Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-10-2020, 11:04 AM   #1
bitontheslide
self-oscillating
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 24,181

Favourites:
BB19: Sian


Default Labour Party broke equality laws

Labour Party was responsible for anti-Semitic discrimination and broke equality laws, human rights watchdog rules

Breaking news https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54730425
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 12:03 PM   #2
arista
Senior Member
 
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 109,052
Default

Yes some now
want Corbyn removed from the Party
arista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 12:15 PM   #3
arista
Senior Member
 
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 109,052
Default

The Labour Leader is Live

All media.


ITV1 News asked should the Former Leader still be in the party?


Last edited by arista; 29-10-2020 at 12:27 PM.
arista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 12:29 PM   #4
arista
Senior Member
 
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 109,052
Default

arista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 12:32 PM   #5
LeatherTrumpet
Member without Portfolio
 
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 69,577


Default

Note his mask is not on properly so he may have infected that lady with him.
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 12:37 PM   #6
arista
Senior Member
 
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 109,052
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
Note his mask is not on properly so he may have infected that lady with him.
Thats his Wife
as they leave their home.
arista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 12:38 PM   #7
joeysteele
Remembering Kerry
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: with Mystic Mock
Posts: 34,367

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
Strictly 2018: Joe Sugg
CBB21: Shane Jenek
IAC2017: Jamie Lomas


Default

I have always detested antisemitism.

I also did indicate I felt it wasn't riddled with it.
However,
This report actually is worse than even I though it would be.

Obviously I'm looking at these findings which highlight shocking and shameful instances which have badly affected past and present Labour MPs, members and voters too.

It is clearly not overexaggerated as many had claimed.

This is a disgraceful account of anti-Semitic instances in the Party.
Which the leadership and also that we as members failed to address.

It was once said atrociously to me, on here, my saying I had Jewish friends was like a racist saying he had black friends.
Not that anyone said anything about that being too personal to me.

I HAVE had Jewish friends from my childhood.
I would never support anti-Semitism in any shape or form.

I will wait to see what Starmer will be saying ongoing from this.
I do get the feeling, that Jewish leaders and communities feel Starmer has started well on this issue.
However starting well, is not enough.
Rapid action to clear out any who are anti-Semitic and all past dismissed cases looked at again too.

I believe Starmer has said this is a day of shame for Labour.
He HAS to ensure ALL who presided over this, who allowed it to continue, and particularly who now still claim over-exaggeration are held to account for where they have brought the Party to today.

No excuses from me, I've never ever set out to make any.
These findings are worse than I believed they would be.

Now, I need to personally consider my own thinking and relation to the Party.
A lot now depends on really how Starmer handles this now, how he addresses the intense hurt to long held Jewish members and MPs too.
More though, how he now sets about dealing with those who presided over this hateful discrimination.

There can be no place in Labour,nor should there be for anyone, no matter their position, past and present, who will still set out to diminish or dismiss these findings.

Starmer was in the Shadow Cabinet, he has to now completely disinfect himself from this hurtful tragic hurt of discrimination against Jewish MPs and members.
Also to show relentless pursuit of any holding any antisemitic views in Labour.
He needs to do that, for himself, the MPs now, the Party and its members, plus past MPs driven out, also Jewish voters whether Labour ones or not.

I am really saddened but even moreso annoyed.
The past leader assured all was being done, while it was allowed to get stronger.
That's shocking.
Absolutely shocking to have dismissed those genuinely concerned about anti-Semitism.
Absolutely shocking.

This is bad.

Last edited by joeysteele; 29-10-2020 at 12:55 PM.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 12:40 PM   #8
parmnion
What!
 
parmnion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ESSEX via scotland
Posts: 30,362

Favourites:
BB18: Deborah
CBB18: Heavy D
BB17: Hughie
BB4: Cameron


Default

I wonder if that con mp who was called scum by the labour mp was Jewish?
__________________
2fingers.
parmnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 12:46 PM   #9
The Slim Reaper
Pain to my sham friends
 
The Slim Reaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: In MS Paint on your desktop
Posts: 6,687
Default

I need to read the whole thing before I give any full comments on the report. However, It was always accepted that anti semitism exists in labour, just like society as a whole. My only issue was that it was being weaponised against the man who was an anti racist campaigner all his life, and who was counter protesting neo-nazi's in Jewish London boroughs before most of us were born.

All of this in service of a conservative leader that wrote a book full of anti semitic tropes and stereotypes, caused a 375% spike in hate crimes against Muslims with Islamophobic comments, made racist comments against black people, and homophobic comments against gay people.
__________________


Spoiler:



Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I think he was one of the best members we ever had here. Funny, intelligent and frustrating and really very kind. I hope he comes back.

Last edited by Niamh.; 29-10-2020 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Removed baiting comments
The Slim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 12:58 PM   #10
UserSince2005
User banned
 
UserSince2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 4,116

Favourites:
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB14: Frenchy
BB10: Noirin
Default

scum
__________________
-Working towards a friendlier TIBB
UserSince2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 01:01 PM   #11
arista
Senior Member
 
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 109,052
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper View Post
I need to read the whole thing before I give any full comments on the report. However, It was always accepted that anti semitism exists in labour, just like society as a whole. My only issue was that it was being weaponised against the man who was an anti racist campaigner all his life, and who was counter protesting neo-nazi's in Jewish London boroughs before most of us were born.

All of this in service of a conservative leader that wrote a book full of anti semitic tropes and stereotypes, caused a 375% spike in hate crimes against Muslims with Islamophobic comments, made racist comments against black people, and homophobic comments against gay people.

Forgive me if I don't take seriously the posters in this thread who are openly posting bigoted stuff in other threads at the same time as posting in here.

The Report
is 3 Breaches
Political Interference in the Labour Party
arista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 01:02 PM   #12
arista
Senior Member
 
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 109,052
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserSince2005 View Post
scum

Do you Mean Old Corbyn
arista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 01:02 PM   #13
The Slim Reaper
Pain to my sham friends
 
The Slim Reaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: In MS Paint on your desktop
Posts: 6,687
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
The Report
is 3 Breaches
Political Interference in the Labour Party
Well that's cleared it all up. Thanks.
__________________


Spoiler:



Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I think he was one of the best members we ever had here. Funny, intelligent and frustrating and really very kind. I hope he comes back.
The Slim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 01:05 PM   #14
UserSince2005
User banned
 
UserSince2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 4,116

Favourites:
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB14: Frenchy
BB10: Noirin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
Do you Mean Old Corbyn
labour affiliates in general
__________________
-Working towards a friendlier TIBB
UserSince2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 01:05 PM   #15
arista
Senior Member
 
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 109,052
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper View Post
Well that's cleared it all up. Thanks.
arista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 01:08 PM   #16
LeatherTrumpet
Member without Portfolio
 
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 69,577


Default

Its why the GBP did not vote for him

They can tell a wrong un and they did
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 01:17 PM   #17
bitontheslide
self-oscillating
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 24,181

Favourites:
BB19: Sian


Default

The EHRC report found the Labour Party responsible for three breaches of the Equality Act, namely:

Political interference in anti-Semitism complaints
Failure to provide adequate training to those handling anti-Semitism complaints
Harassment
In a statement, it said: "The equality body's analysis points to a culture within the party which, at best, did not do enough to prevent anti-Semitism and, at worst, could be seen to accept it."

The investigation found evidence of 23 instances of "inappropriate involvement" by Mr Corbyn's office, included staff influencing decisions on suspensions or whether to investigate a claim.

Some decisions, said the watchdog, were made because of "likely press interest rather than any formal criteria", and the party "adopted a practice of political interference".

The EHRC said the party's complaints process was inconsistent and lacking in transparency", with the email inbox "largely left unmonitored for a number of years" and "no action taken on the majority of complaints forwarded to it".

The watchdog said there had been recent improvements to the procedures, but the system was still "under-resourced and those responsible for it are not trained to the necessary standard".

The report also said the party was responsible for two cases of unlawful harassment, where anti-Semitic tropes were used and complaints were branded fake or smears.

It named former Mayor of London, Ken Livingstone, and a local councillor, Pam Bromley, but said these were "only the tip of the iceberg", and a further 18 borderline cases were found.

Mr Livingstone later released a statement, he was "deeply hurt" by the accusations and "fully rejects" them, calling himself a "life-long anti-racist".

Last edited by bitontheslide; 29-10-2020 at 01:18 PM.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 01:32 PM   #18
The Slim Reaper
Pain to my sham friends
 
The Slim Reaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: In MS Paint on your desktop
Posts: 6,687
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
The EHRC report found the Labour Party responsible for three breaches of the Equality Act, namely:

Political interference in anti-Semitism complaints
Failure to provide adequate training to those handling anti-Semitism complaints
Harassment
In a statement, it said: "The equality body's analysis points to a culture within the party which, at best, did not do enough to prevent anti-Semitism and, at worst, could be seen to accept it."

The investigation found evidence of 23 instances of "inappropriate involvement" by Mr Corbyn's office, included staff influencing decisions on suspensions or whether to investigate a claim.

Some decisions, said the watchdog, were made because of "likely press interest rather than any formal criteria", and the party "adopted a practice of political interference".

The EHRC said the party's complaints process was inconsistent and lacking in transparency", with the email inbox "largely left unmonitored for a number of years" and "no action taken on the majority of complaints forwarded to it".

The watchdog said there had been recent improvements to the procedures, but the system was still "under-resourced and those responsible for it are not trained to the necessary standard".

The report also said the party was responsible for two cases of unlawful harassment, where anti-Semitic tropes were used and complaints were branded fake or smears.

It named former Mayor of London, Ken Livingstone, and a local councillor, Pam Bromley, but said these were "only the tip of the iceberg", and a further 18 borderline cases were found.

Mr Livingstone later released a statement, he was "deeply hurt" by the accusations and "fully rejects" them, calling himself a "life-long anti-racist".
Labour, under Starmers stewardship did their own report, which was leaked back in April. It showed clearly this was a tactic by the right of the party to undermine the left of the party.

https://www.counterfire.org/articles...aged-the-party

https://novaramedia.com/2020/04/12/i...igned-to-lose/
__________________


Spoiler:



Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I think he was one of the best members we ever had here. Funny, intelligent and frustrating and really very kind. I hope he comes back.
The Slim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 01:39 PM   #19
arista
Senior Member
 
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 109,052
Default


Back in Sept 2019 Luciana Berger MP
ended up joining the LibDems. (But voted out)
After joining the Failed/Pathetic Indie Party Group
(washed away at the General Election)

Last edited by arista; 29-10-2020 at 01:43 PM.
arista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 01:57 PM   #20
The Slim Reaper
Pain to my sham friends
 
The Slim Reaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: In MS Paint on your desktop
Posts: 6,687
Default

What I will say, is that Corbyn should have just said he accepted the findings. There are days ahead to put individual points across, but today shouldn't have been one of them as the former leader.
__________________


Spoiler:



Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I think he was one of the best members we ever had here. Funny, intelligent and frustrating and really very kind. I hope he comes back.
The Slim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 02:12 PM   #21
arista
Senior Member
 
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 109,052
Default

Corbyn on SkyNewsHD
is staying put.

He said he brought in the measures that are
helping this enquiry.


His Whip has been removed
Now Suspended from Labour


Jeremy Corbyn suspended from Labour party
https://news.sky.com/story/jeremy-co...party-12117833

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54730425

Last edited by arista; 29-10-2020 at 02:14 PM.
arista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 02:15 PM   #22
parmnion
What!
 
parmnion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ESSEX via scotland
Posts: 30,362

Favourites:
BB18: Deborah
CBB18: Heavy D
BB17: Hughie
BB4: Cameron


Default

Whens spitting image on next?
__________________
2fingers.
parmnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 02:15 PM   #23
The Slim Reaper
Pain to my sham friends
 
The Slim Reaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: In MS Paint on your desktop
Posts: 6,687
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
Corbyn on SkyNewsHD
is staying put.

He said he brought in the measures that are
helping this enquiry.


His Whip has been removed
Now Suspended from Labour
And there goes starmers chance of ever being PM, unfortunately.
__________________


Spoiler:



Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I think he was one of the best members we ever had here. Funny, intelligent and frustrating and really very kind. I hope he comes back.
The Slim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 02:15 PM   #24
arista
Senior Member
 
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 109,052
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
Whens spitting image on next?

Saturday
but on BritBox only
arista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 02:16 PM   #25
bitontheslide
self-oscillating
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 24,181

Favourites:
BB19: Sian


Default

Corbyn has been suspended from the labour party and whip removed
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
broke, equality, labour, laws, party

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:57 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
no new posts