatively small fee...
I agree I think the most likely scenario in that case is that he was paid a couple of thousand up-front by the photographer, with no idea what they would be worth "at market". That really makes it somehow worse though.
Old 11-08-2020, 02:31 PM #124
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
I agree I think the most likely scenario in that case is that he was paid a couple of thousand up-front by the photographer, with no idea what they would be worth "at market". That really makes it somehow worse though.
...yeah it’s really quite grim and it’s only my personal thoughts...but nothing about him, that I’ve seen of him in interviews etc...makes me feel that he got a large sum of money for the photographs...I think upwards of £100,000 was reported...but I think it’s others that made that type of money, not him...it’s all very sad ...
Old 11-08-2020, 02:34 PM #125
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
...yeah it’s really quite grim and it’s only my personal thoughts...but nothing about him, that I’ve seen of him in interviews etc...makes me feel that he got a large sum of money for the photographs...I think upwards of £100,000 was reported...but I think it’s others that made that type of money, not him...it’s all very sad ...
All areas of the press are of course making HUGE sums of money out of all of it... I think that's part of what makes the whole thing so reminiscent of Diana. She "sold papers" and, whether directly or indirectly, that lead to her premature death.
Closed Thread

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
culture, harry, hate, meghan, prince