Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 29-03-2020, 06:05 PM #51
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

This is from 2003
https://www.info.gov.hk/info/sars/en/faq.htm
Old 29-03-2020, 06:09 PM #52
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper View Post
Names of the first 3 doctors in the UK to die from protecting us:

Amged el-Hawrani
Adel el-Tayar
Habib Zaidi

Remember this next time immigration is being used to sow hatred.
I was just reading about this so sad and 100% with what you say here, my guess is people will have very short memories.
Old 29-03-2020, 06:30 PM #53

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
100% Johnson PM
is at fault
he had Harder warnings
ignored them.
I think that's a bit harsh arista,he has been taking advice from health ministers etc,is he supposed to ignore them ? very unfair to solely blame him aswell, he did what he was told and thought best, NONE of these countries know the outcome and neither do we,there is no proof that more people have died than would have, the president of the nursing staff who works in London,said they have everything they need and things are getting through, its all well and good us all sitting back blaming and saying what we should do ,we are as much in the dark as anyone,this thing will take people and no one will be able to stop it,all we can do is try and do as we are asked and support those in charge who have a thankless job to do at the minute,they wont get everything right ,no one would,but they are doing the best they can,cut them some slack and be helpful.Its been explained several times why the lockdown was done when it was and not straight away,that seems like a pretty reasonable thing to me. imo.

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 06:35 PM #54
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
A coronavirus is anything that jumps from animals to humans isn't it like bird and swine?

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/novel-...stions-answers
No a coronavirus is a specific family of viruses (like influenzas) and is named after the shape of the virus under a microscope (has a "crown like" part at the top). Bird and swine flu are both influenza strains, Covid is a coronavirus strain.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 06:39 PM #55
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

That's not true.. there have been breakouts of extremely similar coronaviruses within the last 20yrs there are 100s of academic articles and contingency plans on best practice from the WHO and many many other health advisory bodies.
It's a total cop out and a lie to say they didn't know what the outcome could be, so as a member of the public that is at risk the reaction should not be naw, poor boris he didn't know.. it should be what do you mean you didn't know?! Of course you know it's your damn job to know!!
Old 29-03-2020, 06:39 PM #56
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazanne View Post
I think that's a bit harsh arista,he has been taking advice from health ministers etc,is he supposed to ignore them ? very unfair to solely blame him aswell, he did what he was told and thought best, NONE of these countries know the outcome and neither do we,there is no proof that more people have died than would have, the president of the nursing staff who works in London,said they have everything they need and things are getting through, its all well and good us all sitting back blaming and saying what we should do ,we are as much in the dark as anyone,this thing will take people and no one will be able to stop it,all we can do is try and do as we are asked and support those in charge who have a thankless job to do at the minute,they wont get everything right ,no one would,but they are doing the best they can,cut them some slack and be helpful.Its been explained several times why the lockdown was done when it was and not straight away,that seems like a pretty reasonable thing to me. imo.

Just to give you some further info on this line about how he's taking advice. When experts, ministers, or anyone else is providing advice, they don't say that he should do one thing or another, they only provide options with pros and cons. It is then the choice of the leader to pick the option he thinks is best.
Old 29-03-2020, 06:40 PM #57
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky91 View Post
it's more like very extreme form of pneumonia, and combined with how it spreads almost as rapidly as common flu virus then yes this is a serious virus
It is NOT like having a very extreme form of pneumonia at all in over 90% of cases. In a further 5% (of confirmed cases) it progresses to pneumonia-like symptoms needing an oxygen mask. In the worst 5% it requires a full ventilator (and that 5% is like severe pneumonia).

Please stop peddling the myth that everyone who gets Covid gets severe respiratory symptoms anything like pneumonia. It isn't true OR helpful.
Old 29-03-2020, 06:44 PM #58
-

-

Quote:
That's not true.. there have been breakouts of extremely similar coronaviruses within the last 20yrs there are 100s of academic articles and contingency plans on best practice from the WHO and many many other health advisory bodies.
It's a total cop out and a lie to say they didn't know what the outcome could be, so as a member of the public that is at risk the reaction should not be naw, poor boris he didn't know.. it should be what do you mean you didn't know?! Of course you know it's your damn job to know!!
Yup, pretty much every virologist has been warning that it was "when, not if" there would be a global pandemic sine SARS-1 and that was in 2003. And plenty were talking about it before that. No one was interested.

You can Google academic papers from 2005-or-so that were warning that this was coming.

Hopefully they've learned the lesson now because there will definitely be new outbreaks in future. And believe it or not this one isn't even comparatively all that bad. If SARS-1 had gone pandemic it would make this look like a walk in the park.
Old 29-03-2020, 06:50 PM #59

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Just to give you some further info on this line about how he's taking advice. When experts, ministers, or anyone else is providing advice, they don't say that he should do one thing or another, they only provide options with pros and cons. It is then the choice of the leader to pick the option he thinks is best.
Well Slim,I think he IS doing his best, this is an unknown virus and as yet NONE of us know what the outcome will be , it's kind of impossible to get everything right with it, I just think arista is being unfairly harsh as yet, we havent even seen the worst yet,but what do I know,and stay safe you

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 06:56 PM #60
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazanne View Post
Well Slim,I think he IS doing his best, this is an unknown virus and as yet NONE of us know what the outcome will be , it's kind of impossible to get everything right with it, I just think arista is being unfairly harsh as yet, we havent even seen the worst yet,but what do I know,and stay safe you
And you and your family.
Old 29-03-2020, 07:09 PM #61
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Just watched this.. the intreviewee suggets that you can become reinfected with this...so what good is the antibody test?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bus...a-2020-3%3famp
Old 29-03-2020, 07:14 PM #62
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

The comparisons in the death rates from Spanish flu are not comparable either the death rate was 0.2% or something ..whereas this it's 3.4% less people infected more deaths.

Oh and Spanish flu came back, it was swine flu in 2009/10 H1N1

Last edited by Kizzy; 29-03-2020 at 07:17 PM.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 07:38 PM #63
-

-

Quote:
Just watched this.. the intreviewee suggets that you can become reinfected with this...so what good is the antibody test?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bus...a-2020-3%3famp
That's from March 9TH, nearly 3 weeks ago (and the data on this is very fast moving). All of the latest evidence is that MOST recovered Covid-19 cases have immunity, and even when not full immunity, reinfection is milder. There were some scare stories about "even worse" reinfection in the early days when it had barely spread out of China but they were pretty much just gossip.
Quote:
The comparisons in the death rates from Spanish flu are not comparable either the death rate was 0.2% or something ..whereas this it's 3.4% less people infected more deaths.

Oh and Spanish flu came back, it was swine flu in 2009/10 H1N1
The mortality rate of Spanish Flu was 2.5% globally, I don't know where you got 0.2% from?

For Covid 3.4% of confirmed cases result in death but we know (for a fact) that testing at this point isn't just inadequate, it's ground to an almost total halt. You can't even get through to 111 to ASK. Some NHS front line staff can't get a test for 10 days+, other people with symptoms realistically can't get a test at all. The testing situation is even worse in Italy/France/Spain.

The real number of cases is much, much higher. That's not just a theory at this point, it's just how it is... Not enough tests by a long, long way. Expert opinion still places the true death rate in the 1% range which yes is worse than most normal variants of flu and still a scary number, but it's not unprecedented and lower than both Spanish flu and the smaller epidemic in the 50's.
Old 29-03-2020, 07:50 PM #64
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
No a coronavirus is a specific family of viruses (like influenzas) and is named after the shape of the virus under a microscope (has a "crown like" part at the top). Bird and swine flu are both influenza strains, Covid is a coronavirus strain.
Ah right sorry if I'd have read on it notes the zoonotic strains of both.
Old 29-03-2020, 08:03 PM #65
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
That's from March 9TH, nearly 3 weeks ago (and the data on this is very fast moving). All of the latest evidence is that MOST recovered Covid-19 cases have immunity, and even when not full immunity, reinfection is milder. There were some scare stories about "even worse" reinfection in the early days when it had barely spread out of China but they were pretty much just gossip.
The mortality rate of Spanish Flu was 2.5% globally, I don't know where you got 0.2% from?

For Covid 3.4% of confirmed cases result in death but we know (for a fact) that testing at this point isn't just inadequate, it's ground to an almost total halt. You can't even get through to 111 to ASK. Some NHS front line staff can't get a test for 10 days+, other people with symptoms realistically can't get a test at all. The testing situation is even worse in Italy/France/Spain.

The real number of cases is much, much higher. That's not just a theory at this point, it's just how it is... Not enough tests by a long, long way. Expert opinion still places the true death rate in the 1% range which yes is worse than most normal variants of flu and still a scary number, but it's not unprecedented and lower than both Spanish flu and the smaller epidemic in the 50's.
Thank goodness I really hope there is no reinfection I didn't think that could happen with any virus once you had it and fought it off you were immune? ..

I've read that figure a lot today as the exposure was so high, millions getting it even though the deaths were high the death rate based on those infected was low? Mind you that could have been from the 2009/ 10 H1N1 flu?

Yep testing is pants. . Practically none existant, thing they're hoping most will peg it at home without any fuss. The death rate is still rising so who knows? I hope 1% is right over 3.4% :/
Old 29-03-2020, 08:08 PM #66
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

What a ****

Old 29-03-2020, 08:16 PM #67
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Old 29-03-2020, 08:25 PM #68
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis G

Quote:
That's actually the same as us unfortunately

The death figure is 'of those hospitalised'
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 08:31 PM #69
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post

Yeah, going to take a while before we get to grips with the actual numbers involved.
Old 29-03-2020, 08:39 PM #70
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
What a ****

They should have him in dictionaries as an example of the figurative use of the word c u n t

Last edited by Twosugars; 29-03-2020 at 08:39 PM.
Twosugars is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 08:40 PM #71
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB19: Sian

Quote:
Yeah, going to take a while before we get to grips with the actual numbers involved.
we can't even test all the living that we need to, it's going to be a long time till the dead are tested
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 08:46 PM #72
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post

Thus far, the number of deaths in the UK outwith hospitals should be extremely low, we haven't hit that level of crisis (yet) and most will have been transferred to hospital when moderately/severely ill but before death.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 29-03-2020 at 08:46 PM.
Old 29-03-2020, 08:54 PM #73
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
we can't even test all the living that we need to, it's going to be a long time till the dead are tested
They won't test the dead.
Old 29-03-2020, 09:05 PM #74
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

I just don't get these stats for the UK..
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Why Is the recovery figure so low and why are they saying only 163 people are critical if over 200 are dying a day?

Last edited by Kizzy; 29-03-2020 at 09:05 PM.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 09:09 PM #75

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Is it a comfortable death?
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags