Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 29-12-2023, 10:25 PM #51
God Save The Rave

God Save The Rave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Not at all surprised you haven’t been pulled by Liam or SB on this ‘joke’ try inserting Muslim for Murphy and count down to the outrage lol
I find outright jokes about these things a bit of a non-event Cherie, what gets my goat is people refusing to admit to having the attitudes and prejudices that are as plain as the nose on their faces .

You do nowt but strawman these days also . I quite plainly even said that yeah tbh I'd get a bit nervous if I saw a Muslim praying on a flight, that it's human nature given past events - so where is the outrage? I simply accept the obvious human psychology of snap reactions being unavoidable, and the clear fact that getting nervous about one religion (specifically) more than others is xenophobic. It just is. As an impartial fact, not even a judgement.
Soldier Boy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-12-2023, 10:37 PM #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier Boy View Post

I quite plainly even said that yeah tbh I'd get a bit nervous if I saw a Muslim praying on a flight, that it's human nature given past events - .

….and that is the point being made. I don’t believe that anyone on this forum would, even for a split second, feel that way had they seen that on an aircraft prior to take off or after take off.
As unfair as it is…it’s human nature and a natural reaction….
rusticgal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-12-2023, 10:42 PM #53
God Save The Rave

God Save The Rave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticgal View Post
….and that is the point being made. I don’t believe that anyone on this forum would, even for a split second, feel that way had they seen that on an aircraft prior to take off or after take off.
As unfair as it is…it’s human nature and a natural reaction….
Yes it is but it is still (by definition) xenophobic ... it's a form of racial profiling. I don't really see the harm in recognising and admitting our prejudices without getting precious about it - not one person on this earth has "no prejudice" and it's pointless to pretend otherwise or to take offense every time it's recognised. In fact I'd go as far as to say that anyone who claims to be 0% racist is either lacking in self-awareness, or simply lying.
Old 29-12-2023, 11:02 PM #54
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I find outright jokes about these things a bit of a non-event Cherie, what gets my goat is people refusing to admit to having the attitudes and prejudices that are as plain as the nose on their faces .

You do nowt but strawman these days also . I quite plainly even said that yeah tbh I'd get a bit nervous if I saw a Muslim praying on a flight, that it's human nature given past events - so where is the outrage? I simply accept the obvious human psychology of snap reactions being unavoidable, and the clear fact that getting nervous about one religion (specifically) more than others is xenophobic. It just is. As an impartial fact, not even a judgement.
Fair points for the most part.

KRO!
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-12-2023, 11:07 PM #55

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Yes it is but it is still (by definition) xenophobic ... it's a form of racial profiling. I don't really see the harm in recognising and admitting our prejudices without getting precious about it - not one person on this earth has "no prejudice" and it's pointless to pretend otherwise or to take offense every time it's recognised. In fact I'd go as far as to say that anyone who claims to be 0% racist is either lacking in self-awareness, or simply lying.
Are you saying that there's sum ting wong with people that claim to have zero racist thoughts or actions?

Seriously though I agree with you that everyone has some form of prejudice towards a particular group, whether it be race, gender, nationality, religion, political opinions etc, nobody can escape it.

KRO!
Old 29-12-2023, 11:40 PM #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
Well it's a Religion so it would be Islamophobia.

I know that I'm nitpicking.
No, it’s good you’re acknowledging the difference. Islam is ultimately not a race.

Don’t let your regret be stronger than your gratitude. And don’t hang on to negativity. That’s all.
Redway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-12-2023, 11:50 PM #57

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redway View Post
No, it’s good you’re acknowledging the difference. Islam is ultimately not a race.
Thanks Redway.

KRO!
Old 30-12-2023, 09:30 AM #58
God Save The Rave

God Save The Rave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
Are you saying that there's sum ting wong with people that claim to have zero racist thoughts or actions?

Seriously though I agree with you that everyone has some form of prejudice towards a particular group, whether it be race, gender, nationality, religion, political opinions etc, nobody can escape it.
I think racial bias either conscious or subconscious is inevitable unless someone is raised in a bubble. The absolute best one can do is to be aware of the subconscious part and make active decisions to counter the. I think there are plenty of people - charitable, perhaps most people - who do not WANT to have those prejudices. Ironically... Believing that they aren't there probably makes it more likely that they'll slip through.

To use the scenario in this thread as an example...

Person believes they have no subconscious prejudice

- I see a Muslim praying on a plane
- I feel uncomfortable with this
- I am ABSOLUTELY not a prejudiced or xenophobic person
- Thus, my fears must be justified / may be reasonable / sensible.

Person 2 acknowledges that they have those subconscious prejudices

- I see a Muslim praying on a plane
- This makes me uncomfortable
- I acknowledge that I have some prejudices based on past major world/news events
- I revaluate the situation on what the most likely reason is for them to be praying on a plane
- I wonder "is my comfortable feeling actually justified or realistic?"

Basically what I'm saying is, believing absolutely that you have no prejudice can actually lead to a more prejudiced outcome.

Last edited by Soldier Boy; 30-12-2023 at 09:37 AM.
Old 30-12-2023, 10:10 AM #59
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

…I do think though that it can also be very damaging and exasperating to apply labels …(…at worst…)…and pointless …(…at best…)…because it has such a closing down impact on so many issues that would benefit from more open discussion…anyway, one of the sad things is, which is reflective of a regressive society if you like….(…I suspect…)…if this very same thread/discussion had taken place with the very same people pre 9/11 and pre other terrifying world events that the responses would be different because ‘fear’ would not have been attached to some things in the way it is being referred to in the thread…the ‘prejudice’ that is being applied as a label is not an inherent thing or belief, it’s sadly become and becoming a learned thing attached to fear and yes…encouraged by the media and such the like but that’s also the way of the modern world…I don’t know what the ‘answer’ going forward is because there isn’t one as such, these things have no obvious ‘fixes’….because fear is such a powerful ruler and it’s the thing that is being mentioned most in the thread… people have not ‘developed prejudism’ in their beliefs and behaviours post 911, that surely wouldn’t make sense…what they’ve developed are various fears…and I know and realise that’s being acknowledged also but the labels are still being applied which will in my opinion, only close down and regress further…
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2023, 10:15 AM #60
Ninastar

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Michelle Visage
X Factor 2014: Fleur East

Ninastar

Favourites (more):

I agree that everyone has a natural bias. It just depends on how you treat others… but sometimes you have to take action

Ariana Grande concert for example

There were multiple people who were afraid to act because they didn’t want to seem racist and that is a big problem.

People are more afraid of accidentally seeming racist (when they weren’t… this guy was a terrorist) than potentially saving lives and that’s where my issue with being seen as offensive comes from
Old 30-12-2023, 12:41 PM #61
God Save The Rave

God Save The Rave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
…I do think though that it can also be very damaging and exasperating to apply labels …(…at worst…)…and pointless …(…at best…)…because it has such a closing down impact on so many issues that would benefit from more open discussion…
A few years ago I'd have agreed with you Ammi but my more recent stance would be that the slightest hint of criticism will have a closing down effect anyway, because that's just how it is in 2023, and people are not in the market for open discussion so you might as well say it as it actually is and as you actually see it from the off - because padding around the eggshells trying to preserve people's delicate sense of self is a complete and utter waste of time.

Better to hold up a mirror and highlight something immediately, that has a maybe 2% chance of resonating with someone, than to expect any sort of good-faith discourse. It's just not on the table at all.

Last edited by Soldier Boy; 30-12-2023 at 12:42 PM.
Old 30-12-2023, 12:43 PM #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
…I do think though that it can also be very damaging and exasperating to apply labels …(…at worst…)…and pointless …(…at best…)…because it has such a closing down impact on so many issues that would benefit from more open discussion…anyway, one of the sad things is, which is reflective of a regressive society if you like….(…I suspect…)…if this very same thread/discussion had taken place with the very same people pre 9/11 and pre other terrifying world events that the responses would be different because ‘fear’ would not have been attached to some things in the way it is being referred to in the thread…the ‘prejudice’ that is being applied as a label is not an inherent thing or belief, it’s sadly become and becoming a learned thing attached to fear and yes…encouraged by the media and such the like but that’s also the way of the modern world…I don’t know what the ‘answer’ going forward is because there isn’t one as such, these things have no obvious ‘fixes’….because fear is such a powerful ruler and it’s the thing that is being mentioned most in the thread… people have not ‘developed prejudism’ in their beliefs and behaviours post 911, that surely wouldn’t make sense…what they’ve developed are various fears…and I know and realise that’s being acknowledged also but the labels are still being applied which will in my opinion, only close down and regress further…

Well put Ammi...so true.
Old 30-12-2023, 01:20 PM #63
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesheriff443 View Post
Not be pulled because it’s an old joke that’s been around for years
And I’m clearly joking

Adding Muslim wouldn’t make it funny

How to confuse an Irish man

Give him a spade and a shovel and ask him to take his pick
and that is my point, no one can make a joke about muslim bombers without being called an Islamaphobe? but you are free to say Irish people are thick as a joke and not a word is said ? I dont care you can make jokes about who you like its the hypocrisy that gets me tbh

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'

Last edited by Cherie; 30-12-2023 at 01:29 PM.
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2023, 01:30 PM #64
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

btw I am sitting in the sun sipping a vino blanco, its great being thick

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 30-12-2023, 01:46 PM #65
God Save The Rave

God Save The Rave

Quote:
and that is my point, no one can make a joke about muslim bombers without being called an Islamaphobe? but you are free to say Irish people are thick as a joke and not a word is said ? I dont care you can make jokes about who you like its the hypocrisy that gets me tbh
Who made a joke about Muslim bombers? Who was called an Islamaphobe for making a joke? Is the hypocrisy in the room with us right now Cherie?

I don't think you're thick but you don't half just... make stuff up to support your argument... imaginary stuff that hasn't actually been said by anyone. Maybe a bit less day drinking would help .
Old 30-12-2023, 01:58 PM #66
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Who made a joke about Muslim bombers? Who was called an Islamaphobe for making a joke? Is the hypocrisy in the room with us right now Cherie?

I don't think you're thick but you don't half just... make stuff up to support your argument... imaginary stuff that hasn't actually been said by anyone. Maybe a bit less day drinking would help .
oh now I am a drunk as well...you really are a bitter person at times lol

Old 30-12-2023, 02:05 PM #67
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

or making jokes about Prophet Muhammad in the Danish and French cartoons

and then acting shocked they become victims of terror attacks

or Theo van Gogh whom made snuff films with a muslim actress Ayaan Hirsi Ali without her headscarf, also was kinda offensive to their culture, which got him killed (not just that but also being a racist towards muslims in the media)

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2023, 02:14 PM #68
thesheriff443

thesheriff443

Quote:
You are making assumptions again

Of course I can make a joke about a Muslim being a bomber because I’m someone that doesn’t associate someone praying on a plane being a bomber
Would making a joke in this thread go down well ?, well some would enjoy it but as the Irish jokes in this thread has shown you think I’m using them to dig at you .

I’m not by the way.
I’m happy you are enjoying yourself unfortunately my brother in-laws dad has just died so we are not having a great time

But life is taking the good with the bad
thesheriff443 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2023, 02:20 PM #69

Quote:

Enjoy....
Old 30-12-2023, 02:31 PM #70
Ninastar

Favourites (more):

Ninastar

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky91 View Post

I hate to say this Nicki but jokes shouldn’t really end with innocent people being killed

Like mayyyybe the terrorists are the problem here. Idk just a guess
Old 30-12-2023, 02:49 PM #71
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky91 View Post

Victim blaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninastar View Post
I hate to say this Nicki but jokes shouldn’t really end with innocent people being killed

Yup.

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2023, 03:40 PM #72
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticgal View Post
Enjoy....

Thank you Rusti I intend to, you never know when life will take a turn for the worst

Old 30-12-2023, 03:41 PM #73
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninastar View Post

insulting the islamic religion ain't stuff to joke about honestly

Old 30-12-2023, 03:42 PM #74
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesheriff443 View Post
You are making assumptions again

Of course I can make a joke about a Muslim being a bomber because I’m someone that doesn’t associate someone praying on a plane being a bomber
Would making a joke in this thread go down well ?, well some would enjoy it but as the Irish jokes in this thread has shown you think I’m using them to dig at you .

I’m not by the way.
I’m happy you are enjoying yourself unfortunately my brother in-laws dad has just died so we are not having a great time

But life is taking the good with the bad
Sorry to hear that, hope you and your family are okay, death is difficult at any time but especially more at this time of year.

Old 30-12-2023, 03:47 PM #75
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

are people also against Cat Stevens then for converting to muslim?

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
muslim, people, praying, public, thoughts