Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 26-06-2023, 10:47 AM #401
God Save The Rave

God Save The Rave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Yeah exactly, it seems like a really pointless risk when you're still only watching on a screen
Not only is there no need for human pilots because the drone tech is so good, but for one it works better (because they can be solid with no air pockets and so not as at risk from pressure) and for two with automation and AI going the way it is, it won't be long before they won't even need a drone controller... they'll be able to send down automated subs to map out the ocean floor and identify resource deposits etc. piloted by entirely by AI.

There's definitely a deep sea exploration boom coming but I don't think it'll involve people actually getting their toes wet, all of the human beings will be bunkered down in control rooms on surface ships. In fact probably not that long until they can be sat in an office 100 miles from the nearest coast, making discoveries at the bottom of the pacific ocean.
Soldier Boy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-06-2023, 10:54 AM #402
God Save The Rave

God Save The Rave

Heck... with rapidly advancing VR tech as well, you could probably feel like you're at the bottom of the ocean on a live stream from a drone, without leaving your bedroom .
Old 26-06-2023, 10:55 AM #403
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier Boy View Post
Heck... with rapidly advancing VR tech as well, you could probably feel like you're at the bottom of the ocean on a live stream from a drone, without leaving your bedroom .
Yeah true

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-06-2023, 12:29 PM #404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
The mother of the teenager who died on the Titan submersible gave up her place to her son after the original trip was postponed due to Covid.

Suleman Dawood, 19, and his father Shahzada were among five people who died when the vessel imploded on a journey to view the wreck of the Titanic.

Christine Dawood told the BBC her son had been disappointed that he was not old enough to accompany them on the original trip scheduled before the pandemic.

“It was supposed to be Shahzada and I going down,” she said. “I stepped back and gave the place to Suleman because he really wanted to go.”

The mother of the teenager who died on the Titan submersible gave up her place to her son after the original trip was postponed due to Covid.

Suleman Dawood, 19, and his father Shahzada were among five people who died when the vessel imploded on a journey to view the wreck of the Titanic.

Christine Dawood told the BBC her son had been disappointed that he was not old enough to accompany them on the original trip scheduled before the pandemic.

“It was supposed to be Shahzada and I going down,” she said. “I stepped back and gave the place to Suleman because he really wanted to go.”

Asked how she felt about the decision, she simply said: “Let’s just skip that.”

She said “both of them were so excited” and her son had taken a Rubik’s Cube with him because he wanted to break a world record.

Mrs Dawood said her son loved the famous square puzzle so much that he carried it with him everywhere and dazzled onlookers by solving it in 12 seconds.

She told the broadcaster: “He said, ‘I’m going to solve the Rubik’s Cube 3,700 metres below sea at the Titanic’.”

The family boarded the Polar Prince, the sub’s support vessel, on Father’s Day hoping for the trip of a lifetime.

Mrs Dawood and her 17-year-old daughter Alina were still on board when word came through that communications with Titan had been lost.

She and her daughter held out hope to begin with after they did not initially return.

She said: “We all thought they are just going to come up so that shock was delayed by about 10 hours or so.

“By the time they were supposed to be up again, there was a time…. when they were supposed to be up on the surface again and when that time passed, the real shock, not shock but the worry and the not so good feelings, started.

“We had loads of hope, I think that was the only thing that got us through it because we were hoping and… we talked about things that pilots can do like dropping weights, there were so many actions people on the sub can do in order to surface.

We were constantly looking at the surface. There was so many things we would go through where we would think ‘it’s just slow right now, it’s slow right now’. But there was a lot of hope.”

She said she “lost hope” when 96 hours had passed since her husband and son boarded the submersible, which indicated they had run out of oxygen.

She revealed that is when she sent a message to her family saying she was “preparing for the worst”.

Her daughter held out a bit longer, she said, until the call with the US Coast Guard when they were informed debris had been found.

The family returned to St John’s in Newfoundland, Canada, on Saturday, and on Sunday held a funeral prayer for Shahzada and Suleman.

Mrs Dawood said she and her daughter have vowed to try to learn to finish the Rubik’s Cube in Suleman’s honour, and she intends to continue her husband’s work.

She said: “He was involved in so many things, he helped so many people and I think Alina and I really want to continue that legacy and give him that platform when his work has continued and it’s quite important for my daughter as well.

“Alina and I said we are going learn how to solve the Rubik’s Cube. That’s going to be a challenge for us because we are really bad at it but we are going to learn it.”

Shame on the lying Aunt wanting her 15 minutes of fame

Yeah … so much for all the hate directed at the dad for supposedly forcing his reluctant son to go down with him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zizu is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-06-2023, 12:34 PM #405
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizu View Post
Yeah … so much for all the hate directed at the dad for supposedly forcing his reluctant son to go down with him

Disgraceful really, she obviously really had issues with her brother and his wife to put the boot in like that, there was something really off about her interview I felt

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'

Last edited by Cherie; 26-06-2023 at 12:35 PM.
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-06-2023, 12:35 PM #406
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier Boy View Post
I read that the viewing port at the front was only rated up to 1/3 the depth. The doesn't mean it can't go deeper but it does mean that the manufacturer is saying they will only guarantee it to that depth and using it beyond that would be "at your own risk".

The whole thing is mad really, the safety standards were pretty much non-existent. This will lead to regulation of the industry I imagine, and rightly so (i.e. these sorts of subs will have to be assessed and signed off by a regulatory group before companies are allowed to sell tickets to the public).
the whole at your own risk makes me want to double check it then before going off and selling it to the public

but we know now too that the late CEO Mr Rush liked to bend some of the rules, i think he wouldn't have minded cutting some corners in terms of lesser inspection work, saves up money

similar happened at Alaska Airlines, back when that one crashed near the coast of california, when its tail rudder simply broke off, when that could've been an easy fix by maintenance crew, but the alaska airlines bosses told them not to as that was gonna take more time, also similar, there was also a whistleblower who tried to expose them but got sacked few days before the accident

i very much agree, always agree anyway with NTSB team, that you should never save up money on inspections or maintenance, something what might just save lives

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-06-2023, 06:35 PM #407
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

self-oscillating

Favourites:

bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-06-2023, 05:25 PM #408
🌈😈🌈👊🏾🌈👻🌈🫦🌈🔥🌈

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB14: Frenchy
🌈😈🌈👊🏾🌈👻🌈🫦🌈🔥🌈

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB14: Frenchy

Human remains have been recovered. Ew. Do you think they are all squashed into one?
UserSince2005 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-06-2023, 08:16 PM #409

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserSince2005 View Post
Human remains have been recovered. Ew. Do you think they are all squashed into one?

After all this time .. can’t be any if the sub survivors surely ..

Zizu is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-06-2023, 08:35 PM #410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizu View Post
After all this time .. can’t be any if the sub survivors surely ..

Of course not , it could be bits of clothes with dna , suvivors no way. Instant death.
hijaxers is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-06-2023, 08:36 PM #411
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

... and a Rubiks cube
Old 03-07-2023, 04:29 PM #412
You know my methods

You know my methods

LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 08:36 PM #413
God Save The Rave

God Save The Rave

So you're saying we should build subs out of whatever that hydraulic press is made out of. Vibranium or summat.
Old 03-07-2023, 08:38 PM #414
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Carbon fibre is fine for the job provided it is designed and manufactured to the correct standards
Old 03-10-2023, 01:58 PM #415
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Carbon Fibre is also used for Planes

as long as you give it proper maintenance what it requires every once in a while, to prevent too much metal fatigue from building up, it does its job perfectly fine

i blame Oceangate for this disaster, its CEO Mr Rush whom was basically cutting corners on such important things like maintenance, breaking several rules too

also controlling this submersible with a Playstation controller is also ridiculous, okay its cheap but a multi million dollar sub needs proper controls, not just a PS controller worth like 40 or 60 euros

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
&#, &#&#, &#&#&#, &#&#&#&#&#&#, &#&#&#&#&#&#titanic, &#&#&#titanic, 10am&#sos, 12&#sos, 2023, 2023&#&#, 2023, 2023$, 2023&#all, 36, 48, 70, disaster, found&#&#&#, heard&#&#&#, hope, hours, left, left&#&#&#, left&#sos, lost, lost&#debris, titanic